Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I hate forced adaptive exposure

DoomFruit

Update 28.0.6 did something to the rendering path, I don't know exactly what the internal details were but the net result is that we're now forced to use adaptive exposure.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, it's what makes the brightness of your game change itself whenever the lighting level changes. It's what blinds you whenever you enter a cave on orb vallis and it's what gives you the burning nuclear dawn when you leave it again. You can even see it if you run around in your orbiter - watch the screen go darker and lighter and darker and lighter all on its own.

I hate it. I hate it SO MUCH. It makes it impossible for me to set the brightness and contrast up properly, it ruins my vision for a second or two while it re-adjusts (which amounts to several geological ages in a game as fast paced as this) and it's just flat out obnoxious. No, game. You do not know better than I do how I want the display settings to be.

Also, I've no idea whether this is related, but the brightness of visual effects is way out of proportion to how things should be. I've had several occasions where everything else on the screen is dark and washed out while sword impact effects are bright enough to hurt my eyes.

i don't mind the concept of Dynamic Exposure, but Warframe has had a long standing tendency to dramatically overcompensate with it, and make black/white frames or otherwise just blind you.
(probably because it is simply Screenspace so it can get easily tricked)

i'll keep hoping for adjustments to it to make it overreact less.

Apparently "Dynamic Lighting" is the in game setting for Warframe to use "adaptive exposure"...

I get your point...many gaming companies make the same mistake when it comes to visual effects and "playing" with advanced features/technology. The two most common that DE has fallen into as well are bloom lighting and volumetric lighting.

This "adaptive exposure" I don't experience because I don't enjoy DE's fascination with graphics that makes the game 'look better' by abusing these technologies so I disable most of these 'toy' graphics features. As others have said...a game with 'okay' graphics but plays well and is interesting is much better than a game with 'stunning' visuals that is boring and buggy. Luckily, most of the time Warframe has pretty good visuals and the movements in the game are useful so it just takes a few minutes of disabling the unnecessary graphics items to make the game playable IMO. As for the buggy and boring...that is player-dependent on whether Warframe fits those topics.

I suggest you disable a bunch of these toys DE is throwing at us...the game still looks good and there is no need for the unrealistic impacts to the visuals.

When bloom lighting was highlighted in PoE I knew it meant the players would have to suffer from blindingly unrealistic glare because it is a toy to abuse...

Then there is volumetric lighting where players can commonly see those amazingly sharp edges of light coming through a window, etc...which I have never seen in real life...because light doesn't work the way games present it...but again...'toys' for the developers.

Having a top end GPU but disabling most of the poorly implemented graphics technologies in games is always disappointing but now expected until developers learn to stop overusing them.

I have been watching CohnCarnage recently and he is playing EverQuest on a new server...the graphics are 'old' but the game is entertaining for him...so a 20+ year old game with "old" graphics is playable...because of the game not because of the "cutting edge" graphics...there may be a lesson in this for game developers everywhere...

47 minutes ago, GreyDeath789 said:

there may be a lesson in this for game developers everywhere...

the Industry hasn't learned that lesson (as a whole unit) in the decades already, it's not likely to change.
Shareholders or Investors generally see Graphics and flooshy stuff as marketable, and everything else as not. it's obviously not the case, but they're the ones with most of the money that funds most of the games, so.

2 hours ago, GreyDeath789 said:

Apparently "Dynamic Lighting" is the in game setting for Warframe to use "adaptive exposure"..

I've just tried that (a quick test in the orbiter) - switched it off and I'm still getting the adaptive exposure effects. Not as much in the ship, but orb vallis caves still have massive darkening and brightening upon entering/leaving.

Which is actually really weird, because when I see "dynamic lighting" as a display option, I think of glowy plasma balls illuminating the area around them when fired. Very fancy back in 1998 (for instance, Unreal), pretty ordinary these days.

And yeah, I do have a lot of the graphics options turned off because all that they have ever done was get in my way. Colour "correction", screen shake, film grain, depth of field, motion blur and distortions. I used to have adaptive exposure turned off as well, but we don't even have that option any more.

Bloom - that can look pretty good if done right (my favourite example would be Tron 2.0, back in 2003). It used to be fine in this game, now... I don't know any more.

8 hours ago, GreyDeath789 said:

Apparently "Dynamic Lighting" is the in game setting for Warframe to use "adaptive exposure"...

