Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Migraines and Vomitting from Adaptive Exposure. What to do?

Oberonight

I tried playing a defense mission today and couldn't last more than 2 waves before I had to alt+4 and rush to the bathroom to vomit.

The inconsistent lighting and constant fluctuations in brightness brought on by adaptive exposure is extremely damaging to me and other light sensitive individuals. My siblings report constant migraines now and we've had to drop our daily afternoon sessions because of this.

Apparently, DE has confirmed that they won't give us an option to toggle adaptive exposure off so I'm here to ask if there are any workarounds. It sucks psychically not being able to play a game I like, especially because I've been playing it just fine for 6 years now until adaptive exposure was forced on.

Is there anything I can do? Any 3rd party program, any config tweaks, etc., anything to tone down the adaptive exposure?

20 hours ago, Oberonight said:

Is there anything I can do? Any 3rd party program, any config tweaks, etc., anything to tone down the adaptive exposure?

I wouldnt suggest using 3rd party programs because you could get banned, I mean even support doesnt know when you may bget banned or not they just say to use at your own risk, safest not to use any 3rd party programs. 

As for what to do I think I have effect intensity or something like that to lowest because I couldnt handle the particles and all that nonsence going on the screen, dont know if it helps you in any way

If you have an NVIDIA graphics adapter and GeForce Experience installed, you can ALT-F3 and try various filters to try to tame the bevy of colors. If you're using an external display (vs laptop screen), it may have its own color settings, black levels, and so forth as well which you could try to mitigate the effects.

If it’s colour I don’t know, but can you mess with contrast and brightness. Contrast should keep everything at a close brightness level darker would make it more gray.

Game would look like piss but that’s all I can think of.

On 2020-08-16 at 7:20 PM, Oberonight said:

I tried playing a defense mission today and couldn't last more than 2 waves before I had to alt+4 and rush to the bathroom to vomit.

The inconsistent lighting and constant fluctuations in brightness brought on by adaptive exposure is extremely damaging to me and other light sensitive individuals. My siblings report constant migraines now and we've had to drop our daily afternoon sessions because of this.

Apparently, DE has confirmed that they won't give us an option to toggle adaptive exposure off so I'm here to ask if there are any workarounds. It sucks psychically not being able to play a game I like, especially because I've been playing it just fine for 6 years now until adaptive exposure was forced on.

i would try contacting DE support
click technical or networking
in category pick help with game performance
let them know of your issue an see if there any kind of advice they could give.
it cant hurt to try an reach out as DE isn't a evil company they do care about thre players an you do seem to enjoy warframe 

11 hours ago, BDMblue said:

If it’s colour I don’t know, but can you mess with contrast and brightness. Contrast should keep everything at a close brightness level darker would make it more gray.

Game would look like piss but that’s all I can think of.

That won't help at all. The problem is not a static level of contrast and brightness (even though there's now no way to set it up so that even a static image has both reasonable extremes and visible detail).

The problem is that the game is arbitrarily slamming the global screen brightness up and down and up and down on its own. The net result is that the screen will fluctuate between "nuclear dawn" and "eldritch fog of darkness" going through intermediate stages of "pinpoint spikes straight into the retina from unrealistically bright single light sources in an otherwise ordinary scene".

See here for some examples:

On 2020-08-16 at 8:20 PM, Oberonight said:

Beyond turning down particle effects and adjusting display, your best bet is:

1.  to ask Cephalon Google to find other individuals that have dealt with it.

2.  Seek the advice of medical professionals. Seriously, I know you really want to play without the nausea, but asking a Forum is risking misinformation despite best intentions.

1 hour ago, DoomFruit said:

That won't help at all. The problem is not a static level of contrast and brightness (even though there's now no way to set it up so that even a static image has both reasonable extremes and visible detail).

The problem is that the game is arbitrarily slamming the global screen brightness up and down and up and down on its own. The net result is that the screen will fluctuate between "nuclear dawn" and "eldritch fog of darkness" going through intermediate stages of "pinpoint spikes straight into the retina from unrealistically bright single light sources in an otherwise ordinary scene".

See here for some examples:

Interesting.  I wonder if there are smart monitors/TVs that safeguard against these two extremes.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

2.  Seek the advice of medical professionals. Seriously, I know you really want to play without the nausea, but asking a Forum is risking misinformation despite best intentions.

I'd be very surprised if the OP (plus their equally susceptible siblings) hadn't already had their photosensitivity looked at by doctors. I'm pretty sure that the OP in this other thread already knows exactly what epilepsy does to them and is quite familiar with medical advice for such things:

You're all missing the point here. They were able to play perfectly fine beforehand, but DE forced on a pair of settings which made the game physically hazardous for them and look much worse for many others. That is the problem.

6 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

I'd be very surprised if the OP (plus their equally susceptible siblings) hadn't already had their photosensitivity looked at by doctors. I'm pretty sure that the OP in this other thread already knows exactly what epilepsy does to them and is quite familiar with medical advice for such things:

You're all missing the point here. They were able to play perfectly fine beforehand, but DE forced on a pair of settings which made the game physically hazardous for them and look much worse for many others. That is the problem.

Fair points, all.  

Oh is that what its called?

Its complete and total S#&$. I don't care if I get moderated, there is nothing good about adaptive exposure it should just be removed entirely I don't even thing there should be an option to disable it, just fking remove it.

On 2020-08-16 at 7:20 PM, Oberonight said:

14 hours ago, _Euphoria_ said:

You might want to see a neurologist maybe? That doesnt sound normal

It doesn't matter if it's normal or not. If someone has to live with a disability, you don't say "well go get fixed instead." Case in point; you're driving home from a long days work just to live paycheck-to-paycheck. You're a quarter-mile from home and stopped at a traffic light but the person that's about to hit you is drunk, is driving with a revoked driver's license, and has no auto insurance. After waking up from the coma you've been in for the last month, you get to find that you're now paralyzed from the waist down, unable to keep your previous employment, and forced to find a way to pay the medical treatment and lost wages expenses yourself. That's okay, you've come to terms with it after 4 years but then someone tells you that being a paraplegic isn't normal and you ought to go seek medical care. So now you're thinking, "why's this guy being so melodramatic", to wit I would say "this isn't a made up story."

Edit; @Oberonight I completely forgot something else that would be worth trying to see if it helps. if you WinKey+R or simply type in your start menu (with Windows 10) dccw, you can adjust the color correct of the display. Since it's only Warframe that appears to have HID lighting installed everywhere now, you'd have to run it again to restore settings so that the rest of your experience isn't super dark.

Archived