Jump to content

An idea for the elusive third orb


Recommended Posts

So as you may or may not know one of the devs said somehwere that they wanted a good idea/reason for the third orb before adding it.

Well I have one.

As we know its in a pond in Orb Vallis mining for something. We know that there was heavy orokin presence on the vallis based on al the ruins. We know that the Nef controls (or atleast can) the orbs. We know the Corpus are greedy by nature and orokin artifacts are quite valuable/of interest to the power brokers in the system.

So here's my idea, Eudico wants to know what the orb is up to, so she sends you to investigate, these bounties will be in phases like the profit taker heists. After some espionage, you realize the that Orb has found the fabled relic vault, and is trying to access it. The tenno must stop it to keep these rare artifacts out of the hands of the corpus, and as a reward for defeating the orb, you get one random vaulted relic.

I believe this is more than fair, as if the relic is random (all with the same drop chance), you wont have people rushing whatever particular vaulted item they want (honestly I'd prefer it be your choice but I'm trying to be "balanced"), and it would create incentive to revisit the content, as compared to Exploiter who there is no reason to after you have Hildryns parts, the articula, and the ephemeras, or Profit Taker who people only grind for Vox Solaris standing, or when they can't stand grinding index for credits anymore.

And before anyone brings up unvaultings no longer generating revenue, you still have to buy the exorbitantly priced accessory packs if you want the cosmetics, so no not really, not to mention as brutal as the grind would be if the relic is random, most people would still opt to just buy the frame (see people who have farmed vs bought: Nidus and Khora).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, triplebaconator2 said:

So here's my idea, Eudico wants to know what the orb is up to, so she sends you to investigate, these bounties will be in phases like the profit taker heists. After some espionage, you realize the that Orb has found the fabled relic vault, and is trying to access it. The tenno must stop it to keep these rare artifacts out of the hands of the corpus, and as a reward for defeating the orb, you get one random vaulted relic.

As someone that doesn’t really need vaulted relics: I don’t see the appeal of your suggestion. We have to fight a boss for something we don’t really need. The random vaulted relic reward is unlikely to be a good incentive, as it would mostly appeal to newer players that need to be carried through the battle. It will also be so much less efficient than farming prime junk to sell. Then just buying what you wanted.

  • The concept is okay. But it just sounds like a complete waste of everyone’s time.
Edited by krc473
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krc473 said:

As someone that doesn’t really need vaulted relics: I don’t see the appeal of your suggestion. We have to fight a boss for something we don’t really need. The random vaulted relic reward is unlikely to be a good incentive, as it would mostly appeal to newer players that need to be carried through the battle. It will also be so much less efficient than farming prime junk to sell. Then just buying what you wanted.

  • The concept is okay. But it just sounds like a complete waste of everyone’s time.

I mean fair, but there isn't much to appeal to veterans period except brand spanking new content.

As for newbs who need to be carried clogging pubs... meh, if you're decent you can solo any content the game throws at you, so carrying isn't a big deal (atleast imo, I can solo everything in the game and couldn't care less if newbs tag along for the ride).

I disagree with the prime junk bit tho (not the statement yes that'd be faster barring exceptional luck), the fall back to everything in the game is "just farm prime junk for a week and buy whatever you want". Thats a fail safe, not actual good game design, we shouldn't have to encourage all the newbs to mindlessly grind fissures, rather than experiencing the game (well besides fissures, they'll be experiencing the bejeesus out of that lol).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, triplebaconator2 said:

I disagree with the prime junk bit tho (not the statement yes that'd be faster barring exceptional luck), the fall back to everything in the game is "just farm prime junk for a week and buy whatever you want"

I agree, but implementing a system where exceptional luck is required to make it even moderately efficient to do the content is also bad design. If there was a way to avoid that, and actually make stuff farmable from your system then I would say yes to it. But people don’t like RNG, stacked on RNG.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krc473 said:

I agree, but implementing a system where exceptional luck is required to make it even moderately efficient to do the content is also bad design. If there was a way to avoid that, and actually make stuff farmable from your system then I would say yes to it. But people don’t like RNG, stacked on RNG.

Well you got me there.

I dunno I just want the third orb and was spit balling lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So your idea for the 3rd Orb fight is to ignore all aspects gameplay and skip straight to the rewards ? 😐

 

what does the Orb Do ? 

how do we defeat it ?

will Abilities work ? 

im more interested in that than being bribed to do a rubbish boss fight.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, triplebaconator2 said:

So as you may or may not know one of the devs said somehwere that they wanted a good idea/reason for the third orb before adding it.

Well I have one.

As we know its in a pond in Orb Vallis mining for something. We know that there was heavy orokin presence on the vallis based on al the ruins. We know that the Nef controls (or atleast can) the orbs. We know the Corpus are greedy by nature and orokin artifacts are quite valuable/of interest to the power brokers in the system.

So here's my idea, Eudico wants to know what the orb is up to, so she sends you to investigate, these bounties will be in phases like the profit taker heists. After some espionage, you realize the that Orb has found the fabled relic vault, and is trying to access it. The tenno must stop it to keep these rare artifacts out of the hands of the corpus, and as a reward for defeating the orb, you get one random vaulted relic.

I believe this is more than fair, as if the relic is random (all with the same drop chance), you wont have people rushing whatever particular vaulted item they want (honestly I'd prefer it be your choice but I'm trying to be "balanced"), and it would create incentive to revisit the content, as compared to Exploiter who there is no reason to after you have Hildryns parts, the articula, and the ephemeras, or Profit Taker who people only grind for Vox Solaris standing, or when they can't stand grinding index for credits anymore.

And before anyone brings up unvaultings no longer generating revenue, you still have to buy the exorbitantly priced accessory packs if you want the cosmetics, so no not really, not to mention as brutal as the grind would be if the relic is random, most people would still opt to just buy the frame (see people who have farmed vs bought: Nidus and Khora).

This sounds like a way to bypass the relic system to get you loot that you want more than it sounds like a justifiable storyline and boss fight mechanic.

Here's the question... does this idea have anything interesting about it besides the loot?  If not then it isn't interesting.

Leave loot out of it, design a boss fight mechanic and storyline and then realize no matter how good it is DE won't pick it up because you already wrote it and own it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...