PSA: Brightness Changes in Hotfix 28.0.6

On 2020-08-12 at 10:44 PM, IG088 said:

I am more light sensitive than most people. In order to play Warframe for longer than 30 minutes without getting a headache, I have always had most lighting effects disabled. In addition, for the past 4 years or so I have played with a light filter app as well, cranking blue light down as hard as I can while still being able to see my environment by using one of the lowest settings on the light filter app.

This lets me play comfortably as long as I don't spend any time on Fortuna or PoE. Eidolons have never been worth the eye cancer for me. Sometimes I get unlucky with squad and have to leave at the start but I've gotten used to it (revanent/octavia/limbo/frost/mirage/etc with blinding energy colours). This has influenced my playstyle as well, and is one of the reasons I prefer maining melee support whenever I can: to spend as much time away from my own squad's abilities as possible while still buffing the group and fulfilling objectives.

I am actually mildly optimistic about the upcoming open world because the darker colour scheme means I might be able to spend some time there without going blind. but with this change to mandatory glare, who knows. Dynamic exposure is something I have always had disabled and am excited to discover over time what other content this change will prevent me from playing.

DE please acknowledge this and the many other cases.  This is not simply a matter of aesthetic preference.  It's an accessibility issue.

• Like 7

I know that the game is not mine and my account is also not mine, you own everything; but I would like to make it clear that I didn’t like the change or be obliged to use a skill of dark and medium green light whenever I use some skill to reduce the effects of uz that enter my screen, this is very, very bad indeed and I believe that this idea of you doesn’t have any vote to know what the osp layers want, like say: I don’t own anything, but that’s my opinion.ps: (I wear glasses and I believe these light effects are impairing my vision)

😡🥵

• Like 2
On 2020-08-17 at 3:01 AM, Numerikuu said:

^This. I have a friend that suffers from light sensitivity issues and gets bad migraines as well. Whatever DE did recently has made this game pretty much unplayable for them.

^We NEED to forward this to DE directly. They reduce their own playerbase by making player eyes bleed. Almost literally.

• Like 2

This might come out as a stupid question, taking into consideration how far down on the thread it is, but here we  go: I've visited this PSA-thread multiple times without knowing what PSA stands for and am curious about what PSA abbreviates.

Edited by TurianGarrus
Reason behind: Clarification.
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, TurianGarrus said:

This might come out as a stupid question, taking into consideration how far down on the thread it is, but here we  go: I've visited this PSA-thread multiple times without knowing what PSA stands for and am curious about what PSA abbreviates.

Public Service Announcement.

• Like 1

Good lord, they still haven't even responded to this? 

It's the brave new melee all over again; but this time with a different issue nobody gets listened to about by the developers.

DE, for heaven's sake. I last played Warframe on Aug 1 according to Steam. If I have gone literally a month without even the desire to boot the application up, if I'm not remotely intrigued by Heart of Deimos and the new slew of bugs you guys also won't fix that it undoubtedly brought; there likely is a good and strong reason for that.

People literally can't see. People are experiencing fatigue, naseua, and visual exhaustion. 

If the graphical change is an inalterable, searing, painful experience causing the player community genuine physical symptoms; it might be time to consider the unfortunate fact it was, inherently, a bad graphical change to make.

Put that toggle back in.

• Like 6

I found some new discovery, and this one is pretty simple. If you havent, disable Bloom entirerly. It may look nice in some areas, but ultimatly, its not worth the eye strain. What i discovered is that the Adaptive Exposure reacts strongly to Bloom, like alot.

So if you like, try set the Effect Intensity to something higher, like 30 or 40 or so, and turn off bloom and see how it goes.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sasha_The_Lynx said:

I found some new discovery, and this one is pretty simple. If you havent, disable Bloom entirerly. It may look nice in some areas, but ultimatly, its not worth the eye strain. What i discovered is that the Adaptive Exposure reacts strongly to Bloom, like alot.

