Jump to content

PSA: Brightness Changes in Hotfix 28.0.6


Recommended Posts

I am more light sensitive than most people. In order to play Warframe for longer than 30 minutes without getting a headache, I have always had most lighting effects disabled. In addition, for the past 4 years or so I have played with a light filter app as well, cranking blue light down as hard as I can while still being able to see my environment by using one of the lowest settings on the light filter app.

This lets me play comfortably as long as I don't spend any time on Fortuna or PoE. Eidolons have never been worth the eye cancer for me. Sometimes I get unlucky with squad and have to leave at the start but I've gotten used to it (revanent/octavia/limbo/frost/mirage/etc with blinding energy colours). This has influenced my playstyle as well, and is one of the reasons I prefer maining melee support whenever I can: to spend as much time away from my own squad's abilities as possible while still buffing the group and fulfilling objectives.

I am actually mildly optimistic about the upcoming open world because the darker colour scheme means I might be able to spend some time there without going blind. but with this change to mandatory glare, who knows. Dynamic exposure is something I have always had disabled and am excited to discover over time what other content this change will prevent me from playing.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forced change is BAD - give us the option to choose our own visual experiences, for some of us this a very literal choice from headache/migraine to no-longer playing your game.

Light sensitivity is a real thing and suddenly having massive shiny glares on everything is incredibly bad for us

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

This update really messed up the optics of the game. I suggest firmly to revert back to the 2008 version - sure maybe it was more performance intensive - but at least the brightness been accurate.

Also why does this company does not calibrate their monitors? The colors allways seem off, the "color correction" is shameful and should rather be called "color destruction".

And now it even fails to accurately display brightness?

For me the orbiter is to bright, the places where light shines on. The HDR (meaning the the autoexposure not the gamut) is missing in the menu, I can't turn it off or on. 

Playing around with brightness and contrast cannot achieve correct grey scales. Even when correcting for the bright scenes, it breaks the dark scenes.

For me dark scenes are correctly displayed but there is no way to correctly display brights scenes. Nor can use HDR (the gamut) on normal, or even on HDR displays as the implemantation is lacking. Even with a HDR screen, Win10 HDR on, the option stays greyed out and I don't want to use it anyways because it would just make the bright scenes even brighter.

The funniest thing is the derelict now which shines in glaring blue color and everything is bright and moshy - which is actually nice.

Snow/Light scenes are unplayable now, because its just blinding.

 

To sum up: 

Revert or

make autoexposure optional again (there is still no game out there where that actually works good anyways) or

give as option to use the 2008 light model add a warning that it maybe is less efficiant and that brightness is then correctly displayed.

Then please invest like 50 bucks in a colorimeter and let someone calibrate your monitors so you can actually see things like other (we) people see, maybe give the design department also better monitors.

 

For the Future:

If you want to play around with light, why not with ray tracing or voxel global illumination?

edit: Also removing "8 bit" code, so on PC many people actually have 8 or even 10 bit monitors - is that the reason why also colors look washed out now? Does the hotfix mean the engine was downgraded to TV/console output levels?

Edited by Elocai
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing a bit more frequently than I had been since the update, I am noticing that even with my light filter on I am starting to get issues with headaches even in dark environments like kuva survivals after 20 minutes due to the screen randomly assaulting me with a glare-fest. It also makes enemies in some cases impossible to see for periods of time after some random light effect goes off.

Who cares if it is less performance intensive in some random ways than it was 12 years ago? Computers have gotten alot better since then. Give me back my option to disable trash lighting options that strive to make your game unplayable. Even my buddy who doesn't play with a light filter was complaining about the flashing and was asking me was was up with it (and I hadn't said anything).

I don't know what is up with Warframe's determination to simulate and worsen all the flaws of biological eyeballs in a game where you are playing as a cybernetic ninja robot. Please stop.

Edited by IG088
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, IG088 said:

Who cares if it is less performance intensive in some random ways than it was 12 years ago?

If the game has actively reduced in performance since 2013, then something has gone seriously wrong.

 

Also, look at this wonderful immersively realistic screenshot. Is the supposed performance increase due to the game not rendering most of the screen because it's decided to just black everything out except for a few flame textures in the foreground?

Warframe0003.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

If the game has actively reduced in performance since 2013, then something has gone seriously wrong.

 

Also, look at this wonderful immersively realistic screenshot. Is the supposed performance increase due to the game not rendering most of the screen because it's decided to just black everything out except for a few flame textures in the foreground?

Warframe0003.jpg

Fricken, jikes ._.

Good thing that the grineer dont use LED Armors, that be their ultimate weapon against us.

