Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Deadlock Protocol: Hotfix 28.0.7

[DE]Megan

6 hours ago, master_of_destiny said:

You commented of Frohd Bek, specifically on the Pluto fight potentially being his death.  This is why there's an open position, and why there's a deadlock potential at all.  On top of this, the open position is why Nef has the potential to be in the position that he is in.  I don't understand why this is a question, as you already outlined the facts.

Regarding the plot, really?  Let's cover what lore that Alien answered.  The Xenomorph came from somewhere, they may have piloted the ships, or they may have killed the pilots.  The Aliens don't do well against fire, have acid blood, and reproduce as a parasite. 

What lore did Aliens offer?  Well, the xeno has a colony structure and a queen responsible for reproduction.  They focused a lot on the action, but largely didn't care about the universe building outside of the humans.  Aliens developed Ripley, Newt, the marines, and the structure of humanity.

What is the parallel?  Well, knowing what the vote is on is like understanding that the xenomorph was produced by black goo from the engineers.  Did we need a bunch of tall albino aliens injected into the series to make the horror or action better for Alien/Aliens.  Arguably that bit of background did nothing to explain the xenomorphs.  It did nothing to change them.  Knowing what the issue was causing a deadlock is the exact same.  Let's say that the issue was how to develop Fortuna, and the vote was split between actively kicking out SU and making them an independent player who owed taxation to the Corpus board.  That's exactly as likely as altering the tax rates, or what project to focus research on to defend against the sentient threat.  Whatever the reason, what does it add to the story?

If you missed it, the point is that sometimes knowing what not to define is as important as knowing what matters.  Alien and Aliens did nothing to explore the roots of the xenomorph.  The xenomorph was the main plot motivation, but it was as likely to have been a bioweapon as it was a natural evolution.  The bit that mattered was not the origin, only that you had a dangerous killing machine on the loose, that needed dealing with.  Alien explored this as a horror, Aliens explored this as an action movie.  Prometheus made up the black goo, the engineers, a genocidal android, new pseudo-xenomorphs, and all the while stripped the horror from the xenomorph.

So, is this bad writing?  No.  For once how about we let imagination win out.  We demonstrably did not need to know the xenomorph's origins.  Heck, the inclusion of these origins basically retconned everything established by the comic books, and muddied the timeline because Ridley Scott wanted to make a creator/creation story.  After 30 years he decided that exploring the origins of the xenomorph mattered, despite the few people asking for that having already been served by the comic books multiple times over.

Is it better to know about the black goo, if you liked Alien and Aliens?  Does it provide additional framing for the xenomorphs?  Asking the same, we know why the Corpus have a deadlock.  Does knowing what they are voting on really provide us insight into Nef?  Arguably no.  Sometimes knowing that it does not matter, and can be left up to us because the conjecture serves to change nothing about the events, is better story telling.

To offer another parallel, let's cover Toy Story.  What makes the toys sentient?  What gives them life?  What is the source of energy that animates them, given that there is no metabolism?  You don't need these answers, and haven't for multiple movies.  Despite this, they go on adventures.  Would knowing that they are animated by animistic spirits, which are projections of sentient beings from a higher order dimension, be required to be good writing?  I would say billions of dollars worth of movie goers have said otherwise.

I haven't been a mindless supporter of DE for years.  That said, this was a good decision.  They knew enough to set the framing, without spending time on useless details.  That isn't them being lazy, that's them giving us motivation without bogging us down in minutia.  We signed on for a shooty-looty space ninja game, not a walking simulator. 

If you'd like to argue that not knowing everything makes a story bad then I'd suggest you start telling me why Star Wars was made better with the prequel movies.  Why was the remake of The Thing necessary, given the existence of the original?  Believe it or not, imagination is infinitely better than answering all of the questions when it comes to story telling.  This is why something like Rick and Morty has an insane amount of hand waving, and despite this they are viewed as well written.  Imagination and conjectures fill in any gaps.  If you'd argue against that, explain why the show starts as Rick returns to the family.  No definitions of why, conflicting story elements that people often explain without any input from the authors, and despite that people believe the universe is great and the story is fun.  This is coming from someone who appreciates that they can retcon the story with a deus ex machina at any time, but still enjoys the show.

You seem to be missing the point, that there isn't said to be a position opening. Toy story, in their universe all Toys are sentient, we are explained this in their setting; perhaps this is a bad example for what you are trying to say? I would read the history of Alien and Aliens; great stuff; and you would know while I would agree that Alien is shallow writing; more work was put into it to make at least the basic premise something instead of "Monster, in structure, killing people" which it mechanically is. The level of work James Cameron went into develop a background for Weyland Yutani, the andoids, the business structure, vehicles reason the vehicles work, explaining the mechanics in universe of the sci-fi elements, and giving a background for the characters that is so easy to miss that I highly recommend you look into the making of or behind the scenes features comparing both movies and defining the more vague barely mentioned elements from Scott's version.

