Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enabling Physx On Amd?

MidnightsRequiem

Question

25 answers to this question

You just need to activate the option don't you? But I wouldn't recommend it...Nvidia coded it dirty on purpose for the CPU so it will rip apart your framerates even with strong CPUs..... just sayin' With rip apart I  mean framerate losses of up to 60%.

Like if this game doesnt support it via options naturally I can't help though....maybe someone else can.

Edited by Shehriazad

Nah, it can run fine on MOST CPUs but DE never added the work-a-round for it, for now AMD Users are completely locked for PhysX since they never made it available through the CPU like Borderlands 2 or many other games have done.

As for it wrecking even strong CPUs... no, that's really not true. I was able to run max PhysX on Borderlands 2 with a old Athlon 64 x2, and my normal rig is a FX-8350 and it runs all games that allow the CPU Based PhysX just fine on High, so yeah, it aint like you need a i7 just to run it. But yeah, I'd just wait till DE MAYBE makes it so the PhysX is available through the CPU for now it's built only around the GPU aspect thus locking any AMD users from enabling it even if they were to use some of the work-a-round methods from toher games.

Some games like Borderlands 2, since they always have physx on just make the cpu do it, but for most things youd need to get a second graphics card and do some formatting or something to make it think its an nvidia. then you would crossfire and have the second deal with physx only. IIRC   I do not know first hand since I've never done it but i remember hearing about people who did do it

Edit: There is a tweak/workaround you can do but it involves having an nvidia graphics card that will be used just for physx.

Edited by Deadmice

If you have a motherboard with 2 PCI-E 8x-16x slots, you had possibility to buy a cheap nVidia card just so it could do PhysX. I don't know if this is possible nowadays, because nVidia intentionally blocked it in their drivers some time ago.

Thats because I hate nVidia. This company is always full of dirty moves to restrict gamers to its cards.

Edited by Khranitel

Nah, it can run fine on MOST CPUs but DE never added the work-a-round for it, for now AMD Users are completely locked for PhysX since they never made it available through the CPU like Borderlands 2 or many other games have done.

As for it wrecking even strong CPUs... no, that's really not true. I was able to run max PhysX on Borderlands 2 with a old Athlon 64 x2, and my normal rig is a FX-8350 and it runs all games that allow the CPU Based PhysX just fine on High, so yeah, it aint like you need a i7 just to run it. But yeah, I'd just wait till DE MAYBE makes it so the PhysX is available through the CPU for now it's built only around the GPU aspect thus locking any AMD users from enabling it even if they were to use some of the work-a-round methods from toher games.

http://physxinfo.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/border_bench4.png i7 2600K spitting blood.

Read the Com. Mod post above yours. He states that PhysX is indeed running on your CPU, but APEX cannot and will not run on your CPU due to the nature of the APEX processing.

Thank you. And borderland's PhysX isn't even that complicated. It still wrecks CPUs.

Edited by honeybadger

Thank you. And borderland's PhysX isn't even that complicated. It still wrecks CPUs.

Borderlands 2 PhysX uses PhysX effects that are not APEX exclusive (Warframe's super eye candy particle effects are APEX exclusive, however), which is why Borderlands 2 can have its PhysX settings set to High without an Nvidia GPU present (but when an Nvidia GPU is present, the majority of PhysX effects are offloaded to the GPU instead).

Borderlands 2 PhysX uses PhysX effects that are not APEX exclusive (Warframe's super eye candy particle effects are APEX exclusive, however), which is why Borderlands 2 can have its PhysX settings set to High without an Nvidia GPU present (but when an Nvidia GPU is present, the majority of PhysX effects are offloaded to the GPU instead).

Can all of this information be stickied somewhere? I swear I see this question pop up every single day...and the same misinformation is still passed around.

Like this one from above "Nah, it can run fine on MOST CPUs but DE never added the work-a-round for it, for now AMD Users are completely locked for PhysX since they never made it available through the CPU like Borderlands 2 or many other games have done."

It does look pretty cool on Saryn.... Banshees 1... Mags Pull if it kills a billion infested at once....all that stuff....

I wouldnt call it a mess.... but everyone got their taste....

Also if you want to get all the eye candy in games all the time you gotta buy Nvidia Cards....thats just how it is...Nvidia is being selfish....but it's a valid selling point....not to mention the overclocked GTX 760 versions are absolute price to power ratio monsters.

But yea...tough luck....no apex physX for ya'll!

