Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

NerdyJew-bij
Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

5 hours ago, Angwah said:

A management buyout is not in the cards. Leyou acquired DE back in the day for, what? 150 million USD? I've seen figures between 1,2 and 1,4 billion USD getting quoted for the different offers they are getting now, and WF provides the lion's share of their portfolio's revenue. The current worth of DE is quite beyond the sort of money a collective of employees could possibly raise.

Also, way too late for that to happen. Until the exclusivity runs out, basically boiling down to Tencent saying 'nope, on second thought, not interested', no one else can get to the table.

Completely agree...For Now.

Not a thing can be done during the acquisition phase and certainly not until after the dust of the acquisition has lifted. 

Though, it's entirely possible a few years after Tencent acquires it and if they do slot it under Tencent Mobile, their private company, which is supposedly their goal.

That said, I'll give credit to Tencent in one area:

I don't know how long DE would have remained an autonomous studio under Sony, MS, NCSoft, or even Amazon...But it appears that Studios under Tencent don't appear to be grumbling all that much.

Funcom, for example, had a hellacious bunch of years with AO, AoC, and TSW  but is marking their biggest financial year yet under Tencent and appears excited at the partnership... which is awesome given that they are working on games for the Dune Franchise now.

Tencent has money. DE needs money. and taking them private means that stockholders don't get to whine, kvetch, or moan that it isn't turning an immediate profit.

I don't personally care if they make  a mobile game called  Warframe: Fruit Ninjas (Play Free) game if that helps turn a profit long-term. 

6 hours ago, Angwah said:

Anyway, not too bothered with Tencent. People who think Tencent flushes billions down the toilet for the opportunity to turn brands like Fortnite, LoL, PoE, WoW and the like into spyware, somehow convincing the people in charge of and working for those companies into making themselves liable for lengthy prison terms, well, they should reassess their opinions to phrase it politely. Becoming an even bigger giant in the entertainment business is reason enough, no? There are other and cheaper ways for the CCP to get access to our data, such as simply buying it from Google or Facebook, because we are fine with them making bank with it, for whathever reason.

As for Tencent indirectly supports the CCP, meh, most of us live glass houses, with our own home-grown 'evil' multinationals, and I'll not put my energy into changing another country when there is plenty work to be done in my own.

I both completely agree and am completely baffled by the irony in play as well.

25 minutes ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

What you are doing here is basically washing your hands of the whole affair by saying "well the whole world is full of S#&$e ". It is, but how is that suddenly an excuse to not try and fix it when the opportunity arises. Cleaning up our own backyards is a very slow process and it does not mean we should focus on other issues when we actually can and right now, we can do exactly that. If you just boycott DE, then no not much will change but if you boycott every company that so much has an amicable relationship with Tencent, then you make a change. 

You just effectively lost any sort of credibility by insinuating that this argument about race, when it never has been. It's about the Chinese government, not the actual Chinese people themselves. Don't try and act like criticising a government means you have a hatred for the people it governs over.

Don't assume things about people on the internet that you don't even know mate.

But look what youve done assume things about others

16 minutes ago, Follordark said:

also i would like to say we can't do crap about leyou being bought by tencent  and it won't mean anything since  DE will just have switched investor,and everyone now should just wait and see  instead of coming here screaming random things about the ccp that are completely off-topic,and if you are not happy about how DE has no word to say in this matter,and don't want Warframe to be owned by tencent  because ccp and other non justified reasons then LEAVE ,like stop screaming at the void on the forums and playing this game if you are not happy with this game and its backers.plus go find an other game as certain person on this forums have stopped considering warframe as a game and more like their good friend well to those person I would invite them to take a break and go play something else for a moment(i suggests eve online). if you are still here then W A I T  A N D  S E E

I'm not the one talking about politics. That's a subject for another forum, not this one. 

Looks like you are going to blow up a fuse up there. Let people think whatever they want. 

That will not change the course of history. 

That will not change the destiny for this game. 

That will not change anything. 

So don't worry, mate. 

Hang on...

People have the right to be concerned given some of the things being posted about how Chinese companies handle user's private information and it's unreasonable to assume that they would have read @Loza03's exceptionally good answer on the matter...Which, likely, explains why Letter 13 had to post something at the top of the thread.

Everyone is going to have an opinion and the best anyone can do is try to reasonably address them where possible.

Berating them for their opinions or fears, ultimately, defeats the purpose.

1 hour ago, Felsagger said:

Interesting Follordark's profile doesn't display the year in join date but in every other profile you click the join date shows the Year, month and day. 

hmmm.

That means absolutely nothing...

No listed year means he/she joined this year.

The Game and the Forums are separate in that respect so you can literally have a Founder decide to join the forums tomorrow and it read like that iirc.

il y a 5 minutes, Padre_Akais a dit :

The Game and the Forums are separate in that respect so you can literally have a Founder decide to join the forums tomorrow and it read like that iirc.

Yep. That's how the forums work.

2 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

What you are doing here is basically washing your hands of the whole affair by saying "well the whole world is full of S#&$e ". It is, but how is that suddenly an excuse to not try and fix it when the opportunity arises. Cleaning up our own backyards is a very slow process and it does not mean we should focus on other issues when we actually can and right now, we can do exactly that. If you just boycott DE, then no not much will change but if you boycott every company that so much has an amicable relationship with Tencent, then you make a change. 

No, I'm most certainly not doing that. I just recognize that this goes way beyond Tencent, and singling them out strikes me, personally, as utterly futile. Warframe's current owner also pays a tax on their profit to the CCP for instance, so nothing would change under Tencent. 

