Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Steel Path: Feedback Megathread!

SilverBones

As been noted by others, the rewards need a massive bump.

Steel Essence in general needs to be more common from Eximus units, currently it barely drops. When it was mentioned Steel Essence would be a drop I figured it would make it a possible efficient grind compared to camping out in Kuva Fortress on normal for Kuva, currently that isnt the case due to the extremely low drop rate of them. Ontop of that the resource chance booster innate to the mode is extremely lackluster since it only effects non-guaranteed drops, so pointless if we wanna grind Kuva Fortress in Steel Path for instance. 2x resource booster would be far more useful and proper considering where we are at in the game when we access Steel Path. Most we need is Kuva at that point, but the mode is the most inefficent way to get it, which is sad since it would be nice with the increased mob levels instead of snoozefest normal.

Regarding difficulty. Well it isnt exactly what I'd call difficult, it is just more time consuming, but that is all fine in itself if the rewards were there to back up the extra time it takes due to the natural increased TTL of enemies. Howver I'd prefer more unique units that actually did something to us in Steel Path, think of something along the lines of arbitration drones that make enemies immune to certain things around them. We could have anything from straight up arbi-drone mechanics to selective ones, some being anti-ability and some being anti-range and others anti-melee etc. Things that makes us change the approach a bit. It would be far more interesting than the +armor and +shields. Also it wouldnt have to be drones, but you could just have a tweak of current eximus units, like an Range Denial Eximus Bombard or something.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb LSG501:

1 a day consistently basically and I don't forma things I don't like if you get me.

I polarize also useful weapons. In sum everything except the stug.^^

vor 45 Minuten schrieb zuraja:

There is absolutely nothing challenging or fun about Steel Path.  It's just a tedious chore that punishes you for wanting to use anything other than top of the meta weapons and frames.

What are you using which isn't strong enough to kill the enemies? I would like to help you by proving it with a video.

Heres my Final Feedback...

I dont care if Steel Path lives or dies.... i dont care if you lower or increase the drops or rewards...

My main Warframes are not really viable on the Steel Path so.... dont think  il be playing it anymore.... its good that the rewards are not enticing enough.... now players wont feel like the need to chew through content to get decent access to stuff...

I could be wrong though.... Energy Amplifier just dropped for me last night.....  i never got this mod from the original star chart.... 

16 hours ago, LSG501 said:

It might 'sound' a lot but we currently have over 40 frames (variants excluded) and 500+ weapons.... even if you just limit the weapons to melee (currently no mods for others), we're still looking at over 150 melee.  I personally don't see 18 (+ any nightwave ones) as being excessive for 190 items... that's like 1 in 10 (at 9 it's 1 in 20) if you only stick one umbra forma on an item.

You say it needs to be limited, well it is far more limited than sticking it in the rewards pool (people will soon fine a 'meta' to farm it) or in the teshin store (players will eventually work out a 'meta' for the faster steel essence gain)... this approach means you can only get it once per planet.

Players still wouldn't be forced into it, umbra is already seen as optional and if it was made 'farmable' in any way the 'hardcore' umbra seekers would farm maps to death for the umbra forma (just look at railjack) and this would cause far more imbalance than a single time reward per planet. 

I'm well aware at how many weapons/frames are in the game versus umbra forma earning rate. Part of the current issue was intermission 2's length and NW3's apparent length. That said, it's a prestigious item that has a substantial power spike to it. Splashing a significant amount of umbra effectively at once devalues it's prestige and worth to players. If I had that many umbra forma, I'd drop an additional 2 on top of the one already in my Baruuk without blinking an eye and would treat it exactly like any other forma. As much as the power creep would be fun, I'd rather prefer treating it like the rare resource that it is.

I personally, would much rather some form of orakin/void/derelict/lua centered event that rewards an Umbra forma that automatically comes around every 2-3 months for 2-4 weeks. Not as rare as the plague star event, but something similar in terms of unique vendor offerings/reputation, with a quest blueprint for purchase that rewards the umbra forma. Initiating the event resets the quest status enabling players to replay the quest from another quest blueprint when it next comes around. That's how I would do it.

