Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Save / Cross Play / Cross Platform / Cross Progress / Account Transfer / Account Migration Megathread

(PSN)CagzJohn06

On 2021-04-19 at 5:50 PM, Dark_Lugia said:

Q: Can I move my Playstation / Xbox One / Nintendo Switch account to PC? Can I move my PC account to Playstation / Xbox One / Nintendo Switch?

A: Warframe accounts can’t be transferred between platforms. There are technical barriers that prevent us from being able to move accounts between console and PC. In the past, we offered account migration between PC and PS4. We later did the same for PC to Xbox One and PC to Nintendo Switch. In those cases, we were able to work with different companies to make account migration available for a limited time in celebration of Warframe’s launch on new platforms, but account migration is not available regularly.

We don’t have plans to make account migration available again in the future, but you are welcome to start another account! We don’t have any problem with players having accounts on multiple platforms.

- https://forums.warframe.com/announcement/65-decommunity-faq/

or use the search bar....

Hide contents

•  

1 minute ago, (PSN)Kakurine2 said:

I don't think its simply de. Tons of legal issues for multiple companies/parties. Technical and coding hurdles. Manpower issues.

Don't hold your breath here man.

I get this.  I do.  I just wish DE would tell us what it is that is keeping them from making this happen.  Is it Sony's habit of completely screwing over their playerbase with horrendous decisions?  Is it a complicated coding process that they are having a hard time getting everything to work right together?  Is it something else entirely that no one has guessed yet in all the speculation done in threads similar to this one?  If they really wanted it as much as we do, then why would they not tell us what's stopping them, so the community that loves this game might be able to help, whether it be through petitions or boycotts or whatever....

Like i would love cross save. But lets be real its been on the to do list for years. Prople have asked for years.  And well de has said they want it.

There's a mountain of issues. The chances of it happening are slim.  Realistically pc has the biggest advantages over console.

38 minutes ago, Dino_Thunderlung said:

... why would they not tell us what's stopping them, so the community that loves this game might be able to help, whether it be through petitions or boycotts or whatever....

This is why they don't/won't tell right here...contractual details that the DE fanbase would turn into pitchforks and torches against whatever entity seen as the 'problem', ruining any goodwill and creating drama.

Why would DE want to point a rabid fanbase at an entity with which they are trying to successful\y negotiate?

This is not a hard cross-save OR cross-play request in the form that they're usually thought about. Please read the full idea and then reply. Sorry if it's been posted before. If so, I haven't seen it. 

It's simple: You have one overarching account. Plat and maybe even tennogen CANNOT transfer. Your stats (MR, playtime, ect) are cross-saved, which would actually help to prevent scams I'm assuming. But that's besides the point, which is that big corporations don't lose money. You can then trade items between PC and Console. this means that you only have the one copy still (or however many you have) and that if you transfer an item, like console to pc, the console save would lose that item while the pc save gains it.

The reason that I think this is a viable solution is because most people, at least people with notable hours, aren't usually willing to start all over. MOST. So after factoring in that no products are duplicated and that there would be no way to really hurt the sales of anything... I mean I suppose people trying to migrate one way or another would be buying future micro-transactions through different sources.

So I thought of this to counter that. The popular move would probably be to keep some frames and equipment on console and some on PC. This means that they're probably going to use one of, or both platforms, to grind out duplicate gear for themselves to have both platforms fully stocked. This would seem to benefit both companies that are hosting that player as the player would spend more time or and money in both arenas. So there's a good chance that this results in a benefit for all companies involved AND the players who would like to be able to play the game on on one platform or another. 

Also note that not all platforms have to be onboard. It's probably a one-at-a-time process. 

Let's try a crazy new thing where, instead of shooting the idea down, we try to improve it to a viable state. Thank you. 

I think where it falls over is having 2 or more accounts.. If they did have a migration of account system it may work.. i.e move pc account to xbox AND then PC account is deleted.. having 2 or more account creates the "scammer" possibilities that would be very difficult to control.  But if it was transferred to one or the other with the transferred account being deleted I think that would have possibilities.. but Im sure the Devs have looked right into this and will proceed or not :)

39 minutes ago, CoconutFella said:

I have a feeling this isn't the case, but if I bought warframe bundles and prime accessories that were registered to my PC, they can't also be applied to my switch account can they?

