Am I the only one loving Steel Path?

Are people really that weak?

Even if it doesn't have any rewards I won't switch back to normal mode.. EVER!

I get to use and switch between my min/maxed frames and rivens to its full potential. To be honest I'm having fun with Steel Path. Although new rewards like exclusive mods which they intentionally had in mind would be awesome. Maybe in the future?

• Like 10
Posted (edited)

Most are just going through the 5 stages of grief since the road to hell was paved with great expectations. Will see what they do after a week or two once the numbers are in and feedback is compiled if they can find any in that salt mine that is the feedback thread. Could put Morton out of business.

Edited by Magus_Tahir
  • Like 2

I was going to complete it, but I am not even sure I will after all. Cleared 4 planets so far, and I am bored out of my mind. There is hardly any difference to the regular star chart, the missions are the same, the rewards are the same (nonexistent), enemies are the same as well.

The only difference is that I cannot hack Sentients apart with my CO melee, ignoring their adaptation. Status immune, armored enemies with 90% damage reduction for the win I guess?

• Like 5
Posted (edited)

Warframe used to play like this a few years ago, so there’s definitely going to be enjoyment from some people, me somewhat included. Personally, I find it just as easy as it used to be if I used my optimized builds and weapons, but it’s ultimately as boring as it is underwhelming? DE has a real chance to try out new enemy and mission modifiers to enhance difficulty; but nothing substantial besides armour/health/shields has changed, instead. AI changes could be appreciated too since enemies no longer need to die in 1 hit and you have to be more aware of your surroundings. 

Which is my problem. We’ve only returned to where we came from, and there are no real hurdles once you have the builds for it. There needs to be difficulty that goes beyond a gear check, which is where modifying enemies (e.g. enemy attack speeds, running speeds, vision cone adjustments, light/heavy unit distributions, etc.) and missions (e.g. survival canisters not being invincible, stricter Spy requirements, environmental hazards that encourage parkour, etc.) could help enhance difficulty and introduce skill checks.

Edited by wtrmlnjuc
  • Like 4

All depends on what you play games for.

If you are wanting challenge and bragging rights hard modes your jam.

If you play for stress relief, story, to look cool, and don't care about others opinions hard mode won't give you anything.

In the end the age old question still persists.

What makes you happy?

Till the rewards are better it's not a mode for me.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, wtrmlnjuc said:

Warframe used to play like this a few years ago, so there’s definitely going to be enjoyment from some people, me somewhat included. Personally, I find it just as easy as it used to be if I used my optimized builds and weapons, but it’s ultimately as boring as it is underwhelming? DE has a real chance to try out new enemy and mission modifiers to enhance difficulty; but nothing substantial besides armour/health/shields has changed, instead. AI changes could be appreciated too since enemies no longer need to die in 1 hit and you have to be more aware of your surroundings. 

Which is my problem. We’ve only returned to where we came from, and there are no real hurdles once you have the builds for it. There needs to be difficulty that goes beyond a gear check, which is where modifying enemies (e.g. enemy attack speeds, running speeds, vision cone adjustments, light/heavy unit distributions, etc.) and missions (e.g. survival canisters not being invincible, stricter Spy requirements, environmental hazards that encourage parkour, etc.) could help enhance difficulty and introduce skill checks.

seriously, if the enemies where 50% to 75% faster movind, shooting, etc, would be way harder, even without the EHP buff

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, wtrmlnjuc said:

It feels more like a direct reversal to their armor scaling fix people were clamoring for. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

Well nope you are not i like it so far but i'm not a really good judge at anything ^.^ 

I'm glad someone likes it as well.

5 minutes ago, wtrmlnjuc said:

I fully understand you but this is the best they can do. It's satisfying enough for me but new AI would be great in the future when they have the guts to fully change the AI and gameplay mechanics from scratch.

I also like it, and i dont really care that much about the rewards, im more of an intrinsic kinda guy. Not that objectively the rewards dont need something more worthwhile. Having said that, better AI, more elite enemies with even more increased stats, and actual fun enemy mechanics and interactions should be a bit more common. But now that they are a a bit more sturdy we might get to see them interact more since we cant till them with the press of a single button.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Its not rewarding enough.

Only rewards matter.

Remember, you cant spell "Reward" without "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".

as funny as this is, this quote makes me feel sad for people that dont enjoy the intrinsic value of any given process

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, XaelathRavenstorm said:

I fully understand you but this is the best they can do. It's satisfying enough for me but new AI would be great in the future when they have the guts to fully change the AI and gameplay mechanics from scratch.

I don’t think they need to do a full AI rework at all for added difficulty. That can (and should be) a much bigger step down that line that applies to the whole game, to up the quality of combat in Warframe. I’m talking about adjusting values within existing code, and changing up mission requirements for Steel Path so that difficulty is added in a less purely-gearstat-focused manner. DE needs to ask themselves, “What are we testing players for, exactly?” when it comes to difficulty, down to the minutiae. Right now, all it covers are the tools that we’ve collected, but it asks nothing of us from our skill and it challenges zero existing player expectations. 

Edited by wtrmlnjuc
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I think it's fine. I wanted to be able to jump into a high lvl mission that wasn't an arbi and now we have it. That's all it was meant to be.

