Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

NerdyJew-bij
Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

3 minutes ago, MarrikBroom said:

I am looking for something simple and to the point. A gurentee of our data's security and no new lootbox shenanigans.

There is no guarantee, either way.

It's been discussed multiple times that Tencents management side is more hands-off and less microtransaction-aggressive than its development side, but at the end of the day they're still a giant corporation, so there will almost certainly be a push to greater financial profits. That's just business, at the end of the day, despite how bad that winds up for the product usually.

On the data side of things, once again, there is Canadian data protection law, which DE has to abide by and overrides Tencent's will, which to my limited expertise in that field, seems to state that whatever data is collected has to be for a legitimate and identifiable reason, and have meaningful consent (which might be that they have to specifically ask you about that data collection - hopefully they covered squirreling it away in the terms and conditions?) - i.e. they cannot just collect personal data passively, they have to give a reason, make sure that reason is clearly identifiable. This covers, according to this website:

• age, name, ID numbers, income, ethnic origin, or blood type;
  • opinions, evaluations, comments, social status, or disciplinary actions; and
  • employee files, credit records, loan records, medical records, existence of a dispute between a consumer and a merchant, intentions (for example, to acquire goods or services, or change jobs).

Let's hope that Rebecca will communicate this buyout issue with the warframe community. Like will Digital Extremes maintain creative independence, or the bad side, more microtransactions? Hope that this is not the end of warframe.

13 minutes ago, ken6212 said:

Let's hope that Rebecca will communicate this buyout issue with the warframe community. Like will Digital Extremes maintain creative independence, or the bad side, more microtransactions? Hope that this is not the end of warframe.

She can't, legally. Unless I'm mistaken, that was part of the exclusivity agreement signed between Leyou and Tencent, that no shareholder or employee can discuss the deal.

I think it's important to remember that the people impacted hardest and closest to home by this are DE themselves. So let's take a moment to open our hearts and show empathy to the DE staff who would be first and foremost affected by this while having very little control over how it plays out. Probably their best strategic bet, assuming they act ethically and with moral imperative, would be to wait and see if anything actually happens, then should Tencent come to own them, make a bid for independence. Failing that, a mutiny for independence and failing that, a walkout to (ideally) form a new company and go independent. I want to voice my support for the DE staff, and let them know that whatever happens, unless they decide to support Tencent, I'm here with them and I encourage everyone else to be, too. I for one would look forward to seeing what they could do even via independent fundraising, crowdfunding, and I'd be eager to get whatever the new Excalibur Prime would be. It would be with a VERY heavy heart that I would bid farewell to the thousands of hours, many friends and adventures I've had in Warframe thus far. But, my morals and safety take precedent, and still nothing might end up coming of it. Waiting is always the hardest part, most so for DE staff who may end up forced into a moral quandary that's exacerbated by the difficulties 2020 has even thus far posed.

Prepare your options now. Steel your hearts and bolster your resolve. But for now, keep your hopes high and make sure your support and love is heard.

2 hours ago, (PS4)KodevEx said:

The second they are bought by TenCent I'm out. No game had a future with them.

Yeah, after some thought this is pretty much my stance now. This deal goes through and I'm out. I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone. Far from it, actually. Tencent is everything wrong with the gaming industry rolled into one company.

2 hours ago, OniDax said:

She can't, legally. Unless I'm mistaken, that was part of the exclusivity agreement signed between Leyou and Tencent, that no shareholder or employee can discuss the deal.

Yeah, you are absolutely right.

Yeah, this whole thing is gonna be one giant can of worms for everyone. On one hand, I do not support Tencent and their actions and I honestly can't wait for the CCP's downfall (which will happen sooner rather than later at the rate they keep pissing everyone off); on the other hand, if I boycotted everything that certain companies either owned or had stakes in just to make a political statement, I would have nothing. If I boycotted everything Tencent, I wouldn't be able to read things on Reddit, chat with people on Discord, or listen to music on Spotify because Tencent has stakes in all of those.

14 hours ago, OniDax said:

So, what do you think they mean by "suffered" if it's not about profit? We're talking about business here. If Leyou believes Warframe suffered, then that means financially.

http://leyoutech.com.hk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2019-Annual-Report.pdf

This is Leyou's Annual Report for 2019. Leyou lost money by the end of 2019. A majority of forum goers and being among the 10 most profitable Steam games years ago does not mean Warframe was profitable last year. Having 40k+ players on Steam doesn't make Warframe profitable.

Let me make it clear for you: Leyou lost $20 million last year in gross profit.

I'm sorry to break bad news to you, but Warframe was not successful last year, and that is the reason Leyou is looking for a buyout. Don't think Tencent won't want to make changes.

