New Warframe Xaku? Discussion and feedback...

Just now, (PS4)DoctorWho_90250 said:

Isn't Nezha the second Nezha? Equinox had the "is it male or female?" discourse first.

True, but Equinox doesn't have an autoban phrase embedded in Kickbot.

Personally I just feel like people are going to make a bigger deal out of this than it actually is, and by that I mean acting like fictional characters are real and flying off the handle if somebody does a "he" accidentally.

• Like 1

Since it's a suit of armor (I mean, this Warframe doesn't even look like it came from the Infested), why not just call it, well, it? Should call all the Warframes "it" anyway. Solves all the problems and ends the controversy. Let's stop treating the Warframes themselves as if they're characters with personalities and identities. Use the Operator to represent yourself, as the Operator is the true character.

Edited by OniDax
7 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Uh, I am pretty sure that the idea that "what parts you have" doesn't actually decide your gender"is a fundamental point that a lot of people who refer to themselves as non-binary would generally agree on. 

I would like to clarify a bit, my point wasn't that "male bits = male" but more so that if Xaku had, for example 2 "male" and 1 "female" frame making it up, then referring to it as male/they/it shouldn't be an issue but referring to it as female/they/it could be an issue I could see argued, not saying I would support either just trying to clarify exactly what I meant that if there is no specified gender parts then he/she/it/they should all be acceptable in this situation. And as you said, especially more so when it is a fictional character without any defining personality traits that we have seen.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, PsiWarp said:

Xaku (Xata is the Requiem mod) is alright.

Although Xata's Whisper felt really uninspired, a timed damage buff whoop (Elemental damage augments...), maybe it does something more.

Grasp of Lohk seems to be close range only and has a limited number of affected enemies, plus the stolen weapons also don't last very long. The damage scales with enemy levels which is nice. We don't know what the little Void orb does yet if cast on enemies not holding weapons.

The Lost is three in one, each of the sub-abilities do Void stuff... CC, damage, and debuffs, why not.

The Vast Untime looks so weird! I wonder if the Appearance attachments also get blown off (mah fashionframe). Xaku without their parts is like a Dr. Manhattan cosplay gone wrong, haha. The ability seems to do a few things, need the numbers to see if it's solid or not.

Xata is special but they said it is in the kuva these kuva are living being that lost their bodies following the lore.  This seem the kuva needed these words to actually either kill them for it is seem to be.  This seem to be the orokin uses these symbol an uses of some sort emergency to rid of someone.  If we think about it Ballas was the one with the executioner sword and that was pose to kill the one he beloved but it seem that Natah took the forum how she look for it seem to be she is really human instead to be full orokin.  In the trailer we see other orokin with blue skin and got witness glimps of another orokin being blue color.

At the time being I think these blue group

bmg_tour_thumbnail.jpg?db=web&h=407&la=e

no I mean... the orokins seem to be blue and uses these kuva come back but to think about it why did they didn't uses this req words to actually seal and trap the orokin criminal with?  For it is so it did if we come to think about it, if kuva was pour into a person and make them immortal and make them crazy it is possible they are made to be cephlons, wild man criminals, or something more we don't know they did but it doesn't seem like an execution at all.  It is more of surprising something they fear.

1 minute ago, More-L said:

I would like to clarify a bit, my point wasn't that "male bits = male" but more so that if Xaku had, for example 2 "male" and 1 "female" frame making it up, then referring to it as male/they/it shouldn't be an issue but referring to it as female/they/it could be an issue I could see argued, not saying I would support either just trying to clarify exactly what I meant that if there is no specified gender parts then he/she/it/they should all be acceptable in this situation. And as you said, especially more so when it is a fictional character without any defining personality traits that we have seen.

No I'm not implying that you would try to misgender on purpose, just pointing out that having more of one, or the other, does not really reflect what gender the new frame would be. After all, people can have 100% of one (as most humans usually start off with, and still not see themselves as belonging in that category, right? 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

lol first one up as expected

Not trying to come off badly in any way. Just figure the first thing that would come to mind on an average player's question tier list wouldn't be the pronouns of a character from a video game.

