Jump to content

Reasoning behind the email verification on consoles?


Recommended Posts

Unsure if this has been answered but for what reason (Beside a freebie cosmetic) do we to our send email addresses through in game?

Is this some type a 2-step verification process for consoles?

Does not DE have our email information already?

A little bit confused at this type of process as the post made by DE does not go into a reason why for this.

Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not super sure myself, but if I had to guess it'd probably be for improved verification of your account. Also there's a possibility that folks' e-mail addresses they used to sign up for PSN or XB1 may not necessarily be the e-mail they use for regular correspondence. Also it probably makes it easier for DE to send you information about new releases, upcoming events and related information via e-mail.

While I think that DE probably have players' e-mail addresses associated with their PSN/XB1/NSW accounts, it's also possible that they do not and only have user IDs and not the associated e-mail addresses from the corresponding account service.

 

And I'm probably reaching with this speculation: it may be the first stages of implementing cross-save functionality; after all in order for cross-save to work, all sub/platform accounts would need to be linked under a primary account (or in this case an e-mail address). Though like I said I'm probably reaching with this, so take this speculation with a big ol' grain of salt.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, (PS4)SkuzX said:

Unsure if this has been answered but for what reason (Beside a freebie cosmetic) do we to our send email addresses through in game?

Is this some type a 2-step verification process for consoles?

Does not DE have our email information already?

A little bit confused at this type of process as the post made by DE does not go into a reason why for this.

Thanks

 

Just like Facebook all forms of media are tied to government and backroom information gathering....hell ubisoft is gathering blood types in breakpoint. 

The more interact with it ALL the more trace you have. With enough trace your digital representation becomes your strawman/avatar/social credit/minority report. 

The all seeing eye has many tentacles

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Letter13 said:

Not super sure myself, but if I had to guess it'd probably be for improved verification of your account. Also there's a possibility that folks' e-mail addresses they used to sign up for PSN or XB1 may not necessarily be the e-mail they use for regular correspondence. Also it probably makes it easier for DE to send you information about new releases, upcoming events and related information via e-mail.

While I think that DE probably have players' e-mail addresses associated with their PSN/XB1/NSW accounts, it's also possible that they do not and only have user IDs and not the associated e-mail addresses from the corresponding account service.

 

And I'm probably reaching with this speculation: it may be the first stages of implementing cross-save functionality; after all in order for cross-save to work, all sub/platform accounts would need to be linked under a primary account (or in this case an e-mail address). Though like I said I'm probably reaching with this, so take this speculation with a big ol' grain of salt.

No no no. It's so the robots and lizardmen who control all of the global governments can have an easier time keeping track of who they need to keep tack of, because we obviously have superior skills at battling extraterrestrial threats throughout the solar system. Duh. /s

😜

 

But yeah, what you said is probably right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

No no no. It's so the robots and lizardmen who control all of the global governments can have an easier time keeping track of who they need to keep tack of, because we obviously have superior skills at battling extraterrestrial threats throughout the solar system. Duh. /s

😜

 

But yeah, what you said is probably right. 

america guy GIF

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Letter13 said:

And I'm probably reaching with this speculation: it may be the first stages of implementing cross-save functionality; after all in order for cross-save to work, all sub/platform accounts would need to be linked under a primary account (or in this case an e-mail address). Though like I said I'm probably reaching with this, so take this speculation with a big ol' grain of salt.

I'm inclined for this option

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Letter13 said:

And I'm probably reaching with this speculation: it may be the first stages of implementing cross-save functionality; after all in order for cross-save to work, all sub/platform accounts would need to be linked under a primary account (or in this case an e-mail address). Though like I said I'm probably reaching with this, so take this speculation with a big ol' grain of salt.

That'd be cool and all, but definitely reaching, and unneeded.  Bungie has cross save with Destiny, and you just have to authenticate with each account you want to link.  No added verification, no additional accounts to create, just authenticate like normal, pick your main profile, and off you go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Letter13 said:

Not super sure myself, but if I had to guess it'd probably be for improved verification of your account. Also there's a possibility that folks' e-mail addresses they used to sign up for PSN or XB1 may not necessarily be the e-mail they use for regular correspondence. Also it probably makes it easier for DE to send you information about new releases, upcoming events and related information via e-mail.

While I think that DE probably have players' e-mail addresses associated with their PSN/XB1/NSW accounts, it's also possible that they do not and only have user IDs and not the associated e-mail addresses from the corresponding account service.

 

And I'm probably reaching with this speculation: it may be the first stages of implementing cross-save functionality; after all in order for cross-save to work, all sub/platform accounts would need to be linked under a primary account (or in this case an e-mail address). Though like I said I'm probably reaching with this, so take this speculation with a big ol' grain of salt.

Marketing methinks.

Twitch in 2 days, and DE has always found diverse ways to cross-market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, (PS4)Lollybomb said:

That'd be cool and all, but definitely reaching, and unneeded.  Bungie has 

You're also assuming DE wouldn't have a convoluted verification system. Because it's DE  They aren't Bungie. 

I could totally believe it part of their future cross progression system. We might find out for sure tomorrow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...