Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash Feedback.

[DE]Momaw

In my appparently ongoing saga of having minority opinions,

1.) Shuriken. Does a rather nice amount of damage at low levels, a great way to get rid of inconvenient heavies. Like many offensive abilities, loses a lot of steam later on because it doesn't scale as well as your weapons do. It kind of feels like this should be cheaper, to be more spammable for damage, or it should be more useful in a utility sense. My suggestion would be to have it do relatively little damage, but give more shuriken to hit more targets per throw and inflict a damage resistance debuff for a few seconds on whatever you hit  Throw a handful of shuriken, run in and slash everything to bits while they are vulnerable. Much more dynamic. The way it is right now, just a straight up damage pulse, you have to compare it against dropping a smoke bomb for a little more energy and getting in a ton of free hits on whatever you want.

2.) Smoke bomb. No complaints. Very potent.

3.) Teleport.  ...   Why. I need line of sight to an entity to teleport. I can't go to a PLACE, if I teleport to a monster it's probably going to turn around and slap me, and if I wanted to teleport to a downed team mate I would need line of sight which reduces its potential usefulness by an order of magnitude.  I dismounted this and never missed it. If it were combined with a distraction mechanic (something like Saryn's molt) so that everything didn't turn on you in an instant after you teleport, it would be more useful.

4.) Blade Storm. This one is....strange.  The AOE/target selection is unreliable and I frequently do not get the number of target hits I'm supposed to. The damage is hit or miss, usually everything dies but sometimes it doesn't. Oddness. It makes you invulnerable for the duration of the thing which seems to be a major aspect of it.  The freaky camera moves are REALLY disorienting and sometimes it takes a few seconds before I even realize that I've got control back. I'd like to suggest overhaul on this make it into more interactive power instead of just Yet Another Radial Win Button.  Something like: Ash is fully healed and gains 10 seconds of 50% damage reduction. His melee damage is increased by 200%.  Every time Ash makes a kill with melee, the time on Blade Storm is extended and the damage bonus increases. A hard cap on the duration prevents this from being indefinite. This makes it a survival ability AND it scales with level AND it's more interactive and player-based instead of what we have now.

Well, I think Ash's ulti just needed faster animation and an ending special effects, something like gushing air around it when it returns to the spot.

On a side note, using the ulti on enemies on stairs may cause ash to be stuck under stairs.

iviewcapture_date_19_10_2013_time_18_36_

(Didnt notice if the enemy was ragdolled or not)

I love Ash' ulti for those awkward moments you slide into a room full of baddies. Pop that up and watch some kill moves while waiting for the rest of your squaddies to arrive. Solo? Smoke bomb out of there if there are still baddies left.

Ash has always been about style to me. Utility wise, he shines every now and then. Depends on the situations. I don't need him but I won't be getting rid of him anytime soon.

Aye. I love Ash - he is one of my main frames and is potent competitor to Loki, for solo farming. His Smoke bomb make the sentinel invisible too, so +proper mods [great chance for loot, Master thief, Rush] you can storm in Orokin Void mission on 3th tier and rush it to the end. I didn't need any other skill than Smoke screen and Teleport.

But, yes! I think it need a little 'cleaning and rubbing around the edges'.

- Shuriken - as Momaw says, is nice skill but useless on higher level. I found it totally useless []on each level] and use it only when my secondary objective says: spam 10 times your first ability. lol. Is nice that you can make head shot and DE add second shuriken, but still - aiming is difficult and effect degrade seriously with level of the enemies. As in 'real' ninja lore - i prefer shuriken to be more utility tool, not dmg - or if it will be - to be a bit more potent.

Suggestion = lower dmg, but stagger/stun enemies. OR, lower dmg, but cloud of shurikens, as Momaw suggested.  

Suggestion 2 = well, this is clearly brainstorming, but why not a bit more utility - skill stays like now - two shurikens on max tier, but if not hit enemy, it stays on the ground/wall as mine and can be activated from passing enemies. If done - they are stunned/staggered like from the Smoke screen activation. You can use it to slower enemies or gather them in groups for your teammates Ulti (like Banshee's which has pretty compact AOE).

- Smoke screen - nothing to add. Just hope they not mess around it.

- Teleport - i found it particularly useful, but still is pain to chase enemies with your aim. And when teleport - the enemy is not... shocked or something that can be reasonable respond - but on the spot, turn and hit you... which is awkward for my taste. But is very nice combo with 'Parry' mode, if you can find losing precious second to block/fall enemy [not to shoot and potently kill it in this time].

