Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Pluto be updated to reflect the 2015 New Horizons visuals of Pluto?

Zahnny

Pluto's visual in Warframe has remained the same since launch I believe, so 2013 I'd wager.

New Horizons had its flyby of Pluto in 2015, some games like I think Elite Dangerous even redesigned Pluto completely as a result.

It's been 5 years since then and I'm here wondering, will Pluto ever recieve an update to reflect the visuals/model of the New Horizons mission? As prior to this, all conceptual art of Pluto was just that, conceptual as we have no real photos of it beforehand.

Comparing this that we currently have

450?cb=20161016195904

to this

pluto-natural-color-20150714-1580931706.

Specifically the "Heart of Pluto" as the first photo was called.

I understand there's the whole "Orokin terraformed planets so this is what Pluto looks like in the future" but I think the real Pluto looks more beautiful.

It'd also serve as a good excuse to give Pluto an amazing space skybox remaster like Venus has. While also fitting with Deadlock since several Pluto tiles use the Corpus Ship tileset.

This is the same game that still every now and then makes me shake my head for putting Gas City on Jupiter instead of Uranus, the latter of which was bafflingly given Grineer Sealab instead of Europa, and putting Grineer Shipyard on Ceres, which in real life is 50% water ice. Scientific authenticity is not one of Warframe's strengths, to put it charitably.

38 minutes ago, BahamutKaiser said:

WTF how is that not a planet? It's perfectly spherical, what, does it have too many neighbors? 

Essentially, yeah. According to the 2006 IAU designation that created the "dwarf planet" definition, bodies like Pluto and Ceres can't be called true planets because they share their orbital "neighbourhoods" with other bodies.

They might do that down the line. I'm pretty sure they'd need an incentive to redo that corpus outpost tileset, since that is strewn across quite a few planets. It's not that difficult to do though, making them compatible with the location of the planets its used on without doing a separate set for every location. All they need to do, beside the remaster itself, is have multiple skyboxes, and two or three differently lit versions. Like the day/night versions of earth, the outposts on pluto could be lit almost as if it was night, while the ones on venus would obviously be pretty bright.

As if DE cares about consistency and factual accuracy.

This is unlikely.

Reminds me of that one manga where the hero hit the villain with jupiter (i cant remember the name) as if it was one hunk of solid rock.

Followed by a small comic strip explaining how he was an arts major not an astronomer to have known that jupiter was a gas giant.... Yeah , many people stopped reading after that.

Especially in a world where venus is frozen (irrespective of the lore , as the lore came much much later than the tileset) pictorial differences are not going to be a priority.

as they can easily explain it away by saying "Orokin terraforming made it look different"

35 minutes ago, (PS4)jaggerwanderer said:

Something has been bugging me fora  while now. The Orokin are actually very technologically advance being able to terraform other celestrial bodies. Why haven't they create their own unique celestrial body with the materials around the Sol System?

They never fully terraformed anything because the second the machines were abandoned, most planets went into chaos. They originally sent the sentients to Tau to prep it for colonization. Orokin were running out of viable resources in the Origin system, likely why places like Lua shattered coming out of the void, it was mined hollow. Corpus don't have the exotic materials necessary to keep the Old Orokin machinery running correctly. Old War had further drained resources. And the end war bio tech has been either too complex, or only stable enough for only short term usage. So everyone has turned to lower tiers of power generation and manufacturing.

Then DE say, hey the corpus rebuilt their whole fleet into canon... 😕 instead of, hey game update, pretend it was always like this. So 🤷‍♂️

But anyway, scientific consensus is its far easier to terraform than to make your own planet. by a lot. And they barely stabilized Mars.

1 minute ago, BahamutKaiser said:

These Orokin should go blast all the debris away from Pluto to restore its Planethood!

Well it's less the debris around Pluto, and more that Pluto's orbital path isn't clear.

1 hour ago, Firetempest said:

likely why places like Lua shattered coming out of the void, it was mined hollow

Lua wasn't shattered coming out of the Void; it was shattered during the Old War. When you first see it during the Second Dream, in the Void, it's already shattered, and in the Erra quest, the cinematic that takes place during the Old War shows Lua shattered.

