Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Questions regarding Loc-Pins

IceBlueEyesX

Question

I've only recently gotten into using these things, and as expected, I've been putting them up in various areas of the Orb Vallis.

However, my initial intent was to use them for marking the various Toroid caves for convenience while trying to find the Somachord Tones out there.  Finding the caves was easy enough with a bit of help, and I managed to find a few Toroids in said caves.  However...ever since placing Loc-Pins in there, no Toroids have been spawning in any of the caves whatsoever.  All of the K-Drive races seem to be the same, too, ever since then.

So I have a few questions related to that, and I would certainly appreciate any feedback on the matter.

Does placing Loc-Pins near item drop spawns keep said item drops from spawning?
Is there a range to take into consideration for such a thing, if it is indeed possible?
Does placing a Loc-Pin set your map instance each time you load in to an area, regardless of whether or not you logged off and logged back in some time later?

I apologize in advance if this isn't posted in the correct section of the forums.  I just really wanted to get this out there and get some answers, whether they are posted here or on an existing thread elsewhere.

11 answers to this question

Both the toroids drop and the races are selected randomly in a pool that rotates (4 races every day, some toroids every time you enter the OV). For the races you can equip a built k-drive (not the default one) and they'll show up on the big map, for toroids you can get a lot of loot radar and fly around the locations with archwing.

Ah! I see another fellow Tenno wants to get some toroids/somachords. Let me answer those questions:

Like Am_Sha3gar had said above, toroids are randomly thrown into caves upon loading into the Orb Vallis. Those Loc-Pins will NOT affect any spawns. I am also happy to say that the Loc-pins stay permanently between sessions as stated on the Wiki https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Loc-Pin.

Loc-Pins do not set your instance inside of OV or POE, it simply stays at the location it was last been at.

Hope that helps 😄

Good luck Tenno!

2 hours ago, IceBlueEyesX said:

Does placing Loc-Pins near item drop spawns keep said item drops from spawning?

No, Loc-Pins and item spawn in an instance are separate things. Please note that toroids have a very low spawn chance in cave.

Does placing a Loc-Pin set your map instance each time you load in to an area, regardless of whether or not you logged off and logged back in some time later?

Yes. Loc-Pins would always stay in the same location no matter which and when instance you are in. They are also visible in other host's instance. To remove the loc-pin, interact with it and destroy. Note that the loc-pin would be lost.

All of the K-Drive races seem to be the same, too, ever since then.

Race tracks are rotated once per real-time day. So even if you reload the instance several times, the tracks would still be the same within a rotation. If the tracks are stuck even after several days, please contact support to ask them fix it for you.

The Toroids spawning in caves are tricky. When I was first discovering the caves, found a few, but after that just nothing. True, when I first looked through caves I entered every little room and discovered everything I could, after that I only went in to mine and fish. But I still find this weird. They're either buggy, or SHArK-FiN is right and their spawn rate is so low it's not worth your time to look for them. 

If you want to farm Toroids, you'll have a better chance with Nekros and a Smeeta, especially when Thermia fractures are under control. Each type of Toroid (which spawns in caves) has a dedicated location where enemies drop it, you can look it up in Wikipedia and go farm them the regular way.

I use Loc-Pics for the gate back to Cetus/Fortuna.

I use Loc-Pins for 4k and 5k+ races in OV for grinding standing purposes.  (Dont drop the pins right on top of the race npc's, It makes it incredibly hard to see if the npc is there or not on your map.  Place the pins about 30-50meters away.   You need to see them on your map because they change every day.  PS: there are 5 races per day not 4)

I use Loc-Pins on the tents in PoE.  Some tents list bounties Tier 1-5.  Some of the Tents only give you bounties from the same tier you just ran.  I use 1 color to mark all the open bounty tents,  I use a different color to mark all the same tier tents.  These can be placed right on the tents.  When I spend time in PoE I know exactly where to go with my map when I need another mission.   Doing the 5 dif bounties in PoE is suuuuper easy.    I wish OV had tents instead of the stupid base take overs...  

----------------------

Cant answer the toroids but no the loc pins dont affect anything...... I cant answer cave toroids because I never hunt them,  they are super rare.   The races only reset once per day at 6-7 pm central time like syndicate standing.  (Theres 23 unique races, we get an achievement for running them all on console).  

I dont really see much reason to mark anything else....  Maybe the cave entrances in OV that lead to good cave ponds?? That would be nice to see cuz I never remember lol.   

Thank you to all who posted responses here, as the information provided has been very useful and also reassuring to hear.
It would be nice if I could find some numbers for Toroid spawn rates within the caves, though I do understand that there are easier and better ways of farming them.
Strange as it may sound, sometimes I just like to explore the Orb Vallis without having to deal with much (or any) combat, if possible.
Plus, it serves as a nice distraction at times while looking for Somachord Tones.  Only a few more to get before I have them all, thankfully.

59 minutes ago, IceBlueEyesX said:

It would be nice if I could find some numbers for Toroid spawn rates within the caves

I am not sure if anyone has the time to count the chance with mass data, provided that there is no exact number extracted.  I farmed toroids ( probably ~50+ ) in this way a long time ago.  In my experience there are less than 2% chance for a cave to spawn toroids. At best there were 6 toroids spawned in one instance, but 0 most of the time, exploring all possible spawn caves in the map.

On 2020-07-06 at 1:45 AM, Am_Sha3gar said:

Both the toroids drop and the races are selected randomly in a pool that rotates (4 races every day, some toroids every time you enter the OV). For the races you can equip a built k-drive (not the default one) and they'll show up on the big map, for toroids you can get a lot of loot radar and fly around the locations with archwing.

5 races

Archived