Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New melee idea: heavy shield

(XBOX)KayAitch

This would be a large (same height as the frame) shield with:

- 180 blocking angle

- Blocks AoE and melee too. Enemies that melee attack from the front are staggered.

- Unique dual wield (like glaives) with pistols and 1h weapons (so Shedu)

- Aiming in dual wield mode aims around the shield while blocking 

- this is the big advantage: you can block and shoot at the same time.

- the cost: as an offensive melee it's really weak, damage should be Impact, stance is all barges and block combo is slapping the enemy with the butt of the pistol, heavy is a barge forward with guaranteed Impact procs.

- think like Roman shield walls or old school riot cops (before they switched to bucklers, which are less good at holding a line but better at offence)

We have enemies with this type of melee, but we only have a sword & shield combined weapon.

Yeah, it wouldn't be meta. Melee is just better than guns. It would be a fun alternative though.

I'm not sure how you'd make it worth putting a reactor or forma on though. It would block just fine with no mods. It might make more sense as a gear item that replaces your normal melee something like how gravimag archguns work.

While not explicitly a heavy shield, I have wanted to see a new shield type in Warframe, my idea was a Gunshield melee, similar to Gunblade but more of a defensive design. That would make up for a Heavy Shield's lack of mobility.

I'd bet if you gave it a stance that turned the Heavy Attack into a throw mechanic, you'd get people wanting to live a space ninja Captain America fantasy instantly. But besides that, the idea in general is pretty solid and sounds like it could be fun.

48 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

I'm not sure how you'd make it worth putting a reactor or forma on though. It would block just fine with no mods. It might make more sense as a gear item that replaces your normal melee something like how gravimag archguns work.

Even if it is sub-par as a melee weapon, I think there are ways you could make it decently effective and stylish to the point of being worth a reactor and forma (for those that want to use it that way). If you're going to make it use the dual wield mechanic, you could use that straightforward bash-and-smash "stance" there, but have more wild shield throws, boomerangs, and strikes on the regular stance. For example, it could have serrated edges to mix in slash or puncture alongside impact (with some moves), which opens up striking with the edge as well as the flat of the shield. Perhaps kind of like a heavy blade version of Glaives.

That said, I do feel that it would be better not to use the dual wield concept at all, so that all firearms could have the auto-blocking feature (I have similar issues with dual-wielded Glaives and the lack of air throws on primaries...). I think it's possible, albeit a little tricky, to design the shield in a way that it could support rifles and bows - rest most of the weapon on the shield or in a notch on the shield, have the shield wrist-mounted or with pneumatics to adjust its position, use some kind of modular or energy shield, etc.

Mind, I say that also because I like the idea and want to be able to use it as widely as possible. 🙂

EDIT: You could also make it that the shield reflects enemy fire back at them and mods affect the damage on that enemy fire...though I'd still love more shield throwing and bashing antics, too

It'd be fun to have a big honking shield and a gunlance ala Monster Hunter.

00-featured-mhw-gunlance-weapon.jpg

Don't tell me that doesn't scream Warframe.

Big shield blocks in front of you and even covers teammates by deploying an extended energy shield, but you're locked in place and instead can fire your gunlance with slow booming shots. While not blocking it works like a lance, by spearing enemies at melee range.

14 hours ago, Scruffel said:

I'd bet if you gave it a stance that turned the Heavy Attack into a throw mechanic, you'd get people wanting to live a space ninja Captain America fantasy instantly

We already have that, it's a login reward weapon called Sigma & Octantis. Aerial attacks throw the shield Cap America style.

This would be a heavy shield - similar to what Grineer Shield Lancers carry.

I guess you could throw it, but it would be kind of like throwing a door - guaranteed knock-downs, but no boomerang effect.

1 hour ago, ixidron92 said:

It'd be fun to have a big honking shield and a gunlance ala Monster Hunter.

