Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We need MORE open world zones

angmar57

DE ran out of ideas and couldn't even make any good gameplay for Fortuna, for how much time and effort went into developing it - its just dead wasteland with not much to do and it flopped hard  - there was much hype and the presentation part is great but then people found out there are no fun missions and stopped playing it, player numbers dropped dramatically. There is no point spending year or more developing these open worlds because they cant make them fun to play and everyone inevitably abandons them, its a waste of dev time and budget.

11 hours ago, angmar57 said:

One greatest things to have been given to players of this game is without a doubt the Plains of Eidolon and Fortuna updates, granting us a whole new way to enjoy the game. These updates gave the players a far stronger feeling of being in a living world with its own small societies scattered across the Origin System, and the upcoming Duviri Paradox promises to also be interesting. But I do believe the game developers could expand this even further to include new regions on the planets Mars, Phobos, Ceres and Europa. Not really sure this is the place to putting up a suggestion for new content but here goes nothing:

Mars: As many of the more veteran players are aware, the lore in game indicates that the planet once had its own little culture that Baro'Kiteer himself came from, until the Grineer drove his people out. So the lore for the suggested open world zone on this planet would either a small holdout of surviving colonists, or an active reclamation effort by them returning home to take back what once belonged to them. The relay part of it would of course come complete with its own merchants selling unique gear, including new components for Zaws and Kitguns. Could also do some more work with mining and the whole animal capture system, though they would probably have to ditch fishing for this one (it is a desert after all).

Phobos: This little ball of rock has and still is a mystery in the lore since they introduced all those years ago, so why not put an open world zone here, but with an infested theme. After all, we know that infestation lurks in small pockets across origin system, and it has completely overwhelmed Eris. Plus, i could be used to expand upon the lore that is given to the players that have undertaken the quest for the Nidus Warframe. The relay area would of course have merchants, whose wares would naturally be a continuation of the infested theme, with infested type Zaw, Kitgun, and maybe even Companion parts. It would also include its own unique group of animals to capture, for research purposes of course.

Ceres: Grineer have long since turned this planet into an toxic nightmare with their ruthless manufacturing across the surface with there tireless factories working day and night to drive the Grineer war machine. It does not really seem the place to put an open world zone, but life is resilient. And the Kavor Defectors have found home among the massive waste and refuse tossed away from the factories and to the scrapyards that accompany them, salvaging parts for use that the Grineer negligently overlooked before tossing it aside. A colony right under there noses, and home to scavangers that sell a unique varity of parts for Zaw and Kitgun weapons. Not really sure they could sell companion parts, but they could have a place for more Grineer themed K-Drive parts. Also unsure about wildlife, since this would be zone that has since been torn apart by the Grineer factories, but i have faith in the game developers.

Europa: Nothing interesting about this old ice ball right? Only thing of value are the bits of Corpus wreckage that litter the planet surface from there ongoing conflict with the Grineer, supposedly. But, despite the expense the Corpus are still there trying salvage anything they can lay there hands on. And let us not forget that with the introduction of Grendel, they added lore indicating that there was a colony on Europa once. So maybe are least favorite merchant cult found something down there? Relay part of the zone would include merchants as usual, with unique parts for your Zaw and Kitgun weapons, and maybe a place to buy parts to build your own Osprey, similar to Leg's shop in Fortuna.

This is pretty much all the ideas i can currently think of for what they could possibly try to add in the future of this game. So if anyone else has something say go ahead. My only regret with this, I am nowhere near the level of story writing and graphic design the game developers have, and therefore provide further lore or even a crude sketch go along with this list (i am really that bad with pen and paper).

You forgot about LUA: The open zone could bea giantic ruined orokin city, the one you see in the skybox of this planet.

After seeing Plague Star and that cgi intro movie we got last year, I've been thinking rather than adding a new open world, I want them to add other faction invasion to what we have. We got this big ass area perfect for war battlefield, it would be quite a spectacle overseeing Grineer vs Corpus using Archwing and proceed to carpet bomb them with explosive weapons of your choice.

to be fair, we aren't done with Fortuna yet. still waiting on Orb #3.

anyway,. people have mixed feeling about open worlds. sure, at first they are all shiny and appealing, and there's stuff to explore etc. but once the grinding begins: the Syndicate standing, the new resources etc.. that's when people start having mixed feelings, and if it's another "content island", where it has no connection to the rest of the game, that's when it starts to leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

I think ALL of the planets have some degree of potential for Open worlds, but I'm gonna take it one at a time. let's get that last Orb fight, and Planes of Duviri, then we can talk about where the next Open World can go.

Wasting 1 year of development to create another aesthetically pleasant open landscape, only to fill it with mining, fishing and the very same old missions we have been playing since ever, not even scaled to all the available space? No thx.

I would rather ask them to work on innovative gamemodes to fill the creative void that bounties are.

As long as Warframe just keeps revolving around Grind Walls, open world or not is the same. Nothing significantly different. A lot of people return to the current 2 open world maps only when they need to farm something, not to enjoy (not even K-Drive things).

I would rather DE be more innovative on the 2 current maps first than create another f***ing Grind Fest.

As far as I know an Infested Open world map is actually in the plans. But that won't come very soon.

The New War quest isn't released yet, the Duviri Paradox isn't released yet Railjack still needs more levels and is still not tied to the core game much. Is there anything I left out?