You seem to continue to not understand the point. If you have a thing that is supposed to be a lore dump as to why actions are important, you need to have an idea of why, where, how, and when. This is not really addressed in the quest. I don't think anyone would willfully say that the Prequels added to the world building of the Star Wars setting on their own; which is why they were critically derided for their stiff storytelling, overuse of CGI, and deliberately stiff acting while introducing retcons to existing story and world building established in books and movies that George Lucas had either done, or signed off on due to his professed need to tinker with his work rather than any attempt at making what came before better. Mechanically, if stiff and poorly written the movies are still well directed; overall at least; but they do little to help build the world while undermining what was built. Which again is the point of the post you were commenting on, the quest doesn't give a reason for its existence. I assume by why Carpenter "remade" 'The Thing from Another World' that you are trying to prove a point, but I am honestly not seeing how it advances your started views. The Thing from Another World is not even really related to the 'The Thing ' except for the fact, that was what Carpenter was originally hired to remake officially, and both involve aliens and an arctic research base. While mechanically if you cut out any world building, or characterizations; the two movies become more and more similar. If you are talking of the "sequel", well that was to keep the media rights and try to see if they could make some money off a "prequel". Could have done a better job asking Carpenter to at least write them up some notes and then toss their CGI guy to get some more practical effects. The actors weren't all bad at least. Sorry, couldn't really comment of Rick and Morty; besides it being setup as dimension jumping and crazy drunk Dr Who science ficition, I am sure its very funny.

I like the slow pace of Nightwave btw. If one can't play for a while for any reason, we still have some time to catch up. And I like the detective stuff^^
I don't mind the less dico laser light show looking enemies (or their bubbles) either, but after seeing some screenshots here how the rest of the game is affected... damn. Feels liike the period where the shaders were broken right after the particle system revamp (idk for sure though. Around Oktober last year I guess?). Game looked plastic back then too.

15 hours ago, Urlan said:

You seem to be missing the point, that there isn't said to be a position opening. Toy story, in their universe all Toys are sentient, we are explained this in their setting; perhaps this is a bad example for what you are trying to say? I would read the history of Alien and Aliens; great stuff; and you would know while I would agree that Alien is shallow writing; more work was put into it to make at least the basic premise something instead of "Monster, in structure, killing people" which it mechanically is. The level of work James Cameron went into develop a background for Weyland Yutani, the andoids, the business structure, vehicles reason the vehicles work, explaining the mechanics in universe of the sci-fi elements, and giving a background for the characters that is so easy to miss that I highly recommend you look into the making of or behind the scenes features comparing both movies and defining the more vague barely mentioned elements from Scott's version.

You seem to continue to not understand the point. If you have a thing that is supposed to be a lore dump as to why actions are important, you need to have an idea of why, where, how, and when. This is not really addressed in the quest. I don't think anyone would willfully say that the Prequels added to the world building of the Star Wars setting on their own; which is why they were critically derided for their stiff storytelling, overuse of CGI, and deliberately stiff acting while introducing retcons to existing story and world building established in books and movies that George Lucas had either done, or signed off on due to his professed need to tinker with his work rather than any attempt at making what came before better. Mechanically, if stiff and poorly written the movies are still well directed; overall at least; but they do little to help build the world while undermining what was built. Which again is the point of the post you were commenting on, the quest doesn't give a reason for its existence. I assume by why Carpenter "remade" 'The Thing from Another World' that you are trying to prove a point, but I am honestly not seeing how it advances your started views. The Thing from Another World is not even really related to the 'The Thing ' except for the fact, that was what Carpenter was originally hired to remake officially, and both involve aliens and an arctic research base. While mechanically if you cut out any world building, or characterizations; the two movies become more and more similar. If you are talking of the "sequel", well that was to keep the media rights and try to see if they could make some money off a "prequel". Could have done a better job asking Carpenter to at least write them up some notes and then toss their CGI guy to get some more practical effects. The actors weren't all bad at least. Sorry, couldn't really comment of Rick and Morty; besides it being setup as dimension jumping and crazy drunk Dr Who science ficition, I am sure its very funny.

Going out of order, let's start with The Thing.  Carpenter made the movie, loosely based upon a story.  They highlighted another research team, which was why the opening scene to the 82 version has a helicopter trying to gun down a dog.  Did we need to know the entire story of the other team?  No, they gave us the most vague story that there was another team.  You seem to be misunderstanding, and forgetting the second movie.  1982 for the original and 2011 for the semi-prequel.  I never made comment about it being an adaptation.  

