Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent on the hunt to buy Warframe? (Deal not confirmed/final)

NerdyJew-bij
Message added by Letter13

Please remember to keep discussion civil. No, this isn't the end of Warframe. The same sort of over-sensationalized prophesying happened 4+ years ago when Leyou (formerly Sumpo) bought shares in DE; people said it'd turn into 'all-lootboxes' and 'pay-to-win' and that DE 'would have zero control' and guess what? All bupkis.

Speculation is fine, as long as you're cognizant of the difference between opinions and facts, and as long as you're not spreading misinformation (intentionally or not). If you feel so strongly about this that want to leave the game, that's your prerogative (and loss) and is also fine.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

I don’t dance actually 

You should. 

....keep dancing....^^

If one game bites the dust, another will substitute it, so nothing was lost....C:

Edit: Ehum, having a nice dose of spying and Trojan horses in US soil may get things a bit more, you know,....,interesting....,

The plot thickens...

12 hours ago, Cizre said:

I'd give anyone a shot, EXCEPT for tencent and any other chinese company, As they are REQUIRED BY LAW to spy on you.

Lets take a look at PoE: with the tencent aquisition, they updated their EULA (easily found on their steam store page) where points 22 to 33 (of 44, a full 1/4 of the entire EULA) is dedicated to data collection.

Point 29-30 explicitly notifies you that it will share any and all personal information collected  to its related companies and to comply with all legal requirements and processes. (gee, I wonder who they mean?)

I consent to paying for a video game, not a trojan horse spyware that is profiting one of the most abhorrent governments in current existence.

(and yes, I do boycott all such games, anywhere that tencent has majority share as well as epic (I dont trust them either)).

So, if this sale goes through and tencent owns it, I'll drop it, forever (with sadness). Sony, otoh, I would see how it goes. I know that this decision is out of DE's hands, but I feel that people should look to the data collection aspect rather than just "will they or will they not break the gameplay".

*Say it louder*

7 hours ago, RaethFennec said:

I think it's important to remember that the people impacted hardest and closest to home by this are DE themselves. So let's take a moment to open our hearts and show empathy to the DE staff who would be first and foremost affected by this while having very little control over how it plays out. Probably their best strategic bet, assuming they act ethically and with moral imperative, would be to wait and see if anything actually happens, then should Tencent come to own them, make a bid for independence. Failing that, a mutiny for independence and failing that, a walkout to (ideally) form a new company and go independent. I want to voice my support for the DE staff, and let them know that whatever happens, unless they decide to support Tencent, I'm here with them and I encourage everyone else to be, too. I for one would look forward to seeing what they could do even via independent fundraising, crowdfunding, and I'd be eager to get whatever the new Excalibur Prime would be. It would be with a VERY heavy heart that I would bid farewell to the thousands of hours, many friends and adventures I've had in Warframe thus far. But, my morals and safety take precedent, and still nothing might end up coming of it. Waiting is always the hardest part, most so for DE staff who may end up forced into a moral quandary that's exacerbated by the difficulties 2020 has even thus far posed.

Prepare your options now. Steel your hearts and bolster your resolve. But for now, keep your hopes high and make sure your support and love is heard.

Agree with you 100%. 

I'm concerned for DE themselves and their future. This can literally dig a hole to the company itself. Desperate times makes people take desperate measures. DE is in a tight situation that can literally put an end to the Studio. DE is one of the few developers that attended the community with a fair degree of success. They influenced the market for the better. Seeing them in this situation saddens me a lot. 

My support goes for DE 100%. They are in the middle of the perfect storm. 

2 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

Tencent would have just made a Warframe rip-off. There is 0 reason for them to buy a game studio for a game that can't make it through the China's game censorship.

There's a Chinese version of Warframe...

11 minutes ago, Follordark said:

c'mon Warframe will be fine it will just be better since DE has had no pressure to actually make good content with tencent they will now with a corporate on their heel pressuring them to make content the quality will just be better as they will have incentive

ROFL,....

DE, good luck. You will need it. 