10 minutes ago, Kokomala said:

I personally, would much rather some form of orakin/void/derelict/lua centered event that rewards an Umbra forma that automatically comes around every 2-3 months for 2-4 weeks. Not as rare as the plague star event, but something similar in terms of unique vendor offerings/reputation, with a quest blueprint for purchase that rewards the umbra forma. Initiating the event resets the quest status enabling players to replay the quest from another quest blueprint when it next comes around. That's how I would do it.

That to me is forcing players to do something they may not like multiple times.... I can't say I do any of those locations on a regular basis for example and in all honesty the quests of late haven't exactly been 'fun' either..

I know I've been very skeptical about people asking for more REEEEEwards in this mode, but you know what would be a good one? 

After you complete all nodes, you get 1 last emote to show your mastery: the Sun. It's at your back, it has lens flare, and you raise both hands up.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt6v6w6AIv_GDQhR4d7jg

So we can all be... Glossily Incandescent.

2 hours ago, LSG501 said:

This is the thing... I'd enjoy it more if I actually got something worthwhile from it, you know something for my time investment....I still haven't seen a single steel essence or riven sliver (not that that matters, I'm full on rivens without buying more slots) and no body can deny the other rewards are lacklustre (maybe ok for the operator armor but that has it's own issues)

This might just be a matter of perspective and personal background. I have a history with compulsion in my gaming. Whenever I find myself thinking "I would enjoy this more if I got more rewards," that's code for "I'm burnt out, I don't enjoy what I'm doing, I'm trying to convince myself this game is still fun." I did that for years with other MMOs, to the point where I HAVE to be cognizant of it else I spiral into a cycle of compulsion all over again. I don't know - maybe that doesn't apply to you. However, modern Live Services thrive on habit-forming compulsion mechanic, using progression systems to simulate the emotional response of "having fun" long after we've stopped having it.

For all the praise that Warframe gets for "F2P done right," the game tends to largely fall apart once you stop playing for the rewards. I'm in the position of having pretty much everything I want and not buying into "sustainable rewards." Once I start picking my activities based on what I actually like doing, the list turns out to be fairly short. Part of it is the game's somewhat shallow mission structure, part of it is DE's CONTINUAL REFUSAL to give us custom difficulty settings. I would love to play the new Corpus missions against actual Corpus at level 80-ish, but my only reliable access to those is Lich missions, which are only Grineer.

To your point, though - yes, the Steel Path rewards are lacklustre. I'm personally OK with that. It's a very niche game mode, so lacklustre rewards make it that much easier to not feel compelled to play it. And while that might sound counter-intuitive, it's a fact of modern Live Services. Which parts of them you can AVOID playing is equally as important (if not more so) as finding parts you actually enjoy. They're such massive games that trying to play every part of them is going to burn you out.

2 hours ago, LSG501 said:

I'm working my way through it 'slowly' because I just have this feeling that DE might do a 'DE thing' and force something into use with something else later on... we only need to look at the way they stuck certain frames behind little duck for example... not saying they will but as I said earlier, I'd rather do it while it's 'popular', although everyone I've seen so far is literally doing the bare minimum on missions.

That's a fair point. Arbitrations were offered to us as an optional "Hard Mode." They didn't end up so "optional" considering how many really powerful mods they gated... And then Grendel came out gated by Arbitrations anyway. The same might be true of Steel Path, though DE seem to be aiming for "niche content" this time around. And honestly, I'll probably wait until Steel Path loses its popularity before I bother with it. The people playing it right now seem to be just going through the motions because it's a new thing, and any new thing must be done whether we like it or not. It creates a very... Stressful atmosphere that I'd rather not have.

Honestly, both the rewards and difficulty feel underwhelming

Enemies aren't really difficult for min-maxers. Hell, I've been doing it with a 0 forma Protea without using weapons. Enemies can be tanky sometimes, but they aren't a threat

Rewards are just plain awful. Sure, the armor looks great and so do the orbiter decorations, but the rest is just meh. The stance forma is the most useless forma ever, only worth it for dark split-sword and a handful of weapons, and the fact that you get a blueprint makes it even worse. Relic packs are meh. I can get them faster and easier by farming syndicate standing if I ever need random relic (which I don't, because I have tons). 

