Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Battlepass/Chest

(XBOX)GanGaManz8327

Question

Can you please add battlepass, that way there is a cheaper option to earn skins and stuff like that. Just don't make the battlepass pay to win. Also can you add chests, like battlepass exclusive. For example, when you level up in the battlepass you get a chest that gives you 5 random customization things, such as skins and palettes. Can you please add this. It doesn't make sense to pay for each individual skin for a warframe. Also, if you don't allow that, can you make skins, that you can use on multiple warframes, besides starter packs? Thank you!

17 answers to this question

Anyway, I'm here to say "lootboxes bad" just in case someone in DE would think this is a good idea.

As for lootboxes vs player-to-player trading currency bought with real money... Both can be huge money sinks and encourage grindy game design, but a system like what we have with plat isn't insidiously exploiting someone's gambling instincts, it does more or less the opposite: you pay plat in order to NOT gamble. So, although I have my reservations about the exact details in different games, I still think that it's one of the better options for how a F2P game devs can earn money.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Unstar said:

Hmm, you've convinced me.  The exact place in the chain of events at which the randomness happens is indeed very important.  Because the point of purchase is after the dice roll, that does make it not a loot box.  Thank you for correcting me.

So Rivens aren't loot boxes, as much as they are simply a flavor of pay-to-win.  And while to some people that's a dirty word, as long as the meta isn't built around the enhanced power-level of a pay-to-win item, I don't have any complaints about them.  And in Warframe that doesn't seem to be the case, so Riven away! 🙂

*nods* mhmm. We all know Lootboxes are really bad news, EA started it though a lot of Asian mobile games encourage it with card collectors or Gacha you spend actual money to spin an RNG for: if lucky, a Legendary item (usually SS or similar). I love TERA but its a choice- buy a dragon say that restores HP and Energy for 1,945 plat (as conversion example) orrrr for what seems cheaper 200 plat for a Lootbox that has a 0.5% chance of that same dragon with added crit damage and armour buff added in. Warframe thankfully, doesn't have anything like it and we hope our OP realises just how good a deal that is 😋

5 hours ago, (PS4)Claudija said:

Except Rivens can be earned by the player as does the Kuva to reroll them. If you buy a Riven off a player- that's on you it is not a Lootbox in the regular sense- here five cosmetics, three random mods, 10,000 credits : 200 plat a pop!

Hmm, you've convinced me.  The exact place in the chain of events at which the randomness happens is indeed very important.  Because the point of purchase is after the dice roll, that does make it not a loot box.  Thank you for correcting me.

So Rivens aren't loot boxes, as much as they are simply a flavor of pay-to-win.  And while to some people that's a dirty word, as long as the meta isn't built around the enhanced power-level of a pay-to-win item, I don't have any complaints about them.  And in Warframe that doesn't seem to be the case, so Riven away! 🙂

2 hours ago, (PS4)Unstar said:

Hi OP, I'm going to ignore your specific requests and focus on the heart of your question.

It sounds like you'd like to have the ability to get more stuff by paying less for it, which is a valid desire.  Well luckily, this game has you covered!  Pretty much everything item in the store can be purchased with platinum, and players can trade platinum to other players.  This means that even if the game doesn't explicitly offer you the item you want as a reward for playing the game, you can take the other rewards you get for playing the game (such as mods or prime parts) and trade them to other players for platinum.  Then you can use that platinum to buy things from the market.

In that way, Warframe has one of the most free free-to-play games there is, as you could "buy" almost every item in the market without paying a cent.  In the beginning, as a new player, you might not have a lot that's worth selling, but stick with it and in time you'll have no problem getting those items you'd really like from the market.  Good luck!

I read your response in homer's brain voice. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, (PS4)Unstar said:

You may not have noticed but Rivens are in this game.  And where do you think the platinum that pays for them comes from?

But I would agree with the sentiment no more lootboxes, please. 🙂

Ya dude, I have less then $40 into this game in the 3 years I have played it. I trade for plat. Also, you get rivens as rewards, you grind for the kuva to roll them.

I actually don't have an issue with people who buy plat, or people that dont. I don't mind that DE monetizes stuff, they are a business and need to make money. It's more that I want to know exactly what I am paying for, so I MUCH prefer the way that DE has monitizie things. I'm ok with playing a lot of plat for Tennogen, because the fans that help create it get money from it.

39 minutes ago, (PS4)Unstar said:

You may not have noticed but Rivens are in this game.  And where do you think the platinum that pays for them comes from?

Except Rivens can be earned by the player as does the Kuva to reroll them. If you buy a Riven off a player- that's on you it is not a Lootbox in the regular sense- here five cosmetics, three random mods, 10,000 credits : 200 plat a pop! THAT is a Lootbox not an optional Mod awarded for- completing a Quest for a Frame when you own said-frame or by just you know...taking part in events, Nightwave... paying Simaris Rep Points. 

6 hours ago, (PS4)BlightDragon89 said:

Please for the love of of The Lotus, no lootboxes EVER!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: i've been corrected that Rivens are not lootboxes

Hi OP, I'm going to ignore your specific requests and focus on the heart of your question.

It sounds like you'd like to have the ability to get more stuff by paying less for it, which is a valid desire.  Well luckily, this game has you covered!  Pretty much everything item in the store can be purchased with platinum, and players can trade platinum to other players.  This means that even if the game doesn't explicitly offer you the item you want as a reward for playing the game, you can take the other rewards you get for playing the game (such as mods or prime parts) and trade them to other players for platinum.  Then you can use that platinum to buy things from the market.

In that way, Warframe has one of the most free free-to-play games there is, as you could "buy" almost every item in the market without paying a cent.  In the beginning, as a new player, you might not have a lot that's worth selling, but stick with it and in time you'll have no problem getting those items you'd really like from the market.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, (XB1)GanGaManz8327 said:

Can you please add battlepass, that way there is a cheaper option to earn skins and stuff like that. Just don't make the battlepass pay to win. Also can you add chests, like battlepass exclusive. For example, when you level up in the battlepass you get a chest that gives you 5 random customization things, such as skins and palettes. Can you please add this. It doesn't make sense to pay for each individual skin for a warframe. Also, if you don't allow that, can you make skins, that you can use on multiple warframes, besides starter packs? Thank you!

You do know that Tennogen skins are made by players just like us right? Every time someone uses platinum to purchase one, the user like say Hitsu-san; gets paid in real money. Now your idea would rob them of this. So we only put in DE-made skins like Khora Deluxe you say, except no. If DE put Deluxe skins into these lootboxes you suggest, nobody spends plat on Deluxe Bundles and so DE makes 0 money back. Both are lose-lose situations.

Lootboxes are a form of gambling, as such countries with very strict gambling laws will forbid their use meaning the skins would be removed from a portion of the playerbase... a bad idea.

You see, three nil against your idea going live already.

Archived