Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe concept] Ekaitz, storm based warframe

Umbriellan

Hello everyone,
I got a bit inspired while reading Victor Hugo's book « L'Homme qui rit » (the Laughing Man)... okay, that's giving me too much credit : it's pretty much a translation of Hugo's storms description in the Warframe universe.

About the name : Ekaitz is a basque name meaning storm / thunderstorm / tormented. From what I saw, Ekaitz is a male pronoun ; the female variant would be Ekaitza (but it's warframe and I don't really care about gender things for golem / bio-mecanical weapons...).

The warframe in short :
A natural spirit similar in its use to Equinox, with 2x mods : Tropical & Boreal storm (we will respectively use the terms "thunder" & "snow" to be short).
The frame is AoE based, with a support role in squad (snow will debuff enemies, while thunder will buff allies & NPC)

1st ability : Climate
Ekaitz will personnalise the storm of thunder or snow.
-press : you change the selected Climate
-hold : you activate the selected Climate
Refreshing will grant a « Second Breath » bonus, which add strengh to the next ability.

2nd ability : Galerna (snow) / Brise (thunder)
(snow) Galerna : a strong & cold wind slows down the enemies, with a chance to freeze some around the warframe.
=> debuff : reduce enemy speed around Ekaitz, chance to proc Cold status.

(thunder) Brise : Ekaitz causes a wind to help its allies in all their moves.
=> bonus : speed (moves, reload, casting abilities) increased around Ekaitz for Tenno, Operators & NPC.

3rd ability : Peals of Bell (snow) / Tximista (thunder)
(snow) Peals of Bell : amidst storms the sound of a bell is a bad omen : « checks sails and ropes thee who sail there, only follies are to be expected here. »
-press : a bell is ringing once ; nearby enemies are forced to reload ;
-hold : a brontide is heard, nearly hiding the sounds of a bell ; nearby enemies are forced to reload and confusion will proc.

(thunder) Tximista (basque for « lighting ») : Ekaitz will manipulate effluvium to create powerful lighting against its foe.
-press : a lighting emanates from Ekaitz, hurting enemies around it ;
-hold : a lighting strikes down the area targeted by Ekaitz, hurting enemies around it.

Charge mecanic : each press-attack will charge the hold-attack (up to 3 times).   

(Heat & Electricity damages, based on Enemy's Health %)

4th ability : Snowflurry (snow) / Storm force (thunder)
(snow) Snowflurry : Under effluvium effect, clouds grow black, snow fall down.
=> debuff : enemies can't detect warframes & allies if not close to them
=> buff : create an additive range to ability 2 & 3 (additionnal range based on power strength)

(thunder) Storm force : As cumulonimbus growl above, Tenno feel their strength increased.
=> buff : tenno within Ekaitz range receive additionnal power strength
=> buff : create an additive range to ability 2 & 3

Passive ability : air control
Double-jump higher ; can roll 2x times in the air
+when 4 is active, staying in the air keep Ekaitz invisible to enemies.

Augment idea :
3rd ability : Peal of Terror / Lighting cascade
(snow) Peal of Terror : the ability (Press & Hold) will no longer force reload animation, but enemies will drop their weapons to equip melee.
(thunder) Lighting cascade : (need 4 activated) once fully charged, any use of this ability will create (1- the intended lighting ; (2- additionnal lightings spawning within the range of the 4th ability (number of lighting depends on power duration).

4th ability : Striping snowstorm / Formia's fire
(snow) Striping snowstorm : any damage done to an enemy will strip its armor.
(thunder) Formia's fire : the storm will continuously create small harmless fire on the ground (for limited duration, only within 4's range) & will attract enemy's attention.

----note:
Every name could change for sure, I tried to introduce a bit of exotic/original material than the usual "thunder, storm, lighting, wind & breeze"...
About "Effluvium": it's directly from Victor Hugo's work (in french: l'effluve), which is supposed to be an invisible (magnetic) fluid linking Water & Wind and which can explain how sea / ocean / waves / tempest are happening. I thought that would be a nice reference & introduce some weird "orokin found mecanic that allow you to control things logicaly while looking like magic"

Hope my usual 'not-native engrish language' didn't bother you reading all of this. It took me more time than I thought to make this concept.

What do you think about it ?

---------------------------------------------------------/
PS: I looked a bit before posting and I only found one suggestion/concept about a warframe based around the "Storm":

I worked on my warframe before knowing about him & his concept; so maybe we could join, compare things or else...

Tbh i think its too powerful with too many variations. It would probably need to be scaled back almost by half to be considered.

The logistics of getting a frame with all those different press/hold options working would be a nightmare, and might take 3x longer just to get working, never mind balanced. Like the 4 powers are split into 12 individual powers with their own individual mechanics. Thats a lot. And some of the powers dont fit the theme either. I get it increasing someones movement speed but how does wind help someones reload speed? Who's ringing the bell in the distance? Why is a fire attracting enemies towards it and how is that Tropical or Boreal?

I wouldn't go so far as to say it needs to go back to the drawing board, theres a few good ideas there, but it almost looks like there WAS a Warframe idea there a few weeks ago, and then in the meantime there was a lot of extra dumped on top of it that doesn't fit any one theme now.

