Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn, Nuclear Catalyst

Malora_Sidewinder

I've been using Saryn recently, and I've found that shes actually insanely powerful with one specific build and in tandem with a nova.

Both frames with maxed focus and blind rage. nova primes... saryn then ignites the supernova.

Even at the highest levels i've played at this combo is still devastating. HOWEVER! because of the large cost of necessary mods, I've had to polarize her twice-both times removing an ability slot for a V.

Most of you may think it's dumb to do that, but the fact that it adds 2 mod points to equip a non ability there is pretty backbreaking for me. I don't use contagion or venom, ever. molt is okay, but for this build i equip shade to go invisible if i need to take a small break and regroup, which isn't a luxury that molt can offer... plus shade requires me not spend energy to cloak.

The mods i needed room for are pretty basic. maxed out stretch, redirection, continuity, blind rage, focus, flow, streamline.

That leaves miasma, and you know what? The above combo is disgusting. Doing it on even a high level survival will net a tileset's worth of oxygen in each go, and since killing so many enemies at once will net more energy orbs, the ability is quite energy efficient overall.

In fact, if i needed to remove a mod, i'd probably take streamline.

I've been using Saryn recently, and I've found that shes actually insanely powerful with one specific build and in tandem with a nova.

Both frames with maxed focus and blind rage. nova primes... saryn then ignites the supernova.

Even at the highest levels i've played at this combo is still devastating. HOWEVER! because of the large cost of necessary mods, I've had to polarize her twice-both times removing an ability slot for a V.

Most of you may think it's dumb to do that, but the fact that it adds 2 mod points to equip a non ability there is pretty backbreaking for me. I don't use contagion or venom, ever. molt is okay, but for this build i equip shade to go invisible if i need to take a small break and regroup, which isn't a luxury that molt can offer... plus shade requires me not spend energy to cloak.

The mods i needed room for are pretty basic. maxed out stretch, redirection, continuity, blind rage, focus, flow, streamline.

That leaves miasma, and you know what? The above combo is disgusting. Doing it on even a high level survival will net a tileset's worth of oxygen in each go, and since killing so many enemies at once will net more energy orbs, the ability is quite energy efficient overall.

In fact, if i needed to remove a mod, i'd probably take streamline.

Sounds interesting. I was planning on getting multiples of most (if not all) the frames. I'll definitely try this with my second Saryn. Doesn't duration effect miasma? Why not include a narrow minded? Just curious.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

Sounds interesting. I was planning on getting multiples of most (if not all) the frames. I'll definitely try this with my second Saryn. Doesn't duration effect miasma? Why not include a narrow minded? Just curious.

Why are you planning on getting multiple frames? that seems like a waste of time imo

just using 1 ability is like only eating the icing of a slice of cake. You like it very much but yet you aren't enjoying the whole deal, or rather you don't know.

in this case it's more accurate to say i sampled the other layers but preferred the icing.

also @rhino, synergy is much more poweful between nova and saryn rather than rhino and nova. the damage is similar with no mods, but miasma does a good deal more damage than rhinos mod. If you put all power strength mods on both frames, because saryns is naturally stronger, she gets a much more dramatic buff than rhino. the higher the damage, the more an ability takes away from it. fully maxed, saryns is out of the ballpark compared to rhino.800 damage vs 1000 damage to start.

or you could just use Rhino, who's Ulti CCs everything for a long time, has a bigger radius, and does almost as much damage, plus he has 3 other useful abilities.

*Two other useful abilities. Charge is pretty terrible.

Why are you planning on getting multiple frames? that seems like a waste of time imo

Call it a pet project. I want to use two (or more) completely different forma set ups for the same frame. As it stands the only way to do this is to build multiples and forma them.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

It sound like a solid strategy to experiment with. I've often left out one or more abilities as they weren't to my liking. Nova's Wormhole for one.

I've also polarized out one my Rhino's corner slots on a whim, but that was before the update when DE added the team buff.

Thinking outside the box is only scary to the people stuck in it.

