Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea for a new Infested enemy

Ysmirdragon

With the upcoming release The Heart of Deimos and the new infected mobs I had an idea for a new type of infested enemy. First off it comes in three varieties, each one is only vulnerable to a specific weapon type. For example one is only killable with primary weapons while another can only receive damage from a secondary weapon and the third variety can only die by a melee weapon. If the DE implement this type of enemy it could keep the player on their toes. Any additional ideas or feedback is welcome!

2 minutes ago, Ysmirdragon said:

With the upcoming release The Heart of Deimos and the new infected mobs I had an idea for a new type of infested enemy. First off it comes in three varieties, each one is only vulnerable to a specific weapon type. For example one is only killable with primary weapons while another can only receive damage from a secondary weapon and the third variety can only die by a melee weapon. If the DE implement this type of enemy it could keep the player on their toes. Any additional ideas or feedback is welcome!

A point where it immediately breaks down is that there are lots of cases where players don't *have* all three weapon types equipped.  (Sortie conditions, Riven challenges, more efficient leveling for the remaining weapons, personal preference to just *not use* one for whatever reason.)  Such an enemy would become arbitrarily invincible, which would break any mission type that involves "kill all enemies" conditions. (Exterminate, but also the "clear remaining enemies" phases of ones like Interception.)

The other issue is (in my opinion) that making enemies arbitrarily immune to attack is bad game design that DE leans on too often in boss fights already.  Lech Kril is a hard boss to fight not because he has interesting attacks or moves quickly or is even all that dangerous.  He's hard to fight because he's *completely immune to everything* 95% of the time, and fighting him is just a slog waiting for arbitrary timers to run out and specific animations to trigger and reveal his weak point.

In any case you can get a taste of this already with "glassed" Nightwave enemies.  Certain weapons types struggle heavily to break their crystal armor, and to me dealing with them is just frustrating and tedious.  It's back to the same problem as the Wolf of Saturn Six, and needing to carry a specific "anti-Cephalite" weapon at all times to deal with them quickly just in case they show up while I'm doing something else.  It doesn't "keep me on my toes," it just limits my weapon selection.

The only change I want to the infested is, replacing the chargers and runners. Or redesign them. There are almost no variations of these enemy types and it makes the infested really boring.

Also they rely on ancients and prasitic units way too much which is anything but interesting. They really need new support units.

What I would love is for them to try to see just how much units they can get in the game at once. If they up it from 50-200 or 300 an infested plant could really come alive. 

Its what bugs me about it. Infestation on a world scale the mountains should move when they discover you there.

Archived