As for your assertion that the Orokin mined Lua hollow… why would they do that? I'm no astronomer, but I'm pretty sure that the Moon, unlike other terrestrial bodies in the solar system, has much the same composition as the Earth. After all, it was likely formed from material ejected from Earth by a collision. So what would they be mining out of the Moon that they couldn't get elsewhere?

16 hours ago, BahamutKaiser said:

WTF how is that not a planet? It's perfectly spherical, what, does it have too many neighbors? 

Ok so here's why this whole debacle happened in the first place:

Before 2006, "planet" didn't have a definition. They just called every round thing in space either a star, planet, or moon depending on what orbited what

Then in 2005 they discovered Eris, and needed to decide if it was a planet or asteroid. But when they opened up their dictionary they realized there was no definition for planet.

Thus, they made one. They wrote up a new definition of planet. They didn't notice Pluto didn't make the cut until it was too late

6 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Ok so here's why this whole debacle happened in the first place:

Before 2006, "planet" didn't have a definition. They just called every round thing in space either a star, planet, or moon depending on what orbited what

Then in 2005 they discovered Eris, and needed to decide if it was a planet or asteroid. But when they opened up their dictionary they realized there was no definition for planet.

Thus, they made one. They wrote up a new definition of planet. They didn't notice Pluto didn't make the cut until it was too late

IIRC Pluto is currently classified as a "dwarf planet".

I don't think it's on the cards to change it's appearance on the map, but it would be more beneficial to everyone to update the Corpus Outpost tileset; the buildings and layouts are still the old style, when they should be more in line with Orb Vallis and Jupiter's aesthetics. wouldn't mind seeing some actual harsh weather conditions as well: Blizzards, Avalanches etc.

11 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

Lua wasn't shattered coming out of the Void; it was shattered during the Old War. When you first see it during the Second Dream, in the Void, it's already shattered, and in the Erra quest, the cinematic that takes place during the Old War shows Lua shattered.

As for your assertion that the Orokin mined Lua hollow… why would they do that? I'm no astronomer, but I'm pretty sure that the Moon, unlike other terrestrial bodies in the solar system, has much the same composition as the Earth. After all, it was likely formed from material ejected from Earth by a collision. So what would they be mining out of the Moon that they couldn't get elsewhere?

It may have not specifically been Orokin. Could have been been thoroughly mined for thousands of years before "the empire". It will more than likely be humankind's first shipyard and launch point to all places within the system. Close to home, low gravity, raw materials.

25 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

No, I think he's right: Lua was shattered by mining it bare. I am pretty sure it was shattered long before the Old War as you claim, since all the towers and such surrounding it are all Orokin civic engineering

As for what's on the moon? Well some science fiction puts plutonium and tritium there. I don't think that's realistic, but I'd accepting after what DE already did to tellurium

24 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

IIRC Pluto is currently classified as a "dwarf planet".

I don't think it's on the cards to change it's appearance on the map, but it would be more beneficial to everyone to update the Corpus Outpost tileset; the buildings and layouts are still the old style, when they should be more in line with Orb Vallis and Jupiter's aesthetics. wouldn't mind seeing some actual harsh weather conditions as well: Blizzards, Avalanches etc.

Depending on if DE want to take a terraformed fantasy take, or a more realistic approach, New Horizons did much more than just simply photograph it. There's a lot of data they gathered on Pluto which could probably be used to determine how Pluto could be in game if DE wanted to go down that route, there's tons of infomation if they desire a more realistic approach.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/one-year-later-new-horizons-top-10-discoveries-at-pluto

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/main/index.html

Here's some stuff to get started if anyone wants to look into them. Contrary to popular belief, NASA isn't some "highly secretive" organisation. Its website houses an immense amount of infomation that you can easily access and as far as when I was keeping track of Pluto during the New Horizon flyby, for a good year or two before the big day, and sometime after they were very open about much of the findings on Pluto.

Archived