I get your point...many gaming companies make the same mistake when it comes to visual effects and "playing" with advanced features/technology. The two most common that DE has fallen into as well are bloom lighting and volumetric lighting.

This "adaptive exposure" I don't experience because I don't enjoy DE's fascination with graphics that makes the game 'look better' by abusing these technologies so I disable most of these 'toy' graphics features. As others have said...a game with 'okay' graphics but plays well and is interesting is much better than a game with 'stunning' visuals that is boring and buggy. Luckily, most of the time Warframe has pretty good visuals and the movements in the game are useful so it just takes a few minutes of disabling the unnecessary graphics items to make the game playable IMO. As for the buggy and boring...that is player-dependent on whether Warframe fits those topics.

I suggest you disable a bunch of these toys DE is throwing at us...the game still looks good and there is no need for the unrealistic impacts to the visuals.

When bloom lighting was highlighted in PoE I knew it meant the players would have to suffer from blindingly unrealistic glare because it is a toy to abuse...

Then there is volumetric lighting where players can commonly see those amazingly sharp edges of light coming through a window, etc...which I have never seen in real life...because light doesn't work the way games present it...but again...'toys' for the developers.

Having a top end GPU but disabling most of the poorly implemented graphics technologies in games is always disappointing but now expected until developers learn to stop overusing them.

I have been watching CohnCarnage recently and he is playing EverQuest on a new server...the graphics are 'old' but the game is entertaining for him...so a 20+ year old game with "old" graphics is playable...because of the game not because of the "cutting edge" graphics...there may be a lesson in this for game developers everywhere...

hm this is exactly the same in the movie and music industry

eg. director j.j.abrams has a massive hardon for bloom, the star trek movies have bright spotlight blooms randomly everywhere its, every character in the films should be blind with eye cancer, -different medium same mistake: overreliance on unrealistic effects to artificially enhance something just for the sake of it

just make something with pure gold, instead of coating cheap wood with gold-leaf, and hyper polishing to convince the viewer it is pure gold

I cannot see energy circles, I cannot see nullifier bubbles, or any energy bubbles, I cannot see health and energy orbs well, I'm also having hard time mining with sunpoint plasma drill. I absolutely love how WF's playability has increased a lot thanks to forced Adaptive Exposure! Setting brightness to the same level as surface of the Sun does not disable the devastating effect of Adaptive Exposure.

Is this related to the changes Deadlock Protocol made to the transmissions UI? 

Because I really did prefer my enemies to taunt me over the radio with normal lighting conditions and opaque video; instead of an inexplicable glow, harsh lens-flare, and blurred fuzziness to the whole picture.

If adapative exposure being forcibly cranked up caused that, rest assured that I do not like it.

Here's an example of exactly how bad this "feature" makes things:

This is what the game looks like normally (or at least, as close as I could get it):

Warframe0008.jpg

And here's how adaptive exposure ruins the game (most of these images are after firing a shot or two with a primary tombfinger). I cannot even begin to comprehend why this was considered to be a good thing.

Warframe0009.jpg

Warframe0010.jpg

Warframe0011.jpg

OH. MY GOD. 

it looks worse than I feared, and I haven't even seen the most extreme examples of this problem yet.

What's with DE's newfound fetish for making their formerly-beautiful game look worse?

I thought bloom like I was standing two inches away from a burning star was bad. I thought the particle-puke VFX for the "improved elements" under Melee 3.0 was bad. Completely non-disable-able heatwaves and lens-flares literally every blasted time I fire my gun is bad.

The fact that metal rendering was and remains completely broken and gross-looking since Saint of Altra came out is extremely bad.

But this here? It just takes the cake.

Forcing adaptive exposure doesn't help visuals or immersion; it detracts from both. After all, my favorite part of looking at things in the real world is, apparently, them mysteriously turning blindingly bright; and then a hazy blue-white smoke filling the distance as I move around. sHoCkInGlY rEaLiStIc.

xaZ39KS.jpgBB6GdBb.jpgXTmAsYI.jpgfrXaFxB.jpgzzvamE9.jpgThis hurts my vision; and it doesn't accurately simulate it in the slightest. 