Edited by Shehriazad

Also if you want to get all the eye candy in games all the time you gotta buy Nvidia Cards....thats just how it is...Nvidia is being selfish....but it's a valid selling point....not to mention the overclocked GTX 760 versions are absolute price to power ratio monsters.

one day, maybe users might understand that Turbulence Fields in the APEX libraries will wreck CPU's harder than a stabbin' wagon because CPU's simply are built for linear math operations. GPU's can handle the massive load of Turbulence Fields because they have upwards and sometimes even over 1000 small processing cores. it's a much, much more efficient way of processing instead of trying to brute force everything through 4 large piplines, which is inherently slower than 1000 smaller ones. 

Warframe example! Soma has higher DPS than Lanka because it uses a lot more 'processing cores' which gets the job done faster than using a single, massive core does.

it's not Nvidia, it's the fact we're still using CPU's. they will always hold us back because they are a less efficient design. 

besides, AMD has far shadier business practices than Intel & Nvidia does. or if you want to argue, just as shady. 

by the way, you're not missing out on anything huge. Warframe only uses Turbulence Fields currently. you get all the same effects out of the game, PhysX or not, PhysX simply adds a whole lot more particles to the game.

i do like the particles... though.

Sonic Boom is the best example of these particles. it's just fantastic.

However, Warframe IS running a "light" version of PhysX on your CPU to render things like the Syndanas.

it does indeed, and i approve of it. more games should take advantage of the simpler PhysX libraries, because there is still nothing that tops how realistic things (can) look with them.

There was one thing I wanted to ask that didn't seem to be mentioned; for those of us with the odd setup with both cards, will there ever be the possibility of us getting the APEX effects or does using the hybrid setup somehow disable the possibility of using APEX?

(I am currently running both an AMD 7970 and an nVidia GTX 560)

Edited by AlteredCreation

You cannot. APEX PhysX effects can only be processed by an Nvidia GPU due to its unique CUDA architecture.

Moving to players helping players.

Not necessarily true. The version for Windows OS's yes, is compiled strictly for CUDA cores but Physx runs on the gpus of Xbox 360, Xbox One and PS4, which are all AMD GPU's. So it simply is Nvidia locking users out vs. AMD not being able to run the software. We'll see how Nvidia appreciates the return with Mantle though.

Edited by gpturismo

There was one thing I wanted to ask that didn't seem to be mentioned; for those of us with the odd setup with both cards, will there ever be the possibility of us getting the APEX effects or does using the hybrid setup somehow disable the possibility of using APEX?

(I am currently running both an AMD 7970 and an nVidia GTX 560)

You can, but you have to use a combination of things, such as an older driver before Nvidia locked out their GFX cards running with a non-Nvidia card present, and you have to use a mod to modify the drivers and registry (which technically could be done by hand) to do so. The issue is compatibility as you update your AMD drivers, OS Updates and probably will never be able to run newer nvidia drivers / newer versions of physx.

Not necessarily true. The version for Windows OS's yes, is compiled strictly for CUDA cores but Physx runs on the gpus of Xbox 360, Xbox One and PS4, which are all AMD GPU's. So it simply is Nvidia locking users out vs. AMD not being able to run the software. We'll see how Nvidia appreciates the return with Mantle though.

Any normal CPU can run PhysX. PhysX is the default physics engine for the game, and even if you don't have an Nvidia card you're running the CPU libraries for it.

APEX PhysX is NOT PhysX Physics you see in game, APEX PhysX is proprietary PhysX instructions that can ONLY be executed on the GPU... in this case the countless particles and simulated turbulence fields are the APEX effects. These sorts of calculations would utterly crush a CPU because they're so number heavy and require double precision floating point arithmetic operations--which are something CPUs are AWFUL at doing. CUDA cores on the other hand are designed specifically with those sorts of operations in mind, which is why only CUDA cores can execute APEX PhysX instructions/operations.

You can, but you have to use a combination of things, such as an older driver before Nvidia locked out their GFX cards running with a non-Nvidia card present, and you have to use a mod to modify the drivers and registry (which technically could be done by hand) to do so. The issue is compatibility as you update your AMD drivers, OS Updates and probably will never be able to run newer nvidia drivers / newer versions of physx.

What i mean is that I already have both cards set up, and they work fine in other games, however the physx option in Warframe is still disabled.

Any normal CPU can run PhysX. PhysX is the default physics engine for the game, and even if you don't have an Nvidia card you're running the CPU libraries for it.

APEX PhysX is NOT PhysX Physics you see in game, APEX PhysX is proprietary PhysX instructions that can ONLY be executed on the GPU... in this case the countless particles and simulated turbulence fields are the APEX effects. These sorts of calculations would utterly crush a CPU because they're so number heavy and require double precision floating point arithmetic operations--which are something CPUs are AWFUL at doing. CUDA cores on the other hand are designed specifically with those sorts of operations in mind, which is why only CUDA cores can execute APEX PhysX instructions/operations.