Suggestion = will be happy tenno if the enemy is staggered/stunned for some time - like 2 sec, maybe?

Suggestion 2 = why not to teleport freely? Your aim become light spot which indicates your teleport position and when you push 'teleport' key again you transport to that spot. Well - Loki is master trickster, let's Ash be the master in stealth approach.

- Blade storm - i love it. And I think it has good lore connection with 'Teleport'. He chase his enemies via teleport skill... pretty cool and 'style'. Still - there is a obvious problem - 13 single kills can't be animated too fast and to be accepted for any player well... there is some... time that must continue each attack, to be enjoyed and understand from us (the players/spectators). So is pretty messy  skill when  teamplay and very unsuited for grineer Mobile Defense missions. I like this specification, because Ash is assassin, not warrior or caster. Makes his special. Still i'm sure this ability can be make a little better:

Suggestion = shorten the enemies attacked per tier. I really don't need 13 targets. Rarely there is so much and if their are - my teammates need me more around with my gun, than killing slowly with Ulty. SO something like = 3/3/4/5 is pretty fine. 2k dmg on the last  tier is damn awesome - so i think that's enough. And yes - some effect after the skill ends

... an ending special effects, something like gushing air around it when it returns to the spot.

Totally agree!

i just realized after all the talk about grappling hooks

why not just give ash a grappling hook as an actually ability, definately fits his ninja theme and gives him the superior mobility people want

even better it could be a kusarigama (ball-chain-sickle weapon) ability and allow it to damage foes or as a mobility tool

come to think of it his ult could just be a kusarigama attack with oscillating AOE radius damage and then replace teleport with grappling hook

the ultimate ninja warframe

shuriken - check

smoke bombs - check

grappling hook- check

kusarigama- check

but ahahahah i forgot this is warframe nvm ahahaha good one eh

Just to throw in my two cents, "every warframe should be unique" That's what the devs advertise. and I feel Ash should be more of the guy who takes out heavy units with ease but has a bit more difficulty with hoards. and honestly I don't think he needs a massive overhaul. just some balances to his ult to make it stand out more. and I have my own idea as to how to make shuriken/teleport more interesting.

Shuriken - Does X amount of armor ignoring damage and marks enemies.

Smoke screen - It's fine.

Teleport - Works as it always has but If you use it on a marked enemy you'll perform a single target "blade storm" type attack. This combo would cost much less then hitting your ult, which is good for a single heavy unit you wanna burst down.

Blade storm - Less targets, priorities enemies with more health, ignores armor, deals highest damage of all ults in the game.

Why? because Ash should take out 6-8 ancients instantly. while leaving 30 chargers unharmed. That should be his role. Great for solos, and with these changes? great in teams too. Let nova and mag melt the little random mooks. and let ash nuke the big boys.

yes ash is like strong and solo hit player not for large numbers 
but he need some develop 
1. shuriken become useless in high lvl.. need to have som debuff on him so it will be useful in high lvl
2. smoke is very good skill..add some melee damage bonus will be great

3. teleport ... is what i need that skill for? .. good if that skill if it will be some buff .. for melee dmg or speed atk..something like that

4.bladestorm its grate skill.. very grate one.. will be nice if ash hits 15 hits .. and not only 15 target ... cuz u use that skill when badass enemy comes and one hit don't kill them 
  note: limited for 2 hits or 3 .. so it's not kill bosses so fast

and one last thing ... ASH IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER

i just realized after all the talk about grappling hooks

why not just give ash a grappling hook as an actually ability, definately fits his ninja theme and gives him the superior mobility people want

This sounds like a really good idea to me. Using it on enemies could either pull them to you or vice-versa. I can see great fun in grappling an enemy, flying at them, and meleeing them into nothing (of course, it'd need to stun also... for obvious reasons)

I want Ash to have a support skill.

ex. Smoke can make others invisibly,or BladeStorm stuns enemies during animation and knocks them down afterwards.

I had an idea a while aback about when Ash Blade Storms, every marked enemy shoots at him while he ports around trying to kill him. he remains impervious to damage so this acts as a stun effectively (the enemies aren't attacking your allies) a knock down after each attack would make sense though, a ninja just jumped on your back! xD

I like Shuriken. Sure it doesn't scale as well at super high levels, but it's very spammable. I'd prefer if it hit more targets for less damage, since it's totally outclassed by something like Slash Dash when fighting trash. But I can live with it.

Smoke Bomb. Probably my favorite skill. The fact you get crits on every melee attack while invisible is just icing on an already delicious cake.

