Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Realization After 2 Months Of Inactivity - Wall Of Text

pdxdubin

I took a break, to hopefully 

"Beat the Burnout"

And I don't know if anyone else has.

I put AsurO, and most of my clan mates, the community and everything in the dark. Because warframe was consuming me, and I was not having a fun time playing it.

And now when I look back on it, and after playing other games I realized what warframes problem is.

And I don't really know how to describe it well. But it feels too much like a sand box game.

Let me explain.

DE your game is great, to pass the time. To relieve some stress and to shoot some stuff up.

Sure that is one of the most amazing sides of warframe.

And that will be your greatest strength.

But at the same time. You have no depth, There is no plot, No Solid story.

Nothing scripted, nothing thought out.  

Ever aspect of warframe is only 10 minutes long. And we need to be engaged for something longer then that.

I mean this game needs meaning. We need to find a connection to so something, something that we can feel more in tune with.

The warframes, the weapons, the environments and enemies are all stale. They lack life.  They have no soul you can say.

And this is not something you can just pick up on while playing.  You need to take a step back and see what its missing.

You need to put your soul into this game.  

Because quite honestly playing warframe is nothing more then pointlessly shooting enemies in some randomly generated sand box game.

Think about creating a map on far-cry and running around shooting nps's that you put in.

Its basically the same thing.

Now before I take another leave of absence, In hope that this game gets better. I will give you my consensus. 

Stop building around warframe.

Stop building around the half &#! structure that you have, and build something out of it.

You are using the same mechanics, the same engine. the same everything, and you are just working around it, Releasing regular updates to keep players engaged.

That is not fun, that is just lazy, and its keeping players hooked for all of the wrong reasons.

You need to design the entire experience, or make it a true sand box.  You are in the middle and this game is without direction.

The last thing I will say.

After leaving this game for a few months. 

do you know what I took from it? What it left with me?

Do you know what type of impact warframe has left on me?

nothing. 

After leaving, The only thing I took with me was let down and regret.

A wasted time, and a wasted dream.

There are many games. That I played YEARS ago.

That still impact me with my experiences.

Sure the clan was fun, but that had nothing to do with DE, that was the community.

And this community is awesome and they deserve something better to mend upon.

On the positive side.  You are an excellent team, and what you do well. You do GREAT.

And it is so polished and fun, that I had a great time while I played.

I just need something more.  This game can keep a monkey entertained for a few months.  But after that, No.

There is a difference between good games. and Great games.

And For DE to think that they are not capable of becoming great, while sitting on such a solid foundation is disgusting. 

I have never seen a game with so much potential. and I feel like you are just throwing it away.

You need to wake up, and take a step forward.

Make changes, even if you have to destroy a little to make room for it.

Do not be afraid to take this game to the next level.

This community will support you, But you need to show us that you care.

See you in another month or so

- Brice 

69362__safe_animated_octavia_reaction+im
I feel like you made a good point there. Give the devs a bit more credit though, they're working on the damage system which is an improvement that is meant to help Warframe as a whole. Story is planned in the near future as well, we already have the intro in-game, the base is there and it is getting builded onto.

I feel like you made a good point there. Give the devs a bit more credit though, they're working on the damage system which is an improvement that is meant to help Warframe as a whole. Story is planned in the near future as well, we already have the intro in-game, the base is there and it is getting builded onto.

the current implementations are just sliding around the inherent issues.

Sure those things are nice and all, But they need to be properly integrated into the game.  Not just added on.

They need to think hard about where they want warframe to be.

With the map generation and customization, sure warframe would be a good sandbox.

but at the same time they are trying to add structure without having any foundation to support it.

They cant have both, and if they are trying to do that, then its not working.

LEADER!I though I´d never see you again!

Uhm...since you aint gonna be here for a while,you mind giving your title to someone else?

Currently Redragon is taking my place.

Although there is really no need for leadership at the moment, As we managed all the negative players. 

Any updates / dojo things will be taken care of, I will even do it myself If I have too.  I won't completely abandon you guys after everything you have been through. 

The biggest turn off for me has been DE becoming pretty shady over the past month. I think that they do have a great foundation that can easily be made into something that's meaningful but I don't like the direction it's heading.

They also put the game onto some asian developer.

I really don't like that.  Although maybe they have some plans for pvp who knows. 

That intro came months ago. Damage rewrite? Started work months ago. J3 Golem becoming Lephantis? Teased in March, showed up about a month ago. I know development takes time, but DE seems to take a very long time to fulfill their promises.

If you want my honest opinion? When Warframe went into Closed beta, it should have still been considered Alpha, and what is Open Beta should be Closed Beta, because generally in an Open Beta there is light at the end of the tunnel of a complete product. An Open Beta is supposed to be the last stretch of just working out the kinks and bugs before launch. What we have now has no outlook of a launch, no light at the end of the tunnel. We haven't even entered the tunnel yet. Warframe isn't ready to be presented to the world like it has been, and it certainly isn't ready for the PS4.