My wishlist:

• Enemy damage increased. Level upped to +150.
  • Double rewards on everything (credits, resources, affinity, etc.) That way, the Steel path is a viable alternative to some farming locations
  • 1 Steel essence guaranteed (much like arbitrations).
  • Put for sale fully built formas (Standard, Umbra, Stance and Aura), and exilus (both warframe and weapon) adapters, but increase their cost. 
  • Put for sale reactor/catalyst blueprints.
  • Put endo for sale.

13 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

This might just be a matter of perspective and personal background. I have a history with compulsion in my gaming. Whenever I find myself thinking "I would enjoy this more if I got more rewards," that's code for "I'm burnt out, I don't enjoy what I'm doing, I'm trying to convince myself this game is still fun." I did that for years with other MMOs, to the point where I HAVE to be cognizant of it else I spiral into a cycle of compulsion all over again. I don't know - maybe that doesn't apply to you. However, modern Live Services thrive on habit-forming compulsion mechanic, using progression systems to simulate the emotional response of "having fun" long after we've stopped having it.

I used to have a bit of thing similar to you in as much as I felt I 'had to have everything' as quickly as possible (other than from conclave strangely lol) but that was soon broken with successively poor updates.  I value my time investment in something and while it's not much getting 'decent' rewards is a very simple way of 'rewarding' me.

For all the praise that Warframe gets for "F2P done right," the game tends to largely fall apart once you stop playing for the rewards. I'm in the position of having pretty much everything I want and not buying into "sustainable rewards." Once I start picking my activities based on what I actually like doing, the list turns out to be fairly short. Part of it is the game's somewhat shallow mission structure, part of it is DE's CONTINUAL REFUSAL to give us custom difficulty settings. I would love to play the new Corpus missions against actual Corpus at level 80-ish, but my only reliable access to those is Lich missions, which are only Grineer.

To be fair I can understand DE's single setting for SP, while I wouldn't have an issue with higher levels (no xp linked though) I still think DE needs to have 'ranges' so it's not left empty if you get... maybe a slider could be added for custom squads though.

To your point, though - yes, the Steel Path rewards are lacklustre. I'm personally OK with that. It's a very niche game mode, so lacklustre rewards make it that much easier to not feel compelled to play it. And while that might sound counter-intuitive, it's a fact of modern Live Services. Which parts of them you can AVOID playing is equally as important (if not more so) as finding parts you actually enjoy. They're such massive games that trying to play every part of them is going to burn you out.

I don't necessarily agree that this is a niche game mode, yes it's niche in as much as there were players that were after 'harder endless', but from everything I've seen about where DE is in terms of updates etc this might be one of the main updates for the year so DE likely want it to be 'popular' or take a long time to get the rewards etc (hence the stupidly low drop rate of steel essence)....

So far doing either of the missions of Steel Path has been extremely unrewarding. The Steel Essences are insanely rare drop, and the actual fact that you need a massive quantity of them to pick just one reward is absurd.
10k kuva for 15 of these? I literally cleared all Earth nodes and by incredible luck i had 3 to drop, and 2 as main reward for completing a planet, even that i think i had the resource drop chance booster, AND Khora with Pilfering Strangledome, on a top of that, at least 2 eximus platoons to appear.

And then there are Arbitrations, which offers easy 10k kuva for 25 essences, which are not only a drop from the drones, but also rewarded every few minutes of progressing the mission, AND a potential drop from reward table.

TL;DR you seriously must make it WORTH playing. The two passive boosters are good, but it could get WAY better if you made an universal x2 booster for this. That being said: Affinity, credits, Resources, Resource Drop chance, Mod Drop Chance boosters. Also, there are no Steel Path variants of Fissures, Sorties, SO/ESO, Nightmare mode, Liches, Arbitrations, literally nothing special, just standard missions with enemies being bulletsponges, thats literally it.

Excuse me, what the hell is this?

wKmVIOV.jpg

The operator is supposed to be a child! Who thought it a good idea to put giant breast pads on the female version of the suit?! Why not put a giant codpiece on the male one while you're at it? This is typical videogame boob armor, and boob armor has nothing to do with practical armor design and everything to do with titillating a male audience. Which I'm not okay with when the character used for that is a minor. "Yeah, let's just sexualize a minor, nothing wrong with that!"