I love doing this with both Saryn and Rhino, but unfortunately I'm usually the one running Nova nowadays.

Don't drop Molt, since it's actually good for drawing enemies closer to catch more in the ensuing explosions - it draws aggro like Decoy.

Venom at higher level enemies is significantly better than her uber, and relying on another frame to help you kill isn't godlike, its the easy way out. OP has no idea what Saryn is capable of If OP thinks the only thing you need is her 4th. OP prolly also thinks Nova's Antimatter drop is worthless too.

Venom at higher level enemies is significantly better than her uber, and relying on another frame to help you kill isn't godlike, its the easy way out. OP has no idea what Saryn is capable of If OP thinks the only thing you need is her 4th. OP prolly also thinks Nova's Antimatter drop is worthless too.

Venom is pretty uninspiring now.

It's a solid 1 skill, but not the monster it used to be.

in this case it's more accurate to say i sampled the other layers but preferred the icing.

also @rhino, synergy is much more poweful between nova and saryn rather than rhino and nova. the damage is similar with no mods, but miasma does a good deal more damage than rhinos mod. If you put all power strength mods on both frames, because saryns is naturally stronger, she gets a much more dramatic buff than rhino. the higher the damage, the more an ability takes away from it. fully maxed, saryns is out of the ballpark compared to rhino.800 damage vs 1000 damage to start.

Synergy is between Rhino and Nova is much more than what it is between Saryn and Nova.

With max Blind Rage and Focus, Rhino's Roar gives around 115% dmg boost, that means, when combined with molecular prime its around 4x dmg. Now combine it with a Soma with max Serration and Heavy Callibre or an Acrid with max Hornet Strike and Magnum Force.

Also, why stop there ? Why not bring a Banshee too with max Blind Rage and Focus, that is I think, about 11.5 times more dmg.

So, total weapon dmg with that combo is : 2 (MP) x 2.15 (Roar) x 11.5 (Sonar) ... around 50 times weapon dmg. I'd like THAT over Saryn any day. With that combo, the 4th guy in your group, who is most likely a support, will ALSO be doing that much dmg.

just using 1 ability is like only eating the icing of a slice of cake. You like it very much but yet you aren't enjoying the whole deal, or rather you don't know.

the problem is the whole deal or saryns other 3 skills pretty much sucks while contagion always have been useless for a melee ability compared to rhinos iron ksin

and venom became useless after the nerf

and well molt... only i can say is shade do the job better and cost no energy and can last longer in high level.

as a Saryn Master Race, i am highly dissapointed at this use of Saryn. 

she's capable of a LOT more than this.

Agree!

This Elegant Brute CAN live without its Ulti but since DE downgraded Venom. Modling Saryn into a Walking Nuke is the best possible option we can imagine.

yeah, three words, galatine+contagion+roar

see for yourself, if you can, add vortex first, so it hits multiple target

2 charge attack, killed a level 100 minigunner

Since the introduction of galatine, problem of melee doing laughable dmg is somewhat solved. But major problem with Saryn doing melee is her survivability. If you build her tanky, her contagion wont be good enough. If you build her power oriented, she is squishy. If you build her just right for contagion, your other abilities will suffer, like Miasma, which require duration and range too in addition to power.

Ofc you can use trinity to mitigate this problem, but the moment the blessing goes off and you happen to be standing in the gas cloud of level 250 toxic ancient.. thats one dead saryn, right there. Her sentinel too.

before or after the minigunner knocked you down?

Yeah, basically.

although in his defense mods can be used that resist knockdown... but i don't feel that'd be even remotely worth it for what you'd need to give up.

Its not that I don't understand Saryn- far from it. From this post, I believe you havent used Saryn all that recently, as you demonstrated a lack of working knowledge of her current abilities. I'm talking about *my favorite build* so far. not saying it's the highest damage output possible! my build is just the most viscerally satisfying and relatively easiest to achieve and repeat.

also, using two frames that need to be coordinated and optimized together for a singular purpose is the EASY way out?

please, tell me more about how much harder it is to use venom and shoot the spores...

as a Saryn Master Race, i am highly dissapointed at this use of Saryn. 

she's capable of a LOT more than this.

agree. but this is my favorite use, as i previously mentioned.