Carry on.

• Like 7
14 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

The in game model looks more feminine. So I’ll refer to Xaku as she.

Yeah, I don't think they should've designed the frame with feminine features if they wanted it to be non-binary. They could've easily had it appear just like a machine instead of trying to give it a gendered design.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

The in game model looks more feminine. So I’ll refer to Xaku as she.

This is how I'll proceed as well. It's not like a biological anthropologist can ask a dead body for their identity, so primary and secondary physical body characteristics are what they'd use for classification. I go for what my eyes see as well without asking.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Also, if Xaku is Non-binary doesn’t that mean we’ll never get a prime of them as nonbinary is not in the prime release pattern?

Good Point 😮

My Operator rejects gender being a binary (social) construct, ergo: non-binary. This non-binary styled Warframe might outwardly help further pronounce my Operator's distancing from conventional and perceived narrow social identity constructs such as 'girl/woman' or 'boy/man' (which simply have stereotypes and assumed behavioural expressions that are unable to accurately nor approximately characterise this particular Operator because they are deviant). That isn't to say that another Operator that comfortably identifies as part of a, say, cis-gendered binary is then necessarily invalidated (it's their own identity and expression, and they are free to identify as such) - which is where I think that perhaps some folk take issue with non-binary identity. Non-binary gender is simply a diverse mixture of expressions that cannot be categorised into the non-inclusive binary social construct (different from trans) as it is used today (or more so yesterday). At the most basic level, it is simply a rejection of the binary. These are social constructs, after all, and therefore prone to evolve with other aspects of society. 

The advantage of having a few non-binary Warframes is to be more inclusive to the community, so that people don't automatically get lumped into a certain group defined by a certain social construct. Beyond that, why is it anybody else's business? Can't we effectively interact (in a video game) with other humans without ever having to know what gendered, anthropic, social construct they chose or chose not to identify with?

Anyway...so, yeah! It's brilliant to see a developer not only add it in, but to also announce it as a feature! They have non-binary styled objects and they aren't afraid to own it! They aren't going about rubbing it into everybody's faces and demanding that non-binary characters strictly refrain from conventional gendering (forcibly becoming agendered instead). We use they/them out of courtesy - that's all. We are free to take a non-binary shell and allow it to lean one way or another by adding in a little personal touch. I hold the opinion that this little feature is commendable, and it does mean a lot of good to some of us. It will go a long way with allowing players to establish a personal connection with their Warframes - much like any other toy over which you are given some creative freedoms and control.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, (PS4)DoctorWho_90250 said:

Isn't Nezha the second Nezha? Equinox had the "is it male or female?" discourse first.

From what I remember, 90% of the Equinox discourse came from a different kind of confusion: we thought Equinox was literally two different people working as one playable character. A brother and a sister. In Chinese "Yin" is a feminine noun and "Yang" is a masculine noun (see also, the romance/latin languages). As soon as DE clarified that Equinox was canonically just one person with shapeshifting abilities, the discourse died out overnight

Nezha is a different can of worms, split between people genuinely confused that the pre-teen boy stretched to the height of a man isn't a woman, and obnoxious jerks who are hiding behind the guise of being genuinely confused to either hate on liberals or just annoy the devs

• Like 1

that's wonderful! I like that they've made it a point to confirm a frame's pronouns, I think it drives home the point that they're not just machines, they're more like symbiotic partners to the Operator.

I think Warframe does a good job on the representation front. allowing a character's gender to be simply a part of their identity rather than the single driving force of their entire character and story is just as important as telling stories about the struggles that trans and nonbinary people face. sometimes we just want to have adventures in space while being trans/nonbinary and not have to justify it to everyone else. even if it's just a Warframe that doesn't speak or act on its own, just normalizing the use of they/them pronouns is helpful. Xaku isn't the nonbinary Warframe, they're the Warframe that's nonbinary, yknow?

Thanks for posting this, I never would have known otherwise 😄

Edited by Esserlon
  • Like 4