Keep in mind though, this is meant as constructive and obv just 1 opinion. I just think its too much though. Lock-in one theme and stick to it and it might work.

il y a 7 minutes, (PS4)MYKK678 a dit :

Keep in mind though, this is meant as constructive and obv just 1 opinion. I just think its too much though. Lock-in one theme and stick to it and it might work.

And I thank you very much for that; I put plenty of time just to try to give "everything possible around that theme" - so by your conclusion, and I can only agree with you: I went overboard.

I try to answer you question first:

il y a 10 minutes, (PS4)MYKK678 a dit :

I get it increasing someones movement speed but (1) how does wind help someones reload speed? (2) Who's ringing the bell in the distance? (3) Why is a fire attracting enemies towards it and (4) how is that Tropical or Boreal?

1-) In my head, the ability was creating some sort of a constant air current following every move of the target - making the move easier. But yeah, the reload speed is too much (we already get a mobility boost, an additionnal attack boost would be too strong; mostly when if you look at Wisp getting similar buff: the ability itself is locked by her "space flower", while here it's pure AoE around Ekaitz). Need then to be removed.
2-) The bell is purely made by Ekaitz air/atmosphere (or "Effluvium") controle - the idea behind is to simulate despair when a boat is facing a disastrous storm (the bell would be either from the sinking ship itself, or from sea buoy equiped with bell telling the crew that all is lost). Wih your comment, it makes me think of something i'll write later.
3-) These fires are "St. Elmo's fire" (too much electricity in the air would create such things): my description is pretty bad, but I meant that "the enemy will shoot at them if it's the nearest target".
4-) Most probably a poor choice of word I had to take: if at first it appears difficult to create a distinction between storms, I do believe temperatures are giving us a split. "Tropical" would be a funky way to say "classical" (thunder, lightning, possible raining + which could create these St.Elmo's fire), while "Boreal" intend to refer to specific & low temperature events (ex: Galerna is a violent & cold storm) which are said to be "quiet/silent" outside the storm.

------
Your answer, the fact there are 12 powers, and my own explanation for the (2); all of that make me conclude that by trying to "just translate something from Hugo's book" I'm not drawing a warframe, but a confusion of two... We just need to ... "cut in half" (Vor's reference).
The first would be the "Storm" (in a classical way to view it), while the other (whose playing with low temperatures) would represent somekind of " Disaster / a shipwreck " (where the Bell thing would be more in its place).

As result of the cut, we have:
Lightning :

Révélation

1st ability : (???)
???
Refreshing will grant a « Second Breath » bonus, which add strengh to the next ability.

2nd ability : Brise
Ekaitz causes a wind to help its allies in all their moves.
=> bonus : speed (moves, reload, casting abilities) increased around Ekaitz for Tenno, Operators & NPC.

3rd ability : Tximista
Ekaitz will manipulate the atmosphere to create powerful lighting against its foe.
-press : a lighting emanates from Ekaitz, hurting enemies around it ;
-hold : a lighting strikes down the area targeted by Ekaitz, hurting enemies around it.
     Charge mecanic : each press-attack will charge the hold-attack (up to 3 times).

(Heat & Electricity damages, based on Enemy's Health %)

4th ability : Storm force
As cumulonimbus growl above, Tenno feel their strength increased.
=> buff : tenno within Ekaitz range receive additionnal power strength
=> buff : create an additive range to ability 2 & 3

Passive ability : air control
Double-jump higher ; can roll 2x times in the air
+when 4 is active, staying in the air keep Ekaitz invisible to enemies.

Augment idea :
3rd ability : Lighting cascade
(need 4 activated) once fully charged, any use of this ability will create (1- the intended lighting ; (2- additionnal lightings spawning within the range of the 4th ability (number of lighting depends on power duration).

4th ability : Formia's fire
The storm will continuously create small harmless fire on the ground (for limited duration, only within 4's range) - enemies will consider these fire as target.

We get a nearly full agressive character, which is not "press X to kill the room"; while keeping few tools to stay alive (4+passive invisibility & 4th augment to get distractions).
+we fully keep on the "atmospheric / classical storm" theme

Disaster:

Révélation

1st ability : ???

2nd ability : Galerna
A strong & cold wind slows down the enemies, with a chance to freeze some around the warframe.
=> debuff : reduce enemy speed around Ekaitz, chance to proc Cold status.

3rd ability : Peals of Bell
-press : a bell is ringing once ; nearby enemies are forced to reload ;
-hold : a brontide is heard, nearly hiding the sounds of a bell ; nearby enemies are forced to reload and confusion will proc.

4th ability : Snowflurry
Under effluvium effect, clouds grow black, snow fall down.
=> debuff : enemies can't detect warframes & allies if not close to them
=> buff : create an additive range to ability 2 & 3 (additionnal range based on power strength)

Passive ability : air control (??? to keep ???)

Augment idea :
3rd ability : Peal of Terror / Lighting cascade
The ability (Press & Hold) will no longer force reload animation, but enemies will drop their weapons to equip melee.

4th ability : Striping snowstorm
Any damage done to an enemy will strip its armor.

Here, we have a character who tend to play survival & defense mission (slow enemy, stun, add protection range & remove weapon), but which as also a tool for high-lvl stuff (4th augment removing armor faster).

Still the 1st & passive ability to work/re-work on both; but we came from 12 powers back to 5 (+bonus with augments) for Ekaitz "lightning variant" - and 5 (+augments) for Disaster.

What do you think of these changes?

Archived