Phobos - Zeugma, for me at least, going there takes me to a defence, not a survival, and after completing said defence twice, the node is not counted as completed.

On a side note, 85 steel essence for cosmetics alone, at a terrible droprate, for not very interesting rewards. Unfortunate.

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

I don't necessarily agree that this is a niche game mode, yes it's niche in as much as there were players that were after 'harder endless', but from everything I've seen about where DE is in terms of updates etc this might be one of the main updates for the year so DE likely want it to be 'popular' or take a long time to get the rewards etc (hence the stupidly low drop rate of steel essence)....

Take a long time to farm, yes. Definitely, that seems to be the design goal. Popular, though? I'm not sure, and it's certainly no the same thing. DE's announcement post went out of its way to explain that this isn't supposed to be end game, it's not supposed to be for everyone, etc. The game mode itself also doesn't seem to have consumed a lot of development time, beyond UI and mechanical integration. There are no unique mechanics, no unique missions. Likely the most expensive part of that was commissioning Teshin's voice actor to record new lines. To me, the way DE have handled Steel Path both in terms of advertising and in terms of reward structure suggests that they've learned from Arbitrations and so didn't want to push everyone into "super hard mode." Especially given how overboard they went with it, with +100 enemy level and +150% health/armour/shields.

Steel Path is a named update, yes, but it's not a big one. Not as big as Scarlet Spar, not as big as the Deadlock Protocol. I'd call it more along the lines of a Primed Warframe release. That's my impression of it, anyway.

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

To be fair I can understand DE's single setting for SP, while I wouldn't have an issue with higher levels (no xp linked though) I still think DE needs to have 'ranges' so it's not left empty if you get... maybe a slider could be added for custom squads though.

I don't want to go too far off-topic, but it feels like DE just don't want to bother with making a proper matchmaking system. Player-chosen custom enemy levels would mess with their simplistic matchmaking since it would create "extra nodes" and heaven forbid we let players matchmake across a range of nodes or difficulty settings. It took Railjack being practically abandoned before they let us matchmake across an entire Proxima region, and only because Railjack has one mission type.

Difficulty and matchmaking go hand-in-hand. DE need better matchmaking.

14 hours ago, -Damocles- said:

I noticed that the granum crown holders in hard mode are literally impossible to kill. I tried Mesa's peacemakers and everything, the unreasonable nature of completely status immune enemies with 99% damage reduction doesn't make good content. Especially when it's a timed event that you only get 1 minute to deal damage.

Stop lying, a melee weapon with magnetic damage kills them very quickly. Not that you have to kill them in the first place though.

2 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

This might just be a matter of perspective and personal background. I have a history with compulsion in my gaming. Whenever I find myself thinking "I would enjoy this more if I got more rewards," that's code for "I'm burnt out, I don't enjoy what I'm doing, I'm trying to convince myself this game is still fun."

Exactly !!! 

Couldn't have said it better myself 😛

22 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

The game mode itself also doesn't seem to have consumed a lot of development time, beyond UI and mechanical integration. There are no unique mechanics, no unique missions.

Actually theres one Unique Mechanic.... Restore Pads now have a 60 Seconds Cool Down....

Naturally you can imagine how this Universal level Level and Armor Bump has affected some content... specifically Eidolons.... The good news the shield bonus hasnt gotten out of control but the Health Bonus has made Vomvalysts unkillable. Because DE Forgot that Amp Mods/Rivens are not a thing. 

Now heres the thing... it seems like Vomvalysts are suppose to spawn at Level 45 but the Vomvalysts called by The Eidolon itself match its level at 110-140... most likely due to an oversight....

Also.... there's no bounty for it.... so we are forced into recruit chat and boy oh boy literally 7 people last night in my region were down for Steel Eidolons. Even rounding up people for farming Harrow wasnt this bad (2 of them became my clan mates after that).

14 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

Stop lying, a melee weapon with magnetic damage kills them very quickly. Not that you have to kill them in the first place though.

