Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A bit concerned about the Helminth hype...

Tyreaus

So...am I the only one looking at this Helminth ability replacement idea and seeing a future massive letdown?

I see a lot of people hoping to get Trinity's Energy Vampire, or hoping it's not Chroma's 1 (though some abilities are getting buffed), or talking about how almost anything from Octavia or Protea would be stupid good. And while they're probably right on the lattermost of those, the hopes for EV or not Chroma's 1 don't seem terribly promising. As far as I can see, DE is likely to go for the lowest denominator, and that probably means a number of Warframes aren't going to feel worth subsuming. See, e.g., Chroma if it's his 1, Loki if it's his 1 or 3, Excalibur with his 3.... You're not exactly encouraged to replace a cruddy ability if the replacement option is another cruddy ability. And while there are a few outliers like Octavia or Protea where just about anything from their kits would be effective, that leaves a very large probability space of ineffective ability pulls from everything else. The odds seem really low for this to meet player expectations.

On the other hand, if they had made new abilities themed after the Warframes and balanced those specifically for this system...IDK...

2 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

So...am I the only one looking at this Helminth ability replacement idea and seeing a future massive letdown?

There is literally nothing DE could do that won't be a massive letdown to people who let their expectations run wild and refuse to read anything about the system in the first place.

While this may be true, one warframes less used ability could create synergy with another frames abilities. We have already seen that Frost’s Ice Wave and Wukong’s celestial clone are among those to remove. Both of those are fairly decent abilities that I could use effectively on several frames. Yes the hype is high and some will be disappointed, but let’s try to not hype or judge until the update actually hits. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

7 minutes ago, Aldain said:

There is literally nothing DE could do that won't be a massive letdown to people who let their expectations run wild and refuse to read anything about the system in the first place.

That's true, but at the same token, it feels like there are some places they've painted themselves into a corner. Loki, for example, is probably going to get his 1 or 3 that are pretty crappy by themselves. But the alternative is to give something that's quite powerful - and quite staple - in his 2 or 4. Conversely, just about anything from Octavia or Protea is going to be really effective, likely above and beyond most other ability pulls.

IDK, there are just a lot of things about the proposed system that don't hit the right way to me...

What hype exactly? The have showed off the concept. They have said more information is forthcoming. 

If people let their minds run wild with anticipation and whip themselves into a frenzy before even knowing the full picture that's on them. 

Now a person with full control of their faculties with a modicum of restraint will step back and wait to have the full picture before making a decision on what to expect. If someone is unable to do that, well then they deserve to be disappointed or elated depending on their thought process.

tea gossip GIF

Of course it will be a let down if people expect good signature abilities to be able to be used on other Warframe.

Trinity's 2, 3 n 4 defines her, so I'm only seeing her 1 is possible. Yes Chroma 1 is universal too.

I've taken it upon myself to do the only thing that I can - provide information in a clean, unbiased, non-speculative manner.

If you don't mind shameless self-promotion, then here, this is my thread dedicated precisely to that. Hopefully, the more real information is out there, the more realistic expectations. It's not going to help massively, but I do what I can.

To me, its already a really good system. Its a crafting material sink and adds a lot of customization.

Doesn't matter if are only weak abilities, it still is 40+ abilities to choose from, some abilities in certain Warframes might become really good. Like someone said on YT, everyone saying Pull is useless but Hidroid Puddle + Pull or Greed Pull + Nekros might become meta for these frames.

As a Rhino main, I'm already happy with the Empower skill from Helminth. That alone might change how I play him.

Hype for my ash build since my main ash

For ash main i will replace skill

1. Buff skill like vex armor

2. Nidus skill 2 (if DE add it)

3. Cloud walker

As Ash main i prefer tank buil with nikana zaw melee life steal (with daikyu special mod) and exodia brave

+ unairu focus arcane ultimatum and guardian

U will see this ash like a vampire ninja

7 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I've taken it upon myself to do the only thing that I can - provide information in a clean, unbiased, non-speculative manner.

If you don't mind shameless self-promotion, then here, this is my thread dedicated precisely to that. Hopefully, the more real information is out there, the more realistic expectations. It's not going to help massively, but I do what I can.

Actually, thanks for posting this. Maximum signal boosting.

Also drawing attention to "only one ability can be custom per frame". That kind of sucks because it means I can't make Loki into a stealth healer (or just better in general) but, eh...

20 minutes ago, --F--NerevarCM said:

To me, its already a really good system. Its a crafting material sink and adds a lot of customization.

Doesn't matter if are only weak abilities, it still is 40+ abilities to choose from, some abilities in certain Warframes might become really good. Like someone said on YT, everyone saying Pull is useless but Hidroid Puddle + Pull or Greed Pull + Nekros might become meta for these frames.

As a Rhino main, I'm already happy with the Empower skill from Helminth. That alone might change how I play him.

Yeah, you can click on enemies to PULL them into the puddle, but its 1 at a time and uses energy. With this, you can PULL a horde into the puddle.

Sadly, Corroding Barrage doesnt strip all armor anymore.

26 minutes ago, carrymaker said:

Hype for my ash build since my main ash

For ash main i will replace skill

1. Buff skill like vex armor

2. Nidus skill 2 (if DE add it)

3. Cloud walker

As Ash main i prefer tank buil with nikana zaw melee life steal (with daikyu special mod) and exodia brave

+ unairu focus arcane ultimatum and guardian

U will see this ash like a vampire ninja

You'll only be able to replace one skill.

Yea im not a fan of putting warframe abilities on other warframe. Warframes should stay unique from other warframes. If loki got a ability u like then play loki same goes for every frame. And i was hoping for something big goin into next gen. Im sure a infested world wasn't surprising to players i seen it coming years ago

Remember, when each skill had to be activated by a mod in the loadout?

People replaced the mods for bad abilities with other warframe mods. The devs did not like the minmaxing, so the took away this customization option.

While I recognize the differences between the two systems, I also see many similarities and the danger of power creep and less diversity.

Archived