Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hanxin, the boardgame (chess) frame

Gashabae

Hanxin

A Warframe loosely based on the game of chess.

Base Statistics

Health - 100 (300 at max rank)

Shield - 100 (300 at max rank)

Armour - 100

Energy - 200 (300 at max rank)

Sprint - 1.0

Gender - Male

Passive

Pawns

Upon death enemies drop little lights that glow according to energy colour, these are called pawns. A max of 100 pawns can be collected and are used to cast Hanxin's abilities. Ability pawn cost is unmodifiable. Innate 10 meter pawn vacuum.

Abilities

All ability stats are subject to change.

1. Castling - 25 energy 

Hanxin creates a bubble around himself disabling explosive projectiles, destroying traps, and stopping enemies from approaching him. If Hanxin is immobile for 3 seconds the bubble range is increased. Other projectiles may still damage Hanxin but the damage dealt will be multiplied and returned as TrueDmg b True damage affected by strength mods. This lasts for 24 seconds. If melee range is below the bubble radius it will be extended to match it.

Spoiler

Strength

• 1.5x / 2.25x / 3.5x / 4.25x (TrueDmg b True damage multiplier)

Range

• 20% / 30% / 40% / 50% (immobile range increase)

Duration

• 12 / 16 / 20 / 24 s  (bubble duration)

Misc

• 0.75 / 1.5 / 2.0 / 2.75 m (bubble radius)
  • 3 s (immobile range delay)

2. Command - 50 energy + pawn cost (determined by each individual sub-ability)

Hanxin uses pawns for a number of different effects. 

Pin - 20 pawns (extra pawns will be refunded)

Each pawn seeks out and attaches to an enemy within 15 meters of Hanxin. These pawns can stack twice on an enemy. If a single pawn is attached to an enemy they will be immobile. If a second pawn is attached to an enemy their weapon will be disabled. Pin will prioritize putting a single pawn on all enemies before stacking a second. Melee units can only be affected by a single pawn. This lasts for 12 seconds.

Promotion - 1 pawn

Hanxin will convert 20% of his weapons damage to adaptive elemental damage. This lasts for 12 seconds.

Fork - 1 pawn per enemy

Hanxin targets enemies in a cone in front of him sending out pawns. Each pawn seeks out and attaches to an enemy dealing 2400 damage then linking to the two closest  enemies. After a short delay active pawns will explode dealing 8% of the average health of the three enemies as Impact b Impact damage. If the initial target dies right away the damage will scale off of 8% of their health. The links can stack multiple times across crowds of enemies but each enemy can only have one pawn attached to them.

Spoiler

Strength

• 600 / 1200 / 1800 / 2400 (Initial Impact b Impact damage, Fork)

Range

• 8 / 10 / 12 / 15 m (radius, Pin)
  • 8 / 10 / 12 / 15 m (initial range, Fork)
  • 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 m (link range, Fork)
  • 30 / 38 / 46 / 55 ° (target angle, Fork)

Duration

• 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 s (duration, Promotion)
  • 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 s (duration, Pin)

Misc

• 20% (adaptive damage conversion, Promotion)
  • 8% (health to damage scaling, Fork)
  • 1.5 s (explosion delay, Fork)

3. Gambit - 75 energy + 1 pawn drain

Hanxin begins building armour using pawns. This increases his armour by 100 per pawn lasting for 24 seconds. If Hanxin runs out of pawns before the duration ends he will no longer be able to increase armour for the ability duration. Each time Hanxin is damaged by an enemy they will inherit one of his pawns reducing his armour by 100, this will be put on a short cooldown. That enemy will have their defences reduced by 25% and receive a brief stagger, this can stack until armour is fully removed. If an enemy who inherited a pawn dies they will drop bonus pawns equal to the number of pawns they inherited. Holding the ability key will deactivate Gambit allowing it to be recast.

Spoiler

Strength

• 25 / 50 / 75 / 100 (armour increase per second)
  • 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% (defence reduction per pawn)

Duration

• 0.5 / 0.75 / 1.0 / 1.5 s (cooldown)
  • 12 / 16 / 20 / 24 s 

4. Rank & File - 100 energy + 25 pawns

Hanxin creates a board around him with each pawn being an equal 4.5 meters away from each other. Enemies who enter this area are forced to play by his rules. Every other 6 seconds the game will alternate between Hanxin's turn and his enemies' turn. While it is Hanxin's turn all enemies will be frozen and more vulnerable to damage. They will also have an increased chance at dropping an extra pawn on death. When it is his enemies' turn they will be allowed to move and have an increased chance of dropping additional loot on death. Only one board can be present at any given time. This lasts for 24 seconds.

