Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

Read that a company is looking to purchase Warframe and make it private so does this mean that ninjas pay to play now?

Leyou and its controlling shareholder, Charles Yuk, have entered into an exclusivity agreement with Tencent Mobility Limited, a Tencent subsidiary, Leyou said. Tencent Mobility is looking to buy Leyou and take it private.

27 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

No, creative right control makes it a non-issue. It doesnt matter how much the parent company wants something, DE can still say nope if they arent in need of direct funding at the time. You dont really seem to grasp what a holding company does, which is what Tencent in this case will be, just as Leyou is/was.

That's not the issue. You repeated this already. I'll wait for results in two years. I wrote that like five times but you guys keep quoting me. 

Edited by Felsagger
On 2020-07-10 at 9:18 AM, DrivaMain said:

That may be true, but with DE’s creative freedom we have a “fair” monetization scheme that is not pay to win. If they are owned by Tencent? Well we can kiss that goodbye and welcome the predatory pay to win schemes that is mostly present in the majority of mobile games.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but we already have Pay2Win in Warframe. 

A recent example is the Xoris nerf. Xoris is a free weapon that required no monetary investment that was completely gutted for its use with Warframe abilities but Rivens that people spend plenty of money on (that can achieve / supersede the Xoris) haven't been touched.

Edited by 0asu
  • Like 1

@Letter13

Leyou went on to ask DE to create two games.

The Amazing Eternals and Survived By

Both of which have been abandoned and took resources away from Warframe.

Given Tencent has put such a huge bid on Leyou, territorially trying to stop Sony from acquiring it, I think it's same to assume Tencent has some plan in mind for Warframe, so there will be changes. Beyond that I cannot say what those would entail. Furthermore, Tencent has a track record that has many players on edge about the company for its shady side. Leyou is a drop in the bucket compared to Tencent and that's why players are feeling scared of Warframe being acquired. I know it may seem unfounded to you but to many of us in the gaming sphere it comes off as a massive red flag. Please try to keep this in mind before editing other peoples posts to say "Everything is fine."

I'm going to include this video for anyone wanting to look into Tencent, this video was made just 1-2 days before the announcement of Tencent wanting Warframe came about.

Spoiler

oh and if you're wanting to look into the "legitimacy" of this channel. They're normally known for debunking MLM scams and companies that sell snake oil to people on groups like facebook.

Edited by Zahnny
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

@Letter13

Given Tencent has put such a huge bid on Leyou, territorially trying to stop Sony from acquiring it, I think it's same to assume Tencent has some plan in mind for Warframe, so there will be changes. Beyond that I cannot say what those would entail. Furthermore, Tencent has a track record that has many players on edge about the company for its shady side. Leyou is a drop in the bucket compared to Tencent and that's why players are feeling scared of Warframe being acquired. I know it may seem unfounded to you but to many of us in the gaming sphere it comes off as a massive red flag. Please try to keep this in mind before editing other peoples posts to say "Everything is fine."

As far as I'm aware, Amazing Eternals was something DE had wanted to do on their own and not a 'Hey we're your investors, we want you to do this' move by Leyou. Also Survived By wasn't developed by DE, it was developed by Human Head Studios, and DE was assisting them in publishing it; it didn't pull any resources away from Warframe.

This also isn't DE's first rodeo with investors. I would fully expect them to require and maintain full creative control over Warframe just as they had done with Leyou. Considering Warframe is basically their baby, I imagine there would be some pretty big pushback from DE (i.e. resignations/quitting/etc) if their investors tried to pressure them to change the game in a way DE does not want to.

Please try to keep this in mind before making claims like 'Leyou controlled Warframe by pulling resources away from it etc.'

Cheers.

Edited by Letter13

I was a closed beta tester for Keystone/The Amazing Eternals, although I didn't beta test long. I felt like the game wasn't going to work, and decided to go back to Warframe full time.

That being said, at the time I remember not even a glimmer of a rumor claiming that Leyou had anything to do with that. As far as I understood that was a DE passion project from start to finish, it just didn't work out. 

Edited by Tesseract7777
2 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

You are in no position to tell me what to do. 

I'll respond if they quote. Simple. 

He wasn't telling you what to do, he was answering your question. 

You ask a silly question, you get a silly answer lol. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

As far as I'm aware, Amazing Eternals was something DE had wanted to do on their own and not a 'Hey we're your investors, we want you to do this' move by Leyou. Also Survived By wasn't developed by DE, it was developed by Human Head Studios, and DE was assisting them in publishing it; it didn't pull any resources away from Warframe.

