Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Don't Like Conclaves, But I Do Like Pvp

Stinker

Some people like conclaves, I understand this. That's why I'm not advocating their removal whatsoever.

What I am advocating is the introduction of a new PvP game mode.

The goal of this game mode is to remove the need to balance. Balancing classes just sucks. Even the monsters of gaming struggle with it, some even abuse it to make sure their players keep coming back for more abuse (Talking about you, League of Legends). So why not remove the need for it?

You've all played Halo 2, right?

You know what balance was in Halo 2? Get to the big guns, kill the guys with the big guns and take their big guns, drive the big toys, gang up on people with the big toys, just be awesome with the default guns not needing the big toys at all, etc etc etc

It was all about how the player played the game!

Now? It's all about how the player prepares to play the game and how well they execute that plan. In the end it's who had the superior plan, in the case of equivalent plans; who executed theirs better.

(For example, We'll put players playing the game as left most on a line, preparing for the game as right most on a line, would look something like this

<-[Halo 2]----[Gears of War 2 (Unless you look at shotgunning wall humping jerks then this goes clear over on the right side)]-------[Battlefield]---[Call Of Duty][Halo: Reach/4]---------[Warframe Conclaves]-----[League of Legends]-[WoW Arena PvP]----[Magic:The Gathering TCG]->

Both styles of PvP have their crowd, warframe's conclaves are closer to the preparation and execution style of gaming though.

Why not something on the other end of the spectrum, like it is in Halo?

You still get to select what warframe you bring to the party, but that's all the customization you get. The only point of player controlled balance is the thing the other player has to shoot/kill. Frame speed/shields/health/armor EVERYTHING gets normalized within' the game mode. (Edit for Clarity: your choice of frame is purely a cosmetic choice. Frames do not bring anything to the game mode other than what they look like.

Within' the PvP game mode, everyone has the same Run Speed, Health, Shields, Shield Recharge Speed, Armor, EVERYTHING. It's purely whether you wanna look like a Spartan or an Elite. Everything else is the same across the board. Frost will run as fast as Loki.)

After some consideration I think the same logic should apply to Melee weapons . The exception being Heavy Melee weapons which will act as a primary/secondary weapon to be picked up and used like any other weapon.

Frames do not get to use their abilities right out of the gate. Abilities will by acquired through other means, and one frame cannot be limited by their default set of abilities. (I.E. 'Shuriken' could be acquired and used by a Vauban during the match)

The default weapon needs to be something pretty default like the Braton, MAYBE a choice between the Braton and a Boltor. (Both seem to be about the same on skill vs reward).

The more powerful weapons are spread throughout the map as something to be picked up. (The distinction between primary and secondary weapons is lost. You can carry whatever combination of weapons you pickup. Dictated in the same way it was in Halo, weapon being held = weapon swapped)

Player death results in their weapons being dropped to the ground.

Weapons do not have mod point constraints for obvious reasons.

Then we have mods to worry about. These could be handled in a myriad of ways, all of which become interesting in their own right. In all methods, the "Gear" ui is replaced by a UI that shows the current mod loadout of your held weapon, simply right clicking a mod ejects the mod from the weapon (destroying the mod) permanently.

Mod Method 1, Mods have set spawn locations: You simply pick up a mod (either by running over it or interacting with it) and it's immediately applied to your held gun, applying the mod appropriate for what's being held. So the spawn location is merely a node that applies X mod type to a weapon. The modded out weapons have their mods remembered so any player picking up that modded out weapon is going to get to use that weapon in all the glory the previous user had. Ranks of mods being applied is to be determined at whatever is deemed appropriate. Subsequent applications of the mod increases the rank of the mod up to the maximum rank. (doesn't have to be a flat rate)

Mod Method 2, Player Death drops random mods: Killing a player results in orbs to drop, these orbs are the mods. Color coded to type of mod to be applied to the currently held weapon. When a player dies, either a random bunch of mods are dropped (can be scaled to be appropriate for how much the player is lagging behind or leading) as for the weapon: it retains it's mods, or a percentage of the mods applied to their weaponry gets dropped(So the weapons lose some of their power to either be picked up into a different gun, or loaded back into the same gun. Whatever the passing player chooses), or all mods on the weapons are destroyed and the player merely drops a random bunch of mods.

Mod method 3, Weapon usage applies new and ranks mods: Killing other players, completing objectives, dealing damage, simply not dying, etcetc you get the idea applies mods and ranks to existing mods on the weapons. Dropped weapons would retain all of their power. Their could also be a method in which you can only rank up weapons of which you are the 'owner' of, so the weapons you spawn with and the weapons you were the first to scoop up. Other players requiring another pickup on the map to reassign ownership of the weapon. The spawn location could even be random/displayed on the minimap to create additional points of contention.