2 hours ago, Diangelius said:

As long as Warframe just keeps revolving around Grind Walls, open world or not is the same. Nothing significantly different. A lot of people return to the current 2 open world maps only when they need to farm something, not to enjoy (not even K-Drive things).

I would rather DE be more innovative on the 2 current maps first than create another f***ing Grind Fest.

You just described what I do on Ow maps.

I either farm for Nw or I just k-drive around for fun.

54 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

You just descripted what I do on Ow maps.

I either farm for Nw or I just k-drive around for fun.

Didn't say "all" people anyway. Wish I could enjoy those things like you do.

Btw, it is described.   :v

I would prefer higher quality "open world" maps, rather than more of them. I would also like to see actual variance between maps, rather than them more or less being the same but with different skins.

As it is, Orb and PoE are just large empty maps with little to no variance from standard missions, as bounties are just smaller versions of standard missions, and instead of a loading screen, it's just hop on AW fly to next spot.

In my opinion, open world maps also lose their appeal when they're actually pretty small while still being empty, and in the case of multiplayer, instanced to just a handful of people in the same group. The emptiness, limited events+players makes it not as interesting.

How about they just release tilesets? The old formula of randomly generated maps still works great, and both of the open world areas we have were not well received by the community. They were just excessively grindy, timegated areas, I would love them to go back to the old tried and true formula that was working perfectly fine before plains of eidolon came out. Thats the warframe I love. Thats the core experience that most players fell in love with, not the open worlds.

I like your take on this. Seems some folks only know how to insult DE or complain rather than add any real input tho lol  

But I do agree with some of the replies that more depth in the open worlds we currently have would be good. I think we could use some more independent characters that influence the environment and more personal stories about the NPCs. I think that would help bring more context to our presence in places like Cetus and Fortuna. I’ll be referring back to this though. I think it’s a good start for some fan based lore. 

I think it would be better if they add more content in the already existing open world areas especially for the plains. The plains are look a little plain. No pun intended. Like make the already existing open areas more alive with new checkpoints and NPCs. I’m telling theirs potential to this but they need to fix up and make the older content way better before they start new content.

We do know DE has plans to add this sort of open world infestation based railjack mission which is just like PoE and the orb vallis. You go to that open world with railjack and you can go to the ground on these sort of massive asteroids with infested forests and tunels. Not sure which devstream they showcased some arts of that place, but it is DE's plan to add it in the future (maybe 2021 or 2022?)

While I’d love more open worlds (I was the biggest champion of them before they made Plains of Eidolon), I don’t think DE does them in a way that benefits the game as a whole. I now think it’s the open world HUB that is far more important and has more potential, especially as a replacement to the relays. I would rather see DE rework more tilesets along with improving gameplay modes and adding more lore and story. Perhaps they could make the planets more unique, and even change up the rather linear starchart to be more engaging.

So for example, Mars has a lot of lore and has gotten a lot of focus in various events, tactical alerts and quests over the years, and it could use an overhaul. But instead of just giving it another resource farm open world that doesn’t connect to anything else, why not do something different? Give Mars a Cetus/Fortuna-like hub, but instead of tying it solely to an open world, it could connect to the entire planet’s nodes. At the same time, DE could rework Mars’ tileset to make it far more interesting (and even having some of the open world gameplay features), and even make it such that the open world Syndicate’s bounties happen on the regular nodes. In addition, they could tie Phobos more closely to Mars with its own tileset. Finally, they could make a quest that actually gives us some real worldbuilding lore.

19 hours ago, (PS4)poloslash18 said:

They expanding on the current 2 is the better path to take in my opinion. Adding more will split the content too much and developer focus will be all over the place. 

Add towns, real bounties, weekly bounties and some sort of Destiny’s strikes with a boss fight in the end and you got a pretty beefy gameplay loop. 

I really want to see friendly settlements in the Plains that you can interact with and find stories in.

I don't understand all the groaning about Orb Vallis, it's a dramatic improvement from Plains of Eidolon, with more space, more detail, the addition of hunting and skate park minigames, and better boss encounters. I'm sure we'd all like more, but it's disrespectful to act like it's bad content.

I have a dream of an infested open-world.

Hills and valleys of writhing meat, tentacle trees, lakes of ooze, giant boils, geysers of pus. A smoggy red sky with hazy orange clouds of infested spores, caves with teeth and tongues. Lots of new infested enemies including parts of the terrain like tentacles that whip at you as you pass. Passive "animals" to capture, deformed critters all over. Mutant fish to catch too.

excited black and white GIF

5 hours ago, xcrimsonlegendx said:

I have a dream of an infested open-world.

Hills and valleys of writhing meat, tentacle trees, lakes of ooze, giant boils, geysers of pus. A smoggy red sky with hazy orange clouds of infested spores, caves with teeth and tongues. Lots of new infested enemies including parts of the terrain like tentacles that whip at you as you pass. Passive "animals" to capture, deformed critters all over. Mutant fish to catch too.

excited black and white GIF

That sound beautiful. Except, i don't want to fish mutant fish, i want to dive in and fight mutant fish.

Yeah i dont think you undersrand how difficult it is to get and Open World right... so many games do it wrong and as far as I can tell Warframe's open worlds are one of the worst I've ever come across. Im not saying this to be mean or funny. They are genuinely bad and not only do i think they shouldnt make another one... but they shouldnt try to Salvage the ones we already have... let them die... dont save them.

Archived