Spoiler

Strength

• 100% / 125% / 150% / 175% (damage vulnerability)
  • 40% / 45% / 50% / 55% (additional pawn drop chance)

Range

• 2.5 / 3 / 3.75 / 4.5 m (cell dimensions)

Duration

• 12 / 16 / 20 / 24 s 
  • 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 s (alternating turn duration)

Misc

• 25% / 30% / 35% / 45% (drop table chance)
  • 1 (board count cap)

Thanks for reading!

- Good Luck, Have Fun -

While it sounds like a fun idea, having a warframe that is inherently unable to cast any ability from the start usually doesn’t work well with most gameplay styles. Think If you had Excalibur and he could use radial javelin twice before his energy pool was completely depleted. 

Perhaps if 2 out of the 4 abilities require pawns, similar to Nidus stacks, it would be a more fluid use frame. Lower pawn cost and allow at the very least, one ability to be purely energy dependent. Just a suggestion.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Kamranos said:

While it sounds like a fun idea, having a warframe that is inherently unable to cast any ability from the start usually doesn’t work well with most gameplay styles. Perhaps if 2 out of the 4 abilities require pawns, similar to Nidus stacks, it would be a more fluid use frame. Just a suggestion.

The abilities are based off of the current pawns. So say he has 10 pawns, then his first would cost 2 pawns with a much lower duration but it would still cast. I see what you mean and that was kind of my work around for it. I might need to make a few changes if it is still a problem.

I think the pawn thing is a good idea, but i'd rather put it on only 2 abilities, and maybe a third, where it increases duration. I'd definetly make atleast 1 a kill ability that only costs energy. Otherwise i find the board pretty creative, and the pawns pretty good aswell.

Edit: Also the percentile cost is a bad idea. Just give it a set duration and have the pawns increase that duration

25 minutes ago, Gashabae said:

The abilities are based off of the current pawns. So say he has 10 pawns, then his first would cost 2 pawns with a much lower duration but it would still cast. I see what you mean and that was kind of my work around for it. I might need to make a few changes if it is still a problem.

I’m thinking about it similar to Nidus or Baruuk. Both have “stack” based abilities but both have abilities that allow them to gain stacks outside of simply killing enemies. I get what you mean but at the same time, all current stack based frames have the ability to cast something outside of their stack requirements for functionality. The only warframe I know of that is purely dependent on a secondary specific “energy” source is Hildryn with her shields, but again can cast something from the moment of spawn. How would someone stealth with a character that requires kills to unlock abilities?

The other problem is the x% of pawns. This means have two pawns cost 1 to use their fourth ability but later in the very same mission it could cost someone 50 simply due to the % that they have collected. It destroys the concept of efficiency with ability usage.

5 hours ago, Gashabae said:

(deleted)

(deleted)

Edit: I just changed the way his 3rd ability works and changed the pawn costs all around. Thoughts?

The changes are pretty good, I would still see problems with abilities costing pawns, but it looks alright

Also, the 4th could last until one of the sides have been defeated. It only makes sense, you wouldnt just drop a game of chess to shoot your oponent irl

8 hours ago, Cheese_Moon said:

The changes are pretty good, I would still see problems with abilities costing pawns, but it looks alright

Well the resource has to be used in some way and the costs have been reduced to practically nothing in some cases. His first has no cost. Promotion and Fork are very low as is. Gambit's drain seems pretty easy to keep up with. The only two abilities with a significant cost are Pin, which will refund if more pawns are sent out than needed, and Rank & File, which increases their chance at dropping a second pawn making it worth using despite the cost. 

8 hours ago, Cheese_Moon said:

Also, the 4th could last until one of the sides have been defeated. It only makes sense, you wouldnt just drop a game of chess to shoot your oponent irl

So if there are no more enemies within the area of his 4th then it would end? (If that's not what you meant please do correct me). The only problem I have with that is the cost of 25 pawns is a bit steep if that's the case and it kind of needs to be a square number- 4/9/16/25/36/etc. The number 25 just seemed like it'd be large enough and look the best without costing too many pawns despite an actual board being 8x8 = 64 pawns (which is way too many pawns). I was thinking maybe limiting the fighting within his fourth between the two sides meaning no one off the board can damage him and he can't damage them while on the board. The problem with that is it would be far too similar to Limbo's Cataclysm. Kinda stumped on that front ngl.

Edit: I'm gonna add the ability to refund a pawn from enemies who inherited a pawn via Gambit. So if they die they will drop 2 pawns. That should help with the drain a bit more.

• 1 month later...

Archived