Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Xoris Interactions With Warframe Abilities & Exalted Weapons

[DE]Megan

This knee jerk decision needs to be addressed and thought over. The issue at hand isn't the Xoris having an "abundance of power" compared to everything else. Stat sticks have been for a long time. And a lot of outstanding stat sticks have been around for a long time. You're effectively killing an option for us and by the looks of it, doing it by going "oh golly the graph says people are using this weapon"

On 2020-07-01 at 8:55 AM, [DE]Megan said:

However, the overwhelming Damage output of certain Warframe Abilities was not our intention with an infinite Melee Combo weapon, and the conversation of ‘Xoris or you’re doing it wrong’ is greatly restrictive in terms of player choice.

'Xoris or you're doing it wrong' is not true due to a number of factors, outside of convenience. It's only fair that people will try the new thing and even consider it an option or even talk about it with their peers when it alleviates a factor. Take the Fragor Prime for a spin, take the Venkas for a walk, take a Jaw sword with a Riven, I could go on, but the Xoris shouldn't be singled out and it should be piece in a bigger picture than simply killing it. Don't just go "people are using it", ask why, and see if there's a solution that doesn't involve putting the new toy 6ft under.

25 minutes ago, Geraion said:

Read the part with the required for a quest and new weapon.

Doesn't matter. Basic statistics have to take into account not the total number of people who own it, but rather the number of people who are using in a specific context.

- How many people have the Xoris? From that, you extract:

- How many people build the Xoris as a stats stick?

- How many people who have Khora/Atlas did stat sticks before Xoris?

- Is there a correlation between Xoris usage spikes and content creator videos centered around it?

- How many people have started farming/buying Khora/Atlas after Xoris was released vs. before release?

- How many people have tried Xoris as a stats stick and kept it vs. how many people returned to their old stat sticks?

- How many people use the Xoris in comparison to other new weapons?

- How many people use the Xoris in comparison to other quest weapons?

- Where are people using the Xoris? ESO? Exterminate?

- How many people are doing longer ESO runs ever since they started using the Xoris?

- How many people are actually using the Xoris to kill things as a melee weapon?

And many more questions for context that goes beyond "Total number of people using Xoris". That's data DE have. 

The only way your argument holds any water is if you believe DE are just taking the total number of people and going with it as a knee-jerk reaction. You can't make an accurate statistical assessment  without taking into account factors beyond total numbers. But go ahead if you believe you can.

1 hour ago, Jarriaga said:

I disagree with you there. People who optimize are a tiny minority. Most people just go to YouTube and type "Warframe best damage 2020" and go with whatever video they find from Grind Hard Squad or Brozime. They don't even have to farm Khora; they buy her like the buy Ivara because they can't be bothered to farm her. And Xoris is a free weapon awarded to everyone

I will agree with you there. I used to do just the same thing. I should also point out that I didn't forget bramma or catchmoon nerfs, I just didn't care because I didn't use them, and I didn't even like the bramma, as it's visuals are a pain up the rear for anyone playing on potatoes. The only "big" nerfs that ever affected me were ash bladestorm's demise (which it sadly deserved if we're fair) and the tonkor self-damage, and the tonkor remained my most used weapon even after. I only stopped using because I hate the rolling animation you do now. Death seemed fair balance for an overpowered blast to me, and I enjoyed the guessing part of it. Hikou prime + concealed explosives same thing.

So I will concede to your point that convenience can be a bad thing. I will also say that I appreciate you quoting yourself, I didn't read the entire topic, since I like my eyes not dehydrated from the salt. Just wanted to make sure DE heard that this is not the right way to go about this, a point by which I stand. Either the damage is the problem, and we should expect a serious overhaul in the future, or it's not (contrary to what they said), and convenience is, and then what? Because the line between fun to play and annoying is a thin one sometimes. I don't have the answer here. I just wish they didn't carpet bomb this nerf over all exalted weapons. Not all of them are particularly overtuned, some are even undertuned, by quite a bit. And I wish they were honest with us, or at least respected us enough to do the math on what they nerf. Ah, if only wishes did come true.

I'd like to add two more things: I've never bought a warframe that wasn't a vaulted prime in parts. I still don't have harrow because it's my personal cursed drop (80+ C-rotations on saturn, rip). It's easy for me to forget that you can buy warframes from the market, because I consider it a self-defeating thing to do, especially in a grind game. You are very right to point this out as part of the convenience. But then it's payed for convenience. I don't mind a free PvE game having an indirect form of pay to win in it.
Secondly I appreciate your calm answer. Thanks for that. My apologies that I'm way too lazy to quote you everywhere.