I assume the APEX PhysX is the option in the menu that you don't necessarily have to have enabled. My question was about for the rare cases of users running BOTH ATi cards and nVidia cards (with CUDA cores) will we ever be able to enable it? I haven't tested if APEX is enabled in many other games for me but I do know that the Clothing & Particle APEX seem to be working flawlessly for me in Batman Arkham City. Of course that isn't to the scale that is in Warframe but theoretically it should be possible.

This is my computer which should run the APEX fine (ill need to test other games to see if APEX works in them as well); http://imgur.com/CAGyUZL

What i mean is that I already have both cards set up, and they work fine in other games, however the physx option in Warframe is still disabled.

I assume the APEX PhysX is the option in the menu that you don't necessarily have to have enabled. My question was about for the rare cases of users running BOTH ATi cards and nVidia cards (with CUDA cores) will we ever be able to enable it? I haven't tested if APEX is enabled in many other games for me but I do know that the Clothing & Particle APEX seem to be working flawlessly for me in Batman Arkham City. Of course that isn't to the scale that is in Warframe but theoretically it should be possible.

This is my computer which should run the APEX fine (ill need to test other games to see if APEX works in them as well); http://imgur.com/CAGyUZL

In this case I think it's the manner in which Warframe detects your video cards; currently Warframe only allows APEX PhysX to be enabled if it's being output/displayed by the Nvidia card. It might have to due with the use of Turbulence fields (which is an APEX PhysX effect that Batman Arkham City doesn't use), though it could just be something DE is forcing when it comes to Nvidia Hardware Detection.

In a case like this where you're running with two different video cards from two different manufacturers, I'd suggest actually trying to get in touch with Nvidia to ask about why GPU accelerated PhysX is available in some games and not in others in a multi-card setup like yours.

nVidia does not actually like people using AMD/nVidia setups and newer ForceWare have an active block that will disable the nVidia card if the AMD is detected the last one that allows set-ups like mine is 320.49. PhysX drivers can be installed regardless of version.

Generally in set-ups like mine the nVidia card functions as a PPU (PhysX Processing Unit) which is where I believe the issue lies, as the AMD card is doing most of the work I believe WarFrame disables the PhysX option regardless of the existence of my other card even though if I could enable it it should (theoretically) run fine.

Edited by AlteredCreation

Like I said, Only on Windows are those instructions, here APEX PhysX, restricted to Cuda Cores. It is optimized to Cuda but not restricted to Cuda, for they use the APU arch, primarily the gpu cores on the 360, Xone and PS4 to do Apex Physx. Please read my post more clearly, or say that I wasn't clear enough. :-)

Especially with the R9-290x, which has more streamline processing, bandwidth and raw power than the 780 ti, it can more than easily handle APEX if it was compiled to run on that architecture, which it is not.

Things will change though, especially with Mantle, where developers can use other Physics engines, proprietary or not, across multiple platforms (Xone, PS4 and PC) and not be restricted to one brand on card, it simply wouldn't be optimized for Nvidia Cards, and it allows for more diverse Physics engines and more competition which is always good.

When brands start to do proprietary api's and different developers take advantage of said different API's the only people who lose out are consumers.

nVidia does not actually like people using AMD/nVidia setups and newer ForceWare have an active block that will disable the nVidia card if the AMD is detected the last one that allows set-ups like mine is 320.49. PhysX drivers can be installed regardless of version.

Generally in set-ups like mine the nVidia card functions as a PPU (PhysX Processing Unit) which is where I believe the issue lies, as the AMD card is doing most of the work I believe WarFrame disables the PhysX option regardless of the existence of my other card even though if I could enable it it should (theoretically) run fine.

They use to sell APU/PPU cards. I really wish they would do that again. It would be another branch of income but I highly doubt it since right now with the R9-290x being 30% cheaper than the 780ti and as strong, it's the only advantage they have.

Most games though use basic PhysX, which can be optimized on the CPU because they do not want to put to much weight behind a single card developer. That is why you can turn on the light (non APEX) PhysX on Borderlands to run on the CPU.

Please don't read this as me bashing Nvidia. I love their products. I like AMD's Graphics cards too. Maybe now with more developers using APU arch and multiple threads beyond two for their gaming we might see their processors make some gains.

I mean when FM3 comes out is a 9350 with an R9-290x APU on a single wafer to much to ask for?

It requires modification. GenL hasn't really updated much of his Hybrid PhysX info as of late, as the older drivers don't run well on Windows 8. I think that has been his big work around. Last I read he wants a mod that handles the PPU management hand off without having to directly install the Nvidia Drivers. Again, he hasn't been active as of late.