This also isn't DE's first rodeo with investors. I would fully expect them to require and maintain full creative control over Warframe just as they had done with Leyou. Considering Warframe is basically their baby, I imagine there would be some pretty big pushback from DE (i.e. resignations/quitting/etc) if their investors tried to pressure them to change the game in a way DE does not want to.

Please try to keep this in mind before making claims like 'Leyou controlled Warframe by pulling resources away from it etc.'

Cheers.

I'm sure DE has a mind of its own. They have a firm vision of what War Frame should be. Up to now the game survived for seven years. I'm sure DE values their independence and their space to produce assets for the game. If any foreign company come up with pressures DE will feel uncomfortable. The Covid 19 is a harsh working restriction for DE. I hope that such situation get resolved soon for the wealth of everybody. The other constraint is the new Console Generation that is about to happen in November or late December. We will probably see development on the game like Railjack 3.0 next year of we are lucky. Rail Jack needs a major tune up. 

Up to now I'm simply skeptic until I see further results and developments on the situation. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

He wasn't telling you what to do, he was answering your question. 

You ask a silly question, you get a silly answer lol. 

You do realize that I was sarcastic right? 

Obviously if people quote me I'm going to respond. If not I'll keep my course. I already said that in two years I'll see the results and then comment over them. 

Edited by Felsagger
28 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

@Letter13

I'm going to include this video for anyone wanting to look into Tencent, this video was made just 1-2 days before the announcement of Tencent wanting Warframe came about.

Reveal hidden contents

oh and if you're wanting to look into the "legitimacy" of this channel. They're normally known for debunking MLM scams and companies that sell snake oil to people on groups like facebook.

Amazing Eternals never took resources from WF, it was funded seperately. It also never went into any deep development, it only reached an alpha state and got cancled due to poor recieval of a similar game from a different company that same year.

As for Survived By, DE had nothing to do with that game, they were the publisher and nothing else, no hands in development etc. The team behind Survived By have had several other issues and made several other questionable choices, such as the disaster that was Rune 2.

1 hour ago, KimikoLastchance said:

sorry my reasoning is simple tencent is pretty much responsible for the "Social credit system" https://qz.com/1049669/chinas-tencent-hkg-0700-is-quietly-testing-a-social-credit-score-based-on-peoples-online-behavior/. it is also well kown for being highly supportive of the CCP https://www.pymnts.com/safety-and-security/2017/wechat-hands-over-user-data-to-chinese-government-amid-privacy-concerns/

so uninstalling warframe it was a good game but i can and and will not directly support a company that helps a genocidal https://www.npr.org/2020/07/04/887239225/china-suppression-of-uighur-minorities-meets-u-n-definition-of-genocide-report-s  Despotic regime keep tabs on it's citizens.

Nobody who operates data servers in China really has a choice in whether or not to give or deny access to them to the Chinese government. And as to the social credit score, no, Alibaba was first, and even that is not exactly their 'fault', as it is one of the CCP's babies. Also, as they already have access to all their citizens'  social media, it really doesn't add anything more to the panopticon that they don't already cover, so it probably actually serves its advertised purpose, namely as the carrot and not the stick.

Yes, the CCP is an oppressive regime. Nobody in their right mind will deny that. Certainly not the Chinese, should you get the chance to talk to them in private.

And a lot of companies do business with Chinese companies, from most of your electronics, software, entertainment, clothing, etc. And all those companies pay their taxes in China and support the CCP if you want to look at it that way. Sadly, part of your money paying for such regimes, be it Chinese, Saoudi Arabia, Russia, or any other nation engaging in questionable practices is all but unavoidable. But they also pay wages to their employees and raise their standard of living, and it is only those citizens who can in the end change their government. No outsiders can do that for them. 

2 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

Rail Jack needs a major tune up. 

How and why when it isnt even finalized yet? RJ needs to be finished, then we can talk about if it needs a tune up or not. You talk about a RJ 3.0 (wtf?) when we dont even have RJ 1.0 yet. 

• Like 1
Just now, SneakyErvin said:

How and why when it isnt even finalized yet? RJ needs to be finished, then we can talk about if it needs a tune up or not. You talk about a RJ 3.0 (wtf?) when we dont even have RJ 1.0 yet. 

Well, Railjack 2.0 revision took place. 

1 minute ago, Felsagger said:

Well, Railjack 2.0 revision took place. 

It cant be a 2.0 when the mode isnt even finished for a 1.0 state even. It is technically not even "beta" yet since it is still not feature complete. So the revision was like uhm alpha 2 or something, progress and foundation for a more functioning 1.0 version when it is ready.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

This is the old store page I think: https://store.steampowered.com/app/606140/Survived_By/

As you can see, it was pulled from the store at the request of the developers (aka canceled). 

