PSA: Brightness Changes in Hotfix 28.0.6

SilverBones

1 hour ago, DoomFruit said:

Truly, this is the way forward. Not being able to see anything is soooo good. The graphics are so good that we can't actually see a damn thing.

Tbh for a moment I thought I was looking at a SS of Path of Exile.. Just looking at the picture is making my head hurt -.-

• Like 1

On 2021-07-21 at 8:23 PM, Leyvonne said:

Tbh for a moment I thought I was looking at a SS of Path of Exile.. Just looking at the picture is making my head hurt -.-

Yeah. It's gotten to the point where if I get headaches pretty quickly unless I do my larvaling hunting by looking almost entirely at the minimap. I suppose it's a good thing that I know the grineer galleon tileset enough to navigate from the map alone. I'd never be able to tolerate all those hours plural of constant Cassini aborting to find that one weapon out of nineteen (more like one out of sixty from the rate I get grattlers) otherwise.

So yes, these graphics are so "good" and "advanced" that I'm better off not looking at them in the first place. Hell, even Gouraud shading would be better than this. At least it wouldn't physically hurt to look at and I'd actually be able to see where I'm going.

• Like 1

@DoomFruit Then the change that Liches and according to a friend (because I can't play half the game) the Sisters also flee to space with all the RJ light glory to have a final fight will certainly be a reason to celebrate for you too I guess? Don't know how it works for you, but for me that's an additional kick in the gut and a KO criteria :/
Edit: Additional question... do you own a HDR Monitor or know someone that does? Does it really solve the glaring/blazing issue? Just asking because I've been told quite some times, that such a monitor would solve the autoexposure problem, but from what I've seen so far, it sure doesn't. What are your experiences?

I mean, I already can't play Vallis, Deimos and RJ since this change over a YEAR ago (I did visit Deimos and RJ maybe twice but with regrets and handfull of pills at the ready) and I'm honestly afraid I might not even be able to continue the story at this point. And boy does WF have a great setting and story! So, yeah, I just feel sad about this. The teaser trailer with a view on the war from different perspectives looked so promising, but I already could tell that light sources are still out of control. Especially in a dark environment.

I'm also afraid of another event like Scarlet Spear. I participated basically nonstop back then and I loved it with a passion! But with this lighting... Dog Days was glaring. And I'm sure I won't be able to participate this time around against the sentients 😭

And they have a bunch of other graphical issues which were also pointed out, but nothing done so far. *shrugs

Edited by Silescere
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a small QoL I tried: I cranked the Gamma down (on NVIDIA settings it's below my so far untouched standard of 1).
I tested RJ with that and I could somewhat manage it. It is still not comfortable or relaxing... I keep worrying.
Anyway... Due to my additional settings and hence my very low effects intensity, I can't see the torpedos launched at my ship from Corpus Crew Ships, but at least I can run a few missions without 100% chance on a migraine attack.

Don't forget to turn down particles, no bloom and whatnot I already put down here. Game's lighting is still obnoxious. I hope everyone is taking care of themselves and I hope DE at some point removes some recent ways forward sometime in the near future...

Edited by Silescere
  • Like 3

I have a feeling that nothing is ever gonna change, and this thread ignored. Feels like that DE sees Migraine as Trypophobia is viewed, (As Rob Dyke said, that everyone seems to have but nobody can barely spell it), and thus it ahs been ignored all this time?

If this is the case, we might as well start spamming bread, like High Resolution pictures of bread. Probably wont change anything (other than maybe make the devs hungry for bread).

Spoiler

And yeah if you cant tell, im still frustrated myself about this whole thing with teh Adaptive Exposure buttom removal

and heres some bread

293530.jpg

Edited by Sasha_The_Lynx
  • Like 4

Oh.... So that explains why Turning HDR off makes the game Ultra Bright in some areas and ultra dark in others (Orb Vallis being culprit number one)....

Well.... Atleast now I have an explanation..... I'm still blind though 🧐...

• Like 2

On 2021-07-26 at 8:30 PM, Silescere said:

@DoomFruit Then the change that Liches and according to a friend (because I can't play half the game) the Sisters also flee to space with all the RJ light glory to have a final fight will certainly be a reason to celebrate for you too I guess? Don't know how it works for you, but for me that's an additional kick in the gut and a KO criteria :/
Edit: Additional question... do you own a HDR Monitor or know someone that does? Does it really solve the glaring/blazing issue? Just asking because I've been told quite some times, that such a monitor would solve the autoexposure problem, but from what I've seen so far, it sure doesn't. What are your experiences?

Sorry, I completely missed the @ there.

No, I don't have an HDR monitor, nor do I have access to one. It wouldn't do me any good anyway, since I believe the game needs you to run Win10 in order to have hardware HDR output.