No, they cannot be applied. You have to buy them on every platform you wan them on.

32 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

I mean I suppose people trying to migrate one way or another would be buying future micro-transactions through different sources.

You need to plan this around not being able to migrate accounts. The console manufacturers have to sign off on it.

33 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Let's try a crazy new thing where, instead of shooting the idea down, we try to improve it to a viable state. Thank you.

But we have to shoot the idea down because you are suggesting things that DE has already said isn't going to happen.

34 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

The reason that I think this is a viable solution is because most people, at least people with notable hours, aren't usually willing to start all over. MOST.

Where is your source for this information? Many people make alt accounts to start over. I am not sure what 'notable hours' means. I don't think anyone's play time is considered notable. I have played for many hours (thousands) and would not be against making an alt account to start over with.

11 minutes ago, krc473 said:

You need to plan this around not being able to migrate accounts. The console manufacturers have to sign off on it.

Covered in the op it would seem. 

11 minutes ago, krc473 said:

But we have to shoot the idea down because you are suggesting things that DE has already said isn't going to happen.

They say allot of things. A lot. of things...

15 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Where is your source for this information? Many people make alt accounts to start over. I am not sure what 'notable hours' means. I don't think anyone's play time is considered notable. I have played for many hours (thousands) and would not be against making an alt account to start over with.

Notable = amount of time which is significant as experienced from the perspective of the player, which naturally varies per player.  

And for sources and statistics. I'd just say that I'm not in the mood to pump thousands of hours into the game to make an inferior version of a previous account. Seems like a normal way to feel, so no. I don't have the international bureau of statistics on this one, sorry. 

51 minutes ago, -AncientWarrior- said:

I think where it falls over is having 2 or more accounts.

One account. Two saves. plat can't transfer. I thought about this as well and realized that there seems to be no advantage for scammers. I could be wrong. 

39 minutes ago, (XBOX)Shodian said:

Why does no one know how to use the search barrrrrr?

Scared Nintendo GIF

Because this isn't an identical concept to the ones I saw when I searched cross-save and cross-play... Not that anyone should care unless I'm personally spamming something. 

30 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Isn't cross-trade the primary reason cross-save isn't feasible right now?

Depends on the nature of it I think. I'm no expert, of course. 

10 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

Isn't cross-trade the primary reason cross-save isn't feasible right now?

This.  

PC has plat coupon. Console coupon only works per purchase. Plat is heavily inflated on PC relative to console. On console you can purchase tennogen with plat, but not on PC. 1000 plat is worth less on PC than 1000 plat on consoles.  

The two economy will not mesh peacefully. It will be messy. Best case, you end up with a lot of angry players. Worst case, the distributors get involved and you end up with law suits (like Epic vs Apple over Fortnight monetization).  

It's simply not worth it for DE. No matter how much the players and they themselves want it.  

If you let PC players trade with console players, those of us buying Plat at 75% off are going massively undercut all the Console players and probably inflate prices significantly. Plat is a lot cheaper on PC - both in terms of what it costs to get and what it can buy for you. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see cross-platform trading because it's likely to dump purchase prices for me significantly. I don't think Console sellers would be as happy, though.

There is always loopholes to whatever gets negotiated. They just have to find a loophole incase they are kept being pushed back by "contract agreements".

Player trading is the issue? Lock all the items so they aren't tradeable outside of the original platform but can still be used. Heck, they could even reset the stats on all items to base level to make people regrind them levels, better than starting over from zero again. Still not enough?

Then maybe something like this:

Find a way to create "copies" of what we have on a platform, but manually. You aren't outright copying the savefile, you are more or less checking an existing profile in a platform and be able to "select" specific items you have there, create an account on another platform and play there, and to avoid having people "but muh trades", again, lock all of this stuff so they aren't tradeable and you could even flag the user so people on pc know he came from somewhere else (if this has any value). This could be a lengthy process, as it would be all manually achieved and checked by staff to see if it all fits the bill, the criteria would be filled in by the user, staff would only have to double check if everything is nice/acceptable and voilá. They could even limit this to a one time thing ever and reinforce people that "this is a one time thing only, waste it now, and you will never be able to do it again". This sounds more or less like "cheating", as it implies creating a new save file and modifying it to some extent. Still, i do think it is an acceptable way of bringing people from one platform to another.