*watches how DE employees begins to migrate*

That reminds me BioWare and EA.....

12 minutes ago, Follordark said:

c'mon Warframe will be fine it will just be better since DE has had no pressure to actually make good content with tencent they will now with a corporate on their heel pressuring them to make content the quality will just be better as they will have incentive

I doubt Tencent will pressure DE to make higher quality content. They'll just pressure DE to add more microtransactions.

il y a 1 minute, Specter42 a dit :

The reason i play warframe is because it is awsome and not from chinese game devs. This is the most heartbreaking news for me beside the human malware news, guess i have to search for replacement

Game developers are still the same tho, not under Chinese game devs. Tencent bought Warframe China edition from DE to develop the Chinese version of warframe, which is separate to the global build. Currently, ChinaFrame is stuck at fortuna part 1.

This is a change on the investor effectively. Previously, it was Leyou since 2016 (I think?), who is also Chinese, mate.

5 minutes ago, Specter42 said:

The reason i play warframe is because it is awsome and not from chinese game devs. This is the most heartbreaking news for me beside the human malware news, guess i have to search for replacement

Er... the devs are still Canadian.

20 minutes ago, Specter42 said:

Edit:

There are many of us that are concerned with the future of War Frame. Things are going to change but we are afraid of what this will mean for us as clients. If the whole thing becomes a sea of macro and micro transactions many people will migrate towards other games. 

15 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

Game developers are still the same tho, not under Chinese game devs. Tencent bought Warframe China edition from DE to develop the Chinese version of warframe, which is separate to the global build. Currently, ChinaFrame is stuck at fortuna part 1.

This is a change on the investor effectively. Previously, it was Leyou since 2016 (I think?), who is also Chinese, mate.

Tencent is not a saint of its devotion. That is why many of us are concerned with this. 

Those worried about Tencent (or any other company) getting involved should just do a little bit of research regarding "creative right". Since DE's creative rights are intact as per the contract with Leyou, all decisions regarding the product that is WF is in the hands of DE and DE alone. This does not apply to the product that is ChinaFrame, since DE have made a seperate contract regarding that according to copyright and creative right laws.

DE has the absolute last say in anything regarding WF and how it is allowed to be used or regarding how it will advance. The only thing a parent company seems to be able to do in this case is simply say "no" when DE pitches an idea incase they are in need of funding/investors for the project. At which point DE can either accept the input from the parent, or seek outside investors to keep the idea intact, though having to provide parts of their income return to the parent company eitherway, while also returning the investment to the investor as per contract.

19 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

This is a concern to all of us. The Trojan Horses, espionage and the dispersion of our personal information towards other entities is a deal breaker for anyone instantly. 

People puts 1,500 to 2,000 dollars in their rigs and lots of efforts in their projects just to get spied and exposed by foreign entities? I think this will not help War Frame on the long run, IMO.

Wont happen since that would be classified as high treason very likely since DE would allow a foreign power access to spy on canadian citizens for starters. Lowest classification would probably be "crime against national security" or something similar. Not to mention the PR cluster#*!% for Canada as a whole if one of their companies got caught making it available for the chinese to spy on the citizens of other nations aswell. We are talking millions of people here that would be spied on.

9 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Those worried about Tencent (or any other company) getting involved should just do a little bit of research regarding "creative right". Since DE's creative rights are intact as per the contract with Leyou, all decisions regarding the product that is WF is in the hands of DE and DE alone. This does not apply to the product that is ChinaFrame, since DE have made a seperate contract regarding that according to copyright and creative right laws.

DE has the absolute last say in anything regarding WF and how it is allowed to be used or regarding how it will advance. The only thing a parent company seems to be able to do in this case is simply say "no" when DE pitches an idea incase they are in need of funding/investors for the project. At which point DE can either accept the input from the parent, or seek outside investors to keep the idea intact, though having to provide parts of their income return to the parent company eitherway, while also returning the investment to the investor as per contract.

We are aware of that. There are other serious concerns that could be a deal breaker for many. 

Archived