So Saryn is ridiculously overpowered because Nova kills everything?

Interesting.

ha! very cute use of semantics. if either frame is OP it's nova, but saryn as a catalyst really rips out huge amounts of raw damage- far far more than what nova or saryn could do alone.

Venom is pretty uninspiring now.

It's a solid 1 skill, but not the monster it used to be.

THIS THIS THIS.

for everyone talking about how venom is better than her ult, a few months ago I'd agree with you. venom currently is underwhelming overall, in my opinion. if it works for you, it works for you, but so far combing out with nova's ult does far more damage for far less effort.

again, my opinion, and i'm not saying you're *wrong.* i'm saying we disagree.

Agree!

This Elegant Brute CAN live without its Ulti but since DE downgraded Venom. Modling Saryn into a Walking Nuke is the best possible option we can imagine.

basically. saryn is pretty open as far as frames go. you can build her for a few different things- all of which she does well. she's not a bad frame by any stretch.

Edited by Malora_Sidewinder

So your Miasma costs 125 Power? That's quite a lot considering Saryn's laughably low Power pool.

I,  myself,  went a different way, I use Fleeting Expertise, Continuity , Constitution, Stretch along with Flow.

This way I can cast Miasma for 40 power without a loss to Duration, the damage may not be impressive, at least not per single cast but as you can see with roughly the same cost I can cast it 3 times , which makes it a great CC ability due to it's stun.

I completely dropped Molt because at higher levels it gets one shotted and Contagion since high level enemies drop you down before you get in their face.

I truly hope for some rebalance for Saryn's Molt, Contagion and perhaps Venom. I mean, she is not a bad frame, it's just that her abilities don't scale with enemy levels at all, she lacks the utility for higher levels in my opinion.

So your Miasma costs 125 Power? That's quite a lot considering Saryn's laughably low Power pool.

I,  myself,  went a different way, I use Fleeting Expertise, Continuity , Constitution, Stretch along with Flow.

This way I can cast Miasma for 40 power without a loss to Duration, the damage may not be impressive, at least not per single cast but as you can see with roughly the same cost I can cast it 3 times , which makes it a great CC ability due to it's stun.

I completely dropped Molt because at higher levels it gets one shotted and Contagion since high level enemies drop you down before you get in their face.

I truly hope for some rebalance for Saryn's Molt, Contagion and perhaps Venom. I mean, she is not a bad frame, it's just that her abilities don't scale with enemy levels at all, she lacks the utility for higher levels in my opinion.

yes her first 3 abilities lack truly when considering the pratical gameplay and the scaling rate for higher levels

yes her first 3 abilities lack truly when considering the pratical gameplay and the scaling rate for higher levels

Yeap. And Miasma I guess actually hinders the discussion of any balance efforts for Saryn. Every now and then someone comes and say they can clear a room or maybe three when combined with Nova and/or Rhino.

But then when enemies go level 250+, Miasma is nothing but a stun for heavies and somewhat damage to light mobs. And when level goes to 500, even light enemies will start laughing at its dmg.

Sure one can argue game is not balanced for higher waves, but then, if we read this part of the later developer post :

Mission Types:

We mentioned on Livestream 10 (?) that we have begun to re-work some of the mission types in the game. You saw the first new mission type (Survival) in Update 10. We are ramping up our efforts to get these re-work/additions out in a faster manner. The goal of the mission re-work is to make the missions less about going to point A, do something and then get to exit. We also want to add a scoring mechanism to each mission type so we can rank and reward players on the weekly leaderboards that have been recently added to the game. Currently we are working on the Sabotage mission type.

So, in future rewards will be comming to leaderboards. And to get an idea how *easy* this task is, one can just open up the leaderboards for Xini. If this idea gets implemented then only the best warframes will be used for a particular mission. And those players who will be trying to compete for heavily contested leaderboard ranks of defense/survival, they can kiss their Saryn goodbye.