But for real, this is horrible, and for someone who suffers from migraines, it makes playing more difficult, and i have been trying to find ways to counter this Migraine Exposure. One idea i have yet to try, but thinking of is using Reshade with EyeAdaption with reverse values. No idea if that would work but, if it does, then that be quite the win for us with migraine problems.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sasha_The_Lynx said:

Fricken, jikes ._.

Good thing that the grineer dont use LED Armors, that be their ultimate weapon against us.

But for real, this is horrible, and for someone who suffers from migraines, it makes playing more difficult, and i have been trying to find ways to counter this Migraine Exposure. One idea i have yet to try, but thinking of is using Reshade with EyeAdaption with reverse values. No idea if that would work but, if it does, then that be quite the win for us with migraine problems.

After looking into Reshade a bit, I'm a little hesitant to try it since someone is claiming they got VAC banned from using it while playing CS:GO recently in Reshade's forums. Granted they didn't know what punctuation or capitalization were, buuuuuut... I'd be interested to hear your results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IG088 said:

After looking into Reshade a bit, I'm a little hesitant to try it since someone is claiming they got VAC banned from using it while playing CS:GO recently in Reshade's forums. Granted they didn't know what punctuation or capitalization were, buuuuuut... I'd be interested to hear your results.

I used Reshade for Warframe in the past, and so far DE hasnt had any problems with it. But if i do get the desired results, i make sure to post it here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After some experimentation, i have discovered that the Adaptive Exposure is as stuborn as Stalker wants you dead.

The idea behind a reverse value eye adaption didnt work (Tried 2 versions). While they could lighten up the scene when there is alot of explosions and flames, going outside of it will cause the screen to turn white, or washed out.

But during my experimentations, i found an interesting revelation. Apparnelty the Effect Intensity plays a huge part with this issue we experience.

jMBJTno.png

As you can see, different values affects not only the intensity of the effects, but apparently the Adaptive Exposure as well. (And yes, i used Garuda's adorable butt as a reference, shad aph ~w~ )

While not a fix, it is a decent workaround until DE understands that, Adaptive Exposure isnt everyone's cup of tea. Also, using Reshade can give players the ability to fix colors and lighting for a more comfortable experience for the eyes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sasha_The_Lynx said:

But during my experimentations, i found an interesting revelation. Apparnelty the Effect Intensity plays a huge part with this issue we experience.

As you can see, different values affects not only the intensity of the effects, but apparently the Adaptive Exposure as well. (And yes, i used Garuda's adorable butt as a reference, shad aph ~w~ )

While not a fix, it is a decent workaround until DE understands that, Adaptive Exposure isnt everyone's cup of tea. Also, using Reshade can give players the ability to fix colors and lighting for a more comfortable experience for the eyes.

Well, guess I'm doing that now. I've heard that this makes it almost impossible to see nullicancer bubbles and kuva clouds, but if that's the price for being able to actually see what's going on in the game, then so be it.

Let's try; here's another image of me being hit by Ruk's World on Fire:

Warframe0004.jpg

It's still not perfect - my eyes hurt just moving around in the orbiter, but at least I can see what's about to come up and hit me now. Unfortunately, I can barely see any of my own weapon or power effects, my small child mode's energy bubble is almost invisible and while I can now see enemies around me, I have no idea what or if they're shooting at me unless it's something obvious like a flamethrower.

It still looks like arse due to colour incorrection being forced on everyone in the last patch (hence the brown tint), but that's another matter entirely.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

Well, guess I'm doing that now. I've heard that this makes it almost impossible to see nullicancer bubbles and kuva clouds, but if that's the price for being able to actually see what's going on in the game, then so be it.

Let's try; here's another image of me being hit by Ruk's World on Fire:

Warframe0004.jpg

It's still not perfect - my eyes hurt just moving around in the orbiter, but at least I can see what's about to come up and hit me now. Unfortunately, I can barely see any of my own weapon or power effects, my small child mode's energy bubble is almost invisible and while I can now see enemies around me, I have no idea what or if they're shooting at me unless it's something obvious like a flamethrower.

It still looks like arse due to colour incorrection being forced on everyone in the last patch (hence the brown tint), but that's another matter entirely.

Certainly better than before. What i recommend (If you ahvent done so already) try set the particle System quality and GPU Particles on max. I can see my own effects and weapon effects quiite fine, maybe not as intense, but its there.

But it sure hell is better than suffering severe migraines, and we, as players souldnt suffer from it. So for now, i will always have the effect intensity to 10.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sasha_The_Lynx said:

Certainly better than before. What i recommend (If you ahvent done so already) try set the particle System quality and GPU Particles on max. I can see my own effects and weapon effects quiite fine, maybe not as intense, but its there.

But it sure hell is better than suffering severe migraines, and we, as players souldnt suffer from it. So for now, i will always have the effect intensity to 10.