I have no clue what agreements they had, but there has to be a way to "work around it" without actually triggering the culprit holding them back *cough* Sony *cough*, DE is just probably scared of doing anything that could piss someone off. *cough* *cough* Sony *cough* *cough*

I still find it amusing that they can't transfer data but cross-save is a possibility, i mean, it works either way for what people want in the end, the thing is. Are they really trying to get cross-save going? I refuse to start a new account, after investing quite a bit of time and money on ps4. I also refuse to play it on ps4, Sony is in my blacklist for now due to a bunch of stupid things popping up lately that clearly points out the "for the player" was just bait to gather goodwill, just like microsoft was early in xbox one generation on my blacklist and is now on a great place overall.

Even cross save would have limits. Platform exclusive skins and such would be locked.

Pc gets all the tennogen console does not. So if i bought a skin on pc that wasn't on console i wouldn't be able to use that skin on console.

Pc is typically ahead in patches. So if i jumped on pc any mechanical changes would now affect me well on pc only.

6 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

If you let PC players trade with console players, those of us buying Plat at 75% off are going massively undercut all the Console players and probably inflate prices significantly. Plat is a lot cheaper on PC - both in terms of what it costs to get and what it can buy for you. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see cross-platform trading because it's likely to dump purchase prices for me significantly. I don't think Console sellers would be as happy, though.

19 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Plat and maybe even tennogen CANNOT transfer.

Why we are not allowed to transfer our switch account to Pc? Switch is dead. Nearly always only a few people playing at the same time. After hundreds of hours there's no reason to restart from Zero 

Welcome in the german subforum.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb 5ph1nx:

Why we are not allowed to transfer our switch account to Pc?

Because money. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft needs money and you are a player on their system. Do you think they let you go? No friend... No. DE cant do nothing. 

There is also nothing to complain about the developer. If you want a transfer you have to do this with your platform operator - in your case Nintendo. But one player alone will not be enough.

Another question. Why are you playing on the Switch?

A yes, another cross save thread
vaping GIF

TDLR:  Many companies involved -> all need to agree/DE needs to develop the infrastructure -> if they don't agree -> no cross-save

Long version:

unknown.png

For everthing else we don't have a definitive answer.
They said a few times here and there, that they are working on a cross-progress concept, but they haven't confirmed or denied if it's ever going to be implemented (or at least any time soon™).

For example:

Or more recent:
unknown.png
- https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/mquwct/we_are_digital_extremes_developers_of_warframe_ama/guiijex/

Cross-play on the other hand might never come.
unknown.png

Main issues for a slow progress might be (following points are my own thoughts):

- The game/games infrastructure wasn't made for it, because Warframe has existed since at least 2013 (start open beta) and during this time might had other focus points than account-sharing (DE had a rough start with WF, especially since they were unable to find a publisher). But since it's their game engine/infrastructure (and they know their old coding) they are also able to change parts of the game if needed, like they have shown with the advanced light/sound/particle reworks.
Different Warframe versions on different platforms, often with different build numbers, aren't making things easier.

- And there might be buisness problems, too. Since Warframe is a multi-platform game there are other companies involved, too.
Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo need to certify such changes, especially since they are losing a bit of control to what other platforms players are doing.
(In the past for example Sony often refused due to child protection and how they can't enforce it, if it's not their own domain).

- The biggest problem might be the shop and how you pay, since every party involved (DE, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Steam, Epic, (Discord?), has their interest in making money and opening up the market might result in a lower revenue.
Ingame this would also be an issue since consoles need separatly treatments for Tennogen-items (made by 3rd party artists) and are sold for platinum on console while pc players use their steam wallet; the login discount on console is for one ingame purchase and on pc it is for a platinum purchase; and there are also console/pc exclusive items/skins revenue.
So DE might also need to update their contracts and legally validating them might take a while, too.

All this issues need to be solved and approved by all the different parties involved.

For more information: there is a thread were most of this questions are getting moved into:

And if you still have questions feel free to take a look into the other forum threads on this topic:

etc.

Archived