Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best damage types again Corpus on Steel Path?

(PSN)sister-hawk

I’m working my way through the steel path, and nothing has brought me to a dead stop yet. But I just find myself really struggling to feel effective against corpus. Grineer I know are tough to kill, but a viral/heat/slash or corrosive build (depending on the weapon) takes care of them easily enough. But I just can’t figure out what damage type to use against corpus. It’s really their shields that I’m struggling with. I can build magnetic/toxin and rip their shields apart in no time, but the toxin damage does so little against their health that it ends up being faster to just use a viral slash build, but even that doesn’t feel great.

I can’t tell if it’s just because I’m used to Corpus being so much easier to kill, or if I’m just using the wrong type of damage. So has anyone found particular success with anything against corpus? Or should I just embrace the sponge?

It might be down to the weapon you use. If you're struggling against the shields, but Toxin isn't getting through health well (against Ospreys and robotics, it won't do spectacular), then Magnetic + Slash might be a better pick - one to wipe through the shields, the other to bleed through the health. That may mean a crit primary (for Hunter Munitions) modded for Magnetic. Probably a full-auto weapon, ideally, both for HM proc reliability and shield gating.

There's also the possibility of using something like the Kuva Karak with Magnetic base, so you can have Mag + Viral + Slash (both HM and proc). I can imagine that doing quite well.

Or, like I have, you can go ham on a Slash-proccing melee weapon like a Nikana Prime with Blood Rush, Weeping Wounds, and Decisive Judgement. Pretty much everything falls apart and you can play up the whole movie ninja "sheathe the sword and the enemy falls apart a second after" shtick.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

I can build magnetic/toxin and rip their shields apart in no time, but the toxin damage does so little against their health that it ends up being faster to just use a viral slash build, but even that doesn’t feel great.

What's your weapon and build? Usually I can tear through any enemy with ease

21 minutes ago, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

I’m working my way through the steel path, and nothing has brought me to a dead stop yet. But I just find myself really struggling to feel effective against corpus. Grineer I know are tough to kill, but a viral/heat/slash or corrosive build (depending on the weapon) takes care of them easily enough. But I just can’t figure out what damage type to use against corpus. It’s really their shields that I’m struggling with. I can build magnetic/toxin and rip their shields apart in no time, but the toxin damage does so little against their health that it ends up being faster to just use a viral slash build, but even that doesn’t feel great.

I can’t tell if it’s just because I’m used to Corpus being so much easier to kill, or if I’m just using the wrong type of damage. So has anyone found particular success with anything against corpus? Or should I just embrace the sponge?

viral/electric

if you can cheese a mag/viral kuva gun you might never stop laughing. otherwise I am not sure why toxin doesn't do it for you, other than the new tileset only using elite crewmen, which have bloated health pools. use a bigger gun, or melee, try switching tox for heat. or do even more toxin. or try viral/heat or viral/electricity

So it sounds like The issue is Your Toxin isn't high enough...

In which case... Use more Toxin Mods, increase status chance to improve consistency, add a Primed Faction Mod, add crits...  And last but not least... Find some way to deal Viral and Toxin Damage at the same time.

I don't bother with Magnetic... Takes too long...

24 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

What's your weapon and build? Usually I can tear through any enemy with ease

Well the real issue for me is dealing with the high enemy numbers in defense solo. Like I can take my secondary Gaze kitgun modded for viral heat and kill any individual Corpus pretty quickly, like a couple seconds. But when there are donzens and dozens of guys in the room at one time that just takes way too long. So I thought maybe I’ll try Shedu for the AoE, and there’s no combo of elements that feels good. Viral slash still remains the most effective, ironically.

But if that’s just how it is that’s fine, I just couldn’t tell if i was doing something wrong or what.

Depending on mission, I used either Toxin Kuva Chakkhurr or Radiation Kuva Chakkhurr (e.g. Ambulas for Radiation).

For Mutalist Alad V, I used a 100% status Magnetic Sarpa primarily to ensure his shields NEVER recharge... and that's the only advantage of Magnetic, it stops shields from recharging. There's no reason to use it beyond Treasurers otherwise. Toxin bypasses the shields... Shields are a waste of time.

I go for Kuva Nukor with innate magnetic against corpus, and Stropha with Condition Overload crit Blood Rush combo efficiency build. I havent needed to use the heavy attacks yet, as priming enemies with Nukor to up the CO is enough after a few combos. Viral does feel a bit less efficient than it could be in that Nukor against Corpus yeah. Nukor and Stropha are both great against groups.

13 minutes ago, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

Well the real issue for me is dealing with the high enemy numbers in defense solo. Like I can take my secondary Gaze kitgun modded for viral heat and kill any individual Corpus pretty quickly, like a couple seconds. But when there are donzens and dozens of guys in the room at one time that just takes way too long. So I thought maybe I’ll try Shedu for the AoE, and there’s no combo of elements that feels good. Viral slash still remains the most effective, ironically.

But if that’s just how it is that’s fine, I just couldn’t tell if i was doing something wrong or what.

To me, it sounds like you're using the wrong weapons. Shedu is only good for spreading status for Condition Overload, and Gaze secondary kitgun is, not great for Steel Path. 

I found the Battacor to be a decent primary for SPCorpus. Modded mine for CC/CD HM and Viral. I think Heat is also on there, don't remember? 

Viral Magnetic Kuva Nukor + Condition Overload ToxicRadiation Sacrificial Stropha will delete enemies. 

Anything Kuva should work, modded correctly

Only ones I have trouble with are the Coin Dudes. I can solo the lower level SP ones but I can't kill them before they can escape around Jupiterish

27 minutes ago, (XB1)CaligulaTwily said:

To me, it sounds like you're using the wrong weapons. Shedu is only good for spreading status for Condition Overload, and Gaze secondary kitgun is, not great for Steel Path.

Well those aren’t the only weapons I’m using, just an example. But I’ll have to disagree with you about the Gaze. Everyone thinks it’s weak but I find it to be doing just fine, for individual targets anyway. And I see other people suggesting Kuva Quartakk, which is like my go-to primary most of the time. But again, though it may blow single targets out of the water, using it against the overwhelming number of enemies that spawn during defense just takes way too long for me.

I’ll just try a more melee focused build and see if that does any better.

36 minutes ago, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

Well those aren’t the only weapons I’m using, just an example. But I’ll have to disagree with you about the Gaze. Everyone thinks it’s weak but I find it to be doing just fine, for individual targets anyway. And I see other people suggesting Kuva Quartakk, which is like my go-to primary most of the time. But again, though it may blow single targets out of the water, using it against the overwhelming number of enemies that spawn during defense just takes way too long for me.

I’ll just try a more melee focused build and see if that does any better.

The Gaze is plenty powerful for single targets like Capture Guys, it just doesn't have the ability to quickly status, crowd control, or kill multiple targets. Shedu is better choice than Gaze for SP, not because of killing potential but Status (for CO) and Crowd Control. I think for Primary/secondary, Status and AoE is more important than Damage, because Melee is so powerful with CO. Viral Toxin should beat Viral Slash against Corpus, but it's tough getting that combo on a single weapon. Magnetic can be completely ignored except for CO primer

11 hours ago, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

Every single Defense mission I wanted it over fast so I took a speed nova, dropped an Ancient healer and annihilated them with a toxin melee. Sure they'll hit the pod and they're sped up to do more damage but it's only 5 waves and the ancient healer will protect it enough. Net result, defense missions in Steel Path took 4 minutes.

Archived