Firstly, the treasurers have 99% damage reduction on their shields, so I don't know what god tier Plague Zaw you're using.

Secondly, I refuse to let ANY treasurer escape with my Zenith Chuck E Cheese Tokens.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)HollowCube987 said:

Firstly, the treasurers have 99% damage reduction on their shields, so I don't know what god tier Plague Zaw you're using.

I recently killed one (on the Steel Path) with a Skiajati, modded for Viral damage. I have experimented with Treasurers during Sorties with modifiers before (similar to the Steel Path), and they were VERY easy to kill with Magnetic damage.

23 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Actually theres one Unique Mechanic.... Restore Pads now have a 60 Seconds Cool Down....

I stand corrected. Actually, I did mean to talk about this in another thread, but this right here? This is a really good change that I wish would propagate to the rest of the game. Warframe's energy system is an absolute joke, but at least putting a cooldown on consumables goes some way towards reigning that in. Of course, I'd probably go with a shorter cooldown in regular play (15-30 seconds) and probably boost the individual effects of Restores to match. But yes - the one new mechanic in Steel Path is actually one I've been asking for for a while now 🙂

1 minute ago, Steel_Rook said:

I stand corrected. Actually, I did mean to talk about this in another thread, but this right here? This is a really good change that I wish would propagate to the rest of the game. Warframe's energy system is an absolute joke, but at least putting a cooldown on consumables goes some way towards reigning that in. Of course, I'd probably go with a shorter cooldown in regular play (15-30 seconds) and probably boost the individual effects of Restores to match. But yes - the one new mechanic in Steel Path is actually one I've been asking for for a while now 🙂

I think:

A) The Cool Down should match the duration of the Restore.

And B) Energy Orbs should drop WAAAAAAY More often....

You know how often you get Energy in Archwing missions ? Yeah.... thats how often Those Should drop especially if its going to a measly 25 Energy per drop.... i mean at 25 Energy you literslly only have access to your first ability once.... Thats  it..... considering how rarely they drop when playing Solo thats the first thing tbat needs to change.

2ndly.... some warframes need to bypass this Restriction just to function in specific content.... in my case its Ivara during Eidolon Hunts.....It literally takes 400 Energy to Destroy each Synovia.... and with how many Synovia just Terry alone has that means im literally screwed before i can break the 3rd one. 

Ivara doesnt have the Health to benefit from Rage/Hunter Adrenaline and I cant use Arcane Energise because i have Arcane Nullifier in that Spot.... so yeah... this Cool Down has to go for Ivara... she literally can not hunt Otherwise.

Now... if you'l excuse me... i have to Reforma my Glaive Prime....

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Lutesque:

You know how often you get Energy in Archwing missions ? Yeah.... thats how often Those Should drop especially if its going to a measly 25 Energy per drop.... i mean at 25 Energy you literslly only have access to your first ability once.... Thats  it..... considering how rarely they drop when playing Solo thats the first thing tbat needs to change.

2ndly.... some warframes need to bypass this Restriction just to function in specific content.... in my case its Ivara during Eidolon Hunts.....It literally takes 400 Energy to Destroy each Synovia.... and with how many Synovia just Terry alone has that means im literally screwed before i can break the 3rd one. 

Ivara doesnt have the Health to benefit from Rage/Hunter Adrenaline and I cant use Arcane Energise because i have Arcane Nullifier in that Spot.... so yeah... this Cool Down has to go for Ivara... she literally can not hunt Otherwise.

So DE should break the energysystem even more, because their are some frames who have a disadventage in some situations? Good luck with that. I will just stay by my zenurik and exodia might combination and life my endless energy lifestile.

40 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

A) The Cool Down should match the duration of the Restore.

I fondly remember playing Inaros and getting 25 health from a Health Orb. The only thing I could think was "How adorable. Thank you. I'll put that towards the 5000 HP I need to recover." The same often feels true for energy. Even basic Flow can put a lot of our Warframes at 300+ energy. At 25 Energy per Orb, you're basically NEVER going to have enough to do pretty much anything without additional energy recovery. Especially given how rare orbs are.

However, that's an entirely separate discussion that already has a thread about it. I shouldn't derail.

