Feedback on the New Ui

BeguWC6.jpg

This remains just so utterly asinine I couldn't help but add some annotations to summarize every problem the new UI has in MS Paint. And frankly, the new UI looks like it was slapped together in MS Paint. 

See the orange-red arrows? That's the flow of the eye when "reading" the image. See how it follows a nice zig-zagging pattern, moving in a Z like I was reading a book? That's good menu design. That's how menus should look and data should be displayed.

But, like everything about Warframe since 2019, the mindless design philosophy has devolved to old=inherently bad; and instead of adjusting the tiny couple of flaws that this far more pleasing UI had, the developers opted to rip an entire mostly-working system out and replace it with something inferior.

It's Melee 3.0 all over again. It's several steps beyond frustrating. I genuinely doubt DE cares about our feedback; if this is the kind of speed with which they respond to an almost universally despised "ReMaStEr" of the player interface.

Expect my oh-so-thrilled analysis of our "great" new UI to follow. To say I despise this game change more than any other in the past few years, besides, of course, the melee changes; would be an understatement of cosmic proportions.

Edited by Maxim_M_Payne
  • Like 6
9 hours ago, Maxim_M_Payne said:

BeguWC6.jpg

This remains just so utterly asinine I couldn't help but add some annotations to summarize every problem the new UI has in MS Paint. And frankly, the new UI looks like it was slapped together in MS Paint. 

See the orange-red arrows? That's the flow of the eye when "reading" the image. See how it follows a nice zig-zagging pattern, moving in a Z like I was reading a book? That's good menu design. That's how menus should look and data should be displayed.

But, like everything about Warframe since 2019, the mindless design philosophy has devolved to old=inherently bad; and instead of adjusting the tiny couple of flaws that this far more pleasing UI had, the developers opted to rip an entire mostly-working system out and replace it with something inferior.

It's Melee 3.0 all over again. It's several steps beyond frustrating. I genuinely doubt DE cares about our feedback; if this is the kind of speed with which they respond to an almost universally despised "ReMaStEr" of the player interface.

Expect my oh-so-thrilled analysis of our "great" new UI to follow. To say I despise this game change more than any other in the past few years, besides, of course, the melee changes; would be an understatement of cosmic proportions.

Oh, DE very clearly does NOT care about our feedback. Agreed, to hell with the melee "rework" (almost universal nerf) and the UI "redesigns" (nerfs).
Half of the melee weapons are practically unusable now, due to either locking the player in place with every single combo in every one of their stances, or having garbage stats across the board. For instance, never in my wildest dreams did I think that Iron Phoenix would become the only usable single sword stance remaining in the game, due to being the only single sword stance to have a single combo that is not a momentum killer. A single combo.

Oh, there's also the fact that the new UI (lol) does not tell you which weapons your Focus came from and in what quantities, as well as that it does not display maxed gear/gear that did not gain any affinity in the mission. It's definitely been said here before, but since DE clearly is not listening properly, it should proably be repeated.

• Like 4
On 2020-10-23 at 7:43 AM, shootaman777 said:

Agreed, to hell with the melee "rework" (almost universal nerf)

On 2020-10-23 at 7:43 AM, shootaman777 said:

Half of the melee weapons are practically unusable now, due to either locking the player in place with every single combo in every one of their stances, or having garbage stats across the board. For instance, never in my wildest dreams did I think that Iron Phoenix would become the only usable single sword stance remaining in the game, due to being the only single sword stance to have a single combo that is not a momentum killer. A single combo.

Actual admission that 3.0 feels, looks, and handles worse? Agreement that the good Stances should never have been changed, and that the bad Stances weren't remotely fixed? Consensus with me that it isn't fun and many people, myself included, will ALWAYS prefer the 2.0 controls; and we want our player-controlled-blocking and actually cool Combo moves back? Shootaman777, I could kiss you; irregardless of your physical sex or personal identity.

Even before the forced-on autoexposure made me quit playing altogether, Melee 3.0 has been a source of perpetual misery. It ripped out everything that made close combat actually feel fun and ninja-like, and removed it in favor of a movement-locked, clumsy, flash-and-lens-flare-clogged WASD-key-bound mess; a mess that's a cheap knockoff of DMC without any of the soul and without what made it Warframe melee. We didn't want Devil May Cry, we wanted to keep being the maniacal death blenders we used to exult in being. SURE WOULD BE A SHAME IF THAT WAS WILLFULLY IGNORED, OUR FEEDBACK SWEPT ASIDE, AND THE WORST POSSIBLE SERIES OF CHANGES WERE MADE IN TWO EQUALLY BAD "PHASES" OF OUR "REMASTER"! That would be terrible and possibly drive me to a deep, festering, resentful, spiteful rage that has made me distrust any future update to this particular game; or any products made by its parent company, therefore costing them profit further down the line in the future. Merely a conjecture! But also the truth.

