Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We need MORE open world zones

angmar57

One greatest things to have been given to players of this game is without a doubt the Plains of Eidolon and Fortuna updates, granting us a whole new way to enjoy the game. These updates gave the players a far stronger feeling of being in a living world with its own small societies scattered across the Origin System, and the upcoming Duviri Paradox promises to also be interesting. But I do believe the game developers could expand this even further to include new regions on the planets Mars, Phobos, Ceres and Europa. Not really sure this is the place to putting up a suggestion for new content but here goes nothing:

Mars: As many of the more veteran players are aware, the lore in game indicates that the planet once had its own little culture that Baro'Kiteer himself came from, until the Grineer drove his people out. So the lore for the suggested open world zone on this planet would either a small holdout of surviving colonists, or an active reclamation effort by them returning home to take back what once belonged to them. The relay part of it would of course come complete with its own merchants selling unique gear, including new components for Zaws and Kitguns. Could also do some more work with mining and the whole animal capture system, though they would probably have to ditch fishing for this one (it is a desert after all).

Phobos: This little ball of rock has and still is a mystery in the lore since they introduced all those years ago, so why not put an open world zone here, but with an infested theme. After all, we know that infestation lurks in small pockets across origin system, and it has completely overwhelmed Eris. Plus, i could be used to expand upon the lore that is given to the players that have undertaken the quest for the Nidus Warframe. The relay area would of course have merchants, whose wares would naturally be a continuation of the infested theme, with infested type Zaw, Kitgun, and maybe even Companion parts. It would also include its own unique group of animals to capture, for research purposes of course.

Ceres: Grineer have long since turned this planet into an toxic nightmare with their ruthless manufacturing across the surface with there tireless factories working day and night to drive the Grineer war machine. It does not really seem the place to put an open world zone, but life is resilient. And the Kavor Defectors have found home among the massive waste and refuse tossed away from the factories and to the scrapyards that accompany them, salvaging parts for use that the Grineer negligently overlooked before tossing it aside. A colony right under there noses, and home to scavangers that sell a unique varity of parts for Zaw and Kitgun weapons. Not really sure they could sell companion parts, but they could have a place for more Grineer themed K-Drive parts. Also unsure about wildlife, since this would be zone that has since been torn apart by the Grineer factories, but i have faith in the game developers.

Europa: Nothing interesting about this old ice ball right? Only thing of value are the bits of Corpus wreckage that litter the planet surface from there ongoing conflict with the Grineer, supposedly. But, despite the expense the Corpus are still there trying salvage anything they can lay there hands on. And let us not forget that with the introduction of Grendel, they added lore indicating that there was a colony on Europa once. So maybe are least favorite merchant cult found something down there? Relay part of the zone would include merchants as usual, with unique parts for your Zaw and Kitgun weapons, and maybe a place to buy parts to build your own Osprey, similar to Leg's shop in Fortuna.

This is pretty much all the ideas i can currently think of for what they could possibly try to add in the future of this game. So if anyone else has something say go ahead. My only regret with this, I am nowhere near the level of story writing and graphic design the game developers have, and therefore provide further lore or even a crude sketch go along with this list (i am really that bad with pen and paper).

I wouldn’t say we need more, but we need deeper, more interactive and dynamic open worlds. As they are, they’re no different from other tileset missions beyond the level design. Players rush from point to point then leave the open world because the mission design encourages it. 

18 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

They first gotta prove that they are even capable of adding content other than bounties, mining and fishing to ANY open world. They still havent even done the third orb mother fight in Vallis.

It’s Destiny-but-worse when it comes to the Landscapes.

Besides getting some infested hellscape as an open world just to flesh out that faction more there really isn't any need for more and there especially doesn't need to be one per planet.

Unless the existing two can be evolved more either by making them less isolated or given more purpose than a few resource gathering activities and the same bland bounty system then having more of the same would do more harm than good for the game and community.

The only way I want more open world zones is if DE will design them more like Ubisoft's open worlds: aka, story-driven worlds that are full of friendly and enemy NPCs and designed around immersive sandbox experiences and not around farming, grinding, and side activities (i.e. fishing, mining, and eidolon/orb mother-style fights).

There's this "we" thing again when "I" was the actual word that should have been used.

People keep doing that to give their individual opinion or wish more imaginary weight by increasing the number of people and it's obvious. Other favorites are "a lot of people" - "others" - and the best one - "THE MAJORITY" think (feel, want etc.) something -I- actually want.

It's cool to have an opinion or wish but own it up and say it's YOURS and not an imaginary big group's one. The "we" thing makes it look less appealing right away to me at least. Not anyone else to my knowledge - that's why I don't claim it would.

Regarding the actual topic: if it would be only more of the same I don't really need it. Just for the sake of it I'd be okay with an Infested open world as the last one for a long time.

I see issues tied to standing grind for lower MR players as well since I have an MR3 "protege" at the moment and the low daily standing is really a roadblock for that (one, specific, non-imaginary) player. Adding another one of those seems not appealing to me if I put myself in low MR shoes. But the daily standing cap would be a topic in itself.

Honestly the only thing that can save Warframe are open worlds. The moment DE releases a new open world their profits and user base goes up 10x. They need to transition nodes into a larger open world map especially if they want RJ to work. As of now people only play for NW rewards.

If they intergrate Spy, Capture, Interception, Defection, all the missions ontop a larger map or universe I can see this working but as of now. All we see are different games modes in one game.

Or replace the node on the Navigation screen on place them on the maps of open world with cave. Enter this cave for this kind of randomized mission.

They expanding on the current 2 is the better path to take in my opinion. Adding more will split the content too much and developer focus will be all over the place. 

Add towns, real bounties, weekly bounties and some sort of Destiny’s strikes with a boss fight in the end and you got a pretty beefy gameplay loop. 

Hopefully it's in the pipe. I'm hoping for an open sea location on Uranus, with a friendly Helminth strain, expanding the infested faction with renegade strains that need tenno help. They can make a new modular vehicle to replace Sharkwing, surf the surface with our Kdrive, fly over the water with our Archwings.

It's probably just a matter of time for more open world content. 

If they do another open world it's gonna be Eris simple as that. Why? We have 1 Grineer world, 1 Corpus, no infested. And the infested world is Eris. Literally no chance that DE wouldn't do an open world for each faction before moving onto multiple open worlds of 1 faction. 

All that being said.. I expect the next open world to actually be the Tau system.

They actually already showed off the next open world, and have been working on it for awhile, it was in a devstream, and it's infested.

They showed concept art, and made it clear that it was their next open world, I would guess it'll be released some time next year.

After their current more mainline objectives, like duviri and new war, corpus lich system and railjack. 

No I don’t. Don’t count me in.

Isn’t it obvious enough after two meeeeeh examples?

Rather than openworld DE should just focus on finishing what fake tennocon video showed. And no, scarlet spear is not remotely the same as it.

20 minutes ago, kevoisvevo said:

open world or more like empty world like ubisoft games. care to elaborate?

Ubisoft open worlds are fuller than DE open worlds. Being like a Ubisoft open world would be a step up for DE. At least some of their games (AC Origins, GR Wildlands) feel like they're worlds with all the NPCs moving around.

7 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

"Need" is a bit strong, but I would like to see them. I'd like to see the Infested planetoids of Eris, the factories of Ceres, the glaciers of Europa, the whatever they come up with for Paradox of Duviri

Open worlds need to evolve and improve.

If every open world is going to be yet another alt landscape with a new, ever-more complicated loot-resource loop and some modified faction enemies and a new ever-more complicated syndicate to advance through, then combat, story, and immersion need to compete with equal, improved measure.

Archived