I can't decide on whether or not the warframes should be moddable with the same logic as weapons being moddable. I think it'd have to be one or the other. Or an interesting 4th..

Mod method 4, No traditional Mods: Instead we have modifiers applied directly to the player. +Damage, +Speed(Warframe, Weapon, Reload or even all of them combined to be Speed), +Health, +Shields etcetcetc basically Modifier Orbs can be dropped upon death and/or mod aquisition can easily be any of the methods previously mentioned. Weapons would have to come pre modded across the board, which bring me to my next point...

Mods use alone gives warframe the unique ability of assigning and balancing power as well as adding unique flavour from match to match.(Maybe all the weapons on a given map have chill, maybe only one does. Maybe all guns have an unusually high/slow fire rate. Corrupted mods are GREAT for this kind of thing) All weapons can have their power fine tuned without ever having to mess with any values other than what the weapon is modded with.

Mods also give warframe a way of helping the players not quite up to the skill level of the people they are playing with. For example: The farther behind you are, the better mod loadout you get when you spawn. At most, this would allow players to pull a clutch game, making it easier to lessen the gap between them and whatever the skill is of the people they are playing with. You could have all kinds of fun with this mechanic in making sure it doesn't get abused. I.E. the weapon disappears (or simply doesn't drop) when the noob dies, The weapon explodes after the gap is lessened by whatever degree, the weapons ammo pool cannot be replenished, etc etc

Sentinels can function like the overshields and active camo. Rare and only active for a limited time. Lets face it, sentinels are OP in PvP, but that can be a good thing.

Could even just have overshields straight up :P

Actually, a lot of warframe specific mods could be used in the style of temporary powerful bonuses.

Then we have abilities. They either need to not exist, or not be restricted to any frame so as that they can be picked up. If we are going to have them, again, we have multiple uniquely interesting methods of using them.

Ability Method 1, Limited number of uses: No need for energy, just a set amount of uses.

Ability Method 2, One use but fairly rapid acquisition: Again, no need for energy, same concept as above, but higher acquisition rate. One time use per acquisition though.

Ability Method 3, Picked up limited use by energy: Energy would have to be on a regenerative scale, maybe capable of being boosted by orbs dropped on player death. This method would work better if players were restricted to fewer and fewer abilities to be held at a time. Abilities would be Pick Up only, allowing players to swap out the abilities for other ones.

Ability Method 4, Earned + Method 1-2-3: You earn them like kill streaks. What abilities you get can either be predetermined, changed by picking up/interacting with artifacts on the map, random, etc etc. Uses logic from one of the aforementioned methods for usage.

Ability Method 5, Abilities have Cooldowns: This method would have to be pick up only, and the player would need to be limited to just one or two abilities, the player having to swap one out for another one when they desire a different one.

By handling abilities in such a way, you can simply exclude the broken and OP abilities as you see fit on a map to map basis.

Ammo packs can be dropped by players in addition to players being able to pick up remaining ammo in the clip of a weapon. Could even have it that a player will drop their weapon, which would retain any ammo left in the clip, then their entire store of ammo is expunged into the appropriate amount of ammo boxes.

Starting ammo would have to be adjusted in a way deemed appropriate. As it stands, it ain't appropriate at all. Too much ammo :P Would probably have to separate it so you only can carry the ammo types for the weapons you are carrying. Any additional ammo drops to the ground with the weapon. Ammo caps need to be adjusted as well.

Your thoughts/suggestions?

Opinions?

Edited by Stinker

I like Mod Method 1 I like but obviously the faster Warframe will get to the mod faster so maybe something needs to be done about that? (There's no way a Frost can outrun a Nova)

Another ability method I would like to add (or make it part of one of the other ability methods) would be cooldown. People spamming Ember's Fireball and Ash's Shuriken need to be stopped.

I like Mod Method 1 I like but obviously the faster Warframe will get to the mod faster so maybe something needs to be done about that? (There's no way a Frost can outrun a Nova)

Another ability method I would like to add (or make it part of one of the other ability methods) would be cooldown. People spamming Ember's Fireball and Ash's Shuriken need to be stopped.

I covered this :/

I'll go back and edit the main post to make it more clear :P

But the idea is this; your choice of frame is purely a cosmetic choice. Frames do not bring anything to the game mode other than what they look like.

Within' the PvP game mode, everyone has the same Run Speed, Health, Shields, Shield Recharge Speed, Armor, EVERYTHING. It's purely whether you wanna look like a Spartan or an Elite. Everything else is the same across the board. Frost will run as fast as Loki.

Edited by Stinker