Regarding Star Wars....I have to ask how old you are.  I don't want an answer, but I need to frame this.  The prequels were more than 20 years after episodes 4, 5, and 6.  In these three stand alone movies the force was magic.  Darth Vader was evil, then he was Luke's father, then he was a jedi who fell to the dark side.  Despite not knowing a lot about the force or Darth Vader's specific history, episodes 4 to 6 stood on their own.

As we are focusing on plot, the issue here is that if it was necessary to spell everything out, why did we start at episode 4?  Did learning that the force was measured by midichlorians (I don't care enough to get the right spelling) help the lore?  Did seeing anything about the life of Darth Vader somehow improve the episodes chronologically set later?  You've decided to overlook all of this story telling that serves no purpose, and focus on what you like and don't.  I don't care, because that's not the point.

The point was that you have issues with DE doing a bad job of story telling.  You needed to know what the vote was about, and you need it expressly spelled out that the vote is deadlocked because somebody vacated a specific seat.  Is any of that information required?  Demonstrably, no.  What is necessary to know is that there is a deadlock, and Nef is seeking to break it by ascending.  Once this is setup, we have a motivation and inciting event for a plot.

Let's also touch on Alien and Aliens.  What is the title of each movie?  Why yes, this is an incredibly condescending question.  I'm asking it because the title outlines the motivation, and thus the plot.  Let me help you understand what is missing from both of these movies, that you're asking of DE.  Does Alien have a scene where their android is reassigned to the Nostromo?  No.  Ok then, if an android is economical to send on these missions why not just send a full android team?  No pay, 100% loyal, no need to bring them back, and theoretically they'd have been able to harvest the entire alien ship they knew was there (thanks to the prequels outlining that little nugget of information).  Weyland-Yutani are officially made idiotic by extra plot being added.  Does Aliens have a scene where the board votes on whether or not to get the colonial marines involved, or to simply write the colonizing effort off as a natural disaster (something presumably common given the vast terraforming efforts they have running)?  No, a colony goes dark and for some reason the company doesn't send in their own investigation team.  Knowing that Weyland-Yutani later dispatch a ship with mercenaries to get Ripley in Alien 3, does this damage the plot?  Yes.  Weyland wants the new potential alien tech/bioforms, but decides instead to allow a group of government marines to go in and investigate with them.  Heck, none of this even comes close to making sense with all the other Alien series games focusing hugely on Weyland-Yutani having huge amounts of mercenaries, and always seeking to find the xenomorph homeworld (see the comics).

Let's round out the Toy Story situation.  Let's also ask for narrative and story consistency.  Why, well you're asking for DE to outline everything too.  You want to offer suspension of disbelief, for animate toys.  Fine.  Explain the mechanics.  We know the Toy Story universe has similar laws of thermodynamics, given the demonstrated humans, food, cars, and the mechanical assemblies (claw game, etc...).  Pixar must be hacks, and their story falls apart because they don't explain how Toys move, right?  Well, no.  You overlook that story and universe issue because you are fine with suspending it.  You're OK with the incomplete story telling and mechanical explanation, because the story of the toys does not require it.  Pixar wrote the movie without ever explaining basic facts, but because their story was about a journey and characters you let that slide.

OK, so what did we learn here?  Apparently Alien, Aliens, Toy Story, The Thing, and Star Wars episodes 4-6 suck.  They don't explain everything about everything, so they have hack writing just like DE.  I cannot even state this, without a sigh and frustration.

DE is not perfect.  We've had three years (since PoE) where the game has largely been a mess, and several contiguous updates that have done more to fracture the community than build it.  That's what we should focus on, not the fact that you think the lore should have been more clearly defined and outlined when it's currently serviceable.  You're complaining effectively that Star Wars was terrible until the force was quantified by the living and cosmic force channeled through a microbe.  People didn't care that the microbe existed, they cared that Luke could pull his light saber out of the ice and prevent himself from dying.  Likewise, it's important to care that Nef has plans.  It isn't important to know that the deadlock is caused over a vote for something specific.  The deadlock is a plot hand wave to explain why Fortuna wasn't simply crushed (if you have multiple planets under your control it would take nothing to pacify a dozen workers), and why we have our current quest.  DE was economical on the story, which isn't the sign of a hack in this instance. 

I will be clear that this is for this instance only, and other instances need to be judged alone.  The Leverian is something new.  It took years to have Cephalon Simaris.  When the Syndicates started they were basically choose the green totalitarians (New Loka) or the mad Cephalon (Suda) depending upon what rewards you wanted.  Heck, to this day the whole morale choice system is worthless. 

-Edit-

Regarding the whole Frohd Bek situation, let's check out the wiki.