EDIT: and just to stay on topic, here's this week's reminder of "WTF is wrong with your rendering engine"

Warframe0001.jpg

Edited by DoomFruit
  • Like 2

On 2021-09-08 at 5:58 PM, DoomFruit said:

Sorry, I completely missed the @ there.

No, I don't have an HDR monitor, nor do I have access to one. It wouldn't do me any good anyway, since I believe the game needs you to run Win10 in order to have hardware HDR output.

No worries, I'm happy you replied at all =) So thanks for the input.

And yep, Win10 needed. I have a dual boot, so 7 and 10 available. I don't have HDR Monitor myself, but tried both WF and DX versions regardless.
That was a couple of months back and I didn't see any positive change. May still be because of all my reduced settings, but that is the way forward I have to play now,
no matter what OS :/
I'll test tomorrow if something changed for the better and edit my post here then.

Edit: Note to myself to not be as lazy and forgetful... still need to post results

Edited by Silescere

On 2021-09-10 at 2:03 PM, tipsy_princess said:

yack. de still just applying adaptive exposure in order to make their ruined lights be unnoticeable yet just making problem multiply on itself.

dem year passed. ffs.

I can't agree any more on that. The lighting is a huge fail in and of itself. Adaptive exposure just makes this lighting dumpster fire even worse.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that still puzzles me is: How could anyone think (no matter in which game) that Autoexposure is a good idea?
Allow me to share one or two sentences about myself.

I enjoy going for walks at night. I love the cool, clear air and in the winter the absolute silence aside from my breath and the crunching of snow under my feet. I have good eyesight. All I need to see where I go is the light of the stars. Moon not included. That alone is enough so I can see single blades of grass on a meadow.
Now, of course my eyes adjust themselves to the darkness and if someone were to shine a flashlight at me, it would A) seriously hurt me and B) make me blind for several minutes afterwards.
While games emulate the same effect for whatever reason (dark cave and a spotlight in it), they usually do not blind me or even reach the pain intensity of a modern day flashlight because the monitor is forgiving and my room properly lit. I still flinch, squint my eyes and it stings. I'm disoriented ingame because I have to look away and run/fly/fight blind for a couple of seconds. If I ignore those lights for too long and simply grin and bear it, I will have a migraine right the next day. So that isn't exactly an option either.
It is an absolutely unnecessary implementation of a hurtful RL effect, that adds nothing to a positive player experience.

Why would anyone think the emulation of intense light shone at one's eyes and the pain and "blindness" is something desireable in a game? Because of RealismTM? Jeez shove it someplace the Treshcone feels home. With all the other games around that don't care, I was always so happy I could go to the menu and switch that abomination off at least in WF. Good old times, eh?

Edited by Silescere
typo
  • Like 6

Okay, understood. This was something I noticed and I think it is a great change and something that people should be experimenting with. For people with the settings already set to the lowest is where it is most noticeable. Especially with explosions which also got a mention in the patch notes. Which leads me to the following question: 

Can we please have an effects intensity slider go even lower or at least respected regarding explosions? A rocket explosion should not be having a much higher effect on my screen compared to a person that is constantly using their warframe abilities. Since this is a still a setting that is available to us players to use.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

this is bad explosions effect itself. but even in case it get fixed, a next gif is great demonstration of adaptive exposure should be a toggle:

giphy.gif

^ this is not an explosions problem. this is dead light system issue and goddemit that light equalizing should be a toggle.

(btw all effects off. all. literally)

"YoU GuYs ShOuLd JuSt cAliBrAtE YoUr MoNiToRs" comment ^_^

@DeSteve sunglasses pls.

• Like 13

or this wonderful example of how game actively trying to flash you:

giphy.gif

this is not slowed down, speed up or edited anyhow besides crop ui parts.

that light tuning is not working for warframe. it's good only for static scenes but in dynamic ones it's literally only harms.

adaptive exposure in warframe never used to be good and never will because it's not working like that. it serves complete opposite purpose and never gonna match game pace. there is nothing to fix about it, it's simply should be optional. ffs.

• Like 7

Hi,

Just to add to this issue, Acceltra is literally unplayable its like supernova going off in the middle of the screen blinding everyone. Can someone confirm they are having the same issue?

@tipsy_princess thank you for capturing those moments! Maybe we should try and raise awareness for folks with migraines and whatnot. The light looks crazy intense and I really wonder if a HDR screen would help at this point. This can't be the solution.

I went to Vallis and Deimos recently, because clan member asked me to. Set my screen to nightmode, wore sunglasses mostly, but had to drop them for the Spider Heist. Whenever I closed my eyes afterwards, I had my own laser-lightshow flickering across my vision. No matter how I calibrate my screen or try and tune the effects, it won't dampen those intense spikes of blinding lights. It is not the overall brightness, it is those spikes. Especially bad in a darker environment (example Cambrion Drift) with its stupidly bright diffuse lightsources.

