Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Youtube Advertising is too much (and wasting your money)

thurmack

Just a heads up, a lot of Warframe players seem to be seeing Warframe advertisements in Youtube these days. I think it started a few weeks ago, and there's been chatter about it in various WF communities.

I can't speak for everyone but I at least don't need to see these. Not only am I already playing the game, but if you wanted to remind me that Protea just came out then maybe one time would make sense but I've had to skip that advertisement maybe fifty times now and it's only serving to irritate me (three times just this morning on my bus ride to work). Plus Youtube's algorithms seem to be sending your ad to your playerbase, so if you are paying per view then they are robbing you. It's like if you hired a marketing firm to promote your burgers and they brought in screens to show their ads to people in your restaurant already eating your hamburgers.

EDIT: This post doesn't belong in General Discussion (imo). Please move to Feedback|General.

Edited by thurmack
Wrong forum
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, thurmack said:

It's like if you hired a marketing firm to promote your burgers and they brought in screens to show their ads to people in your restaurant already eating your hamburgers.

That's exactly what happens, why? Because it keeps people coming back.

• Like 5

Just because you're seeing it doesn't mean that people that aren't playing it won't get targeted too. Turns out that existing players will have some overlap with the data from players who would potentially be interested in playing the game, who could have known?

• Like 3

I'm sure YouTube and Google knows a lot about people, but they may not have data about the games you play. So YouTube's algorithm won't be able to tell of you are a registered (let alone active) Warframe player.

I'd love to get those Warframe ads though! YouTube thinks I should have children, and while it's flattering that it thinks I'm financially stable enough, I still don't get it why it gives me all those diaper ads.

28 minutes ago, -Kittens- said:

It's the best timeline that you think a 200 million net per year project is all about you, but new consoles are coming and thus marketing for new players.

Just because you're seeing it doesn't mean that people that aren't playing it won't get targeted too. Turns out that existing players will have some overlap with the data from players who would potentially be interested in playing the game, who could have known?

Guys, I am already playing warframe, so obviously advertizing is 100% useless past this point.

What ? Did you think there were other people out there ? Silly silly...

Did you guys not bother reading my post?
I always find it weird when people presume others are idiots in order to call them idiots. Just because you didn't think of something doesn't mean the rest of us didn't.

My complaint is two-fold:
1. Existing users are seeing too many ads, so the targeting of this ad campaign is poor.
2. If Youtube is charging per view and they are spamming existing players then they are ripping off DE.

Saying that potential new players could also be seeing the ads is a non-sequitur.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Imagine DE doing sweeping changes to their advertising campaign because of this post...

I doubt they even know. Marketing is usually handled by outside firms who based upon criteria established between the liaison from DE to them, and research on what media outlets that they would be able to cast a wide net on to pepper a perspective audience. Youtube wouldn't know that you play the game, but if you do any searches for Warframe or similar games it could que you for a Warframe ad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZarTham said:

If you think marketing is wasted money, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Also, use an ad-block ffs...

If you think that is the argument I made then you didn't read my comment, and yet replied nonetheless. How odd.
Do you have an adblock you recommend for youtube videos on mobile?

vor 27 Minuten schrieb Magus_Tahir:

Ublock Origin is an amazing thing.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Yakhul:

I'll take warframe adds any day over any other add, specially political oriented adds.

Wait..... I'm using add block 😞

A lot will talk this down i asusme but, honestly, i use it proudly, and why? Not because i not want to support youtubers or so but for oen simple reason, it repeats to often and on lets say a smartphone here, conenciton is already low and i nto need ads loaded first and waste my connection limit before i even get to what i wanted, ads thake to much resources and are to often in your face, i not gonna support such evne if others suffer for it sadly, even worse also if you have a 20 sec ad but the video itself is liek 7 sec, it's like on TV a series, 15 minutes left before it ends but a 7minute ad break comes before, so 6 min left onyl of it, not worth the wait often. Ads get out of hand in every goddamn media.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thurmack said:

Do you have an adblock you recommend for youtube videos on mobile?

Depending on your device you can search for adblock browsers. Firefox is a relatively good one and you can open Youtube with it. The is also an "Adblock" the actual literally named browser but its update reliability is somewhat lacking these days. Play store has several.

Edited by Magus_Tahir

3 minutes ago, thurmack said:

Youtube on my mobile.

dont use the youtube app. connect via a browser and use an adblocker.

or just watch the ads, you can generally skip them after a few seconds...but if youre not going to use an adblocker...no sense in complaining about the ads you see...you could avoid them if you really wanted to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marine027 said:

A lot will talk this down i asusme but, honestly, i use it proudly, and why? Not because i not want to support youtubers or so but for oen simple reason, it repeats to often and on lets say a smartphone here, conenciton is already low and i nto need ads loaded first and waste my connection limit before i even get to what i wanted, ads thake to much resources and are to often in your face, i not gonna support such evne if others suffer for it sadly, even worse also if you have a 20 sec ad but the video itself is liek 7 sec, it's like on TV a series, 15 minutes left before it ends but a 7minute ad break comes before, so 6 min left onyl of it, not worth the wait often. Ads get out of hand in every goddamn media.

Ads are also often ill-placed. You might be loading up a meditation video to chill out and it starts you off with a blasting ad about Audible, or your kid asks you what a protein is and when you try to load up an education video it starts by forcing your kid to watch 15s of propaganda about the banking industry helping people out during the pandemic.

Nevermind that you can't change the video quality during an ad so if it loads a long ad off wifi it can burn through data.

• Like 3

Just now, cha0sWyrM said:

dont use the youtube app. connect via a browser and use an adblocker.

or just watch the ads, you can generally skip them after a few seconds...but if youre not going to use an adblocker...no sense in complaining about the ads you see...you could avoid them if you really wanted to.

It's not leaving me in tears or anything. I'm specifically giving feedback to DE about some potential hiccups in their ad campaign. 

Just now, thurmack said:

It's not leaving me in tears or anything. I'm specifically giving feedback to DE about some potential hiccups in their ad campaign. 

but....its not des ad campaign you dont like...its youtubes algorithms for showing you ads.

13 minutes ago, thurmack said:

Saying that potential new players could also be seeing the ads is a non-sequitur.

In the realms of marketing what you are really after can be boiled down like this.

I send out 100 ads randomly to a group. Lets say 50 will watch it, while 50 skip it. Of that 50, 10 may play the game. Of that 10, maybe 5 will stick around, and of that 5, 1 will be a die hard fan. 

That die hard fan will also tell their friends, and be so passionate that they will get people in their social circles to try the game and of those circles you will probably get 1 more die hard fan. It is an exponential build up. For every 1 die hard fan, they will bring 1 more die hard fan. Your game will grow by doing this. But it has to start somewhere. Random ads on Youtube are not the endgame in advertising its to bring awareness not actually sell the game. The actual selling of the game is done via word of mouth, these days, chat rooms, discords, and friend circles. But first you need to get that 1 die hard fan to play the game and you don't know where they may be, so you need to cast the net as wide as possible. 

Edited by Magus_Tahir
  • Like 2