Particle system was already at max, GPU particles was on high (one step below the maximum, "ludicrous"). Useful for some weapons, but not that much for hitscan pulse beams (eg. rattleguts) and it doesn't help with Trinity's Link. Still it is, as you said, better than it was before.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already gotten used to MOST of the changes in brightness and such, adjusted certain setting to fix certain issues like bloom brightness, and while I'm not running great hardware and do need a new PC soon there um.. There's a few issues which don't seem to be an issue with me, one of them is...

https://imgur.com/a/70iFP1A
 

WHY DO THE GRINEER HAVE AN ABYSS?

Jokes aside this seems to be an actual lighting issue on the maps itself that broke somehow, the autobrightness adjustments to make it tolerable but it's just strange opening a door into the void itself

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All those effects (when you use powers, get hit on shield/hp, arcanes proc, ground slam attack  etc..) are visualy painfull for my eyes.

I aggre that we need an option to turn off adaptive exposure or at least adjust it properly, photo sensivity is a thing some of us experience and result in headache for playing more than 30mn.

 

Edited by BeeM
  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
Am 14.8.2020 um 15:05 schrieb IG088:

After playing a bit more frequently than I had been since the update, I am noticing that even with my light filter on I am starting to get issues with headaches even in dark environments like kuva survivals after 20 minutes

Respect for lasting that long. I can't afford to risk it, trying out all the different settings until it is somewhat endureable. Edit: I want it to be enjoyable and good again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
That is simply put not my effing  job. I'm not a Dev, so it shouldn't be my job to "workaround" something DE broke until it is somewhat bareable for the player/customer again.
They -in strong contrast to me-, know what caused the issue and what to do exactly to revert / fix it.
And if that is not possible, why is there no settings guide from the team like "This is how to make WF look like it was before the change". I had the perfect setup, balanced lighting etc (no migraines/light sensitivity issues even after 8+ hours playing!), didn't change a single option and suddenly everything looks like crap, fluctuates and glares with glare deactivated.  I don't want to tweak the settings to the point, where there will be massive downsides to playability and looks, just to be able to somewhat play for longer than 30 minutes. Not worth it.

Edited by Silescere
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-07-15 at 10:40 PM, Tynam said:

Seconding this.  Autoexposure locked is actually a disability / access issue - people with migraine disorders cannot safely use a game where brightness is that unpredictable whenever you turn.

I've spent the last six months helping my disabled partner recover so she could play again.  She was looking forward to rejoining a clan.  But now that's off - if she tries to play with the locked autoexposure on, she'll be in literal screaming pain within two minutes.

Which means I'm going to have to stop, because I'd feel like a $&*^ playing a game that's just made itself physically inaccessible for her.

Coming on the heels of DE's wonderful colour-blind setting, it's an especially nasty blow.

Please, please, DE - give us back the adaptive exposure toggle.  Some people really, really need it.

^This. I have a friend that suffers from light sensitivity issues and gets bad migraines as well. Whatever DE did recently has made this game pretty much unplayable for them.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-08-13 at 12:36 AM, technozorro said:

DE is now forcing color correction on us,  my screen just changes tint on slam attack or when barrels explode

I am having the same issue. 
1.png?width=605&height=677
Top is bastille cast at my feet, bottom is seconds later. 
I cannot play the game for more than a few minutes without getting a killer migraine with all of the intense colors and absolutely NO way to fix it. 
I cannot enjoy the game anymore, they broke the colors, and the game looks nauseating. 
I just finished my vabuan and I was very excited to play him but now I can't even play the game as a whole without needing to take extended breaks while only playing a few minutes. 
No one asked for this, and they did more damage than good with the color 'fix.' 
This is inexcusable and makes me feel that DE devs don't even play their own game. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fobber said:

I am having the same issue. 
1.png?width=605&height=677
Top is bastille cast at my feet, bottom is seconds later. 
I cannot play the game for more than a few minutes without getting a killer migraine with all of the intense colors and absolutely NO way to fix it. 
I cannot enjoy the game anymore, they broke the colors, and the game looks nauseating. 
I just finished my vabuan and I was very excited to play him but now I can't even play the game as a whole without needing to take extended breaks while only playing a few minutes. 
No one asked for this, and they did more damage than good with the color 'fix.' 
This is inexcusable and makes me feel that DE devs don't even play their own game. 

I absolutely hate the Bastille change. Who wants everything blue while in Bastille?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

the auto exposure and colour correction give me eye strain, i have barely played the game since this change. please address this outrage and give us options to disable this so we can play the game without the pain!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the update that forced color correction with the setting toggled off and the adaptive exposure that brightens the screen when exiting caves in orbs?

Hopefully this gets remedied with the Deimos release on 25th, many sensitive eyes are ar risk :c

Edited by tennomantra
typo
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...