Thing is, before these "way forward" changes I could play any area and up to 14 hours without any problems. Zero. Why? Because there was no Autoexposure! I still avoid playing whenever I can in general. I'm frustrated with a lot of changes anyway, but I won't ruin the fun for any of my friends when I go online with them.

• Like 1

On 2021-10-05 at 7:36 AM, tipsy_princess said:

"YoU GuYs ShOuLd JuSt cAliBrAtE YoUr MoNiToRs"

Whenever I try to bring up this issue with anyone (other players, friends, people I know irl etc) I just get told I need to adjust the settings on my monitor. So I should mess up my settings that work for all the other 200+ games I own just to see if it helps me play Warframe. If I had issues with all games then it wouldn't be a problem, but if there is one game in my collection that gives me migraines (a game that I used to be able to play up 16 hours a day without issues).. I think I'd rather just drop Warframe and leave my settings alone.

• Like 5

On 2021-10-03 at 1:58 PM, Silescere said:

The thing that still puzzles me is: How could anyone think (no matter in which game) that Autoexposure is a good idea?
Allow me to share one or two sentences about myself.

I enjoy going for walks at night. I love the cool, clear air and in the winter the absolute silence aside from my breath and the crunching of snow under my feet. I have good eyesight. All I need to see where I go is the light of the stars. Moon not included. That alone is enough so I can see single blades of grass on a meadow.
Now, of course my eyes adjust themselves to the darkness and if someone were to shine a flashlight at me, it would A) seriously hurt me and B) make me blind for several minutes afterwards.
While games emulate the same effect for whatever reason (dark cave and a spotlight in it), they usually do not blind me or even reach the pain intensity of a modern day flashlight because the monitor is forgiving and my room properly lit. I still flinch, squint my eyes and it stings. I'm disoriented ingame because I have to look away and run/fly/fight blind for a couple of seconds. If I ignore those lights for too long and simply grin and bear it, I will have a migraine right the next day. So that isn't exactly an option either.
It is an absolutely unnecessary implementation of a hurtful RL effect, that adds nothing to a positive player experience.

Why would anyone think the emulation of intense light shone at one's eyes and the pain and "blindness" is something desireable in a game? Because of RealismTM? Jeez shove it someplace the Treshcone feels home. With all the other games around that don't care, I was always so happy I could go to the menu and switch that abomination off at least in WF. Good old times, eh?

On 2021-10-05 at 5:36 AM, tipsy_princess said:

giphy.gif

this is bad explosions effect itself. but even in case it get fixed, a next gif is great demonstration of adaptive exposure should be a toggle:

giphy.gif

^ this is not an explosions problem. this is dead light system issue and goddemit that light equalizing should be a toggle.

(btw all effects off. all. literally)

"YoU GuYs ShOuLd JuSt cAliBrAtE YoUr MoNiToRs" comment ^_^

@DeSteve sunglasses pls.

Seriously. What the ever loving hell is going on in the decision department when it comes to these 'changes'? I've had several of my friends abandon the game because of the initial ones, but these new changes made them never want to even look in the direction of this game again, lest they end up with splitting migraines and other health issues.

• Like 4

Okay, after watching HDR gameplay at a friend's house I gotta say, yes, it does look more nice, but not that much different. Before someone throws rocks on me now: I can only speak for myself and my screen. I know there's different qualities of HDR screens as well as the user's personal preference of settings. Still, I can only state what I saw.
I always wondered what people meant when they said "your game will look bleached out without HDR", because that doesn't exaclty happen on my end. The dark areas are still dark on my SDR, but there's definitely more contrast in darker areas with HDR.
Unfortunately it doesn't stop at that. The light sources, too, provide... Let's call it "more contrast". More than with my old screen. The intensity is WORSE than with my old screen. Especially, not exclusively, diffuse lights. I'm wearing sunglasses (not joking) already for areas like Deimos, Vallis and for RJ, what am I supposed to do in HDR ? xD

Edited by Silescere
  • Like 1

Le 12/10/2021 à 11:11, Leyvonne a dit :

Whenever I try to bring up this issue with anyone (other players, friends, people I know irl etc) I just get told I need to adjust the settings on my monitor. So I should mess up my settings that work for all the other 200+ games I own just to see if it helps me play Warframe. If I had issues with all games then it wouldn't be a problem, but if there is one game in my collection that gives me migraines (a game that I used to be able to play up 16 hours a day without issues).. I think I'd rather just drop Warframe and leave my settings alone.

That's what I almost did 🌚 

I had enough of this pesky brightness so I decided to use a freeware that can adjust it according to my needs, and when I don't play WF I disable it 🌝

This way I can keep "my ideal" settings on my computer and only have to do 4 really quick (hopefully !) clicks to play WF, hoping one day I won't use it anymore. For now I have no better solution.