"...Once enough proxies are on board, Glast uses them as Trojan horses to activate Animo's self-destruct sequence, destroying Bek's capital ship in the process. As the ship explodes, Frohd Bek orders his ship's bridge module to be ejected, leaving his ultimate fate a mystery."

If he cannot be contacted, because presumably he could have died, that's an open seat.  Explain to me how exactly you have a board of 15, one seat is vacated, and thus you have a tie vote of 7-7, but DE has not done enough to explain.  It's escaping me how you can quote everything you did, and still highlight things as missing.  Vague and utility focused rather than story focused, I can agree to.  At the same time, you seem to want to not have to engage anything regarding thought regarding the story.  Part of the problem with that is that if everything is clearly defined you can't do things like what happened with this quest.  The goal is to answer enough questions to be fulfilling, but leave enough threads to tie new content to the old.

2 hours ago, master_of_destiny said:

Going out of order, let's start with The Thing.  Carpenter made the movie, loosely based upon a story.  They highlighted another research team, which was why the opening scene to the 82 version has a helicopter trying to gun down a dog.  Did we need to know the entire story of the other team?  No, they gave us the most vague story that there was another team.  You seem to be misunderstanding, and forgetting the second movie.  1982 for the original and 2011 for the semi-prequel.  I never made comment about it being an adaptation.  

Regarding Star Wars....I have to ask how old you are.  I don't want an answer, but I need to frame this.  The prequels were more than 20 years after episodes 4, 5, and 6.  In these three stand alone movies the force was magic.  Darth Vader was evil, then he was Luke's father, then he was a jedi who fell to the dark side.  Despite not knowing a lot about the force or Darth Vader's specific history, episodes 4 to 6 stood on their own.

As we are focusing on plot, the issue here is that if it was necessary to spell everything out, why did we start at episode 4?  Did learning that the force was measured by midichlorians (I don't care enough to get the right spelling) help the lore?  Did seeing anything about the life of Darth Vader somehow improve the episodes chronologically set later?  You've decided to overlook all of this story telling that serves no purpose, and focus on what you like and don't.  I don't care, because that's not the point.

The point was that you have issues with DE doing a bad job of story telling.  You needed to know what the vote was about, and you need it expressly spelled out that the vote is deadlocked because somebody vacated a specific seat.  Is any of that information required?  Demonstrably, no.  What is necessary to know is that there is a deadlock, and Nef is seeking to break it by ascending.  Once this is setup, we have a motivation and inciting event for a plot.

Let's also touch on Alien and Aliens.  What is the title of each movie?  Why yes, this is an incredibly condescending question.  I'm asking it because the title outlines the motivation, and thus the plot.  Let me help you understand what is missing from both of these movies, that you're asking of DE.  Does Alien have a scene where their android is reassigned to the Nostromo?  No.  Ok then, if an android is economical to send on these missions why not just send a full android team?  No pay, 100% loyal, no need to bring them back, and theoretically they'd have been able to harvest the entire alien ship they knew was there (thanks to the prequels outlining that little nugget of information).  Weyland-Yutani are officially made idiotic by extra plot being added.  Does Aliens have a scene where the board votes on whether or not to get the colonial marines involved, or to simply write the colonizing effort off as a natural disaster (something presumably common given the vast terraforming efforts they have running)?  No, a colony goes dark and for some reason the company doesn't send in their own investigation team.  Knowing that Weyland-Yutani later dispatch a ship with mercenaries to get Ripley in Alien 3, does this damage the plot?  Yes.  Weyland wants the new potential alien tech/bioforms, but decides instead to allow a group of government marines to go in and investigate with them.  Heck, none of this even comes close to making sense with all the other Alien series games focusing hugely on Weyland-Yutani having huge amounts of mercenaries, and always seeking to find the xenomorph homeworld (see the comics).

Let's round out the Toy Story situation.  Let's also ask for narrative and story consistency.  Why, well you're asking for DE to outline everything too.  You want to offer suspension of disbelief, for animate toys.  Fine.  Explain the mechanics.  We know the Toy Story universe has similar laws of thermodynamics, given the demonstrated humans, food, cars, and the mechanical assemblies (claw game, etc...).  Pixar must be hacks, and their story falls apart because they don't explain how Toys move, right?  Well, no.  You overlook that story and universe issue because you are fine with suspending it.  You're OK with the incomplete story telling and mechanical explanation, because the story of the toys does not require it.  Pixar wrote the movie without ever explaining basic facts, but because their story was about a journey and characters you let that slide.

OK, so what did we learn here?  Apparently Alien, Aliens, Toy Story, The Thing, and Star Wars episodes 4-6 suck.  They don't explain everything about everything, so they have hack writing just like DE.  I cannot even state this, without a sigh and frustration.

