Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is skill actually required in Warframe?

(PSN)Ex0gamer0203

A while ago I saw someone say, “This is a classic case of git gud” as a response to someone’s forum. Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about this and it has caused me to question whether you actually need skill in Warframe. 

I have never been too good at video games involving PvP like COD, so that has caused me to lean towards a game like Warframe with its PvE, grinding/looting format. I feel like literally anybody can play Warframe because no skill is required. All you need is time. 

I’m saying the no skill is required because my idea of skill is centered around PvP, so I’m asking this mostly because I want see everyone’s idea of what skill is and get different perspectives. 

Depends on which setups you use for given content.

Some are more demanding than others.

The game is overall quite easy, unless you're minmaxing to the degree of masochism, like me sometimes, trying to reap the benefits of both Sonar and Silence with a high range and the use of operator dashes, or maining snipers, or using no EHP mods on frames in favor of more power/bigger damage numbers for fun.

All in all, everything can be cheesed in Warframe.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Ex0gamer0203 said:

A while ago I saw someone say, “This is a classic case of git gud” as a response to someone’s forum. Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about this and it has caused me to question whether you actually need skill in Warframe. 

I have never been too good at video games involving PvP like COD, so that has caused me to lean towards a game like Warframe with its PvE, grinding/looting format. I feel like literally anybody can play Warframe because no skill is required. All you need is time. 

I’m saying the no skill is required because my idea of skill is centered around PvP, so I’m asking this mostly because I want see everyone’s idea of what skill is and get different perspectives. 

You need basic research skill and YouTube videos to be good at warframe. A hole people in warframe will say get good in warframe if you don’t main certain builds sometimes tho.

43 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

But you do need at least half a brain, and sadly, most people don't have that.

True Statement.

22 minutes ago, (NSW)JJA209 said:

You need basic research skill and YouTube videos to be good at warframe.

Not even. No one needs "Skill" to research something on the web or to be "good" at warframe. YouTube can be sometimes the worse place to find info on Warframe, The Warframe wiki is your best friend if you are starting or need help, and now with the addition of a QnA chat in game, you can use that too for info and help.

I agree, you don't really need skill for Warframe, just time and patience to get the builds that make things easy. I've never been good at PVP either--I have slow reflexes and my aim sucks 🤣 I'm unremarkable in my Warframe playing too, but in my experience there are "no thinking necessary"-style frame and weapon builds for every tier so it's not hard to get to the point where you can do the harder missions for the good mods/blueprints/resources/etc that create the map wipers or immortal tanks. Mostly you just need to retain information in order to be good at Warframe.

The learning curve can be steep but there are lots of people willing to help and there are tons of guides out there. I think it's a great game for anyone, especially since it's free. They just need to be patient and not a total dolt. The people in the questions tab and region are usually pretty nice about answering questions.

God bless the people who contribute to the wiki, though. I probably wouldn't have made it this far into the game without the wiki.

46 minutes ago, Yakhul said:

True Statement.

Not even. No one needs "Skill" to research something on the web or to be "good" at warframe. YouTube can be sometimes the worse place to find info on Warframe, The Warframe wiki is your best friend if you are starting or need help, and now with the addition of a QnA chat in game, you can use that too for info and help.

I was being sarcastic about skill in warframe.Thats true Youtube isn’t the best spot for research but the people at least on switch are not very helpful at all when it comes to how to play. But research is how you get good at warframe at least in my case.

Unless you count pressing 4 to kill/disable most of the map or copy/pasting meta builds as skill then honestly no.

Most of the "skill" in Warframe is in the mobility, you can tell the difference between new and vet players by how they move, combat on the other hand...really doesn't have the depth for skill to blossom.

Even my casual ass can clear out most things with little effort, so yeah it really isn't needed with how obtusely strong we are.

2 hours ago, Aldain said:

Unless you count pressing 4 to kill/disable most of the map or copy/pasting meta builds as skill then honestly no.

Most of the "skill" in Warframe is in the mobility, you can tell the difference between new and vet players by how they move, combat on the other hand...really doesn't have the depth for skill to blossom.

Even my casual ass can clear out most things with little effort, so yeah it really isn't needed with how obtusely strong we are.

Well skill can also determine on how well you build your items as well I believe.

As long as you know how to have some good builds (well, this can be copy pasted easily) and how to use it (Which also isnt a big art there...) i actually dont think you need that much skill. Your equipment mostly does the job. The rest is just knowing how to use it and getting used to thinks in warframe like the hacking system and timing on spy missions.

Define skill. 

You do have to know, more or less, how the game works to have success at it. You can't really lose your way to the top, unlike some other games. If you can't cope with figuring out how and why things work like they do, you probably won't stick with the game for long. 

Some things do work better than others, but as long as you're meeting your goals and progressing you're probably doing something right enough. 

I'd say you need at least some familiarity with the game's controls to really shine. Get the maneuvers under your fingers, learn to lead a shot, be comfortable with a good handful of the weapon types so you can diversify a loadout around certain situations.

Beyond that, the challenges you face are mostly a combination of knowledge checks and gear checks.

ive played since the beginning of warframe, its not very high on skill cap required: not unless you feel like being a idiot and try to solo a tricap with unranked beginner gear, then youd need some degree, but honestly ive only found the difficult part of this game is making builds that AREN'T META bc i prefer to make my own strength not copy others

Thats a tricky question to awnser , we have rather deep parkour system that takes some time to master , this could could as "skilled in movement" .

But then we have something like moding and lets be honnest 99% of time you just slap on copy paste build , but in those rare 1% time you need to have an absolute knowladge of how mods work with each other that may play role in uniqe builds wich you know requires gears and cogs turn in ones noging , aka are you "skilled" in modding ?

So yeah its a tricky question .

Spoiler

Ah what am I kidding , git gud at warframe pro k-driver you scrub.

How rffective you are depends heavily on your gear and equipment. Your actual skill at playing a frame well, setting up good builds, or synergizing with your team. That's to a lesser extent skill.

Warframe pvp is awful not eorth doing.  A new player will have neither the gear or skills to do an ediolon fight, a lich, level 100 plus enemies, etc.

I'd say its 90% gear and 10% actual knowledge/skill.

I'd say the only thing that can be considered "skill" is "spatial awareness", specially in case if a bombard does not die immediately.

And others might argue parkour, and map knowledge (to speedrun through them).

Fighting against the Corpus have the only other general sense of "skill" in a way that you need to aim for the head or else you may not oneshot them because of shield gate. (This is ofc assuming you don't use full toxin or abilities).

On 2020-07-30 at 5:08 PM, (PS4)Ex0gamer0203 said:

Yes exactly like you said. Most of Warframes community are not competitive gamers just smart ass people who like Magic the card playing game. We love how to mod things for synergy and see how the builds turn out. That pretty much sums up the long vets of the game. If DE doesn't give us content to allow us to use these mod skills than it becomes brain dead and thats how many leave.

Archived