Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennogen Request: Dax Style Excalibur Skin

Bricks

Now, I know people generally say Excalibur has too many skins already, but this is an idea I've had for a while and I hope you'll hear me out.

The idea is to make a skin and helmet based on the design of Umbra's original dax form. It could, therefore be primarily designed to fit well with Excalibur Umbra while also looking good enough on its own to be used on Excaliburs and Excalibur Primes. It would likely be something of a mix between the style of Excalibur Umbra and his original Dax form. 

Below I have included the portrait of Umbra ingame as well as the items which follow his color scheme as a reminder of what may be the primary point of reference for this skin. Teshin and the steel path operator armor sets would likely also make good pieces of reference.

FhOjZ9d.jpg
YjL0SH6.png

Edit: Upon inspectionI am unsure if a Dax styled skin would be allowed since it is not explicitly listed under the accepted factions on the style guide, but this post shouldn't hurt anything to at least get the idea floating around.

We are getting Hydroid deluxe who looks very similar to this cool direction and he is going to bee even better to costume.... And you can change his power to bee from excal so you can mix something from that... But yea it wuold bee interesting faction to see, maybe new qust for beginners will make designers bee creative in that direction, because cinematic suggests dax soldiers will bee involved in that quest... So maybe some of them will bee inspired to create something in that style. 

Good idea, but we can't yet design anything for Daxes, as they are not fully established faction yet. Will be same situation as with Sentient, before they got a big expansion and solidified design rules, we couldn't make their skins.

1 hour ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Was thinking the same as it would be fitting for Umbra.

Also with the recent Deimos reveal got an idea for a "Necra" line of skins and cosmetics but guess it will need to be first updated with Entrati as a faction in the allowed factions. Considering both open-world factions were included it's a matter of time.

Honestly I can see the Necralisk/Entrati faction theme being allowed for TennoGen, but it would probably be heavily restricted in terms of design and color palette, similar to the Sentient guidelines, in order to make sure people aren't making indirect Orokin items. It would probably be hard to manage, especially with the way how skulls are incorporated into the Necra designs but direct references to facial structures (besides 'eyes' for the most part) aren't allowed.

21 hours ago, Scruffel said:

Honestly I can see the Necralisk/Entrati faction theme being allowed for TennoGen, but it would probably be heavily restricted in terms of design and color palette, similar to the Sentient guidelines, in order to make sure people aren't making indirect Orokin items. It would probably be hard to manage, especially with the way how skulls are incorporated into the Necra designs but direct references to facial structures (besides 'eyes' for the most part) aren't allowed.

Yeah which is a shame if it happens, while I understand the need for these restictions to avoid orokin/prime looking stuff it also gets in the way of other stuff like this, like Ostron faction also has gold as one of it's colors considering it's somewhat based on the Orokin but obviously doesn't look like it. Same case here with the Entrati since they are Orokin based but with their own style. So yeah, placing those limits would really hurt the theme.

And yeah the skulls are a key element of the style so they would have to be included obviously, while we can't use actual facial features on the helmets themselve maybe there's a way around it, using skull masks instead which would be part of the helmet, have currently 4 frames in mind for the theme, one of them being Limbo who has the skull mask being a part of his hat so that he removes it along with the mask revealing his "face" so to say.

But yeah have the idea of 8 warframes being part of the line, each being marked with one of the parazon mod symbols considering there is a lore connection to them here, but would need to work out details once the update is out and the lore behind each symbol uncovered to find suitable matches.

11 hours ago, OniDax said:

They accepted the Apex skin, and that is influenced by the Dax style.

Are you sure that it is? I'm not seeing any correlation between it and any type of Dax-related items in the game, and there seems to be no mention of it being inspired by the artist.

1 hour ago, Scruffel said:

Are you sure that it is? I'm not seeing any correlation between it and any type of Dax-related items in the game, and there seems to be no mention of it being inspired by the artist.

I'm the artist (OniDax here on the forums, formerly A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n, and antoineflemming on Steam and Reddit), and I can guarantee you that it is inspired by Dax armor. Specifically, the chest, shoulders, and forearms are all inspired by Dax armor. The shoulders you can't see on Teshin, but you can see them on the Arbiters of Hexis, who also wear Dax armor. DE never said there was a problem with the skin being Dax-styled, but that might be because the skin was a mix of Dax and Tenno styles.

