Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Black squares covering parts of the screen in Archwing missions

Jaynat

So far it only happened to me in Syrtis, Mars. This seems to be happening only when I'm getting close to certain asteroids.

Spoiler

dLuVwKM.jpg

WbF9LDo.jpg

Usually these large black squares would cover around a third of my screen in total, with other smaller squares covering some of the small asteroids in my field of view. Not all asteroids are covered, though.

i also have this, isnt only archwing, i noticed that it appears in certain angles, like in corpus tile set on sabotage, in certain angles looking at the reactor i can see the black squares, moving the mouse a bit, make them dissapear, once i put the mouse back it appears again, im suspecting is some visual bug or glitch

AMD RX550 2GB, Resolution: 1920x1080, i tried lowering everything or taking the settings up.. dosnt change anything.

the video card is pretty new and was never overclocked or forced.

i also dont get this in any other game.

I have been having this issue with archwing missions that take place in asteroid fields as well.

Spoiler

6iqLo6Q.jpgLckgKug.jpgT5hWflG.jpgJQ5Fsm9.jpg

My PC specs are as follows:

CPU - i9-9900K
GPU - RTX 2080 Ti (Latest Game Ready driver installed)
RAM - 32 GB
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

On 2020-08-15 at 1:09 PM, Jaynat said:

So far it only happened to me in Syrtis, Mars. This seems to be happening only when I'm getting close to certain asteroids.

Reveal hidden contents

Usually these large black squares would cover around a third of my screen in total, with other smaller squares covering some of the small asteroids in my field of view. Not all asteroids are covered, though.

We have a fix for this. Coming soon!

On 2020-08-18 at 6:51 PM, PraiseCthulu said:

this also occurs when vauban uses too many vortexes (second stage of bastille) at once, thus rendering the (entire) screen black depending on the distance and angle the player looks at the vortex.

Can you please check this ability again after the next hotfix? It should arrive later this week.

On 2020-08-19 at 5:27 PM, Koyake said:

For me these appear when i use heavy jump attacks. Thank god i'm not alone with this.

Hi Koyake, which weapon are you using when you do these heavy jump attacks?

On 2020-08-31 at 11:43 PM, [DE]Linkski said:

We have a fix for this. Coming soon!

Can you please check this ability again after the next hotfix? It should arrive later this week.

Hi Koyake, which weapon are you using when you do these heavy jump attacks?

I've just checked if the latest hotfix (29.0.6) has fixed this for the vauban ability and the issue is still persisting.
The screenshots are taken with deferred rendering disabled and bloom on 50 (default).

https://imgur.com/a/7LOJsqI

hope this helps in searching for the issue.

4 hours ago, PraiseCthulu said:

I've just checked if the latest hotfix (29.0.6) has fixed this for the vauban ability and the issue is still persisting.
The screenshots are taken with deferred rendering disabled and bloom on 50 (default).

https://imgur.com/a/7LOJsqI

hope this helps in searching for the issue.

Can you tell us which GPU model you're using? Also, if you haven't already, can you please try to Verify your Download Cache via. the Warframe launcher? This will help us rule out the possibility of this Vauban issue being caused by missing or corrupt game files.

verf5.png

We're still having trouble tracking this one down, but hopefully narrowing down the GPU model will help us out.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Can you tell us which GPU model you're using? Also, if you haven't already, can you please try to Verify your Download Cache via. the Warframe launcher? This will help us rule out the possibility of this Vauban issue being caused by missing or corrupt game files.

verf5.png

We're still having trouble tracking this one down, but hopefully narrowing down the GPU model will help us out.

Thanks!

I have recently verified the download cache just to be sure. However I have not done that yet with the more recent patches, so I'll give that a try just to be sure.

For the matter of the gpu, it is a Nvidia 970 from Asus. To be more exact it is the Asus turbo gtx970 oc 4gd5 .

Edit: can confirm, it still persists.

Happened to me during Kuva siphon mission with Nezha ( actually as operator while i was shooting kuva clouds ), couldn't get a screen shot because the black square was blinking/moving on screen depending on how i was orienting the camera and from the 3 screen i tried to get no black square were captured.

GPU GeForce 840M

• 1 month later...

I would love to know if there has been any progress on this issue so far since it has been over a month since there was any form of communication on this thread. Certainly since the release of the dev workshop of 'The Enhanced Graphics Engine' gave some hope that perhaps this issue was solved in the beta engine. Unfortunately I have to conclude that not only does the issue (and workaround) persist in the new engine, it also made the issue worse. Now it doesnt display black squares onto the screen anymore it straight up turns the game into black and white with only item pickups retaining color. As show in the screenshot below. This image was taken in the ballroom simulacrum and the effect required loading into another map (eg orbiter or the relay) to revert to normal unlike the black squares before.9r3XJ0E.jpg

Hi, Im having the same issue.
Begin with the implementation of the enhanced graphic and black squares flashing in the screen but a few every hour, but with the last update this black squares become a black screen with visible hud and option menu visible, so I can disable enhaced graphics or change screen mode from fullscreen to borderless and fix it, so come back to fullscreen and in seconds come back the black screen.
I try disabling the dynamic resolution, pre configured manual to 75, first change to disable and second try with automatic, and for an hour not having problems with any black square or black screen with disabled or automatic resolution (more test are required). Again black screen with dynamic resolution in automatic.