DE is not perfect.  We've had three years (since PoE) where the game has largely been a mess, and several contiguous updates that have done more to fracture the community than build it.  That's what we should focus on, not the fact that you think the lore should have been more clearly defined and outlined when it's currently serviceable.  You're complaining effectively that Star Wars was terrible until the force was quantified by the living and cosmic force channeled through a microbe.  People didn't care that the microbe existed, they cared that Luke could pull his light saber out of the ice and prevent himself from dying.  Likewise, it's important to care that Nef has plans.  It isn't important to know that the deadlock is caused over a vote for something specific.  The deadlock is a plot hand wave to explain why Fortuna wasn't simply crushed (if you have multiple planets under your control it would take nothing to pacify a dozen workers), and why we have our current quest.  DE was economical on the story, which isn't the sign of a hack in this instance. 

I will be clear that this is for this instance only, and other instances need to be judged alone.  The Leverian is something new.  It took years to have Cephalon Simaris.  When the Syndicates started they were basically choose the green totalitarians (New Loka) or the mad Cephalon (Suda) depending upon what rewards you wanted.  Heck, to this day the whole morale choice system is worthless. 

-Edit-

Regarding the whole Frohd Bek situation, let's check out the wiki.

"...Once enough proxies are on board, Glast uses them as Trojan horses to activate Animo's self-destruct sequence, destroying Bek's capital ship in the process. As the ship explodes, Frohd Bek orders his ship's bridge module to be ejected, leaving his ultimate fate a mystery."

If he cannot be contacted, because presumably he could have died, that's an open seat.  Explain to me how exactly you have a board of 15, one seat is vacated, and thus you have a tie vote of 7-7, but DE has not done enough to explain.  It's escaping me how you can quote everything you did, and still highlight things as missing.  Vague and utility focused rather than story focused, I can agree to.  At the same time, you seem to want to not have to engage anything regarding thought regarding the story.  Part of the problem with that is that if everything is clearly defined you can't do things like what happened with this quest.  The goal is to answer enough questions to be fulfilling, but leave enough threads to tie new content to the old.

Okay, firstly you called it a remake I clarified your poor use of words by giving you context of the situation you were referencing; none of them are infact "remakes" but its nice you miss the point. Secondly, by calling into question my age it makes you seem quite immature; it also less magic and more akin to psychic power manipulation of a life force that runs throughout all living things, but yeah it wasn't due to a Midi-chlorians and Darth Vader was, as you showed you can read a Dark Jedi; instead of a "Sith Lord" which did exist honestly in extended canon, but even the Emperor back then wasn't said to be either funny enough. Yeah, aliens; because it has something alien in it. Cameron's world building is often considered such that his sequel is better remembered than the original; which was called up until production "Star Beast" and the world building was so shallow to the movie, that Ripley was originally a male and there wasn't even a company or Ash android co-antagonist. That said, it seems you hang-up here is if you have trouble rationalizing it that it is less meaningful. Hmm interesting considering the topic of your little talking point. The point is asking for sense in story-telling, something you have repeatedly missed here. But yeah, the Ambulus Reborn fight; which I summarized earlier, funny I didn't need to badly reprint a fan posted wiki; but rather game; I must have issues somehow!

What you are not getting, and bares repeating since its core to your misunderstanding and our repeating ourselves here, the quest doesn't say why there is a problem; doesn't say when this is happening in relation to the rest of the game's story so time; and it doesn't involve the who involved, simply 'board deadlocked, Nef trying a plan to take over'. You can't even tell me from your trying to quote a Wiki entry, when the Ambulus Reborn event happened relative to the Deadlock protocol. While I have my suspicions, you know what I can't either!? Best I can figure it, if we tie this to its location on the starchart, which is not very ideal to determining plot order - see Alad V's history I summarized for you earlier - but also tying in its mastery rank requirement to entry  - this is supposed to be happening after Nef got a board position and the events of False Profit, Tubemen of Regor (since that led to his getting the position versus just his False Profit and Index seed money), and Glast Gambit perhaps due to this being useful in securing investment into his Orb Vallis project. Now, this is already jumping across the starchart to try to mix these points together! So yeah, you or at least me; we know who Nef Anyo is; but the quest is aimed at starting players pretty much so there should be something that explains who, what, why, and when this is happening for them. So yeah, my points, as much as you don't seem to get them; still stand! But perhaps if you would like to continue this and all; we could bring it to a private message deal to stop filling pages?

