Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Resources 2.0?

Lumireaver

qCmjB0B.png

With this topic I aim to propose a means to streamline resource-based progression, particularly so that new players have an easier time growing into the game. To that end, I’ve tried to make resources more liquid in a way, without making them act like re-skinned credits.

Additionally, I’d like to propose a more intuitive and engaging way to actively farm resources. A way which might suit clever scavenger-like space ninjas a bit more than just killing things and catching the magic cylinders which pop out.

To start with, certain craftings would allow players to swap out resources for better/worse resources of the same type. Using an inferior resource results in more waste, but otherwise has no penalty. (IE: A player can opt to use 1000 Salvage instead of 100 Ferrite, or 10 Alloy Plates.)* This helps to prevent a single resource from being stockpiled too high. It also helps to spread resource farming throughout the Solar System as players would no longer need to travel to a specific planet for a specific resource. (Instead they could choose any suitable looking mission. IE: "Oh, this ship is on a Corpus Ship. I bet they have lots of metals and circuits.")

*Fake numbers.

(Obviously certain resources wouldn't be replaceable. That said, DE could, for example introduce Orokin re-skinned version of Control Modules so that we don't have to scratch our heads over why Corpus tech is so commonplace in the void. The Orokin versions could be swapped out for the Corpus version in crafting.)

More resources could be added to fill in gaps. (IE: Nano Spores could be split into common Nano Spores, and superior “Malignant Spores,” or something along those lines.) The more common variation could become scarcer and scarcer as players progress throughout the Solar System. Higher leveled players would be finding more effective/efficient resources. (This makes crafting cheap weapons easier for higher ranked players, and gives DE more flexibility with weapon price balance as later weapons could require larger sums of the superior resource. Naturally, if DE wants to keep the weapon locked away from newer players it could just use a rarer, harder to find late-planet exclusive resource.)

On farming resources: In addition to the current schema, where enemies/lockers/crates have a chance of dropping loot, each resource would have it’s own intuitive acquisition method. Resources like Circuits and Polymer Bundles could be farmed bashing destructible computer consoles, and metals through shipping containers and other map elements. Cargo bays could be added with multi-layer, complex hacking puzzles where success is rewarded with extra resources. (And failure is punished with a permanent lock down of the cargo bay. Suddenly a reason to equip Intruder.) Infested wall scum could be destroyed for resource bundles. (Overall the idea is to rewards exploration in the same way that vaults do.)

This is a push away from system-based loot tables, but it also allows DE to add Infested resources to Mercury. (See: Lares.) ...Which is a good thing I guess.

tl;dr I'm crazy.

Edited by Lumireaver

I don't think we should reward exploration. 

A) Both the corrupted vaults and the thankfully removed no-map nightmare mode have led me to the conclusion that exploring in a game created of tilesets is very, very boring.  It's just not fun at all.

B) The corrupted vaults also made it real clear that nothing splits a team up faster then having to look for some hidden dohickey somewhere in the middle of 50 rooms that you've all seen 100 times before.  Kind of kills co-op, and that's when everybody was there for the exact same reason.  Last thing we need is people running off to play Dora when there's a mission objective to get done.

I don't think we should reward exploration. 

A) Both the corrupted vaults and the thankfully removed no-map nightmare mode have led me to the conclusion that exploring in a game created of tilesets is very, very boring.  It's just not fun at all.

B) The corrupted vaults also made it real clear that nothing splits a team up faster then having to look for some hidden dohickey somewhere in the middle of 50 rooms that you've all seen 100 times before.  Kind of kills co-op, and that's when everybody was there for the exact same reason.  Last thing we need is people running off to play Dora when there's a mission objective to get done.

I don't think we should reward exploration to the detriment of streamlined gameplay.

No-map Nightmare Mode was a pretty horrific experience. The vaults in the Derelict on the other hand tend to be on the way to extraction. You don't have to split up to find them in most cases as they seem to spawn on the way to the objective anyway. Level generation is random, for sure, but it's still intelligently designed and I'm pretty sure DE can tell the level generator not to spawn things fifty rooms off the beaten path.

I don't think we should reward exploration to the detriment of streamlined gameplay.

No-map Nightmare Mode was a pretty horrific experience. The vaults in the Derelict on the other hand tend to be on the way to extraction. You don't have to split up to find them in most cases as they seem to spawn on the way to the objective anyway. Level generation is random, for sure, but it's still intelligently designed and I'm pretty sure DE can tell the level generator not to spawn things fifty rooms off the beaten path.

Actually that happened once.