Your actually not wrong, warframe on steams concurrent playerbase is around 40k right? well at the beginning of last year and the year before their concurrent playerbase was in the 100k's on average. remember this is the amount of players on at the same time, during this period for roughly half the steam player base stopped playing. though this is only for steam, and considering xbone and ps4 don't have data on them we wont know, though judging from a lot of people, warframe is less popular on xbone and ps4, again no real numbers for them

5 hours ago, Fire2box said:

With Epic Games Tencent only owns like 10% stake in it. Not nearly enough to make any changes or see user information, unlike Tencent's full ownership of Grinding Gear Games. 

Plus with their investment in reddit they can glem a lot more of personal lives, not that they need to own part of reddit to gain ablity to do that. 

https://variety.com/2020/biz/asia/tencent-games-company-acquisitions-1234624022/

Most agree that Tencent's 40% total stake of Epic Games (they bought at the time 48% of all stocks somehow giving 40% of total ownership) gives them substantial influence over Epic Games, though Tom Sweeny himself disagrees. Sony seemingly in prep for this deal had thrown down 250 million on Epic games buying a 1.5% stake in the house that Unreal built; officially part of a strategic investment. Tencent could use their investment in Reddit, but also Discord for one in addition to their immense hold in the mobile and advertising sectors; particularly in mainland China.

Honestly, the best way to check out why 2019 was a down year is to compare 2019's patches (starting with the 24.2.7 and ending with 27.0.8) to 2018's (starting with 22.8.2 and ending with 24.2.6) and 2020's (starting with 27.0.9 and ending at whatever patch drops a week before Christmas)

You guys realize Warframe is already owned by a Chinese company, right? Going to uninstall Discord and Spotify? Never visit reddit? Or play any other game they have stakes in? Anyway, as long as the data-servers are not in China or a place without adequate legal protection it can't be touched. This trumpian fever-dream of declaring all Chinese-owned software and hardware as spyware makes little to no sense.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/10/tech/us-china-global-tech-war-intl-hnk/index.html

Tencent is a multinational, a sprawling giant, so they are by definition not angels. But they a ways to go before they can join the exalted ranks of the greatest villains, such as Monsanto, Nestle, Coca Cola, Chiquita, Amazon, Facebook, Google and the list goes on and on.

Honestly looking at it from a business perspective, this game has some mobile game features that could be pushed even harder for more profit, Tencent will either
(A.) Leave the game alone, as it is already profitable enough to keep the investors happy with the shares they own. 

(B.) Run it into the ground and milk it as far as they can and dump.

(C.) Urge DE to keep increasing the grind and add more micro transactions and more cosmetic stuff monthly to keep milking it.

It would not surprise me given how I watched league and other games spiral out of control and start adding more mtx and increasing prices.

6 hours ago, OniDax said:

Well looks like i have no reason to come back to warframe then. Knowing what tencent acts and behaves like i have no interest in a game that have anything to do with them. Predatory business like tencent should be thrown in the dumpster. Rather see sony buy them up beacusr atleast sony is trustworthy

21 hours ago, (PS4)lumen2ne1 said:

The game that started to have mobile-like predatory practices? skins from hundreds of dollars worth of lootboxes? the game that went from having full events with different and exclusive game modes to just event passes completing missions during normal games? the game that ended up monetizing the achievement system? the game that admitted to cater to the popular and best selling champions? Tencent doesn't interfere in the game development, but it sure does seem to interfere in their companies monetization.

How are you sure tencent is doing such rather then the devs in terms of league the devs have pretty much almost Always been like this 

8 minutes ago, Follordark said:

this tread in a nutshell: *insert Karen esque screaming* Tencent is china and china is evil because reasons and America is the holy defender of humanity because reasons and I am not willing to accept change because I am too narrow-minded to try new things or/and that I don't understand that DE is a company not your friends their staff are just doing their job and Tencent buying leyou is just business.and if that happens I am essential going to hold my breath(quitting the game) utlil things change like a 5yr cause reasons

how I predict this tread will go next: boys lets all quit the game even thought i understand (or don't) that me quitting the game will  have no effect on a megacorp like Tencent because i still believe that DE is our good friend since rebecca 

Something like that + reeeeeee

31 minutes ago, Follordark said:

this tread in a nutshell: *insert Karen esque screaming* Tencent is china and china is evil because reasons and America is the holy defender of humanity because reasons and I am not willing to accept change because I am too narrow-minded to try new things or/and that I don't understand that DE is a company not your friends their staff are just doing their job and Tencent buying leyou is just business.and if that happens I am essential going to hold my breath(quitting the game) utlil things change like a 5yr cause reasons

how I predict this tread will go next: boys lets all quit the game even thought i understand (or don't) that me quitting the game will  have no effect on a megacorp like Tencent because i still believe that DE is our good friend since rebecca 

china sucks, america sucks, using tencent backdoor to hack into chinese govt servers and shut off their power supply

Archived