6 hours ago, Urlan said:

Okay, firstly you called it a remake I clarified your poor use of words by giving you context of the situation you were referencing; none of them are infact "remakes" but its nice you miss the point. Secondly, by calling into question my age it makes you seem quite immature; it also less magic and more akin to psychic power manipulation of a life force that runs throughout all living things, but yeah it wasn't due to a Midi-chlorians and Darth Vader was, as you showed you can read a Dark Jedi; instead of a "Sith Lord" which did exist honestly in extended canon, but even the Emperor back then wasn't said to be either funny enough. Yeah, aliens; because it has something alien in it. Cameron's world building is often considered such that his sequel is better remembered than the original; which was called up until production "Star Beast" and the world building was so shallow to the movie, that Ripley was originally a male and there wasn't even a company or Ash android co-antagonist. That said, it seems you hang-up here is if you have trouble rationalizing it that it is less meaningful. Hmm interesting considering the topic of your little talking point. The point is asking for sense in story-telling, something you have repeatedly missed here. But yeah, the Ambulus Reborn fight; which I summarized earlier, funny I didn't need to badly reprint a fan posted wiki; but rather game; I must have issues somehow!

What you are not getting, and bares repeating since its core to your misunderstanding and our repeating ourselves here, the quest doesn't say why there is a problem; doesn't say when this is happening in relation to the rest of the game's story so time; and it doesn't involve the who involved, simply 'board deadlocked, Nef trying a plan to take over'. You can't even tell me from your trying to quote a Wiki entry, when the Ambulus Reborn event happened relative to the Deadlock protocol. While I have my suspicions, you know what I can't either!? Best I can figure it, if we tie this to its location on the starchart, which is not very ideal to determining plot order - see Alad V's history I summarized for you earlier - but also tying in its mastery rank requirement to entry  - this is supposed to be happening after Nef got a board position and the events of False Profit, Tubemen of Regor (since that led to his getting the position versus just his False Profit and Index seed money), and Glast Gambit perhaps due to this being useful in securing investment into his Orb Vallis project. Now, this is already jumping across the starchart to try to mix these points together! So yeah, you or at least me; we know who Nef Anyo is; but the quest is aimed at starting players pretty much so there should be something that explains who, what, why, and when this is happening for them. So yeah, my points, as much as you don't seem to get them; still stand! But perhaps if you would like to continue this and all; we could bring it to a private message deal to stop filling pages?

I'm not sure how to respond here.  You quoted the original story, which looked something like the following:

On 2020-06-26 at 9:22 PM, Urlan said:

... Which again is the point of the post you were commenting on, the quest doesn't give a reason for its existence. I assume by why Carpenter "remade" 'The Thing from Another World' that you are trying to prove a point, but I am honestly not seeing how it advances your started views. The Thing from Another World is not even really related to the 'The Thing ' except for the fact, that was what Carpenter was originally hired to remake officially, and both involve aliens and an arctic research base. While mechanically if you cut out any world building, or characterizations; the two movies become more and more similar. If you are talking of the "sequel", well that was to keep the media rights and try to see if they could make some money off a "prequel". Could have done a better job asking Carpenter to at least write them up some notes and then toss their CGI guy to get some more practical effects...

So why do I use remake and prequel interchangeably?  Well, the stories are basically the same.  The setting was the prequel, but the plot and writing was basically a ctrl+c ctrl+v of the original.  Maybe go and watch them, and tell me that there was no call to say such.  I will acquiesce that this was somewhat less than clear, so consider it my bad for not outlining that the prequel was simply a remake but setup such that it wasn't a remake technically.  As we are talking about story, something you can't seem to stick to, the plot is simple.  Discover alien, try to figure out who the alien is, body horror, tense situation where there is a viable test, things go sideways, hero characters functionally die trying to contain the threat which has been found to be a planetary event should it escape.  

You are welcome to argue that the above is citing that tropes exist in story telling.  Heck, after Alien there were plenty of copies.  I argue that reusing the name, and using the other team cited in the original makes this comparison fair as a prequel, a remake, and a mess where giving us more lore made the movie less interesting.

I ask about your age because if you grew up with the prequels the perspective is different.  I also did not do anything to insult, if you're so hurt that somebody else might feasibly have a different perspective I'd suggest that you log off the internet forever.  I stated this because the people now in their 20's may have had the chance to see the force explained by the prequels, and not had decades of lore built through other mediums.  To them the force was always explained, and as such they didn't deal with the same imagination requirements.  Believe it or not, younger people who knew what the force was and saw Vader grow from a boy into the Sith lord have a bit of a different reaction.  In my experience they often don't have the same soft spot, and are willing to see Star Wars as a rather formulaic hero's journey rather than an epic space opera.  They've not got that blind spot, and they often poke holes in bad story telling that we overlook.  The joke insert here is the Luke-Leia kiss, and the joke that this is....uncomfortable with their familial relation.