5 minutes ago, ES-Flinter said:

So DE should break the energysystem even more, because their are some frames who have a disadventage in some situations? Good luck with that. I will just stay by my zenurik and exodia might combination and life my endless energy lifestile.

Good then.... if you are already getting all the energy you need then this doesnt affect you. 

4 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

However, that's an entirely separate discussion that already has a thread about it. I shouldn't derail.

Really ? Where.... SHOW HIM TO ME !!!!

Not sure if this will be read but to do my part and contribute my feedback:

So, the good - it's a breath of fresh air. Players have been asking for increased difficulty for ages, and it's great. Okay, it's not "difficult" in terms of AI, or choreographed attacks, etc, but the current starchart is so far below power levels there isn't any room for that anyway. The main game mode is just "who can spam their AoE the fastest" and it doesn't leave much room for experimentation. You can, and people do, but it's largely been pointless outside of ESO (very specific), Arbitration, and players with a ton of patience who run endurance missions which the game actively discourages.

This fixes that, and it's great. Jumping in and out of missions experimenting with different builds because everything doesn't just die instantly is fantastic. It's reminiscent of first playing the game before you get everything 'meta' where you're interested in trying different builds, wanting to get mod X, Warframe Y, weapon Z to see what you can do. It's awesome.

Removing energy pad spam and bringing energy economy back as well - also brilliant.

The negative - rewards. I'm sure that's been made clear anyway, but the rewards are limited, and drop rates shown for Steel Essence are abysmal. The problem is from the looks of it you'd have to play for multiple hours to get say e.g. a relic pack. Which you can already acquire passively via Syndicate standing in probably one single defense/survival mission. The same for the Kuva rewards - I haven't examined it in detail but just some brief math and it looks like it would take 6-10 times as long to get the same Kuva as one hour of Kuva survival, or floods and siphons. When things are that incomparable no-one is going to play this mode for the Steel Essence rewards.

The second negative - content island. I for one would love to just "turn on hard mode" and leave it on forever. But as it is most people are likely to run through it once, farm a bit to get the cosmetics, then never look at it again. That's a huge waste of potential.

Some people will say "if you want challenge you can leave the mode on", the problem is Warframe is a rewards based game whether it was intended to be or not. And with that if the challenge is increased, but rewards are not, players will go back to the most efficient way to get the rewards. Doing otherwise is "punishing" your playstyle. You can run with slight inequalities - e.g. Kuva Siphons vs Kuva Disruption vs Kuva Survival. Pick the one you want to play. But if the challenge is increased so much for no real-term increase in rewards then it's a non-choice - e.g. if Kuva Disruption was made 5x harder for no extra Kuva, why would you ever play it?

What could be done, is:

- Increase base mission rewards (at least double) to make sure you're not punished with effectively lower rewards because missions take longer.

- Increase affinity (add a 100% booster?) to open up new avenues for weapon levelling and focus farming.

- Add Void Fissure missions to Steel Path for those who can handle the difficulty, and increase rewards appropriately. Again, here efficiency is key, so if missions take longer or have a higher risk of failure rewards need to increase. Some ideas - allow cracking 2 relics in one run, or allow choosing two rewards per relic, double void traces, etc?

- Allow Kuva Siphon/Flood/Survival/Disruption in hard mode. These are largely time-based as is, so double rewards not appropriate, but maybe +50% for example?

- Roll Lich's into Steel Path. So if you have SP enabled Lich and thrall can just spawn in the regular missions, no Lich mission required. Helps fix the content island issue for both Steel Path and Hard Mode. You can still leave the existing Lich node system in for regular Starchart.

- Increase Steel Essence rewards. Either just increase the drop chance, or e.g. roll it into end of mission drop chance (At a *high* chance, e.g. 20% per mission), or find some other avnue. Then add some more rewards to the store.There is no reason to add crazy things like Umbra Forma, but just some of the regular things e.g. Endo, Forma.. Ephemera? etc.

Again, crazy rewards are not necessary. But if you can bake this better into the main game to make it a true "New Game+" that really replaces the starchart for veterans, that would be amazing and incredibly refreshing.

Or, it can be a content island that gets ignored after we've all ran it once. I would love for that not to be the case🙂

Archived