Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

NerdyJew-bij
Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

De,

Link: https://www1.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/sehk/2020/0710/2020071000536.pdf

I’ve been playing warframe since middle school and warframe have been a huge part of my life. It’s been there during the good times and it’s been there for me during my darkest moments. Days when I feel like giving up, days when I was so down I don’t even have the energy to go out of my room. Warframe has been there cheering me up pushing me making me look forward to the next day. It has been the light that brings me joy during my darkest moments and a medium for me to hang out with friends. You have built such an amazing universe with awesome lore. So i urge you please DO NOT let tencent acquire de and kill the game. If tencent acquire warframe u would have lost me as a player and im pretty sure a majority of the player base too. This game has been a huge part of my life and im pretty sure its a huge part of many other people as well. So please do not kill your game. De, Thank you for building such an amazing game and i’m confident you will make the right decision to go with sony instead of tencent. Cheers to many more years of playing warframe together. 

Sincerely,

A concerned tenno

ps. Please give us more lore quest im dying to see how the story unfolds 🙂

Go take a look at Path of Exile and come back. It is a dumpster fire, true, but not one of Tencent making. If anything, it's a testament to how little Tencent interferes with game development.

Fun fact, btw. Chinese version of POE has loot-gathering pets. It's locked behind cash-shop, true, but the concept exists and is implemented. Meanwhile, western POE doesn't even entertain the concept of any QoL, payed or not.

4 minutes ago, Serafim_94 said:

Go take a look at Path of Exile and come back. It is a dumpster fire, true, but not one of Tencent making. If anything, it's a testament to how little Tencent interferes with game development.

Fun fact, btw. Chinese version of POE has loot-gathering pets. It's locked behind cash-shop, true, but the concept exists and is implemented. Meanwhile, western POE doesn't even entertain the concept of any QoL, payed or not.

While that’s true to PoE. We don’t know how Tencent will view Warframe and their “plans“ for it. If Warframe flops in microtransaction sales in 1 failed update, they may send men in suits straight into DE’s office.

12 минут назад, DrivaMain сказал:

While that’s true to PoE. We don’t know how Tencent will view Warframe and their “plans“ for it. If Warframe flops in microtransaction sales in 1 failed update, they may send men in suits straight into DE’s office.

From personal experience, my plat purchases are dictated less by updates and more by plat discount availability. DE has us eating from its hand fine and dandy in that regard. Insert obligatory comment on predatory monetization that already exists. We're just used to it.

And, again, POE. If THAT garbage of monetization scheme somehow generates enough money, I'm sure WF will be fine.

18 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Confirmation https://www1.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/sehk/2020/0710/2020071000536.pdf

Welp, fingers crossed on this one. Let’s hope they do not meddle with Warframe’s development.

Not quite yet but the exclusivity deal lasts for, at most, 3 months.

IIRC, that means a letter of intent has been signed and the exclusivity deal gives Tencent the time to really look at what they are buying without having to compete with other potential buyers as well.

So it's not a "done deal"...yet.  But it probably will be provided there are no unforeseen hiccups.  

I will wait and see what comes of it

Warframe china also had their influence and things didn't hold up the test of time, everything was so agressive that players lost interest

If they now have more shares, it's obviously not to make the same mistakes, otherwise they will devalue what they have and this deal ends up being a huge waste of money.

Players will obviously react to changes that displease them, so i'm not to concerned about the future, warframe will get exactly what it deserves, either a praise or a backlash and the numbers will reflect that.

I've been here since update 7 and i enjoy the game, it gave me many good memories, but i will quit if things get to unpleasant and right now we are very far from that situation, to me the game keeps on improving.

Just now, (PS4)Shaun-T-Wilson said:

Isnt that old news?

Old news is Tencent looking to buy them.

More specifically, Tencent is the only bidder left with a claim on Leyou. So unless they drop out then it's all but guarenteed.

Assuming Tencent understands DE is No-Profit for Leyou, then they'll be trying to get them to monetize warframe much more heavily.

League of Legends and Fortnite also operate without interference from Tencent. They are known to be hands-off. 

Also, the deal is not done. Exclusivity agreement means they are negotiating in earnest and no one else is allowed to talk to Leyou, but it can still be called off.

vor 23 Minuten schrieb (PS4)lumen2ne1:

Yes. Maybe not now or in a couple of years, but Tencent always ends up pushing the companies they buy to bring the cash, choking them into practicing predatory and scummy microtransactions to make enough profit grofit.

I mean nothing different there with the actual DE Development "we dont want to increase grind in any circumstances". Remember what we got with the past Updates? 😜

1 minute ago, WhiteMarker said:

People feared Leyou aswell, and what happened? Nothing.

But this time it will be different. I don't have proof, I don't know how. But it will.

It must. It's has. It's may be. It will be a Mayple leaf.

Archived