PS: Expecting everything to fall under 100% the same ruleset might be a logical fallacy, but I merely expect them to have a semi-consistent design philosophy. But warframe has a tendency to be all over the place. Which is in some places one of it's strengths. But in others, like here, I believe it's a weakness. When it comes to player power and it's creep  in warframe, there should be some guidelines to follow, and right now, it's still all over the place.

Nerf it all you want but yall need to refund any investment that was made into the weapon. 

You can still get roughly the same effect with a riven and Naromon. Infact with quite a few weapons you can get even better numbers and a long enough combo duration to not really worry about it. This nerf just made it less acceptable with those without a riven.  

26 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

You make some valid points. However, the main issue here is that the popularity of Xoris doesn't mean it is better than non-xoris builds. The popularity of it comes from its convenience. As Brozime made very clear, and those of us who have had super powerful atlas/khora builds for a long time have been well aware before Xoris was released, Xoris is not the issue.

DE have claimed that Xoris allows for super powerful builds but in reality these builds have existed for a long time. Naramon + 1 combo duration mod pretty much locks in that max level combo count for most mission types. Xoris has puny Riven disposition so its potential as a stat stick is not even close to that of the higher tier options

I agree with you here. That's precisely why I believe DE made a huge mistake by mentioning the problem was the damage output rather than the number of people flocking to this. They made a statement that was objectively false if taken at face value, and there was no way to salvage the conversation at that point.

The only other context we have is "If you're not using it you're doing it wrong", which is something they've only ever said about Kuva Bramma and Catchmoon. That indicates that the problem is not the damage per se, but the number of people flocking to that weapon. But there's no going back now, and that's on them. Their choice of words opened them up to the backlash.

6 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

I agree with you here. That's precisely why I believe DE made a huge mistake by mentioning the problem was the damage output rather than the number of people flocking to this. They made a statement that was objectively false as their justification if taken at face value, and there was no way to salvage the conversation at that point.

The only other context we have is "If you're not using it you're doing wrong", which is something they've only ever said about Kuva Bramma and Catchmoon. That indicates that the problem is not the damage per se, but the number of people flocking to that weapon. But there's no going back now, and that's on them. Their choice of words opened them up to the backlash.

The "if you're not using it you're doing it wrong" is hilarious.

People like the weapon so they're playing with it. People won't stick with it forever. Unlike Bramma and Catchmoon it really isn't the best option. Not for regular melee and not as a stat stick.

People will drift away from Xoris regardless of its infinite combo duration.

Heck, I've known about it since it came out and I've never even thought of replacing my conventional stat stick because xoris is nowhere near as effective.

DE, why you do dis...

Idiot Facepalm GIF

11 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Doesn't matter. Basic statistics have to take into account not the total number of people who own it, but rather the number of people who are using in a specific context.

- nipped for brevity

The answer is, I don't know. As a normie player DE will never even notice the existance of, same as you, I don't have access to their stats.

Popularity means jack all so soon after release. That it made a few frames more all-round usable because it made non-exalted builds more flexible with options is not OP, it's a breath of fresh air that will pass.

Bramma took AGES to get nerfed, and it was consistantly top-tier. Xoris was just released, so what if it's trending for a while. They made a bad knee-jerk decision, just admit it. Or better yet, ask DE about your questions, they have the answers, but I doubt they care to give an honesst answer instead of just stemming the flow of fun because it's the easiest option instead of actually taking a good hard look at WHY they have to make these knee-jerk reactions to begin with. Xoris is not part of the root, it exhibited a symptom.

10 minutes ago, Geraion said:

Bramma took AGES to get nerfed, and it was consistantly top-tier. Xoris was just released, so what if it's trending for a while. They made a bad knee-jerk decision, just admit it.

Let's set some baselines here so we can understand one another: Kuva Bramma took 4 months to get nerfed, and we can argue even less since the usage spike started when self-damage was removed in Update 27.2, making it 3 months.

You then say "let Xoris trend for awhile".

How long? 

And how much more will it then amplify the backlash because DE didn't act on time? Where do you draw the line?

- Nerf things when they are just released so people don't get used to it = People get mad at DE.

- Don't nerf things on time and let them fester as people get used to it = People get mad at DE.

Where do you draw the line?

19 minutes ago, anfuerudo said:

I'll just post it here, because all pages in this topic need at least one post with it.😉

Yip after watching this I really hope de doesn't nerf it. But this also tells us that de just looks at YouTube videos and go "oh now it's to powerful nerf it". 