00-featured-mhw-gunlance-weapon.jpg

Don't tell me that doesn't scream Warframe.

Big shield blocks in front of you and even covers teammates by deploying an extended energy shield, but you're locked in place and instead can fire your gunlance with slow booming shots. While not blocking it works like a lance, by spearing enemies at melee range

Cool idea! But I'd add an energy shield to all the atmospheric archguns, like a small Volt shield style thing around the gun. It would help balance the fact that you lose melee and can't block at all.

16 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

EDIT: You could also make it that the shield reflects enemy fire back at them and mods affect the damage on that enemy fire...

That would just lead the the Nyx problem. Damage scaling means past about level 20 enemies have exponentially more health/armour than damage. Most enemies can't hurt each other at all, and reflecting damage back at them is useless.

6 hours ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

We already have that, it's a login reward weapon called Sigma & Octantis. Aerial attacks throw the shield Cap America style.

This would be a heavy shield - similar to what Grineer Shield Lancers carry.

I guess you could throw it, but it would be kind of like throwing a door - guaranteed knock-downs, but no boomerang effect.

Sure, but I'm talking more in the sense of a stance designed for throwing Heavy Shields, or even perhaps one that is designed more towards it. If a giant hammer that comes from a hulking wolf dude can also be thrown like a glaive, I don't see why not a big shield too. Plus, Sigma & Octantis are restricted to their own, while the Heavy Shield could be used with Pistols/Arm Cannons and by itself, meaning that you wouldn't really be living the Captain America fantasy unless you don't mind him suddenly wielding a sword. Which I'm not sure if he did, but I digress.

11 hours ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

That would just lead the the Nyx problem. Damage scaling means past about level 20 enemies have exponentially more health/armour than damage. Most enemies can't hurt each other at all, and reflecting damage back at them is useless.

Ehh, but if you use that damage as a base damage value for the mods on the weapon, multiplied by however many enemies are shooting at you, I could see some juicy DPS coming out. I mean, what, the Baza does 16 damage per shot? It does pretty juicy damage for a 16.67 fire rate, and that's without Acolyte crit mods that could throw it into red crit territory. Plus if you had a secondary to prime enemies for Condition Overload...

A tower shield would be nice so I can bash those grineer shield lancers so they know how it feels like.

And a mechanic to increase your teams/defense objectives armor or shields when you have it out. 

Good for a support frame that mainly focuses on everyone's survival.

Better yet give it the ability to taunt enemies so they'll focus their attention on you.

On 2020-08-13 at 11:31 PM, (XB1)KayAitch said:

The weapon has a special mechanic with a multiplier of 10x per combo counter to reflect the damage. Meaning for each point of damage you block, you reflect 10x with combo counter x1, 20x with combo counter x2, up to 120x with combo counter x12.

The damage you reflect is the sum of the damage you block plus the damage of the weapon itself multiplied by 10*combo counter. Also, the damage you reflect depends on the damages your shield have. So if your damage is, 33 IPS (each of them), the total damage reflected will be a 33 slash, 33 impact and 33 puncture. If you add other elements, they will be added to the reflected damage too. And obviously, critical and status effects would be considered when reflecting the damage, as it's the main way of doing damage the weapon has.The damage you block will be added to the percentage of each one of the types, so if you block puncture damage, that will be added to the total puncture damage before calculating. Finally, the combo counter increases with both hitting the enemy with the shield and blocking, so blocking is encouraged to increase damage dealing.

Example: you mod the weapon to have 100 impact, 33 viral. And you block 45 puncture while having a combo counter of 1 (These numbers are random, not adjusted or balanced, just to make the example). The maths would be:

Total damage: 100+33+45*(10*1)= 1780 Total damage (no crit). With a combo counter of 12, the damage goes to 21360 which is not much. Apparently. But as soon as you start adding mods the numbers start raising pretty quickly.

This way, the damage could scale effectively with the mods, the damage of enemies and the combo counter.

Archived