So if you like, try set the Effect Intensity to something higher, like 30 or 40 or so, and turn off bloom and see how it goes.

I'm already doing that. While it reduces the intensity of autoexposure, it does not cure it. I still get the screen turning completely black when Ruk uses World on Fire, I still get painful burning nuclear dawns when exiting venus caves and the general screen brightness still goes up and down and up and down simply from moving around (with the resulting headaches and eye strain being as strong as ever).

• Like 2
5 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

I'm already doing that. While it reduces the intensity of autoexposure, it does not cure it. I still get the screen turning completely black when Ruk uses World on Fire, I still get painful burning nuclear dawns when exiting venus caves and the general screen brightness still goes up and down and up and down simply from moving around (with the resulting headaches and eye strain being as strong as ever).

understandable, but so far, this is one of the only methods we have sadly. If you get the screen nuke, set teh effect intensity back to the lowest.

3 hours ago, Sasha_The_Lynx said:

understandable, but so far, this is one of the only methods we have sadly. If you get the screen nuke, set teh effect intensity back to the lowest.

I tried that as well, and while it does stop Ruk from blacking out my screen, it doesn't do anything about the general screen brightness changing as a result of environment light (eg. go into a cave on orb vallis, stay for a few seconds, then turn around, leave the cave and greet the nuclear dawn; this is the most extreme and obvious example, moving around in the orbiter also causes it at a lesser level and is still annoying) and prevents me from seeing a lot of important things such as kuva clouds, trinity link lines, zenurik energy regen bubbles and nullibubbles.

The state of the game right now is that I can only get the information that I need to play the game if it's served with a dose of eye cancer, which is a terrible tradeoff.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

I tried that as well, and while it does stop Ruk from blacking out my screen, it doesn't do anything about the general screen brightness changing as a result of environment light (eg. go into a cave on orb vallis, stay for a few seconds, then turn around, leave the cave and greet the nuclear dawn; this is the most extreme and obvious example, moving around in the orbiter also causes it at a lesser level and is still annoying) and prevents me from seeing a lot of important things such as kuva clouds, trinity link lines, zenurik energy regen bubbles and nullibubbles.

The state of the game right now is that I can only get the information that I need to play the game if it's served with a dose of eye cancer, which is a terrible tradeoff.

Indeed. Honeslty all this could have been avoided, if DE didnt nuked the Adaptive Exposure switch. I mean, we have options for those who are colorblind (And different variants for different colorblindness) for accessability, so why not for people who suffer from migraines due to eye strains?

I really do hope they re-enable the option again in a future hotfix or patch.

• Like 2
vor 17 Stunden schrieb Sasha_The_Lynx:

This doesn't solve it unfortunately and has heavy downsides to it. Rambled about that some posts ago. Thank you for trying to help though :) (and no, not being sarcastic here)

@TurianGarrus
I sure do hope at some point there will be more people. This is not about personal likes and preferences, but an actual health issue. I do suspect there are a few more folks with migraines/light sensitivity and the likes, but maybe they don't know what happened and are just trying to somewhat cope. Or just pause...

@Maxim_M_Payne
Couldn't play since this dropped and only logged in briefly during Tennocon (with Nightmode setting on my monitor though). I barely saw anything, but the light level at least looked normal instead of glaring. Jeez two full months already... o_O didn't realize it that clearly until yo said you've been offline for a month

21 hours ago, Sasha_The_Lynx said:

A half-a💥ed work-around isn't enough. An ON/OFF toggle is way better.

• Like 2

I think some people here mistake mistake the HDR used in internal rendering with true HDR colors showing on the monitor. HDR for internal rendering purposes the standard for graphics engines. Early examples are half life lost coast premiered that on PC in 2005. You've all played dozens of games with it.

HDR color output requires an HDR monitor. Very few people have that. To be honest, Warframe had it's fair share of not-so-pretty gradiants, so this will surely help in the future.