PSA: Brightness Changes in Hotfix 28.0.6

SilverBones

On 2021-02-25 at 12:34 PM, Silescere said:

Sorry, it kinda helps but doesn't remove the strain that is forced upon peoples eyes. And WF looks... let's say "not nearly as nice" without bloom and volumetric lighting. My particles are also down as well as the effects intensity. I know you're being kind and trying to help, but we don't need a workaround, we really need that toggle back.
For me, changing the mentioned settings and setting my monitor to night mode let me at least play the normal game if I have my painkillers ready. I needed to take plenty (my choice to play at all, my consequences, nobody's fault).

I still need to exclude Vallis, Deimos and prolly Railjack (didn't dare to try).

Edit: Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed with us. It's not that we dare hope for a solution at all or any time soon.. still... we gotta at least try, right?

Oh, I 100% agree there should be a real fix for the brightness problems and was just hoping to lessen the blow for some people having trouble in the meantime. As someone that used f.lux for a decade and has been manually inverting webpages with css long before dark themes were a thing, I have some idea of the struggle.

I would stay far away from railjack if you have trouble with the the game's brightness. The main ship laser is super bright and you get the whiteout effect if you're on a crewship when it explodes.

• Like 3

On 2021-02-26 at 10:44 PM, Neurohax said:

I would stay far away from railjack if you have trouble with the the game's brightness. The main ship laser is super bright and you get the whiteout effect if you're on a crewship when it explodes.

Thank you kindly for the warning :) that saves me some headache

It is hard to not test railjack with the new update :/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Seriously DE, add back the auto exposure toggle switch. Players are getting migraines from it!!!!!!!

DE, THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN FURTHERING THE GAME STORY:

Auto Exposure being forced on is a HEALTH HAZARD!!!!

Autoexposure being forced on is a HEALTH HAZARD - Visibility bump

• Like 6

Not to mention that as summer approaches and the ambient light increases, this just makes it even harder to see things on even the "better" tilesets when the screen goes black if you enter a different room.

Seriously. My eyes are already full of defects. I'm already being punished by "high dynamic range" and "adaptive exposure" because the damn sun is shining through my window and making the screen look darker than it is. Why are you shovelling even more on top of that? I thought that warframes were supposed to be highly advanced technology. Why do their optical sensors have this critical defect?

• Like 1

We're heading for our one year anniversary soon for the lighting issue! :) Much wow!

They pulled a lot of #%$§ but this here takes the cake.

Right after this issue, these suck too:
- "Better" AW flight where I have to constantly adjust my height with space to not dive for the ground just because I aim down (works great in RJ, but crappy as hell literally everywhere else open world. Leaving the toggle in would have helped! But it really seems toggles are a dying trend). Flying into something and tumbling for what feels like ages is also none of my favourites
- the introduction of "face plant and stay down until you slam your keys like a madman, then roll somewhere to get up" instead of our frames jumping back to their feet after a knockdown or any of the sort (annoying as hell on a daily basis)
- the "no self damage" policy because stagger is so much better for a high agility game where people can jump in front of your barrel any time. Unstoppable Warframe / force? Shaking off explosions from barrels, but not our own weapons? Suuuureeee....
- the Itzal change still sucks MASSIVELY. Like a thorn in my side I can't pull out. I suggested reverting that AW specifically and put the hook (which one can realy use -.-) on the dodge button, so we get survivability back. Blink used to shake off projectiles back in the days...
- UI changes.. more fancy, less function, more lag, more transparency
- for some odd reason the cam moved closer to our frames. I prefer real 3rd person distance or make it adjustable...

So, while I can have to deal with the above points , because they are "just" a major gripe, making me fume every.time.I.play.
the autoexposure is a health hazard.
I seriously stopped playing for months alltogether and only intended to come back for story, but then a good RL friend joined the clan. Since then I have been more active again, so I have to deal with all of these points that grind my gears again. DE can do better, I've seen it and experienced it. Maybe that adds to frustration. Sorry for the offtopic, there's just so much I'm so fed up with.

