Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

PSA: Brightness Changes in Hotfix 28.0.6

17 hours ago, Kongzer said:

I do not encounter any of these issues. Perhaps it is from having a 2070 graphics card?

if you about early mentioned in topic thats all was tuned and tweaked a bit.

if you about main issue causing this - it's still there and you do encounter this.

it's literally on your screenshot:
i2bMGbE.png

it's already looks painful on static. in dynamic gameplay it's completely unacceptable.

so no matter how much they tweak and tone this - it's there and it's trash.

• Like 1

If I knew how to easily make a video of it I would.

With glare on it is completely white from inside the elevator like your screenshot, yes.

Without glare on you can still see outside like in my shots that you replied above.

Fortuna is on Venus, closer to the sun than earth. Covered in white reflective snow. This is the same effect you get on earth in real life in the winter when leaving a dark basement.

The transition when leaving the elevator is very smooth and gradual.

33 minutes ago, Kongzer said:

Fortuna is on Venus, closer to the sun than earth. Covered in white reflective snow. This is the same effect you get on earth in real life in the winter when leaving a dark basement.

that does not excuse making it forced. does not excuse poor quality of it.

that's has been told many times, cinematic and real life effects are great on static scenes, not in actual gameplay.

in warframe everything constantly explodes, blinks and moves fast, on top of that there is also ridiculous amount of flashing effects even in ui elements. tie kinda crapy averaging any flashing effect on whole screen filter not making it look greater.

warframe core gameplay is not captura, that's why glare, bloom, distortions, grain and etc. being optional. autoexposure used to be optional too. and it should be optional as it was.

Edited by tipsy_princess
  • Like 2

Here's another example of where this forced autoexposure goes wrong.

https://i.postimg.cc/65Hfz3Vb/Warframe0005.jpg

Shoot a komorex in explosion mode at something relatively close, bonus points if it's also molecular primed. Notice how you can't see a damn thing any more.

16 hours ago, Kongzer said:

If you're going for real life, then you might perhaps want to think about how we're somehow able to run up a wall while holding a bow at full draw with perfect accuracy at some target a few hundred metres away.

Warframes don't have that problem, you might say? If they're engineered to lack the various physical flaws that human bodies have, why can they not also lack the flaws that human eyes have? Because that's what autoexposure, depth of field, motion blur, vignetting and a whole host of other crap is. Flaws. Defects. Compromises. Crappy biology.

Furthermore, my eyes are already doing plenty of automatic exposure correction on their own. I don't need the game adding even more on top.

• Like 2
On 2020-11-27 at 6:24 PM, tipsy_princess said:

half year passed still no option to turn this off...

Yeah, come on DE. Just give us the toggle switch. As stated multiple times before by me on a plethora of other places: Autoexposure causes migraines for some. Yes, it's an accessibility issue at this point!

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, TurianGarrus said:

Yeah, come on DE. Just give us the toggle switch. As stated multiple times before by me on a plethora of other places: Autoexposure causes migraines for some. Yes, it's an accessibility issue at this point!

That is indeed true, and i am one of the people who suffers from migraines, and the Auto-Exposure isnt making that any better.

I mean, arent our own eyes doing that sort of job on their own anyways? Adjusts acording to the light in a room or image.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Sasha_The_Lynx said:

That is indeed true, and i am one of the people who suffers from migraines, and the Auto-Exposure isnt making that any better.

I mean, arent our own eyes doing that sort of job on their own anyways? Adjusts acording to the light in a room or image.

Yeah, our eyes have built-in autoexposure, the size of our Iris change to alter to the right exposure for a specific scene. Making the game and the eyes do the same thing simultaneously just puts the eyes up for a ton of unneccessary extra adjustments, which may or will lead to migraines. ((SPECULATION) lol I am no Doctor with a Ph.D.  :P)

just checking if they have fixed the issue, it was one of the reasons I stopped around deimos and I´m surprised they still haven´t fixed this issue

just keep on posting and linking in every update post please everyone till they actually recognise and fix the issue or revert the system to the state before the quality/color degradation update

• Like 2

I have to say that this forced darkening of brightening of areas is both an eyesore and a real pain. My eyes burn if I play a session in the derelict because of this continuous change in illumination.

I'm playing a game, my irises should not be constantly forced compensate to sudden unrealistic and continuous drops and spikes of brightness and contrast.

Sometimes it's absolutely impossible to discern what happens on screen as everything is black, then suddenly I'm blinded by colors...

Let us turn off the adaptive exposure like it used to be. Please.

• Like 4

Ok ok I'm back and I digress. I see the issue more clearly now.

I turned my brightness from 35 to 40 because of doing more Eidolon' hunts and not being able to see the Vom's from a distance when in archwing, especially during the day with sunlight coming in the window.

And somehow that made this issue much more noticeable. Like there is a larger variance of light to dark when this 'auto exposure' thing kicks in.

I experience it more of a problem with it darkening the screen instead of it brightening the screen.

I notice it likely also has to do with how bright your ability colors are and how much you are using those abilities.

Yea it's kind of a nuisance.. if you are all saying it used to be an option to disable. You have my vote all in for this!

Edited by Kongzer
  • Like 2

did anyone order some epileptic seizure?

i have one free for u

giphy.gif

oh ye and i was recently making some captura edit.

giphy.gif

so to the point of cinematic effects can be used outside normal gameplay. well. it's pain even in captura. not like i tried to rec falling into nuclear dawn you know...