Pdxdubin: I couldn't agree more. We have been telling DE they need a foundation of story to capitalize on their mechanics, and yet it is STILL being put off to squeeze extra content in. DE needs less gun designers and more writers. Not to say the gunsmiths aren't doing an AMAZING job, but the overall focus is in the wrong place.

I agree with many points. esp the part about the "designing the experience". Basically, stuff that enhances the experience and make it more memorable are "good". this that breaks it are "bad". The memorable ones are usually the Great Lasting Adventure Movie/memory on one end, or the Sandbox of Creative Freedom on the other.  Warframe is currently still in the middle ground of what I'll consider the "amusement park ride": you get a rush out of the short ride, and walk away with possible souvenirs, then the ride resets. After you went through the same ride for the 500th time... well, I guess some people do, just to get that super-rare collectible plushie that guests have a chance of getting after each ride.

But on the other hand, I can guess at some of the difficulties the staff are having... We can talk all idealistic stuff here, but THEY have to deal with REALITY. As a person who has experienced with actual IT industry, I can only imagine the crap they have to face from many directions, while at the same time pressured by the "users" of the game.

Still, I think the game as came a long way. One possible reason why there seems to be more dissatisfied people is not really that the game did not improve. (it did. a lot). it is just that people's expectations also grew. Ironic that it could be because more people enjoyed the game more that creates more dissatisfaction.

Edited by smithf

Soooooo .....you want a lot of cutscenes?

To be specific, No.

At the very least, there needs to be some structured linear path that people can follow. 

The planet system is basically just throw up.

To be honest there are like 50 maps that are all literally the same thing.

We could have just one planet and the game would be basically the same thing.

They need to scrap that or do something new, 

Actually design some dungeons, or levels from the ground up, and script in events.

Just letting levels generate and spawn enemy's everywhere is getting redundant. 

It is still, fundamentally the core of this game that needs to be fixed.

This is not something that can be fixed with some ingenious idea Mak.

The future of warframe lies in the hands of DE, and its up to them, how they will go about proceeding. 

Simply.

We have too many weapons, too many of the same enemies, too many of the same planets, too many of the same warframes.

it is quite literally a randomized sand box experience with no depth.

The mastery system is not even thought out well.

I as well as the community have already gone into details about the specifics of what needs to be fixed.

I think DE needs to take a break, and just stop development for a month or so.

So they can get some new perspective of where this game is going. 

Our sempai resurfaces only to disappear again. Good read though and very valid points. 

I'm sorry guys.

I want you to know that I put weeks of my time into the community I created, into our website and our clan.

I never wanted to give it up, but I just cant keep fooling myself into playing a game that I don't have fun with.

If things pick up, I will surely come back, and I won't just take over I will earn my place or just become a part of the community.

I lost the right to lead asuro a while ago, But I still believe in warframe.

Anyways,

I am out.

I hope this thread makes some type of beneficial impact somehow.

Be back again to check in later. 

To be specific, No.

At the very least, there needs to be some structured linear path that people can follow. 

Actually design some dungeons, or levels from the ground up, and script in events.

This is not something that can be fixed with some ingenious idea Mak.

The future of warframe lies in the hands of DE, and its up to them, how they will go about proceeding. 

Simply.

We have too many weapons, too many of the same enemies, too many of the same planets, too many of the same warframes.

I as well as the community have already gone into details about the specifics of what needs to be fixed.

Can't exactly stop now with the ps4 around the corner. As for the change you're looking for sounds almost impossible to reach this late into development. You'd have to start from scratch, probably change the game completely.

wow i agree to this so perfectly. It's a great game but perfectly said it feels too sandboxy. Think borderlands 2 for example. Its very sandboxy but there's a very cohesive story mission. Im not saying warframe needs a story mission. But perhaps future modes can be more than just get in defend this for 10 minutes get out. 

Perhaps like an "Assault on Trigust" (A large capital ship somewhere) where its literally several parts long with multiple complex stages that involve sections of intense parkouring, intense firefight and with a boss fight to top it all off. A system not unlike a single zone in borderlands 2 where is a nice progression all contained into one bite size zone. Basically missions that are designed for a longer session such as 40 minutes of solid intense action with a really good item reward at the end.

To recap, there's enough sandbox in the game we need content that brings it together. Perhaps in the future a large tenno city ship that DE can host and can house hundreds of players per instance. A place that you can just feel part of the game universe. Basically like santuary in Borderlands 2. Even though theres only NPC when im in santuary away from all the conflict and killing i feel at home and part of the universe. Clan ships don't quite capture that feeling because they dont feel alive enough. No npc and every room is a box. 

The frustration is the immense potential of this game but it not quite being there yet. We need more scripted content to bring value and cohesion to the sandbox nature of the game. I'm too excited what DE has planned for the future. 

Edited by ForumSmurf

I'm sorry guys.

I want you to know that I put weeks of my time into the community I created, into our website and our clan.

I never wanted to give it up, but I just cant keep fooling myself into playing a game that I don't have fun with.

If things pick up, I will surely come back, and I won't just take over I will earn my place or just become a part of the community.