Seems like a retro game. Thanks for the info. 

Amazing Eternal doesn't look that bad. I'm interested in it. 

On topic:

Letter13

"Given Tencent has put such a huge bid on Leyou, territorially trying to stop Sony from acquiring it, I think it's same to assume Tencent has some plan in mind for Warframe, so there will be changes."

That's why I'm concerned, those changes. For me Sony was a better choice than Tencent. The cowboy with more money hoard harder. That's how it goes. 

The guy "Better Pending Name"

If DE did fall in this hand of company in comply to be.  I think it would be best idea to "Pitch In Other Gaming Company" if this is going happen, to get the gaming company in right spot we need in fact to pitch in any Europe or western side of the countries so that the game is not effected by only Tencent by other gaming company.  We have to "Pitch In" for other gaming company if we want to "avoid" the game falling into the wrong hand of whatever company for it is better to going other gaming company's forum right about now and see which one will organized and have proper ppl to support warframe by that companies.  I am not entirely sure that Tencent has it in the bag but I can't say they did made horrible games for that I would be lieing but we should get the world marketing to must agreed on not to do on "illegal gambling" that we must agreed on loot boxes are not to be sold in world wide games.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

To the company of Tencent:

Dear Tencent Company,

I have to say to the company to Tencent, warframe is on verge of crashing marketing too but if you able partner without buying full license just encase you guys want bail if the company of DE goes out of control which we had "recent years" bad moments with the game for it is better to get a partnership instead full on "buying".  For it would save your wallet to the company Tencent or other wise well your looking at your pocket going bankrupt because you may had stir the hornet nest and pretty much they want give you lovely stinging potions and pretty much it is better to actually to have temporary partnership just encase the game really crashing downward.

I had noticed ever sense for it is better not put your hand into something that is so chaotic madness the game is really in piles of mess for it been into trouble a lot lately for the game may look nice but inside the work is infatuating of lvl that may put your workers into moment of "confusion" and idol-Ly lost.  By all I mean not try discourage you but worries of your company may go in dept to Canada instead the other way around as to be for by the law of Canada is almost has similar law of over at the U.S.A and not only that you are still under the jury of marketing law for over here and purchasing warframe may developed and probably harsher law if you had add any or loot boxes that may involved gambling for say good bye your wallet of your company.

*editing*

As the time being thinking more likely it is better to send gaming programmers instead of gaming designer for it seem they are always short on staff if your planning really buy the game and hopefully you will trust in the hand of "Steve" to lead the development of the team.

Edited by ChaoticEdge

As the title sound like suggestions but it is if we want to not fall into the hand of corporation that we may not like or "hadn't try to lie" for some had say but as I am saying again if your able pick which gaming companies for warframe/DE to join in for it is better to post those name up right about now or soon and if everyone agreed the gaming company should be in that section then we all must agreed that sending either letters or get chance to "Talk to".  Just suggest the gaming warframe and see will they buy warframe and DE department for if anyone want avoid it it is your chose by now but it seem that no one want give the chance of Tencent how well they do with warframe for I could like you guys to really check their background instead judging the book right away for yes I know it is in "the hand of them" and so on so on.  I don't need hear that complain but get you guys start picking companies what do you think warframe should be under by which company for it can't be the company itself for we all know man created their own fate to do this.

So you are suggesting a campaign to get a different company than Tencent to buy Warframe instead, like a better company? 

The problem is that unless Tencent decides otherwise, I believe that ship has sailed, as they have a temporary exclusivity period to decide if they want to buy. 

Sorry if I misunderstood what you mean though. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KimikoLastchance said:

sorry my reasoning is simple tencent is pretty much responsible for the "Social credit system" https://qz.com/1049669/chinas-tencent-hkg-0700-is-quietly-testing-a-social-credit-score-based-on-peoples-online-behavior/. it is also well kown for being highly supportive of the CCP https://www.pymnts.com/safety-and-security/2017/wechat-hands-over-user-data-to-chinese-government-amid-privacy-concerns/

so uninstalling warframe it was a good game but i can and and will not directly support a company that helps a genocidal https://www.npr.org/2020/07/04/887239225/china-suppression-of-uighur-minorities-meets-u-n-definition-of-genocide-report-s  Despotic regime keep tabs on it's citizens.

DE love your game but i have to sleep at night and i have to keep my data safe.

Agreed. If I can delete my Blizzard account and not look back, I can do the same for Warframe.

• Like 1