Images for Reference:

Teshin:

Teshin.png

bBQ73JQ.jpg

81BF489493CFF07578D14C229094B71B3F371F4A

maxresdefault.jpg

Excalibur Apex:

fe974935f8bd12e63163f91761a24b5e.jpg

Arbiters of Hexis:

arbiters_of_hexis_render_by_antoineflemm

2 hours ago, OniDax said:

I'm the artist (OniDax here on the forums, formerly A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n, and antoineflemming on Steam and Reddit), and I can guarantee you that it is inspired by Dax armor. Specifically, the chest, shoulders, and forearms are all inspired by Dax armor. The shoulders you can't see on Teshin, but you can see them on the Arbiters of Hexis, who also wear Dax armor. DE never said there was a problem with the skin being Dax-styled, but that might be because the skin was a mix of Dax and Tenno styles.

Images for Reference:

Reveal hidden contents

Teshin:

Teshin.png

bBQ73JQ.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Excalibur Apex:

Arbiters of Hexis:

Okay I will admit, I do see some design similarities on the chest area in relation to Dax armor. But I think your skin was more about being inspired by the Dax designs rather than directly using them. Kinda similar to the Sentient Slayer skin (coincidentally also an Excalibur skin), which got accepted way before the Sentient faction was allowed, but that skin was more inspired by the faction rather than trying to use it. So that goes back to the original topic of making a Dax skin through TennoGen, which most likely would be denied as it's not an allowed faction for it.

With some skin and extra gold material we can have his look but helmet is 1 big thing that we actually need so that he can bee in his design direction.... And now having arma armor attachments maybe someone can create to be cloth around that arms to look like dax soldiers that they have and combine all that in 1 for perfect dax style... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-08-09 at 10:06 AM, OniDax said:

Images for Reference:

Hide contents

Teshin:

Teshin.png

bBQ73JQ.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Excalibur Apex:

Arbiters of Hexis:

I think I can see some similarities between Apex, Hexis, and the Dax chestplate and forearms at least. Perhaps more so in your new 2020 remaster (which seems very nice).   
However, the primary inspiration (at least for the 2018 version) is the CryNet Nanosuit 2.0a armor, isn't it?
Regardless, some day if DE allows Dax as a faction for Tennogen I think I would still enjoy a directly Dax armor for Excalibur drawing inspiration on Umbra if possible.

40 minutes ago, Bricks said:

I think I can see some similarities between Apex, Hexis, and the Dax chestplate and forearms at least. Perhaps more so in your new 2020 remaster (which seems very nice).   
However, the primary inspiration (at least for the 2018 version) is the CryNet Nanosuit 2.0a armor, isn't it?
Regardless, some day if DE allows Dax as a faction for Tennogen I think I would still enjoy a directly Dax armor for Excalibur drawing inspiration on Umbra if possible.

It's kinda a mix of both in terms of inspiration. The color (particularly the black and red parts) are certainly inspired by Nanosuit 2.0a. It would be nice to have a skin that looks more like the Dax armor. I'd even be ok with having a Umbra Dax skin for Excal, face and all, since he looks so cool.

Also, yeah, my remastered version looks a bit closer to the Dax armor. Still trying to get a response from DETaylor as to whether or not they'll consider updating the skin.

• 1 month later...
On 2020-09-02 at 7:45 PM, Ascythian said:

This.

While Excalibur may have a lot of skins, as far as I know there have not been skins made tailored to Umbra specifically.
If allowed some day, I think something riffing off is former life as a Dax could be nice choice for this.

12 hours ago, 3dasp said:

I created this "Flux" Excalibur skin with both of these things in mind. Tried to keep things smooth and simple to pair nicely with the clean curves of Umbra. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2090015306&searchtext=

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

This is interesting design, but this skin needs PBR and some parts of the skin and helmet is missing little more detail to look more modern. At first second from mini image looks cook but in close you can see something is missing... And 1 more thing, dax soldiers are full with metal texture parts... 

On 2020-10-07 at 2:49 AM, Vlada91 said:

This is interesting design, but this skin needs PBR and some parts of the skin and helmet is missing little more detail to look more modern. At first second from mini image looks cook but in close you can see something is missing... And 1 more thing, dax soldiers are full with metal texture parts... 

It actually is pbr, I think that what you're seeing is that the lighting is cranked up a bit, and so reflections are looking very bright. As far as  the Dax thing's concerned, I was still working within the materials and design rules of the Tenno, but just had some inspiration from the Dax, and ninja styles that were a great source of inspiration for the Dax, in my estimation.

Archived