Barring any of that, we knew Anakin was good, worked with Obi-wan, turned evil, and was the progenitor of Luke and Leia.  I didn't care that he was good at pod racing, and that didn't influence the monumental shift in episode 6 when he redeemed himself.  It also didn't improve the movie to have Anakin be digitally inserted into episode 6 as a force ghost.  It was also not required that The Clone Wars show spent multiple seasons showing he was awesome, when in episode 4 he was introduced literally curb stomping the resistance with a sword when they had laser pistols.  Lucas wrote episode 4 with holes in the Vader story, that did nothing to make him less than a complete character

I asked you about the title because you are focused on the universe building of humans.  That's like asking for the Deadlock Protocol to focus on the programming of Moas.  Yeah, it's important to touch on the Moas because they're corpus units, but I'm really focused on the xenomorph.  Despite this obvious focus, there's so much about them that is undefined.  Despite this lack of lore, they're still functional as story drivers.  Regarding your tangent about the original story...I don't care.  It's trivia to know what is not on screen, but does not change what story is present.  This is like asking what one of the DE developers had for lunch the day they thought up Nef Anyo.  This isn't my issue, I'm not the one trying to say DE is bad at telling stories, you are.  It's interesting seeing how far you are willing to diverge from the story presented to try and justify that they are bad at it, especially when it's requiring you to quote drafts of a movie script that is decades old.  

Personally, I'd have started my counter argument with Aliens:Resurrection.  It's low hanging fruit regarding stupid story telling, magic technology, disregarding lore, and being utterly terrible writing.  Despite that, you're quoting that Ripley might have been a man.  You disregard the wiki for this game...despite the fact that it is official.  If you missed it, on the front of this forum as an official link.  Yeah...it's almost like it's referring back to a factual source rather than remembering things without any quotation.  Almost like citation...maybe that's because you seem to be salty about the timelines and have already stated that Frohd's events might somehow be in a separate portion of the timeline.

Wrapping up the Alien/Aliens situation, it's amazing that you can feel that these are complete stories.  I will not disagree that they are complete movies, but they purposely don't tell us everything.  They shouldn't have to tell us everything, and this is why Prometheus and Covenant are effectively making the universe worse by trying to offer story explanations.  The xenomorph came from somewhere.  The pilot seat found by the Nostromo held an unknown alien with unknown motives.  Most importantly, engineers making humanity then deciding to wipe us out is something the story never required to be touched on.  My argument is that you're asking for that level of detail, and adding the 3+ hours of these two movies to expand on the lore of Alien/Aliens is effectively detrimental.  

I do enjoy that you are now using my Alad V argument to try and make your point.  Excuse me, but the irony is just too much here.

Now if you'd like, here's the deal.  You stop using my arguments poorly, and I'll let you believe that everything thus far is just you wanting to rip on DE because of their history.  I won't even be angry about you copying my earlier statements, and trying to hold them at fault for their current event due to historic shenanigans with lore and events being exceptionally poorly integrated into the game.  I won't point out that my arguments for Alad V's story being a mess were regarding the star chart structure and the lore having him on Jupiter, then Eris, and back to Jupiter without proper in-game justifications.  This is a mechanical and informational problem, not a lore issue.  If they had some cut scene or event summary post beating the boss there would be no issue.  It'd be sloppy and utilitarian, but it would serve to explain the story. 

Barring that, let me offer you my response.  DE has consistently required events to be in chronological order given they introduce new enemy types and game modes.  That is, you can't have the introduction of Lua happening before something like the introduction of the mutalists, because enemies for these events overlapped.  Likewise, remember that the Ambulas is a new boss (relatively speaking).  It was introduced in the Ambulas Reborn operation.  You'll note that this is further established in the timeline through the inclusion of the bursas, which were an event significant in the past.  Nef introduced the bursas, and the fun bit here is that the tileset for the corpus ships allow bursas to be summoned.

What's the theoretical timeline then?  Well, if you don't believe DE and the timeline somehow doesn't match their series of chronological events this could happen between the introduction of bursas and the most recent events in the timeline.  For those unwilling to go deep, that's update 18.4.10.  This means, that if you are absolutely adamant that DE is shifting the timeline we'd need more information.  Let's look...the Scarlet Spear introduced condrix enemies.  If you do a spy on a corpus ship, they have suspended condrix units.  Wow, this would mean that for the altered timeline theory to hold water we'd have to have built railjacks prior to the introduction of Rathuum.  

As we go down this rabbit hole it looks nuttier and nuttier.  Bursas would have to have existed way before their introduction, Frohd meeting his potential end at the Ambulas would have to be rewritten, and the corpus would have to be stupid enough to design a board where deadlocks would be easy to make happen because they didn't have an odd number of board members.

