Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sony is in the Hunt to “BUY” DE/Warframe.

Honestly not sure how I feel about it, same as I wouldnt be sure how I'd feel if it said Microsoft or Nintendo instead.

Right now they're owned by a holding/investor company, they publish their own game etc. with the company there as a buffer if needed incase of funding. Sony and the others are big publishers etc. that will likely have a far more hands on approach when it comes to the design and so on. Not really sure how I feel about it. I'd also dread if I had to get myself a Sony account in addition to Steam and WF/DE accounts just in order to play on my PC.

I can see the benefits though for an easier time getting to partial cross progression for all of you who'd enjoy that, so that is a good thing atleast.

2 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Not sure how I feel about it. If things remain as they are, then that's fine, but if Sony puts pressure on them to make more Playstation exclusives, I'll be rather annoyed.

That's my biggest concern.

Just now, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

De should really create another founder package and buy all the shares that're out there so this "everyone grabbing for de" can stop and they can become truly independent

Never gonna happen.

Just now, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

I didn't mean rerelease the existing founder package, I meant create a new one that supports them becoming independent.

Still never gonna happen. You need to realise that investors don't want their shares to be bought back by the source if said source remains profitable.

1 minute ago, Corvid said:

Considering that Microsoft has been the more pro-consumer of the two lately, I wonder why.

Microsoft would help DE release buggier updates. I can just see it!

Example Warframe Insider Program bug:

PC Bugs: Warframe is bricking my computer!
PC Bugs: Warframe is running at 10 FPS!

NOTE: Windows Insider Program does routinely brick users' computers. This was only a half-joke.

Just now, nslay said:

Microsoft would help DE release buggier updates. I can just see it!

Example Warframe Insider Program bug:

PC Bugs: Warframe is bricking my computer!
PC Bugs: Warframe is running at 10 FPS!

NOTE: Windows Insider Program does routinely brick users' computers. This was only a half-joke.

More likely, Microsoft would be more hands-off. That's how they tend to run these things.

Just now, Corvid said:

More likely, Microsoft would be more hands-off. That's how they tend to run these things.

Yeah, I just hate Microsoft. It was a perfect opportunity to toss some half-jokes out there.

Just now, Corvid said:

Considering that Microsoft has been the more pro-consumer of the two lately, I wonder why.

Pro consumer how? They're locking their games behind their absolutely atrocious store as well as actively sabotaging their OS to take away control from their users. They're buying good studios (Ninja Theory) and make them churn out S#&$. They're the originators of big scale microtransactions (Ryse) and are actively investing into a system designed to be as anti-consumer as possible (Xbox Game Pass). I don't trust Microsoft any more than I trust Tencent. While Sony is actively incompetent, I'll take that over actively evil.

Upside: Anything is better than Tencent.

Downside: Sony recently announced that they were starting a division for making first-party games, and this could be their attempt to bolster that new division. If that's the case, we could see anything from them trying to make Warframe updates go to the PS5 before any other platform (Sony loves their timed exclusives, after all) to them trying to make DE work on some project exclusively for the PS5, cutting into development of Warframe.

According to the article, the owner wants to sign a deal by the end of this month, so if it's true we won't have much longer to wait and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

and are actively investing into a system designed to be as anti-consumer as possible (Xbox Game Pass).

I'm biased as I actively play on Xbox, but at least from what I've seen, Game Pass is extremely consumer friendly. With an acceptable subscription it offers tons of triple As, I'm don't use the service but the amount of good stuff there honestly surprised me. 

DE is not even kind of in the logistical/cultural position to do the kind of output Sony expects and they haven't been for almost a decade.

How quickly we forget WF is "player ready" and how long that took to do. $ony isn't M$, and the moment you miss two deadlines in a row or that vertical slice randomly crashes during Skype meetings about goal hitting, they will unleash the hounds, and about a year after that DE will be a very different company, and about five years after that DE will be an unrecognizable company.

Sony has an extremely "friendly" (aggressive) corporate regime and the chances of them losing that any time soon is naivete at best.

Can't we just have some big Canadian maple syrup farm invest in DE? I'd really feel more comfortable if Canada's own businesses invested in DE. I mean Leyou was originally a chicken farmer... so why not?

11 minutes ago, Perisie said:

Upside: Anything is better than Tencent.

Downside: Sony recently announced that they were starting a division for making first-party games, and this could be their attempt to bolster that new division. If that's the case, we could see anything from them trying to make Warframe updates go to the PS5 before any other platform (Sony loves their timed exclusives, after all) to them trying to make DE work on some project exclusively for the PS5, cutting into development of Warframe.

According to the article, the owner wants to sign a deal by the end of this month, so if it's true we won't have much longer to wait and see what happens.

Let's be clear about something: No one is going to use Digital Extremes to churn out first-party games. Sony wants to make an impression. They're not going to fall back on DE to do that. At least, if they're smart, they won't, because DE can't be trusted to make anything other than Warframe (just look at Amazing Eternals).

Just now, (PS4)Navalhabr said:

DE with 100% Creative control + Sony power (marketing, tec, developers, studios)... HUGE!!!

The key thing is that DE would have Sony's devs and technology, as well as Sony's pressure for DE to actually manage themselves (as, right now, DE's worst fault is that they are very poorly managed, based on numerous employee statements over the years as well as what we've seen of the devs and their statements).

à l’instant, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 a dit :

If they buy DE and make Warframe PS5 exclusive then I’ll be pissed.

Warframe being PS5 exclusive is unlikely to happen. DE knows very well removing XB1, NS, PC support will cause long term losses to the company, ESPECIALLY given that DE only owns 3% of their own shares and Leyou owns the other 97%.

I don't think it would have much if any impact on the game as far as gameplay goes.  They'ed likely just get to use Warframe's image for marketing purposes.  Haven't looked at what about it is being sold.  But it could be similar to what might be happening with Warner brothers studio (people who make Mortal kombat.)

Archived