DE actually spent quite a bit of effort trying to manage expectations prior to its release, but I think they have two issues:

1. Not everyone follows discussions on the forums, twitter, etc.
  2. How it's presented (when released and in-game) also has the effect of creating certain expectations.

e.g. if they had simply tossed a toggle on one day, e.g. without the extra development time, the whole new starchart progression, the mysticism that Teshin brings to it, etc. and without presenting it as a major update with a fancy name and everything, then expectations would likely be different.

They can get on the forums and manage expectations all they like, but what is most visible to most players is what they're presented with when they log into the game.

Edited by schilds
  • Like 4
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, XaelathRavenstorm said:

Are people really that weak?

Even if it doesn't have any rewards I won't switch back to normal mode.. EVER!

I get to use and switch between my min/maxed frames and rivens to its full potential. To be honest I'm having fun with Steel Path. Although new rewards like exclusive mods which they intentionally had in mind would be awesome. Maybe in the future?

Yes. Now leave me alone since I can’t play it and go play by yourself, show-off. 😏

Oh, and not everyone wants Uber challenging content.  Calling casual players weak?  The flip side of that is that you are an egotistical try-hard.

Neither viewpoint is constructive...or accurate for that matter.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73
  • Like 2

I have enjoyed what I have played so far. I would like if they later added special missions to Steel Path, doing Lich Missions, or Nightmare mode with higher level yet would be fun.

40 minutes ago, AegisSiege said:

I have enjoyed what I have played so far. I would like if they later added special missions to Steel Path, doing Lich Missions, or Nightmare mode with higher level yet would be fun.

Sounds awesome!

Steel Path Sortie would be nice as well.

• Like 1

I like, I really do. It's kinda nice to play through the star chart again and have to pay attention. I just wish there was more to it.

Players have been requesting more challenging content where you don't have to play for so long to encounter high lvl enemies. DE delivered. Only problem is that It's just star chart. Were they playing regular star chart missions for hours on end to reach high lvl enemies? Probably not. They were most likely running fissures and cracking relics at the same time. At least that's what I did. I'd wait until there was a Mot fissure up to test some solo endurance builds.

DE provided the difficulty requested without considering the content the players that were requesting it were already playing. It just seems that with greater risk there should be greater reward. There is not really any reward to running Steel Path besides the challenge. As it stands there will be less rewards for more challenge. I don't think the average player is looking for that. They might entice more people to try hard mode if there was more incentive to do so. I could be wrong though and maybe it's just me though.

I'm still working my way towards Mot and looking forward to taking a few hour pit stop once I reach it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, schilds said:

I think it's fine. I wanted to be able to jump into a high lvl mission that wasn't an arbi and now we have it. That's all it was meant to be.

DE actually spent quite a bit of effort trying to manage expectations prior to its release, but I think they have two issues:

1. Not everyone follows discussions on the forums, twitter, etc.
  2. How it's presented (when released and in-game) also has the effect of creating certain expectations.

e.g. if they had simply tossed a toggle on one day, e.g. without the extra development time, the whole new starchart progression, the mysticism that Teshin brings to it, etc. and without presenting it as a major update with a fancy name and everything, then expectations would likely be different.

They can get on the forums and manage expectations all they like, but what is most visible to most players is what they're presented with when they log into the game.

this isn't a "major update", we still on U28 (deadlock protocol mainline). What was the "extra developmet time"? The test cluster? 

I think DE handled very well the expectations for this mode on every instance where people can read/hear them. In game you have the same info but missing the "this isn't to be supossed endgame and also doesn't have scaling rewards" part that they drop on devstreams, regular streams, reddit, forums and twitter. 

People expectations are mostly high because it seems to be the way of reasoning from a few years (on the media industry like games, movies, tv shows, etc), overhyping for everything and then getting dissapointed because nothing can live up to that stupid overhype. 

You have forum users asking (and "suggesting") for "real hard content", the same forums that have this thread since a few weeks.

There is no excuse for that people.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

There is no excuse for that people.

Clearly their message is not getting across. I think you vastly overestimate the number of people who pay attention to "devstreams, regular streams, reddit, forums and twitter". Yeah, it sounds like a lot when you list it like that, but it's not the number of platforms they put their message out across that counts, it's the number of people who pick up the message.

11 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

this isn't a "major update"

This is not about definitions, it's about perception. To a lot of people, this will look like something significant, their expectations will raise, and then they'll get in an their expectations will not be met.

There is a discussion about evergreen rewards, for example. I personally don't care about the rewards, but other people are looking at 120 starchart missions worth of progress with lvl 500 equivalent enemies and are wondering why the rewards don't match. Heck, even some streamers who have been there for all the expectations management, and know what it's meant to be about, can't help themselves in criticising the mode for what it isn't.

I think given how the mode is now presented (as more than just an option to jump in at a high level) DE are going to have to put in those extra rewards. At the moment the mode is neither here or there in what it wants to be. If it's meant to be just about jumping in at a higher level, the whole thing should be scaled back. Otherwise, they should go the whole way and treat it as a mode that a reasonable number of people might be expected to play regularly. Obviously they can no longer do the former, so I think their only option is to do the latter.

• Like 4