4 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Let's set some baselines here so we can understand one another: Kuva Bramma took 4 months to get nerfed, and we can argue even less since the usage spike started when self-damage was removed in Update 27.2, making it 3 months.

You then say "let Xoris trend for awhile".

How long? 

And how much more will it then amplify the backlash because DE didn't act on time? Where do you draw the line?

- Nerf things when they are just released so people don't get used to it = People get mad at DE.

- Don't nerf things on time and let them fester as people get used to it = People get mad at DE.

When they test things before releasing them,that's were the line will draw. They need personal test persons to test weapons with warframes before releasing them 

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Zerorama-7 said:

When they test things before releasing them,that's were the line will draw. They need personal test persons to test weapons with warframes before releasing them 

Sure, but that doesn't answer my question unless your implication is "Be perfect at all times, never miss anything".

Again, assuming something slips, where do you draw the line? He said the Bramma nerf took "ages" in all caps even though it only took 3-4 months depending on counting the removal of self damage. If that is "Ages", where is the line for a decent time in which something is allowed to be if it slips through?  

10 minutes ago, (PS4)FirstAidSprays said:

Spitting facts my guy.

So you think DE are not accounting for this?

3 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Sure, but that doesn't answer my question unless your implication is "Be perfect at all times, never miss anything".

Again, assuming something slips, where do you draw the line?

He's not wrong though. DE doesn't test things thoroughly with a broad enough cluster, otherwise these knee-jerk screw-overs wouldn't happen, and they wouldn't release 'broken' weapons.

They most definately should get some of the popular min-maxers on board for weapon-testing before release so they can give feedback for their max potential. For the average joe, it won't matter, but it definately will for the people who care about optimizing and pushing limits. Floors are easy, ceilings need to be taken into account as well, because they have both audiences, no matter if it's just 1%.

Anything in regards to stats is not things to ask another player, we don't have any of those answers, so it doesn't win you any arguments until DE actually makes their internal stats and their intended goals official.

4 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Again, assuming something slips, where do you draw the line? He said the Bramma nerf took "ages" in all caps even though it only took 3-4 months depending on counting the removal of self damage. If that is "Ages", where is the line for a decent time in which something is allowed to be if it slips through?  

So you think DE are not accounting for this?

Well there will always be people who will complain that's just us being humans. But de wont get as big as a backlash if they would just test and take feedback from us who play the game. But this keeps happening cause they don't test.

5 minutes ago, Geraion said:

He's not wrong though. DE doesn't test things thoroughly with a broad enough cluster, otherwise these knee-jerk screw-overs wouldn't happen, and they wouldn't release 'broken' weapons.

They most definately should get some of the popular min-maxers on board for weapon-testing before release so they can give feedback for their max potential. For the average joe, it won't matter, but it definately will for the people who care about optimizing and pushing limits. Floors are easy, ceilings need to be taken into account as well, because they have both audiences, no matter if it's just 1%.

Anything in regards to stats is not things to ask another player, we don't have any of those answers, so it doesn't win you any arguments until DE actually makes their internal stats and their intended goals official.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Zerorama-7 said:

Well there will always be people who will complain that's just us being humans. But de wont get as big as a backlash if they would just test and take feedback from us who play the game. But this keeps happening cause they don't test.

That's fine and all, but answer the question:

Again, you said the Bramma nerf took "ages" in all caps even though it only took 3-4 months depending on counting the removal of self damage. If that is "Ages", where is the line for a decent time in which something is allowed to be if it slips through?

Yes, DE need more and better testers. If you believe that these testers will happen to catch everything at all times then wonderful. I just hope you're not hoping for anyone to hold you to your own standards.

But still you refuse to define a standard DE can even aim to work towards in case of an error.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Zerorama-7 said:

Khora and venari during the event was the eye opener for me that tell me de don't test before they put out

Just now, Jarriaga said:

That's fine and all, but answer the question:

Again, you said the Bramma nerf took "ages" in all caps even though it only took 3-4 months depending on counting the removal of self damage. If that is "Ages", where is the line for a decent time in which something is allowed to be if it slips through?

Yes, DE need more and better testers. If you believe that these testers will happen to catch everything at all times when wonderful. I just hope you're not hoping for anyone to hold you to your own standards.

At least a month, if not 2. As for Bramma, they didn't as such nerf it, they tweaked it, and it's still a good weapon. A week with xoris and now they want to literally trash it. Tell me how that makes any sense with previous arguments that have been demonstrated by capable players in mind.

I'm going to sound like a bit of a nag.. 