Win 10 19041.546
gtx 660 2gb
Nvidia driver 456.38 DCH

• 1 month later...

I'm still getting the issues. It seems to be tied to a level of particle effects, particularly smoke. It seems to correlate to the amount of screen the effect is taking up, I wonder if it might be caused by the area of the effect extending behind the player camera.

I've had it in Railjack, Kuva Siphons, and about ten seconds ago in Sanctuary Onslaught.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1233753-blck-rectangles-covering-screen/

• 1 month later...

This has started happening to me as well now. Didnt used to BUT ... I just recently upgraded computer to this:

MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
32 GB System RAM

My NVidia GTX 1060 6GB is pretty much the only thing left from old computer.

Rig has only SSD drives now.

I feel I need to add some additional info here such as:

Warframe is installed and runs through STEAM but it was on separate drive earlier so the game was NOT reinstalled when I did a clean install of:
Windows 10 Pro x64 wich in turn has just a few days ago updated itself.
I simply redirected the install libraries in STEAM settings, started launcher and had it do both verification and optimization.

Once game was up and running I noticed some awfully strange things had happened in the Options - Display section.

First off, the scaling setting had changed from Scaled to Native (this has always been a bad idea) so I put it back to Scaled. FPS improved but things looked weird still.

Furthermore, tesselation - wich has always been available before, now suddenly is not. It's greyed out. 

Also, Windows flip-mode used to be a toggle but this too is now greyed out.

The game runs best in Windowed borderless since I have 2 monitors so I have no idea why these strange things have changed in the settings.

This is not all either! The first time I started the game up after Windows was reinstalled, game launcher had put the game to use Classic DX 11 engine.
I didnt even think to check this until the black squares started showing up on Deimos outdoor world and I started fiddling with all this jazz.
I used to always run it with the enhanced DX 12 and it's set to that again now, but all that did was produce much better detail and texture. The heavy drops of FPS and large black squares are still there and also the "water" creeks/rivers on Deimos occasionally will look very jagged and get some really strange coloration.

So much is suddenly going wrong here I'm considering wiping Warframe from SSD and re-install it as well but I fear this will not help.

NVidia settings are all default and like everything else on a somewhat modern machine today, all drivers are up to date - they do that themselves tbh so it's rarely something we have to do any more. On the contrary, we more frequently then ever have to roll back to older drivers. It's almost as if the hardware manufacturers are overworking their own drivers and constantly attempting to improve or "fix" things that probably shouldnt be shipped out until much more playtesting has been done.

Incredibly frustrating for us end users and probably even more so for game developers I bet.

Until I see something else to try and/or feel like doing the re-installing of the game - I will just follow this thread and hope for suggestions because I'm honestly out of idea on what to try now after spending half a day trying all sorts of things in both the game settings and NVidia Control panel advanced settings.
Unfortunately this also means I wont be playing this fantastic game until I hear some positive feedback on this issue... I miss my spaceninjas already! *cries*

Best regards from Finland.

Deimos Open World (Cambion Drift) tested again since this is where I had my biggest problems.

These things seem to have helped a great deal with above mention issues:

Graphics Engine - Enhanced (beta) works well but only if I stayed with DX 11.
It seems using DX 12 was the biggest culprit on my system.

Switching back to DX 11 suddenly made tesselation and Flip-Mode available again.
It also seems to have solved the big black squares/blocks showing up randomly.

Other things that does effect FPS drops significanlty though - especially on Deimos:

Effects Intensity - Droped this to 35 to help with FPS. This slider and Volumetric Lightning are together with Shadow Quality (HIGH) very heavy hitters on my GTX 1060 even though it has 6 GB video RAM.

I lowered Shadow Quality to medium. The visual difference is barely noticable, but the video card performance improved a lot.

"Particle Systems Quality" and "GPU Particles" also are closely related and I ended up picking a balance using Medium on one, High on the other.

Anti-Aliasing TAA (high) works fine but I have TAA Sharpen set to 0 simply because I use NVidia Game Filters (AMD would use ReShader) and they seem to be much better option then the TAA Sharpen.

Bloom and Bloom Intensity I have set to a low 10. Just because I actually find the Bloom effect annoying as hell and it also seems to cause Volumetric Lightning to become even worse on GPU if it's high.

Motion Blur and Distorsions... I dont know about these. Turned off simply because I hate the effect from them on the gameplay. :D

Contact Shadows - Well this one is completely new to me! Never seen it until now, after new mobo and Ryzen 7 came into play. I honestly can't tell what this thing does but since it doesnt seem to make my videocard choke, I just leave it on for now.

To sum it up: It appears using DX 12 *and* Enhanced Graphic Engine was too much for my GTX 1060.
I have yet to try DX 12 with Classic Engine but that just sounds counterproductive to be honest.
Sure, DX 12 looked fantastic where it worked, but Microsoft have a lot to fix and tune on this one I think. I'll just stick with DX 11 for now.

Maybe these tests will help some of you others in this thread to troubleshoot the black boxes.
At least for now, my game seems to work alright again and I'm happy.

Cudos to DE's for all the hard work they do on keeping the game modern and up to par with other games. Now we just wait for the DX 12 kinks and quirks to be sorted out for more gorgeous spaceninja action. :)

Cheers!

Archived