Since I got a new pack of painkillers, I went to Deimos more or less recently with a friend so I can pick up the new pets I really adore. At first, all was cool, but I paid for those few hours with three days afterwards. I even wore sunglasses in the HUB or covered my eyes in general, but yeah *shrugs* didn't work

Found out during the Razorback fight that some Bursas seem to throw flashbangs... outsch. Really.

By now I at least know I will get flashbanged in the loading screen (which I'm always reminded of if I spend too much time admiring the background) and I close my eyes in advance or skip the entry scene alltogether, but that other one came as a surprise. Lovely!

We need that toggle back...really.

Edit: And as DE should be able to see in the recent Feedback megathread.. even people who have never been to this particular topic are stating epilepsie / migraine triggers and are stating the games lighting setting are out of control

New Corpus tileset (Sedna, Naga) Exterminate Invasion warning : If you jump into the blue/greenish Portal.. close your eyes! I was luckily warned by my clanmate

Edited by Silescere
  • Like 6

People are actually getting MIGRAINES from this and I do NOT tolerate it IN THE SLIGHTEST! t's just a matter of time before some1 has a seizure or something else very bad.

Steve Sinclair's vision about smoothness can go out the window, AutoExposure doesn't work that way! If You can just believe me for 1 minute. Make an auto exposure toggle and relieve hundreds of players from migraines. Please. We are talking about HUMAN HEALTH here!

• Like 5

On 2021-04-18 at 6:55 PM, TurianGarrus said:

People are actually getting MIGRAINES from this and I do NOT tolerate it IN THE SLIGHTEST! t's just a matter of time before some1 has a seizure or something else very bad.

Steve Sinclair's vision about smoothness can go out the window, AutoExposure doesn't work that way! If You can just believe me for 1 minute. Make an auto exposure toggle and relieve hundreds of players from migraines. Please. We are talking about HUMAN HEALTH here!

Somebody already had auras from this, it was the post about vauban's bastille having new lighting effects in combination with the auto exposure that triggered seizure auras. If that individual didn't immediately alt+f4, they stated that the aura would have developed into a full grand mal seizure WHICH IS A POTENTIALLY LETHAL EVENT.

YES PEOPLE DIE FROM GRAND MAL SEIZURES.

It's been almost a year since I last checked in on this is issue and I can't believe it's still going. I swear warframe is the only game that can get away with such a blatant health hazard. Not even the beloved cyberpunk 2077 could get away with intentionally triggering seizures in players and people practically used to worship that game and its company. This is unreal. I still refuse to believe this is happening a year later and nobody is being heard.

It really is a shame because despite all the flaws from when I played a year ago, I still genuinely enjoyed the occasional sortie and void relic opening sessions in the afternoons but DE would literally prefer to harm people like us for the sake of their artistic vision instead of just letting people play the game they like and even bought prime access/platinum bundles for. I still cannot believe I'm typing this.

• Like 8

@Oberonight It also seems that other people have issues. People, that so far haven't linked it to this change and even my friends who are "normal" in comparison to me find the visuals overpowering.

I read it here and there across the forums. I still fail to grasp why such an inclusive game refuses to let players adjust the brightness and contrast settings (including intensity and glare. ) to their needs. Many options that can be configured or have a toggle -on paper that is- are rendered useless because of Autoexposure, which is now pulling the strings.

Edit: I wonder what we can still do.. we keep writing in the forums, customer support is informed, but I don't think they relay information to DE... do we have to sign a petition next? (Though I'm halfway joking, that is the only thing I haven't tried yet)

Edit2: Might just be the ambient light in RL or my damaged eyes causing this, but the dark / shadowy areas in the game seem even more dark now (including arsenal or classic color palette), with the illuminated areas or light in general being still as intense as ever. Anyone else seeing this or am I getting worse? ^^' (I'm not complaining btw, I just noticed)

Edited by Silescere
typo
  • Like 2

DE, You're hard against gambling, are You? If Yes, then why the hell are You blatantly gambling peoples lives with having Auto Exposure forced on? This has been a major issue since Steve Sinclair's vision about smoothness went into action. Dynamic Exposure can and sometimes will lead to headaches and/or Seizures. Some people CAN DIE FROM IT!!! You got to have a Dynamic Exposure toggle in Video Options. Please, we're talking about human lives here!

