Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Curiosity time: Would you play WF if killing enemies was possible, but not necessary?

Tyreaus

So, for example, if:

• Loot containers refreshed over time and could drop everything enemies currently can (like life support capsules, rare mods...)
  • Objectives needing kills, like Defense or Exterminate, no longer did (maybe Exterminate is a looting run instead)
  • Capture could be done by "stealth-kill"
  • So on and so forth

Basically: if the game said "you can kill enemies, but you never have to", and the game progressed no faster or slower (whether killing or being a pacifist), would you have the same interest in Warframe as you do now?

I don't know where this came from, I'm just really curious now...

Yes of course. To be perfectly frank games like Dungeons n Dragons online that give you options to skip combat entirely or Story Aspects of Star Wars the Old Republic where you could avoid combat entirely through guile or manipulating the environment to trap but not kill your foe I find very engaging. I would love to be able to negotiate with Corpus for instance, or maybe use have some aspect in the focus schools to manipulate minds. 

It's a level of depth I would love to see in Warframe: For example on the Survival missions I would love to see it split into real Co-Op play system where one team is distraction while the other has to solve puzzles and raid storage holds, and hack systems for example.

16 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

So, for example, if:

• Loot containers refreshed over time and could drop everything enemies currently can (like life support capsules, rare mods...)
  • Objectives needing kills, like Defense or Exterminate, no longer did (maybe Exterminate is a looting run instead)
  • So on and so forth

Basically: if the game said "you can kill enemies, but you never have to", and the game progressed no faster or slower (whether killing or being a pacifist), would you have the same interest in Warframe as you do now?

Personally hell no, I come here to kill it, alot of it. If I want to play the game like a spy mission, I'll play another game.

19 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

So, for example, if:

• So on and so forth

As long as it's just a choice, i would see no problem. I mean, i would still be slaughtering everyone and everything, because it's fun but if you don't want to... well i don't see why you wouldn't want to.

I think eliminating it entirely, or making it the primary method of earning loot, would make Warframe boring, and a bit trivial, however if it was a secondary, or tertiary focus of the loot attaining process, it could potentially provide alternate play styles to objectives, not only in format but meta as well, which in turn could give a breath of fresh air to the game, and solve our current dps/tank over CC/Stealth meta

Honestly, kind of surprised by responses. Huh...

16 minutes ago, (PS4)Darkrya said:

I think eliminating it entirely, or making it the primary method of earning loot, would make Warframe boring, and a bit trivial, however if it was a secondary, or tertiary focus of the loot attaining process, it could potentially provide alternate play styles to objectives, not only in format but meta as well, which in turn could give a breath of fresh air to the game, and solve our current dps/tank over CC/Stealth meta

If I understand right, you mean something like, the rate of loot attainment being the same whether killing enemies or looting boxes? (I admit I'm having some difficulty reconciling the alternate play styles idea with loot from enemies bit because we can kill enemies in such volume, and usually break open loot boxes with the same attacks, that you're just about doing both at the same time. If you blow up a group of enemies, you break open the resource containers they're standing by. So it seems like it'd make loot goblin-ing less effective and land us right back where we started with the DPS / tank meta.)

31 minutes ago, (PS4)ErydisTheLucario said:

Personally hell no, I come here to kill it, alot of it. If I want to play the game like a spy mission, I'll play another game.

Chill ... it's not called "Replace killing with looting" you'd still be able to do your killing, but it wouldn't be 100% mandatory.
I for one would probably do both ... cause why not ... more loot.

5 minutes ago, SocialFox said:

Chill ... it's not called "Replace killing with looting" you'd still be able to do your killing, but it wouldn't be 100% mandatory.
I for one would probably do both ... cause why not ... more loot.

Bruh, I just gave my opinion, I know what the post is about. Notice how I started with Personally. I gave my personal opinion. Anyway I think its fine the way it is.

Actual stealth games notoriously underperform though.

Also, while I think Spy missions are some of the most interesting and fun missions in the game, I do tend to avoid them in favor of "dumber" missions. Spy missions are usualy not the kind of gameplay for which I turn on warframe in the first place and build choices dont affect them much anyway.

I wouldn't mind the variet, have a mission where you can only reach the VIP if you go undetected to his objective. But that would require an actual level design instead of being procedural generated.

Stealth to be good requires level design in general no matter what kind of objective you want to reach. The ARPG aspect of Warframe enter in clash with this, also there is a question of reward how should we reward the player that goes in the hurdle of going undetected? How do we avoid cheese ? And so on...

Just raising this questions for the sake of a healthy discussion because in general I'm all for it.

5 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

If the game said "you can kill enemies, but you never have to"

I despise the idea simply because it reminds me of Limbo players during Sorties that just pop Cataclysm on and idle on top of the defense objective the whole mission.

Tho i have to agree there should be some complete Stealth focused missions that you cant be detected at all to complete the objectives which is kinda the objective in 2 of the Mastery Rank tests we perform.

6 hours ago, Magus_Tahir said:

It's a level of depth I would love to see in Warframe: For example on the Survival missions I would love to see it split into real Co-Op play system where one team is distraction while the other has to solve puzzles and raid storage holds, and hack systems for example.

Thats what I thought the Scarlet Spear was gonna be like 😢

well we did have the 2 squad thing with Scarlet spear.

One squad go quietly to steal stuff during a period of time, the longer time that goes on the more security the squad have to worry about.

lasers etc and other form of detection systems. While the second squad is the unit doing survival.

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

Would you play WF if killing enemies was necessary, but not possible?

True measure of hardcore.

You mad man.

(I also legitimately thought I typo'd it and had to double check, so touche)

7 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

Loot containers refreshed over time and could drop everything enemies currently can (like life support capsules, rare mods...)

Interesting, it would not stop people from killing, but will make people more interested in endless missions.

Objectives needing kills, like Defense or Exterminate, no longer did (maybe Exterminate is a looting run instead)

I do not see people going for this, people do not have Patient for that, people have short attention spans.

Capture could be done by "stealth-kill"

Possible, it would make it interesting if you get a bonus for doing it with no kills.

So on and so forth

2 hours ago, Letter13 said:

You mean you've never challenged yourself to a true stealth run before?

Plenty of times.  Sadly the problem with Warframe's stealth is that in general it boils down to "Pick a frame with an invisibility effect, as much duration and efficiency as you can muster, and just walk around invisible the whole mission.

Archived