How do we fix this mess?  Common sense.  Ambulas Reborn happened before Deadlock, so Frohd has an unknown status.  You no longer have to justify the Condrix, the infestation shenanigans, or why a deadlock is possible.  Everything is fixed.  If you disagree, anything is possible.  Explain to me how we had Condrixes in the timeline, before the Ambulas.  It's a lot of hoops to jump through to call DE's Deadlock protocol story bad, and you're actively trying to make it worse.  

Why do I have an issue with Alad V then?  The problem is that the operations in the game are one-and-done.  A player starting today will never experience the Fomorian invasion like I did, they'll never get the chance to do operation gatecrash, and DE has no real way of communicating that we cured Alad V of the infestation before he returned back to Jupiter during the gas city stuff.  This is especially true with Jupiter being before Eris on the star chart.

What about voting, and the deadlock.  Well, sane entities create a board with an uneven number of voters.  This will prevent deadlock, as it is impossible.  They then stipulate that a director has the power to break any deadlock, in the event that the whole board is not filled or someone has to recuse themselves.  With Frohd being out of commission, 15 becomes 14 and there's no means to break the deadlock.  Nef seeks to ascend the board, and get the power to break said deadlock.  This forces the chronological order to events, as Ambulas Reborn and the presence of Condrix units on the tiles make everything a clear setup.  The story is complete, if somewhat vague.  We don't know what the vote was on, but know that the board is divided and the vote which could break it belongs to a currently vacant seat.  Nef is vying for the position of director, ascending the board using his latest scheme.  This is a complete story, even if we don't know what the vote was on, who the members are, or how long the voting has been taking place.  

Thanks for the Hotfix, Protea feels much stronger now, especially her Turrets.

Yet again, I found a little chunk of bugs as listed:

-Need to visit 3 featured Dojo's for Nightwave
-Cyanex shots sometimes stuck at Volt's Shield causing self-stagger
-Kuva Ayanga sometimes deal self-damage in Archwing
-It is possible to parazon a Nekros-Phantom
-It is currently not possible to enter a number when trying to exchange tokens at Ticker in Fortuna, you need to klick up to the wished amount

Keep up the great work!

On 2020-06-27 at 2:13 AM, Gideon93 said:

Mastery rank 9 test is just to hard all that points and than a near unbeatable test.

grab a Glaive built for highest possible dmg you can and be carefull, its a stealth test, you haveto be sneaky not loud and in their face.

As for the hotfix, nice but given this nightwave season is rather harshly timegated, nerfing the ability to even make it easer ,kinda stunk. i see why it had to but maybe lessen the time that spawn script runs? like instead of every 25~30 mins? to 20 to 25?

On 2020-06-27 at 11:43 AM, Gideon93 said:

Mastery rank 9 test is just to hard all that points and than a near unbeatable test.

Get urself that skiajati, it grants u a buff for invisibility after a stealth kill. Run along stealth killing every single enemy, that is how I got through the test. Very easy if done right. Practice in simaris' place and then test urself

Am 26.6.2020 um 23:54 schrieb Thirty-Thirty:

Please fix the grafik bugs!!

5dgclfl5.jpg

oqgn8akd.jpg

snwierel.jpg

You see, there is nothing to see!!! All Lightseffekts are broken

I use a AMD Ryzen7 2700; Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming; 32 GB RAM; Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G

I think the system have enougth power!!

c1pt5-ce1rv.gif

5ou33kvw.gif

I find more and more bugs.

Are you working on them?!?!?!? DE!!!!

So, there are already several reports and even a thread for the new corpus ship tileset having goodies inaccessible.  Not only can the syndicate medallions spawn behind walls, ayatan treasures can too.

Bravo DE. 

I spent two+ pages defending that you can write competent stories, and I now have to say you can't do basic mechanics in a game....  Sometimes I just don't get it.   Of course, it seems like the focus now is on the steel path, which rewards a cosmetic only upon completion of a planet, requires meta builds because you decided to make enemies sponges again, and the primary rewards are the resources I am already drowning in once I've gotten to the point of being able to do arbitrations.  Why even bother?

so i have been doing the sacrifice quest (Pursue Umbra part) then suddenly i have this problem where icannot use transferance on the umbra if i press transferance i just goback to my warframe. i think it is because of the new corpus tile sets?? eukYYKb5bWneRGT64iWkWeuqE?token=eyJhbGci

Nice hot fix. But have you fixed Grineer troops activating alarms on Corpus tile sets that are under Lich control, such as on the new Corpus Ships, because they spotted cameras?  This should definitely be fixed for Spy and Rescue, since Grineer are triggering the destruction and execution timers in these missions.

Archived