Teleport. I don't use this skill. It's hard to justify the slot use. Sure it makes getting around slightly easier, but only when you have enemies or friends in the position you'd like to be at. Even adding an attack when you teleport to an enemy wouldn't make me use it. I would use this skill if I could just teleport to where my reticle is aiming. If i have to pick between a passive mod that affects everything all the time, and a niche mobility power I'm going to use maybe once a level, the passives are going to win every time.

Blade Storm. I'm torn on it. In a solo capacity, it's great. As an &#!-saving mechanism, it's great. As a damage ability....? It's so-so, at best. Even after all the tweaking, it still behaves screwy. (Not giving you all the targets in your AOE is really obnoxious.) By the time you've killed three guys, just about any other nuke frame has killed the rest. It leaves Ash feeling like they don't really contribute to the kills. (Although with frames like Ember and Nova, everyone struggles with this.) I'd honestly prefer Blade Storm as an instant radial AoE, even at the cost of the invulernability. At least I'd feel like my ult delivers in team play like everyone else's does. 

Someone said in an Ash thread a while ago that the frame was mostly intended for solo players. Over time, I've come to agree with this point of view. Ash is ideal for solo runs. I just wish they didn't feel a day late and a dollar short in team games. Basically my role in something like Nightmare Survival is to rez people while invis and to run through waves of enemies to reach the atmosphere drop.

Edited by Nenjin

I like Shuriken. Sure it doesn't scale as well at super high levels, but it's very spammable. I'd prefer if it hit more targets for less damage, since it's totally outclassed by something like Slash Dash when fighting trash. But I can live with it.

Smoke Bomb. Probably my favorite skill. The fact you get crits on every melee attack while invisible is just icing on an already delicious cake.

Teleport. I don't use this skill. It's hard to justify the slot use. Sure it makes getting around slightly easier, but only when you have enemies or friends in the position you'd like to be at. Even adding an attack when you teleport to an enemy wouldn't make me use it. I would use this skill if I could just teleport to where my reticle is aiming. If i have to pick between a passive mod that affects everything all the time, and a niche mobility power I'm going to use maybe once a level, the passives are going to win every time.

Blade Storm. I'm torn on it. In a solo capacity, it's great. As an &#!-saving mechanism, it's great. As a damage ability....? It's so-so, at best. Even after all the tweaking, it still behaves screwy. (Not giving you all the targets in your AOE is really obnoxious.) By the time you've killed three guys, just about any other nuke frame has killed the rest. It leaves Ash feeling like they don't really contribute to the kills. (Although with frames like Ember and Nova, everyone struggles with this.) I'd honestly prefer Blade Storm as an instant radial AoE, even at the cost of the invulernability. At least I'd feel like my ult delivers in team play like everyone else's does. 

Someone said in an Ash thread a while ago that the frame was mostly intended for solo players. Over time, I've come to agree with this point of view. Ash is ideal for solo runs. I just wish they didn't feel a day late and a dollar short in team games. Basically my role in something like Nightmare Survival is to rez people while invis and to run through waves of enemies to reach the atmosphere drop.

You know, originally I thought his teleport was a aim radical = where you tp to, then I got him and was thoroughly disappointed :/

i'v been playing with the Ash Since it's early days. and i have to agree with some of the stuff players are saying.

Just to throw in my two cents, "every warframe should be unique" That's what the devs advertise. and I feel Ash should be more of the guy who takes out heavy units with ease but has a bit more difficulty with hoards. and honestly I don't think he needs a massive overhaul. just some balances to his ult to make it stand out more. and I have my own idea as to how to make shuriken/teleport more interesting.

Shuriken - Does X amount of armor ignoring damage and marks enemies.

Blade storm - Less targets, priorities enemies with more health, ignores armor, deals highest damage of all ults in the game.

Why? because Ash should take out 6-8 ancients instantly. while leaving 30 chargers unharmed. That should be his role. Great for solos, and with these changes? great in teams too. Let nova and mag melt the little random mooks. and let ash nuke the big boys.

Also why does Bladestorm can only be used when you have a baddie targeted. that slows down the time to kill instead of helping your other teammates

Well, I think Ash's ulti just needed faster animation and an ending special effects, something like gushing air around it when it returns to the spot.

On a side note, using the ulti on enemies on stairs may cause ash to be stuck under stairs.

iviewcapture_date_19_10_2013_time_18_36_

(Didnt notice if the enemy was ragdolled or not)

Good way to hide, old-school stealth

Once i was bugged in Blade Storm. It caused me to fly ABOVE the map very high, nice position for sniping :D (Kiste, just near defense objective)

Edited by Skynin