Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Story Rework when?

Kefirno

As events and quests have piled up, story became kind of a mess.
When I first saw Teshin in Kuva Fortress quest I had no idea who the hell this is. Was there some event officially introducing him or it's expected that players visit him in s relay first?
Players' first introduction to Alad is supposed to be LONG before he got into "partnership" with the sentient, but there are amalgams all over reworked Gas City.
Then Alad becomes infested and... Suddenly he's uninfested because we were farming a cure for him in event, so quest storyline suddenly skips to cured Alad and his business with Edgy Lotus.
Frohd Bek is another example. I missed all events where he was featured so I saw him in Archwing quest for the first time and thuoght "oh, new Corpus character, cool". And then a couple years later I just nuke his ship with hacked Ambulas.
Oh, and Nightwave. Imagine being a new player who starts playing on Season 5 (assuming next intermission isn't going to last until heat death of the universe), opening Nightwave tab for the first time and being greeted by a whole 2 hours long anthology of lore dumps (mostly irrelevant to main story). WHOA. Who the hell thought that putting so much story into a TIME-LIMITED BATTLE PASS is a good idea?

The "real-time" story development was fine back in the days when story was mostly unfolding during events and most of characters were assassination bosses and were featured regularly in the game. I think DE should chill out with moving story forward with new updates for a while and focus on filling the holes left by past events. Like corpus ships rework was a good opportunity but no, let's introduce another new character to never mention again (I'm still mad about wasting Grineer Queens) and have even more Nef Anyo.

Also, speaking about events, why are they barely a thing anymore? Events were pretty good at maintaining characters' presence in the story even if they don't move the main plot forward.

Yeah, I kinda agree. The story is quite all over the place, and makes sense only if you piece things together which, lets be honest, connecting puzzle pieces to understand what the heck is going on ain't really immersive.

I played through most of the star chart 'blind' and to be honest it was very hard to piece together the narrative and keep track of the story and events.

I had to read the wiki chronological story to have it make sense and fill the many gaps.

But... This I find is what warframe is: the wiki is an extension of the game and your tutorial, much as it's a concern to rely on an unnoficial source.  Warframe provides almost nothing in terms of in-game tutorials or direction.  Plenty of hard lessons...

Yeah....They totally forgot to prepare a proper Story progression. 

People, who have not yet Cured Alad V, Should not have access to Amalgam Enemies, Disruption and Level Secrets (amalgam rooms).

DE totally can do that, coz one node can have many variants active, all with different enemies.

2 hours ago, Kainosh said:

Yeah....They totally forgot to prepare a proper Story progression. 

It does not help they are quite literally using 2, maybe even 3 forms of story types, if you count the abandoned version.

1. Sequential for the ones that are typically quest required which fall under the meh ones like the first mandatory quest, the second dream, the war within and so on. Which typically lead into some conflicting issues especially when similar elements are present in the quests that fall into category 2. Where loads of it could of easily been resolved to have alternative lines of changes in those quests if you already completed certain quest.
  2. The so-called standalone quests which typically lead into giving more answers on certain things but are typically setup as if you never done any of the other quests, but fails to recognize in later quests which should be related (such as certain corpus based quests), Usually lead into the b.s. of forgetting certain factions in certain groups like corpus based or grineer based ones. Usually tossed up as a fancy bit of story fluff that leads to getting the warframe blue print an introducing you to a so-called new game mode or element which usually turns out to be easy do it and forget it exist things, such as silver grove specters, defection, infested salvage and that one juggernaut variant you have to bash for atlas parts. Which then you get cases like the Harrow quest and the recent protea quest which leads into some rather b.s.ery conflictions on story elements, when it should be perfectly plausible they would get referenced in the main story or vice-versa, depending on clear order to put some proper connection consistency into the entire thing.
  3. With finally the last one that many forgot, the so-called early days of tactical operation story telling, which i assume was for promoting invasion content and would lead into different story scenarios depending on which was the more popular one. Shame i was never around for those, but i believe this would of been the more interesting of the bunch cause it meant the player base had actual control on how the story went and had way more engagement then what current content is for story, just a ride on a fixed rail-way where regardless of what you do, what input you are allowed to say, nothing of it leads to any effect on what happens period. 
2 hours ago, Kainosh said:

People, who have not yet Cured Alad V, Should not have access to Amalgam Enemies, Disruption and Level Secrets (amalgam rooms).

DE totally can do that, coz one node can have many variants active, all with different enemies.

Which honestly does not help d.e. effectively revamped an entire planet to be centered around Alad V`s amalgam elements. Its kind of why they should definitely make pre-story revamps that are required for particular junctions again which would be semi-short tales with some nice progressional rewards again, such as a quick jaunt thru the whole alad V getting infected and us curing him.

There is a good reason why i feel that game companies who do what is known as MEMORIAL type quests in a vague terminology, where newer players get to live out older content, in a more condensed state, that has been put in a modernized style, to help introduce people to certain things. Heck heres a few things that would benefit from this:

• Have a memorial quest which would be required for one early junction which would introduce players to Stalker and would be a version you would have to run away from, to help put the pressure he is a difficult foe, just like how he was in his early days and even to this day, he can be a rather annoying foe to handle, outside of those ready to straight up drop a nuke on him.
  • Have a memorial quest which would be required for a junction to gain access to the void, which would introduce players to Corrupted Vor, where you would have to fight him off while trying to finish a spy quest, aka him appearing in rooms before the spy room to attack you and would get you familiar on said foe coming to run interference while doing void missions.
  • And of course, a memorial quest that would lead to the post normal Alad V situation, where he i infected and then eventually cured. But is sadly got that certain issue with certain boss nodes being on entirely different planets which could lead to some frustration elements that would likely not be required to perform to unlock certain junctions.

Well just a fine example of on how they could tidy up the story. Especially if they can give a proper TIMELINE CHART, on where certain quests would land under in terms of overall time progression in the game`s story itself from the beginning of your warframe awakening to the latest `main story quest`.

Thing is the game never used to have a story back in the day, so after a few years of haphazardly retroactively trying to make us care about characters in it just made it even harder to work out whats supposed to be happening. That said theres hecc all story about whats actually presently happening. Its all about things that happened like 1000 years ago. That sort of storytelling is fine.. If you give reasons as to who what and why we're fighting the people we do. Sadly though the warframe lore in game is so full of holes and scarce that any plot explanation added just raises more questions and conflicts more with current snippets of fact in game

Archived