Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Latron - Semi-Sniper Build

matto

Question

Hi guys,

So, I checked my arsenal and found out that my old Latron (not the Prime version) was still here. I have it since my first steps in Warframe, and it's more like a relic I keep to remember those good old days. I used one Forma on it and decided to give it a second and try to make another build.

What I am thinking about is a semi sniper use for it. It's already the purpose of the Latron, being an alternative to sniper rifles.

So here is what I am going to do :

Split Chamber

Serration

Heavy Caliber

Cryo Rounds

Piercing Hit

Shred

Eagle Eye (at 40%)

I am still wondering what would be good for the 8th mod. I am waiting for Armor 2.0 and the elemental combinations.

What do you think about such a build? Viable?

No need to tell me "Get a Latron Prime" or "Sniper will always be better than this build", etc. It won't help. It's just me trying to revive my old rifle and bring it to higher levels. :)

15 answers to this question

You could ditch the Eagle Eye to just get a generic headshot build, or put it back on so the Latron can be used from more than 40m away. Honestly, there's almost no situation in Warframe where you need to snipe enemies from far away. The build fits the purpose, but unless long-distance fighting were more common, you should put a damage mod in it's place.

Also, the Latron isn't really an alternative to snipers IMO. It can be used as such, but it's just a carbine. An accurate one, one for headshots, but not for long range without this build.

It has a decent (kinda) crit chance. I would dump the Eagle Eye and slap a crit chance and crit damage mod on it. 7.5% +150% is 18.75% and with a 90% multishot its around 33.5% that at least ONE of the two shots crits (already calculated that multishot is only 90%).

150%+90% of 40 is 96, Ok, far from the thousands you can get with a Bow or the Lanka, but it's better than nothing anyway.

Also worth a shot is the Hush (silencer) mod. If you care about stealth anyway.

Bottom line, Latron is THE sniper rifle until you can get your hands on a Lanka. Vulkar is total crap.

It has a decent (kinda) crit chance. I would dump the Eagle Eye and slap a crit chance and crit damage mod on it. 7.5% +150% is 18.75% and with a 90% multishot its around 33.5% that at least ONE of the two shots crits (already calculated that multishot is only 90%).

150%+90% of 40 is 96, Ok, far from the thousands you can get with a Bow or the Lanka, but it's better than nothing anyway.

Also worth a shot is the Hush (silencer) mod. If you care about stealth anyway.

Bottom line, Latron is THE sniper rifle until you can get your hands on a Lanka. Vulkar is total crap.

Correction! Multishot makes a replica of your bullet, so It's still a 18.75% crit chance on the weapon. Just so people don't get confused and think that your gun have a higher crit chance then it actully has.

where is your wildfire mod?

The Latron is already quite ammo efficient. And about adding a fire elemental touch, as I said, I am waiting for Armor 2.0 to see the effect of the new elemental combinations.

You could ditch the Eagle Eye to just get a generic headshot build, or put it back on so the Latron can be used from more than 40m away. Honestly, there's almost no situation in Warframe where you need to snipe enemies from far away. The build fits the purpose, but unless long-distance fighting were more common, you should put a damage mod in it's place.

Also, the Latron isn't really an alternative to snipers IMO. It can be used as such, but it's just a carbine. An accurate one, one for headshots, but not for long range without this build.

Adding the Eagle Eye is just for the gameplay feeling of a sniper. And indeed, as you said, there's no real situation that makes this build really relevant. It's more like something I had in mind to blow the dust off it without making another damage build. I have some other weapons for this. As for a headshot build, well that was more or less what I was using before when I was still using it :)

That was actually why I posted this thread. Because I was wondering about the crits. The crit chance is enough to think about it, but I had to make a choice. As I said, waiting for Armor 2.0 to add eventually an elemental mod. If I don't feel like doing so, I'll probably add a boost on the crit side, without any elemental mod. Getting rid of Cryo rounds. Eagle Eye is kind of the reason of this build, if I change it, then it's no longer a sniper build. I could get a Lanka, but I've never been a sniper kind of guy in any game. I make this just for fun :)

I´d put Stabilizer on it,for more control when firing more shots

I need more slots for that :x

Edited by matto

Cryo rounds is useful for shields (x2 freeze damage to shields), and since it slows down the enemy is also a very good thing to keep on a sniper-ish weapon. I see no reason to NOT have it loaded on a rifle as long as it isn't in the way of significant damage boost mods or AP mods.

Correction! Multishot makes a replica of your bullet, so It's still a 18.75% crit chance on the weapon. Just so people don't get confused and think that your gun have a higher crit chance then it actully has.

I said it's 33.5% chance that ONE of the two bullets created by Multishot crit (with already factored in that there is only 90% chance that you actually shoot two bullets). Afaik, crit is calculated separately per bullet.

Edited by bobafetthotmail

The Latron is already quite ammo efficient. And about adding a fire elemental touch, as I said, I am waiting for Armor 2.0 to see the effect of the new elemental combinations.

Cold and Fire gives you Blast which is AoE stun and minor bonuses VS flesh and armor.

Cold and Electricity gives you Magnetic which is Perm. Damage to Shielding and +++ VS shields and ++ VS robotics

Cold and Toxic (If there is one) gives you Viral which is Perm. Damage to Health and ++++ VS flesh, but Negative vs robotics

Edited by Archistopheles

Cold and Fire gives you Blast which is AoE stun and minor bonuses VS flesh and armor.

Cold and Electricity gives you Magnetic which is Perm. Damage to Shielding and +++ VS shields and ++ VS robotics

Cold and Toxic (If there is one) gives you Viral which is Perm. Damage to Health and ++++ VS flesh, but Negative vs robotics

I was thinking about the Magnetic combination actually :)

AoE Stun could be useful indeed, but when I read that, I thought that Magnetic would be the best against Corpus and Grineer. Might be wrong, I don't understand the difference between shields and armor. Does he mean shields like those from Ospreys?

AoE Stun could be useful indeed, but when I read that, I thought that Magnetic would be the best against Corpus and Grineer. Might be wrong, I don't understand the difference between shields and armor. Does he mean shields like those from Ospreys?

Same as we have. Shielding is the blue number: (Ospreys, MOA, Elite Grinner, Heavy Units and bosses have shields) armor is what Grineer wear on their bodies.

From a machanics standpoint, "shield" is just a bucket of HP that can regenerate (or not for Heavy Grineer) and has different interactions, for example cold does 2x damage to shields. Both on us and on them. (also remember the mission mode where there is ice everywhere)

Armor is a damage reduction. All attacks on that mob are reduced by X or to X% of their original. And this is present across the board on all mobs, just that Grineer and Ancients have it higher, and MOAs don't have any.

Edited by bobafetthotmail

Ok thank you guys :)

With the last update and the change of Heavy Caliber, I think I won't max it and keep it as it is now : RARE 5, +90% damage, -30% Accuracy. Maxing it would probably result in a non accurate Sniper build so...

At -30% I am still pretty accurate at long range.

Edited by matto