• Like 3

i just gonna leave it here to justify in 100th time how poor trashy and unneeded that new light system is. this scene change from options to orbiter.

giphy.gif

this gif is not slowed down. it's exactly how it happens. look at that light change time it takes lol. and now imagine what happens when u dash at light speed among some bright tilesets or shoot stuff by explosions. doesn't matter will it be same slow or become better and faster, those transitions should not exist at all.

@[DE]Steve buy me sunglasses.

Edited by tipsy_princess
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Whole game kinda dimmed down... lightsources still same intesity go brrrr

I hope they keep going. Toggle still needed :/ I miss catching Virmink, I'd love to explore Deimos further and carelessly jump into more Railjack...
Some RJ nodes seemed fine, some I had to leave right away. But honestly, I rather not risk it.
Those areas as well as some boss fights are off limits for me still

• Like 1

I took a 2 year break from the game and recently back into it. I suffered from really bad eye problems a couple of weeks back and couldn't figure it out. 

This thread explains all  . I never used to have issues even in long sessions.

I might have to stop again if I can't find a setting somewhere to make it better. 

Any way of overriding what is hurting my eyes ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rumble111 said:

Any way of overriding what is hurting my eyes ?

Nope. There used to be way to disable it, but DE went in and removed the option. They want you to suffer.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that no matter how much we howl, they wont bring it back.

I find it a bit odd, and sad how they do give people with colorblindness the options to adjust colors (Depending on what colorblindness they have), but doesnt give us with migraine problems the same treatment.

It be nice if we could get some response, even a technical explaination as of why we cant have it back. Turning off Migraine Exposure could lead to the game glitching out? Maybe the coding on the new rendering engine doenst allow it? Gotta be something they could tell us.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Sasha_The_Lynx Maybe that's just me, but I don't really care about explainations in favour of autoexposure. The only thing I wanna know of is if they're working on it or if they aren't and will or won't.

If one decides to get rid of an old renderer, the new one should be ready to use and have at least the same features so everyone can continue to enjoy.
If the new one is still something they wanna test, fine, tell us, so we can have some light at the end of the tunnel, because the current one is crappy (even without taking AutoMigraine into account). I don't consider myself a big spender on this game, but I always made sure that whatever I could afford, I paid to give something back.
Guess we are a minority that can be neglected, seeing that it has been 11 months.

@Rumble111 Like DoomFruit said, there currently is NO way to remedy what those automated lights that override your settings are doing. If you find the time, go through the thread, I posted what my current settings are somewhere here and even then the strain in some areas is too much for me. I was like you. Could play for 10+ hours, any region, no problem. Well, that's a thing of the past now :/ I still log in if a clan member (RL friends) asks, but only when I have painkillers ready and I still have to avoid the described areas.
But please don't hesitate to ask about my settings in detail if you think that might help you :)

@SilverBones Please...?

Edited by Silescere
typo
  • Like 1

@Silescere thanks I'll go find your settings.  But to be clear I don't get migraines but my eyes feel burnt, itchy, and I had to take a day off work the first time it happened as I hadn't adjusted my brightness. I'm still playing and putting up with sore eyes for now.  It persists all through the next day. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Rumble111 yeah, the migraines is me, so sorry if that came out wrong.^^ Your symptoms aren't something to take lightly either though. Please take good care of you.

Edit: My mistake. not sure if I put them in here properly.
Classic engine, brightness + contrast unchanged at 50, effects intensity between 30-50 (depends where I wanna go), the only effects I have toggled on are Ambient Occlusion + High Shader Quality + Sharpen Temp VFX (which is set to 35) + Character Shadows.
Rest has toggle set to off.
I also set the Particle System Qualitiy and GPU Particles to low - medium.
Like that, my game is as ugly as it never has been before, but I can at least somewhat play.
And just in case a patch has meddled with the Legacy Color Palettes' setting under the gameplay tab, check if that is still switched off.