I lost the right to lead asuro a while ago, But I still believe in warframe.

Anyways,

I am out.

I hope this thread makes some type of beneficial impact somehow.

Be back again to check in later. 

I meant it jokingly but your reply shows you really did care about Warframe and the clan you built. You are right in stepping away from something you no longer enjoy. I too hope that the game becomes more substantial in the future. As it is now, it's just grinding. Fun grinding but it's still grinding. 

Hope to see you again. 

I agree with many points. esp the part about the "designing the experience". Basically, stuff that enhances the experience and make it more memorable are "good". this that breaks it are "bad". The memorable ones are usually the Great Lasting Adventure Movie/memory on one end, or the Sandbox of Creative Freedom on the other.  Warframe is currently still in the middle ground of what I'll consider the "amusement park ride": you get a rush out of the short ride, and walk away with possible souvenirs, then the ride resets. After you went through the same ride for the 500th time... well, I guess some people do, just to get that super-rare collectible plushie that guests have a chance of getting after each ride.

But on the other hand, I can guess at some of the difficulties the staff are having... We can talk all idealistic stuff here, but THEY have to deal with REALITY. As a person who has experienced with actual IT industry, I can only imagine the crap they have to face from many directions, while at the same time pressured by the "users" of the game.

Still, I think the game as came a long way. One possible reason why there seems to be more dissatisfied people is not really that the game did not improve. (it did. a lot). it is just that people's expectations also grew. Ironic that it could be because more people enjoyed the game more that creates more dissatisfaction.

I do enjoy the game, But I just need something to Hook me into it.  The only hook it has going for it, is content updates, and the illusive idea of collecting everything and becoming stronger.

I read what you said and I agree with you.

But if you want to talk about what is literal, and the reality of this issue.

It falls into the creative mind behind DE.

Sure they are good at creating a polished game, and polishing everything down to the wire.

But whoever is behind warframe, I don't believe they are that 

"Genius" that made Bioshock or anything like that.  Dark sector was even a great game, and they could easily delve into that.

The core of these issues come down to creative genius.  

There is a reason people like Kojima, Create masterpieces, and the people behind dark souls or final fantasy create great games.

it was because they have a vision, and it is.  In fact an art, and many people do not regard that, or consider it.  But it is very important, and even if you don't see it.  It will impact you as you play.

I want to be able to feel the passion, and the soul.  The intent of the developer as I play.

Warframe feels too much like some test ground for a game we will never get to play. 

It only takes that one mind, to lay out the path, and to set the theme, and the pace.

Not just to throw in "cool things" and "cool weapons" every now and then.

Steve, and all you guys.  Its cool sure, and its fun.

but you are not making any jumps in this genre. 

You look at this game as a "Project" 

and that's fine.

but I would like you to think of it as your masterpiece.  

I have been doing my trade, my art for 5 years.

Almost every day, I have worked to get myself where I want to be.

Its not easy, and its tough.  But you cant just be in it for the money, you have to be inspired.

Can't exactly stop now with the ps4 around the corner. As for the change you're looking for sounds almost impossible to reach this late into development. You'd have to start from scratch, probably change the game completely.

Passively. 

That is exactly what I meant. 

Whether or not DE has the balls to take a step back, and rethink this game. To unlock its true potential.  

Is up to them.

Or they can sit on what they have to turn a profit.

But if they do that, 

Don't expect to see them working on this game 1-2 years from now, Because It will die.

You need to make the big changes now, while you can, and take the hit.

its the hard truth, and its up to you to make the decision. 

Unfortunately, given the push that the ps4 is going to be.... I can only imagine the pressure they're under to deliver on what is essentially a ps4 release exclusive.

I would imagine that's a level of pressure few small dev houses have to deal with.

This shouldn't be taken as an excuse, but as a rabid fan of this game... I can't agree more with the sentiments expressed in this thread.

Focus, is what this game lacks. Give us a sense of scale and progression. RNG can't make up for that.

To be specific, No.

I dont think they are going to drop what they have and turn everything into scripted and set levels.

That would make the game be tremendously huge, huge like MMOs that are at least 20 gigs.

Maybe what they could do is have an introductory level per planet/moon that gives us a bit of the story for the planet/moon, what we see in the planet/moon description, and then have the boss level be all scripted too. Since now you have guaranteed drops those stages have become a true mad dash to the the end.

Simply.

A loot game will always have weapons, that will never stop.

I think there's enough variety of enemies here, i dont see it being on the lower end compared to other games of this type. Yes, the number of different stages are small but im sure they will continue to add more and more, like i have been saying recently, in January we just had the Corpus ship, the game is not that old.

As for too many of the same Warframes i blame on the players, anything that doesnt follow the center path causes all this ruckus because they play differently.

I think you are asking or looking for a game this isnt going to be any time soon.

They are still building and we dont know for sure how much or in what way they will go. So saying to stop and just rebuild from the ground up is a bit too soon when the trip isn't that far in.

Let's just keep throwing out ideas and see if this ends up heading in a direction that you may like.