For the love of God, DE. Quit forcing in gameplay changes and graphical downgrades that nobody asked for. Good developers listen to the players, and causing an asinine graphical effect like this WITH ZERO OPTION TO TURN IT OFF is beyond rude. 

Actually, take a step back. The entire art and dev team, quit jamming new things in, and all of you just actually listen.

Every time I think you'll dial back VFX that detract from the graphics, you guys decide to further butcher what used to be gorgeous.

Time for reversion of this whole mess.

Stop excessive shine and smearing.

Fix obects either having no bloom or shadows at all as others have far too much of both.

Limit sparks and bubbly crap in particle VFX to three to four per effect at the absolute most, not 36,000 per square inch.

Reduce bloom back to levels that make things look like they're glowing; instead of cranking it so hight that there's disgusting glowing halos that expand five feet out from any light source.

Fix the blasted metal already, especially on the Primes.

Quit adding grime to Tenno and Orokin tech that should look clean.

And kill this effect. Right now.

I hate forced-in Adaptive Exposure as much as the OP hates it. 

I've tried to be patient. I'm trying to be polite. But the simple fact of the matter is that the past two years have convinced me even the most fawning and uncritical of feedback would go unread by staff anyway. I genuinely no longer believe you guys read the forums.

Quit rushing out new Prime Accesses and Updates with unhealthy staff-crunch and sub-par designs (cough, Aksomati Prime and Ivara Prime, cough). Quit jamming in new "content" like Steel Path and Kuva Leeches without fixing the once-working content like melee the past two years have rendered broken.

For heaven's sake, work on keeping what people liked in the first place about gameplay and graphics, instead of asininely assuming that old = worse.

I feel like playing Warframe even less than I already have during the past eighteen months. I'm not in the mood to run around when even opening a door assaults my eyes and Tempo Royale no longer contains remotely as cool of moves as it used to.

Take a break. Slow down. Fix what you've broken. Get some sleep. Take care of yourselves and then actually read through the different forum categories instead of blindly crunching to rush out something that will be half-finished and semi-functional. Give people a reason to come back and play with this formerly-fun toy.

• 4 weeks later...

B24WzcZ.jpgMaybe this unwanted and un-asked for change isn't so bad, when I returned from vacation to play the single remaining day of Dog Days as a yearly alert, it looked fine and dand -

xXrmJuI.jpg

Awful. I'm blinded if I even aim-glide. Congratulations, development team. You've managed to mess up graphics even further than Saint of Altra garbled metal rendering, especially on Primes. Nobody asked for this glaring mess. With special emphasis on the GLARING part, because glare is literally all I can see now.

19 hours ago, Maxim_M_Payne said:

Awful. I'm blinded if I even aim-glide. Congratulations, development team. You've managed to mess up graphics even further than Saint of Altra garbled metal rendering, especially on Primes. Nobody asked for this glaring mess. With special emphasis on the GLARING part, because glare is literally all I can see now.

Welcome to Bikini Atoll. Today's weather is going to be a light Nagasaki breeze (I am fully aware that this happened almost exactly 75 years ago) leading into a full Castle Bravo later on towards noon. Wail in despair and clutch that fence, because you've all seen that scene in Terminator 2 where Sarah Connor burns to ashes.

It downright makes some scenes look bad, making the game look bad is probably not what they want, but it certainly seems like they've achieved it.

Just look at this simple example, just going into one of those half-menus looks bad. Look at Baro and the background, vs when not in the menu.
ZiHW0vl.jpg

6tWHK4C.jpg

Zero issue with it being an option but removing the ability to disable it is just plain dumb.
I have had to change the energy colour on my Kuva Nukor to black to stop my screen from being lit up like a Christmas tree and the adaptive brightness causing the entire screen to go extremely dark in the middle of a mission.

It is causing noticeable eye strain as my eyes keep adjusting to the brightness over and over again.
I had similar issues when i used to run Eidolons frequently just because of how dark it is out there and the constant bright energy put off that i started getting headaches after a while. Stopped doing Eidolons entirely and everything was fine, Please fix this, if not then i wont have much choice but to stop playing the game.

I have also brought a few friends over to Warframe who are still in the early game, if I leave then they will as well and we will move onto another game.

Bump,

Im also worried with adaptative exposure and all the light effects, playing more than an hour become painfull for eyes.

We need an option to adjust or turn it off.

Like Nora say " Baby I don't like it "

Archived