Edited by tipsy_princess
  • Like 2
On 2020-12-01 at 4:09 PM, TurianGarrus said:

Yep... I miss WF too.
Edit: There's still a lot of stuff I really dislike. Especially some recent changes... Still, not being able to play at all sucks (just in case there will be more story to explore. rn I'm fine without. this game) and I feel for all the Tenno who have it even worse as me regarding lighting issues etc.

Edited by Silescere

@TurianGarrus Sure, but how?

Other than these forums we only have customer support for contact. And I highly doubt that misusing those guys as a channel to DE is a good way of doing things.
It is ridiculous that not a single answer / reaction has been given here thus far. And I don't mean a "we are looking into this" copypasta, but a "give it up, we no going back to toggle Adaptive Exposure" or a "We do understand this is an acessibility issue and we will fix this at some point". We have been waiting for half a year!

Hey, I do realize we ARE a minority with our issues... But so are colorblind people.
So maybe think about this again, DE. We don't need a full mode, just give the toggle back.

On 2020-12-21 at 2:11 PM, Silescere said:

@TurianGarrus Sure, but how?

Hey, I do realize we ARE a minority with our issues... But so are colorblind people.

we are minority only in terms of knowing what's wrong and keeping posting messages in thread nobody read.

in terms of autoexposure being trash visual experience we are not minority. most players wouldn't ever turn this option on if it would be off by default. only some would do it for whatever reasons of their personal eyesore taste.

something alike was happening when steve did remove item labels. after a long war against such ui idiocy labels have been return as option. if every person who was glad i did explain them where to turn this thing on would pay me just 1 plat, lol, then i would be a first plat billionaire in game no doubt.

players just don' know their odd small personal issues they experience belong to autoexposure.

p.s. colorblind people have option in pretty much everything, color blind filters are in some monitors options, directly in windows options, in gpu stuff and also sure there is gazillion of apps. color blind filters should have never been a part of a game cause they already persist in system settings. better indication, labels for colors and such sure a great addition to color blind people, but filters itself already built in os. so that's not same field with clunky poor exposure. we don't have an option in system settings to turn it off, you know.

• Like 2
On 2020-12-22 at 4:21 PM, tipsy_princess said:

so that's not same field with clunky poor exposure. we don't have an option in system settings to turn it off, you know.

huh, never thought about it like that before... Thanks for educating me :)

• 3 weeks later...

Contacted customer support with the hint to maybe make this issue known to the devs and was asked to make another post in the feedback section.
so that's the current state. Not much else I can do I guess :/

Edit: so yeah, while the adaptive exposure is a main issue, the shader or whatsoever changes that were made in the same update, didn't exactly make the game look nicer either. The textures just look wrong, overglared and some frames are plastic/dirty (Ember as example)

Edit2: So while playing normal game with all precautions / reduced settings etc is somewhat possible (not pretty, not really fun), I thought maybe trying Deimos won't be that bad either. Boy was I wrong.
No clue how they did it, but those spotlights in Necralisk for example hit me as hard as a neon flashlight after I've been in a dark room. It happened so sneakily, because I was looking away from the screen until I reached Son to look at the new pets... and after a few minutes in his menu and then leaving I got quite the heavy reaction and afterwards my eyes reacted to every little thing even in Oldframe -.-
Deimos is completely out of the question for me as long as I'm not given any control over how damn intense a light source can be in comparison to its surroundings!

The thing that puzzles me most is the fact that we also have round ground lights in our dojo lab. They look bright, but somehow gentle and diffused. I can look at them no problem (with all my reduced settings mind you). Point is: They apparently CAN do light that don't affect the player as badly.

The reason I play at all? Banshee prime and Helios. Things  I've been wanting since I started WF. So currently I'm chewing through my painkillers^^ (No attention grabbing, my choice alone, my consequences. Just a fact)

Edited by Silescere
  • 2 weeks later...

okay.. not only Deimos.. gotta skip out on Ob Vallis, too. Outsch.

I never thought about those open world areas as  "content island" or "waste" . I dearly love them. The plains are my favourite <3
I just hope there will be a time, when I can control the lighting settings again.

10 hours ago, Silescere said:

okay.. not only Deimos.. gotta skip out on Ob Vallis, too. Outsch.

I never thought about those open world areas as  "content island" or "waste" . I dearly love them. The plains are my favourite <3
I just hope there will be a time, when I can control the lighting settings again.

Yeah, Venus is horrible. Every time you step out of a cave, it's time for a blinding nuclear dawn.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be great if we could get confirmation on the possibility of a slider in future. It looks like I am playing a J.J. Abrams Transformers reboot.

EDIT: I don't want to detract from the blood sweat and tears poured into this game by DE - I love Warframe so much and it's because I love it that this sucks so badly. 

If you do a google search for 'lens flare' it's uncanny how similar the lighting looks. 

:\

Edited by SiliconHydra
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Read most of this thread and wanted to drop a few recommendations for some lighting discomfort workarounds.

First, turn off volumetric lighting. You'll lose the static, atmospheric fog effects, but reduce the overblown brightness. You'll also see the changes to other settings much more clearly as you do other tweaks.

Next, the basics - turn off motion blur, screen distortions, bloom, and depth of field. Again, this makes further tweaks easier to assess and you can add them back one at a time to see what you can tolerate.

To reduce eye strain on Deimos, turn off GPU particles. This'll immediately remove most the the dust flecks that force you to squint to make out enemies/conservation targets.

Hope that helps someone while we wait for the lighting issues to be worked out. I don't see that happening anytime soon, based on the nuances that the devstreams focus on and the overweight of form over function.