Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

NerdyJew-bij
Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

10 hours ago, Felsagger said:

This happens when you do not read. 

False. They where not supported from the beginning. 

Initial release date: October 27, 2009
Genre: Multiplayer online battle arena
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, macOS, Classic Mac OS, Macintosh operating systems

Do you see Tencent in all of that? NO. 

2010 1st Game Developers Online Choice Awards Best Online Technology, Visual Arts, Game Design, New Online Game, Audience Award Won [108]
Golden Joystick Awards 2010 Online Game of the Year Won [109]
2011 Golden Joystick Awards 2011 Best Free-to-Play Game Won [110]

Tencent started acquiring Riot games in 2011. 

^

6 hours ago, (XB1)TheWayOfWisdom said:

idk. Tencent was an early investor in LoL

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/riot-games-secures-USD8-million-investment

to quote the first sentence “Riot Games has secured investment of USD 8 million from venture capital firms Benchmark Capital, FirstMark Capital and the Chinese online services company Tencent.“

Article is from September of 2009 btw

This is why people have such a. Disdain for you fels you try to assert what you say as a fact yet don’t do enough research or most topics you try to aggressively shove down people’s throats 

The acquisition of the company began to happen in 2011. And thank you for this proof. WE KNOW NOW that Tencent was in the move to venture into US territory earlier than we expected. A company that is focused on micro transactions was going to grab a full studio. No one gives nothing for free. 

Chinese companies should remain in China and the Asiatic countries, IMO.  

"Tencent is also acting as distribution partner for the game in China, as was announced earlier this year"

1 hour ago, Felsagger said:

The acquisition of the company began to happen in 2011. And thank you for this proof. WE KNOW NOW that Tencent was in the move to venture into US territory earlier than we expected. A company that is focused on micro transactions was going to grab a full studio. No one gives nothing for free. 

Chinese companies should remain in China and the Asiatic countries, IMO.  

"Tencent is also acting as distribution partner for the game in China, as was announced earlier this year"

You do realize most of what you consume across the world is made from China right? 

12 hours ago, Felsagger said:

Irrelevant. 

This proves me that you are not reading the content on the provided links. 

"According to the Tencent Games Website the game will be completely shut down on Febrary 13, 2020. but it won't be able to register as a new user starting November 14, 2019"

Do I need to say more? 

You bring up a chinese exclusive game directly owned by a specific branch of Tencent. WF is a "western" game with an already chinese exlusive handled by Tencent. Also the original Transformers Online lived and died in the span of a year. So if anything one could take it as an example of Tencent really trying to keep life in the game, which during their time lasted for up towards 3 years instead. They actually took a horribly failed game and tried to resurrect it and keep it alive.

You cant bring any examples of actually successful games that have gotten ruined as a direct effect of Tencent getting large parts of the ownership. There are however examples of where things havent changed a bit or possibly improved for the better, like GGG being able to take a massive step with an overhauled PoE in the shape of PoE2, which is in scale practically a new game backwards compatible with the original.

1 hour ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

You do realize most of what you consume across the world is made from China right? 

That's exactly the problem. Almost 80% of things are produced there. Somehow that has to end. Companies should spread production over the globe. 

24 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

You bring up a chinese exclusive game directly owned by a specific branch of Tencent. WF is a "western" game with an already chinese exlusive handled by Tencent. Also the original Transformers Online lived and died in the span of a year. So if anything one could take it as an example of Tencent really trying to keep life in the game, which during their time lasted for up towards 3 years instead. They actually took a horribly failed game and tried to resurrect it and keep it alive.

You cant bring any examples of actually successful games that have gotten ruined as a direct effect of Tencent getting large parts of the ownership. There are however examples of where things havent changed a bit or possibly improved for the better, like GGG being able to take a massive step with an overhauled PoE in the shape of PoE2, which is in scale practically a new game backwards compatible with the original.

Changing goalposts again. 

18 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

That's exactly the problem. Almost 80% of things are produced there. Somehow that has to end. Companies should spread production over the globe. 

That’s capitalism... something you openly support unless it’s China? Man this is hilarious.

Anyways. The article presented shows tencent was backing riot from the start soo....

22 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

Changing goalposts again. 

Nope. Since that is what we actually discussed to begin with. Not only that but we were talking about the western market aswell. Go back and read what has been said previously.