I have been lurking on the outskirts of forums trying to reserve judgement. DE drama with chat mods, DE drama with public image.. drama drama drama.. all suggesting DE is trying to self-destruct and not listening to it's players. Which makes no sense. 

So I'm going to say as an unbiased, uninvolved person, it really DOES look that way. 

There are glitches that have existed in this game, for freaking years (anyone still getting stuck over doors? or watch a bullet curve around an enemy when you shot right through them?) and there are glitches that appear every day that are glaring as hell (anyone see what happens when Protea in Noble stance wears a large chest attachment? who needs arms anyway?) but you will stop everything to throw a nerf at the speed of sound.

Why? Because people are having fun and you can't stand it? Do you play your own game? Every time a new weapon comes out, everyone has it.. any of you guys remember Bramma storm 2020 when you couldn't see an enemy on any screen because everything was explosions? It got old, people got tired of not being able to see and bouncing around and everything went back to normal. 

There have ALWAYS been leet players using this exact same mechanic. I've seen it. I've seen players one shotting enemies that were minibosses to me, while wielding a damned JAW SWORD. All the Xoris did is make this mechanic more accessable to newer players. It's not like the damned thing is broken, you gave it to everyone and  I've seen another Xoris 3 times in 40 hours of gaming. Frankly, glaives kinda suck (they REALLY should target-lock while charging) and it's nice to see one have a use. It's not like players couldn't already do what the Xoris lets you do anyway, right? 

Stop nerfing everything, damnit. Instead, add nerfs to the BACK of the list of S#&$ that needs to be fixed.. 

Like your damned Twitch rewards that players spend money to get, only to be told, 3 seperate times in a row, oh well, we don't give a crap, go F yourself. Nice DE! 

Or your moderators that think you gave them a Green Power Ring and a License to Kill and ban players who have spent thousands on the game for 2 weeks for saying the word "trap" while 12 year olds chant about eating my mother. Oh and when you ask for help, we don't give a crap, go F yourself! 

Why don't you fix what's broken first, mainly in your customer service, and then worry about people enjoying your game too much? 

14 minutes ago, Geraion said:

At least a month, if not 2. As for Bramma, they didn't as such nerf it, they tweaked it, and it's still a good weapon. A week with xoris and now they want to literally trash it. Tell me how that makes any sense with previous arguments that have been demonstrated by capable players in mind.

It was a nerf. Any tweak that results in a lower performance is a nerf. Any tweak that results in better performance is a buff. Bramma got a nerf by virtue of its ammo economy being more restrictive, thus decreasing its DPS.

If you want to argue that that's not a nerf then I'm done here. And the irony here about your comment about this change making the Xoris useless is that there are no changes to how the Xoris works if being used as a weapon rather than as stat stick, which I'm pretty certain is an inconvenient thing to notice. This only serves to highlight that to you and many others here, the Xoris was not even a weapon to begin with: It was nothing more than an ability booster.

Hi DE, I used my formas on the Xoris because I use it with my warframes abilities but now that quality of life is being removed from the game, I wish to know if we who farmed to build the weapon will get any compensation for the time and resources used on such a weapon. Please I feel that I wasted my time in resources in something that was immediatly nerfed.

3 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

It was a nerf. Any tweak that results in a lower performance is a nerf. Any tweak that results in better performance is a buff. Bramma got a nerf by virtue of its ammo economy being more restrictive, thus decreasing its DPS.

If you want to argue that that's not a nerf then I'm done here. And the irony here about your comment about this change making the Xoris useless is that there are no changes to how the Xoris works if being used as a weapon rather than as stat stick, which I'm pretty certain is an inconvenient thing to notice.  

It wasn't as much of a nerf, not compared to this. I failed the sentence, my bad. And no, they technically speaking didn't nerf xoris, they just made it the single worst item to use if you wanted to also use a smaller list of warframe abilities, that if you built for these abilities anyway, this changes nothing. It ONLY matters for people looking to expand on a non-exalted-weapon focused build to use 1 more ability on the regular because now it could be useful.The reason people used it past the quest.

5 minutes ago, gustavoradat said:

Hi DE, I used my formas on the Xoris because I use it with my warframes abilities but now that quality of life is being removed from the game, I wish to know if we who farmed to build the weapon will get any compensation for the time and resources used on such a weapon. Please I feel that I wasted my time in resources in something that was immediatly nerfed.

you never get anything refunded 1 forma tops

Tonkor 9 forma (1 refund)

Brama (6 forma)

Chroma (6 forma)

at the top of my head

Archived