Edit2: Enjoy the beautiful loading into mission screens, but close your eyes at the end for the flash bang.

Edited by Silescere
  • Like 1

On 2021-05-20 at 6:28 AM, Silescere said:

@Rumble111 yeah, the migraines is me, so sorry if that came out wrong.^^ Your symptoms aren't something to take lightly either though. Please take good care of you.

Edit: My mistake. not sure if I put them in here properly.
Classic engine, brightness + contrast unchanged at 50, effects intensity between 30-50 (depends where I wanna go), the only effects I have toggled on are Ambient Occlusion + High Shader Quality + Sharpen Temp VFX (which is set to 35) + Character Shadows.
Rest has toggle set to off.
I also set the Particle System Qualitiy and GPU Particles to low - medium.
Like that, my game is as ugly as it never has been before, but I can at least somewhat play.
And just in case a patch has meddled with the Legacy Color Palettes' setting under the gameplay tab, check if that is still switched off.

Edit2: Enjoy the beautiful loading into mission screens, but close your eyes at the end for the flash bang.

Half-Assed workarounds aren't enough. The toggle is required. We are done having migraines forced into our heads, DE seemingly aren't giving up, but they have to. No more suffering for the sake of God himself.

On 2021-05-24 at 12:39 AM, TurianGarrus said:

Half-Assed workarounds aren't enough. The toggle is required.

Uhm, you do know that I said that multiple times myself, yes?^^ I didn't put it there as a workaround either and never labeled it as that. Please at least make sure you keep yourself up to date with the thread to be able to tell the difference between someone who fights on the same side and someone who doesn't.
I only put my settings that let me play at least for some hours in some areas of the game, because someone "surprisingly"  was having trouble with the new lighting.
Like we all.

Seems HDR doesn't fix the new lighting system after all 🙃

pic in question:

Spoiler

c457b10335a1b1421ce6b479bc2f1207.jpg

• 1 month later...

Is this issue still going on? I have barely touched the game after this change because I don't want to spend 72 hours with a migraine and then take 2-3 weeks to recover from it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-07-05 at 10:07 PM, Leyvonne said:

Is this issue still going on? I have barely touched the game after this change because I don't want to spend 72 hours with a migraine and then take 2-3 weeks to recover from it.

To my amazement, this issue remains Unresolved! I can't believe DE are forcing Migraines on us all risking our lives.

*52,847 centuries into the Future*

DE still hasn't given us back the AutoExposure toggle switch. In that time period, hundreds of bajillions of people are still suffering migraines from AutoExposure's relentless migraines-dealing effect, hundreds of letters at a delapitated post office being WF.Forums about requests to get a toggle back remain in dozens of full-size containers at the arrivals dock not opened for review. 4 WFrames adversely affected by AutoExposure search through what's left of the delapitated post office trying to find an answer to why AutoExposure was never given back a Toggle. They knew that in the Golden Era, there was a toggle. They ran into some mechanism almost lost to time under a thick layer of dust. They prodded at it and it coughed to life.

On 2021-07-06 at 7:49 AM, DoomFruit said:

Yeah, you still get your eyes gouged out by a rusty spoon if the environment changes. It's no better than it was a year and a half ago.

LoL a rusty spoon. It wouldn's surprize me if that was a grineer spoon. XD

On 2021-07-18 at 1:21 AM, TurianGarrus said:

LoL a rusty spoon. It wouldn's surprize me if that was a grineer spoon. XD

Well, it certainly appears on Grineer maps. Here's what it looks like trying to grind up a grattler lich (using a tombfinger primary and Gauss to prevent knockback from point-blank blasts, it's much easier to run through and kill things to make the larvaling spawn):

Spoiler

Warframe0000.jpg

WOW, LOOK AT THOSE ADVANCED GRAPHICS. THAT WONDERFUL BLACK SCREEN.

Truly, this is the way forward. Not being able to see anything is soooo good. The graphics are so good that we can't actually see a damn thing.

• Like 1