All you managed to present is a failed game that never made it off the ground and then using it as an example of something Tencent ruined? How can they ruin something anyways that has been dead for 5 years prior to them picking it up and giving it life support for around 3 years?

Heck you even said the chinese gaming market (or well asian to be exact) is completely different from the west, then you go and use a chinese game as an example to support claims regarding western games? A game that Tencent has done more for than the original company could, after 5 years of being dead.

2 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Nope. Since that is what we actually discussed to begin with. Not only that but we were talking about the western market aswell. Go back and read what has been said previously.

All you managed to present is a failed game that never made it off the ground and then using it as an example of something Tencent ruined? How can they ruin something anyways that has been dead for 5 years prior to them picking it up and giving it life support for around 3 years?

Heck you even said the chinese gaming market (or well asian to be exact) is completely different from the west, then you go and use a chinese game as an example to support claims regarding western games? A game that Tencent has done more for than the original company could, after 5 years of being dead.

He’s here to argue with little backing to his claims let’s just actually ignore the poor lad an continue on with our lives 

39 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Yes, you are. I gave an example of a game that was closed by Tencent. 

Sorry but I'm going to continue farming Inaros. 

34 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

He’s here to argue with little backing to his claims let’s just actually ignore the poor lad an continue on with our lives 

The irony is that you continue dabbing here doing the opposite. Go play some WarFrame. Farm Inaros. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

I think that is likely the best solution since he's just so far out of it. Atleast someone's lawn will be neat in the end.

I am just curious if anyone has any insight with regards to what is going on with Hong Kong. I dont want to delve to much into controversy at this point, but this of course does raise a number of questions, in particularly for Digital extremes since it's owned by Leyou. Since no one is talking about it, I thought I would bring it up.

I know DE can't stop the sale at all given they sold themselves to Leyou long ago. But the number of days that go by without DE even talking about it is deeply concerning to me and it'll only grow. I figured if they didn't say anything on monday they won't say anything this week or even for the rest of july. If they say nothing about it during Tennocon I think it'll be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. 

3 hours ago, Fire2box said:

I know DE can't stop the sale at all given they sold themselves to Leyou long ago. But the number of days that go by without DE even talking about it is deeply concerning to me and it'll only grow. I figured if they didn't say anything on monday they won't say anything this week or even for the rest of july. If they say nothing about it during Tennocon I think it'll be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. 

Why should they? It’s not our business.

1 minute ago, (PS4)UltraKardas said:

Kinda is.

If Tencent owns Warframe, its "Under new management." Something like that should have the courtesy to announce.

Inclined to agree with this, honestly. A standard has been set that it's reasonable for us to expect some kind of communication regarding major events of this nature.

I find myself waffling a lot about all this, in case that wasn't already obvious.

I've been around this game since spring of '13, and enjoyed it on and off in various ways over the years. My first impulse when hearing about many of the more concerning developments (from my own perspective ofc) has historically been to step away from the game for a while and check back in some time down the road.

A Tencent acquisition would unfortunately be different for me. I can't make peace with being around this game if something like that were to happen. There would be no coming back for me; I just wouldn't feel good about myself if I did. It's one of those points where inner peace has to take priority.

That having been said, it also feels a little lame not to at least stay in orbit until a final decision is reached one way or the other. Having looked in on this game since the early days, I suppose it's only right that I be around until my personal point of no return has truly arrived.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)UltraKardas said:

Kinda is.

If Tencent owns Warframe, its "Under new management." Something like that should have the courtesy to announce.

Are we shareholders and Tennocon is General meeting? No. Just because DE is so transparent and customers friendly doesn’t automatically means that we should know about single step they will make, especially when we know 💩 about the contracts and how negotiations goes. You made a deal and I will constantly blame You for that, while I don’t how it looks like, how You will like it?

4 hours ago, Fire2box said:

They can't talk about it yet because the sale isn't final yet. They are legally bound to silence until Tencent makes the purchase. If Tencent holds out the entire three months, then DE can't talk about it for three months. So don't expect DE to talk about it this week or next. Until Tencent and Leyou announce that the buyout is happening, DE won't be saying anything on the matter. You need to have realistic expectations.

11 minutes ago, Fire2box said:

Why shouldn't they? 

Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile) did an entire post when they sold themselves to Tencent. 

And to cap it off. DE did the very same thing when they sold themselves to Leyou. https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/2014/10/partnership-announced

After negotiations were successful and the contracts were made, so in September maybe.

Archived