But back on topic, because while MANY bad changes to the game have been made the past two and a half years on DE's end (*cough* 3.0 *cough*); and most of them are still unadressed; we are here to talk about the new UI and it's oh-so-lovely "overhaul". 

And the new UI is, frankly, an insult. A joke. A three-ring circus with clown cars that only contain 24 duplicates of Pennywise; and meanwhile, while you're already cringing in revulsion and fear, each Pennywise is eating the duplicated corpse of your favorite childhood pet while giving you the double middle finger and making pelvic thrusts.

Okay, my metaphor got away from me a little bit there, but the key point is: THIS MENU IS AWFUL. It will still be awful tomorrow, it was already awful when it was first implemented and I made one (1) visit to Cambion Drift before deciding it was the final straw and I was done playing Warframe for the forseeable future, and it will be awful no matter how many distracting bells and whistles are strung over it. You can't sprinkle glitter on a cow pie and distract from the fact you handed over poop, my friends. Stank shall remain stank.

And in light of that fact, as I displayed above when showing what was significantly better about the OLD UI; my feedback is once again being given through MS Paint. Because roughly the same amount of effort was put into the new UI, and it might as well have been slapped together in Paint '95 for how "sleek" and "convenient" this is.

Playtest your own blasted product, DE. Actually gather some group of players or promoters who double-check your pret projects for you; and tell you lot if the implementation is a good idea or if it should be completely scrapped. You've hauled out update after update of adjustments that worsened QoL and the actual enjoyment of the game, and it's driving players off. Ninjas do not, in fact, play free; we barely play at all, and we keep getting more restricted and inconvenienced with each step of the "brave new game" that has repeatedly proven a consistent downgrade to what we had before. 

SvapCME.jpg

• Like 4
On 2020-10-23 at 1:43 PM, shootaman777 said:

Oh, DE very clearly does NOT care about our feedback. Agreed, to hell with the melee "rework" (almost universal nerf) and the UI "redesigns" (nerfs).

I strongly agree with this one, I greatly miss melee 2.0, "the flow update" actually did what it promised to do, and made melee combat a lot smoother, after 3.0 melee is a lot clunkyer, too many combos cause missteps, and are significantly slower.

And several weapons like the wolf sledge used to be unique, and had unique moves, and now work exactly like every other weapon of it's type, I just cant find the improvement in it, and time has NOT made it better, melee 3.0 is slower, which just dosn't fit the theme of warframe at all I feel.

Damage 3.0 has the same problem while I'm at it, the new knockdown status is also slower, you take too long to react after being knocked down, and don't stand back up automatically anymore.. why?

Forced slowdowns in such a fast paced game are just, not fun.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh good heavens. Until I briefly tried returning to the playerbase, just to get the final few Glassmaker rewards, I was unaware this hot mess isn't even consistent.

Not only was the old UI objectively better and less of an eyesore, it was consistent between its appearance in-mission and at the end of a mission.

The  UI "oVeRhAuL", as the latest in a long line of systems, mechanics, and visual elements that didn't need to be completely changed; doesn't even have that.

Spoiler

(And as for the above statement, I'm not leaving it ambiguous what I mean by "didn't need to be changed". Old Melee combos and controls were better, they were always better, they will never stop being what I preferred to use; and when you shoved in your personal abomination with The Old Blood after promising to FIX the problems Phase 1 of the garbage pile that is Melee 3.0 introduced, WE WEREN'T EVEN GIVEN AN OPTION TO RETAIN 2.0 CONTROLS, DE. Or, how about removing all the BS with Parazon, so we can go back to Finishers that aren't Assassin's Creed knockoffs and start hacking terminals again instantly. ADDING THE BLASTED ADAPATIVE EXPOSURE TOGGLE BACK IN. FIXING METALLICS, WHICH HAVE LITERALLY BEEN VISUALLY BROKEN SINCE SAINT OF ALTRA AND REMAIN PLASTIC-LIKE. Stopping adding lens-flare and cancerous sparks/bubbles to everything? And that's just the start!)

The new UI consists of two wholly different, equally ugly messes that reduce clarity, involve more hidden menu BS, list data nobody cares about (Crates Opened, MUCKING REALLY?!), and did I mention thAT THE BLASTED THINGS HAVE ZERO VISUAL FLOW? 

Expect my thoughts on the matter and a new set of the red-orange arrows showing where my eye is drawn to (which for both of these, is nowhere without any pattern at all) to follow.

This mounting pile of rubbish in almost every aspect of the game is what finally drove me off, and made me quit playing one of my FORMER favorites on Steam. When even the menus seem to be hand-crafted to be as obfuscating and inconvenient as possible, let alone compounded by the fact the game is no longer fun, I lose all interest.

Apparently that's a novel thought to whoever became the new majority shareholder for you lot, because the DE I remember actually cared about the game. About fun. About their players, at the bare bloody minimum.

• Like 2