[Fortuna] Cannot use ESC to open main menu.

When in the Fortuna zone on Venus, I'm consistently having the problem of not being able to press ESC to open the main menu.  Therefore I get stuck in Fortuna.  I can still run missions, and talk to NPCs, I just can't Leave Fortuna.  I have to press ALT-F4 and restart the game.  This has been going on for the past several patches.

steps to repeat: go to Fortuna.  press 5 to pop into Operator.  Press ESC, click Fast Travel, then Little Duck.  After you finish talking to Little Duck, you can't press ESC to get a menu anymore.  It does nothing.

Edited by KaishiAxon
adding PC tag
  • Like 3

On 2020-08-12 at 10:53 PM, KaishiAxon said:

When in the Fortuna zone on Venus, I'm consistently having the problem of not being able to press ESC to open the main menu.  Therefore I get stuck in Fortuna.  I can still run missions, and talk to NPCs, I just can't Leave Fortuna.  I have to press ALT-F4 and restart the game.  This has been going on for the past several patches.

steps to repeat: go to Fortuna.  press 5 to pop into Operator.  Press ESC, click Fast Travel, then Little Duck.  After you finish talking to Little Duck, you can't press ESC to get a menu anymore.  It does nothing.

Same problem for me too, not sure for the steps, but I use operator and talk to litle duck too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Attempted:  Start on Orbiter, open Navigation, click Venus, Fortuna, Click on an instance number. Skip intro scene with spacebar twice. Esc > Fast Travel > Little Duck.  Esc from dialog.  Esc brings up main menu.

This doesn't break for me. Does this happen if you immediately back out of the menu without choosing any menu items? If not, what do you talk to Little Duck about? Need specific sequence of actions, video would be fabulous.

• Like 1

Tbh mine doesn't happen only when talking to Little Duck, sometimes it happened when going in Fortuna randomly or even playing the game normally. I suddenly find myself unable to press Esc, but in the case of normal Star Chart when the mission ends it usually gets solved.

I was able to produce the bug by doing as follows:

Started in orbiter > joined friend's session > Press 5 into operator > go to backroom > press 5 to go back into Warframe > leave backroom

Sometimes this also locks my ability to get back into operator with a auditory cancel sound. But it always causes my esc menu to stop working until I ALT+F4 and relog.

On 2020-10-15 at 9:26 PM, [DE]Momaw said:

Attempted:  Start on Orbiter, open Navigation, click Venus, Fortuna, Click on an instance number. Skip intro scene with spacebar twice. Esc > Fast Travel > Little Duck.  Esc from dialog.  Esc brings up main menu.

This doesn't break for me. Does this happen if you immediately back out of the menu without choosing any menu items? If not, what do you talk to Little Duck about? Need specific sequence of actions, video would be fabulous.

this isn't just something that happens on fortuna, it can happen everwhere else too - from normal missions to onslaugh to even in the orbiter.

it can fix itself sometimes after the game loads an area anew, e.g. zone change in onslaugh, going into the spider-cave in the valis or by starting a mission on the orbiter 'manually' via the nav-console or the pvp-console (which accidentally also fixes issues where the navigation is unusable because all nodes are missing).

idk how you guy handle the input-interception in the game, my guess though it's via a script and not a 'hardcoded' procedure and thus the problem can arrise when said script fails to load correctly during an instance and also why it can fix itself if something forces it to reload. if that is the case, maybe you should put some check into the process to make sure the script is functional - i guess one check at the start of an instance should be enough for it...

though, for someone have this problem nearly all the time, i would suspect something else is hindering the correct work - might be some 3rd party software (like for streaming or even the overlays of steam, discord or overwolf) and ofc, it could be due to the users hardware being to weak or too 'occupied' otherwise. either way, fallbacks and failsafes in the program code should be able to fix this.

one last thought: a console command to reload such things would also help - and while at it, make one commend to reload the gui too, for this is also something most likely related to scripts failing to load (or run) correctly... and since usually the chat is the one thing in the game that still works when everything else broke down, it's a better way than alt+f4'ing out and restart the game (especially when ones loot is at stake here ^^)