Well, actually you would be supporting the CCP slightly less under Tencent as under Leyou, as the largest shareholder of Tencent is Prosus NV, a subsidiary of Naspers. They hold 30,99% of all shares, so that percentage of Tencent's profit flows away from China, to Europe and South-Africa. Of course, dividend is paid out after taxes, so the CCP took its due, but still, it is money that will probably get invested elsewhere. 

Anyway, avoiding money flowing to the Chinese government, or any of the big kids on the block, be they other governments or diversified multinationals, who are using that cash for immoral ends is basically impossible without putting yourself outside of our contemporary society due to how widespread and entangled these bigger companies are with the wider fabric of our global economy. Just looking at Tencent, who is just one player, though one of the biggest being among the top 10 most valuable companies globally, is just mindboggling. You'd have to avoid vast swaths of all games and music, Discord, Reddit, Spotify and a whole lot of your electronic devices, up to and including your PC will likely have some parts in them that are produced by a Tencent sub, not to mention their venture capital subsidiaries who are active everywhere.

Aaaand than we have to talk about all the non-Chinese firms who are active in China, either by way of doing business there directly or at the very least whose supply chain involve Chinese companies. Yup, they also pay taxes there, and hence, by your logic support the CCP. Spoiler alert: this would include almost every business of note on the planet.

In short, you'd be depriving yourself of all power to affect change, not to mention you have the wrong target. Tencent is not the CCP. Tencent is 'just' a multinational doing business, like all the others. As I said before, their largest shareholder is not even Chinese. Welcome to the globalized and messy world, where nothing is clear-cut and black-and-white.

So, yes, I'd say focus on cleaning up our own backyards. There is enough of a mess there anyway for lifetimes of activism.

14 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Rivens are not mandatory, instead it's a "nice to haves". If it is mandatory we can see everyone and their grandmas running rivens in all of their builds and content creators screaming "YOU MUST HAVE A RIVEN ON EVERY WEAPON".

K

When did I mention anything being mandatory? 

I just gave an example of how Pay2Win is already in the game.

7 hours ago, Padre_Akais said:

Yes it does. 

It's an obvious fresh alternate account, but don't worry about that no one will notice it. Crowd control accounts are always a good diversion for some 'end game'. ^^

Anyway carry on with the fun you are having on...

*Plays few more rounds of Titan Fall 2*

Just now, Felsagger said:

Yes it does. 

It's an obvious fresh alternate account, but don't worry about that no one will notice it. Crowd control accounts are always a good diversion for some 'end game'. ^^

Anyway carry on with the fun you are having on...

*Plays few more rounds of Titan Fall 2*

Yes, It all makes sense now...

Because they clearly started an account in January so they could engage in mis-information tactics about the potential acquisition of a video game with you of all people.

GIF by Holmes & Watson

4 hours ago, 0asu said:

K

When did I mention anything being mandatory? 

I just gave an example of how Pay2Win is already in the game.

Pretty much. RNG riven weapons should make an exit leaving this game. But DE is shielded since these cards could be rewarded in sorties or some events. 

Power creeping is one of the issues in the game that trivialize the content. 

12 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

Yes, It all makes sense now...

Because they clearly started an account in January so they could engage in mis-information tactics about the potential acquisition of a video game with you of all people.

You need to work better in your sarcasms and your selections of gifs in order to be 'awesome'. . 

6 hours ago, Angwah said:

So, yes, I'd say focus on cleaning up our own backyards. There is enough of a mess there anyway for lifetimes of activism.

I would not put much attention into political discussions. 

Right now our concerns should be the quality of the game. Right now the game feels like a good insomnia pill for sleeping. I hope that DE makes the game more engaging with new enemies and their new boss provides resources for the development of the game. 

I still prefer Sony over Tencent any day. 

If the sell to Tencent happens I am done... It is like EA Games it just kills titles. I won't drop another penny into this game if Tencent buys... How dumb is Leyou? Well now you see the truth about them. All about shareholders not players... Looks like I will be going to No Man's Sky. 

That is why crap development is taking place because they want to maximize the player base so it looks good to a buying company. This is offensive to me as a gamer and frankly THAT is the companies and studios we have to deal with today. No corporate minded company can make games work. Case in point WOW in 2007 started to decline rapidly and is crap now... Stonehearth eventually acquired by Tencent dead. 

This whole thing is another Maxis vs Ea Games it will end in disaster. Mobile gamers are not gamers they are just cash cows for harvest. 

This quote from Letter13 literally had to be pinned at the top of the thread above.

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculations is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

Well thanks to that thread merger, there goes the paragraph I had written up regarding my genuine concerns and the forums didn't save it. I guess I'll just have to dismiss my feelings the way peoples concerns are being dismissed over a very valid concern for Warframes future.

Just my opinion on the matter, if Tencent were to buy it you can be sure I wouldn't buy platinum ever again in this game, I dropped all Blizzard games for less than that and you know why some of us dropped Blizzard indeed, the current world climate has taught me a lesson and that's to not support a certain group of businesses, their higher ups or their supreme leaders.

If this deal goes through, you can bet alot of players would drop this game in a heartbeat. Because China wants to be the world police I won't mention it by name (Since I don't know what trouble it could cause DE), but with current events that has gone on and how closely tied Tencent is to the Government there, I wouldn't be shocked if Warframe gets banned in many parts of the world. Tiktok is already getting banned due to privacy concerns, Valorant had/has an anti-cheat that was/is system level (Which if you know anything about programming, this is a VERY bad thing), and of course the scummy practices from other games owned in part by Tencent.

If you don't care about your privacy, great. If you're using a machine solely dedicated to Warframe and don't use it for anything else, great. But remember, you may or may not have a choice in the matter when the Government of whatever country you live in steps in and blocks Chinese products and companies. If you want more examples of this, just look up WeChat, which is also in consideration for restriction or straight up banning.

Archived