Fairly new player asking: How to Improve survivability?

Question

I'm fairly new to the game (been playing for close to 2 weeks) and I've been mostly mainlining the game doing whatever quests I can unlock. I did some grinding on the side (mostly to get the warframes/weapons I got from quest rewards) plus the obligatory grind you need to do to unlock the junctions. I'm now at Neptune and I feel like I did something wrong because for the most part I've been surviving without any major issues (just dying a couple of times per mission since europa but it's manageable) but now enemies just shred my shields and HP in seconds.
I admit I haven't engaged fully on the mods part, mainly because it's too overwhelming and honestly I really didn't need to because autoslot was working, until now. I'm fairly sure that my huge lack of good mods is also to blame.

Since that I've been reading the wiki in hopes of getting up to speed with what do I need to focus on to improve my survival and that's when I realized I need mods I haven't even heard of.

So, TL;DR: I'm a noob that got pretty far in the game by sheer luck and slammed into a brick wall.

Regarding equipment I currently own:
Warframes: Excalibur[30], Frost[30], Hydroid Prime[30] (Thanks Tennocon), Oberon[30], Rhino[6], Vauban[30]
Primary: Boar[30], Braton[30], Corinth[30], Gorgon[30], Miter[30], Vulkar[30]
Secondary: Athodai[30], Cestra[30], Kraken[30], Seer[30], Twin Gremlins[30], Stubba[0]
Melee: Amphis[30], Cronus[30], Fragor[30], Heat Sword[30], Obex[30], Lecta[30], Skana[30], Xoris[30]

What are my options? (besides learning how to mod correctly) Should I go back to earth and grind each planet for mods?

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond!

18 answers to this question

mods are gonna be really important. i recommend trying to get vitality and redirection maxed as that will help you a lot, as well for survivability i recommend using rhino with the armor mod (forgot the name). good luck on your war frame journey

Hiya, this all depends on your MR and which mods you do have.

I can give a straightforward answer to get you going:

1. Look into the different damage types. The wiki is quite comprehensive on this. Once you know what does what you can look at your mod collection and see what would suit you best at any given time. Of course there is such a thing as meta builds and you can definitely go with those, but I think it's good to experiment and see for yourself as well to gain a better understanding.

2. Check out Crit chance, Crit damage, Multishot and status chance. These are all important parts of your guns. Having a good understanding of how this works will help you a lot.

My final suggestion is to check out LeyzarGamingViews. He is very new player friendly in all his vids (although some may have spoilers). 

Chech out this vid on modding. It's great: 

• Like 1

It seems like your arsenal is pretty good for somebody who is late in the star chart. If I had to recommend anything, it'd be to raise your mod game. It's pretty important, as for example, standard Vitality can increase health roughly to 240% when fully upgraded you should also start making presets for weapons and warframe for certain enemies. One for Grineer, one for Corpus and one for Infested. Each faction has different weaknesses, but if you think that's too complex, just use corrosive damage (Frost+Electric on the same weapon). Corrosive damage evaporates the enemy's armour, making it extremely useful at higher enemy levels. Also, try upgrading the core mods, such as Pressure Point for melee, and Reach for your Warframe. That's about all I can think of right now. Happy playing!

You ask a good question and have fallen into the exact same trap that I fell into.  I bounced off Warframe several times before it really clicked as to what I was doing wrong and how the game is meant to be played.  Perhaps I can save you some frustration!  🙂

#1 thing to get a handle on is that different missions can be much easier, or much harder, or even impossible based on the warframe & weapons & mods that you select to use on the mission.  Each mission should be looked at as to the type, the general enemy type, and specifics related to the end point of the mission.  Then select a loadout that fits the task.

Yes, mods are VERY important to how successful you will be and how easy and rewarding missions can be.  There is a reason you can setup different loadouts for complete gear setups, individual mod selections and so forth.  It can even be to your advantage to research where a particular mod drops so you can go farm it.

Main thing is to try and learn everything you can about warframes, their abilities, weapons, mods, companions.  It makes a huge difference.  🙂

Good Luck and Good Hunting

• Like 1

Survivability for warframes, outside of their abilities, is done with specific mods. The most common mods to help with survivability are the following:

Vitality (increases health)
Redirection (increases shields)
Steel Fiber (increases armor)
Quick Thinking (drains energy instead of taking fatal damage. Works kind of like mana shield from Diablo 2)

Understanding how damage resists work is also pretty important. As is understanding shield vs health and the definitiion of effective health (health with armor/resists factored in).

Vitality is generally better than redirection because shields do not receive damage reduction from your armor stat. So when you add Steel Fiber to your mod config you will generally take less health damage.

Warframe abilities like Oberon's 2+3 combo give a pretty significant amount of health per second as well as armor for the duration of the ability's use.

Making warframes effective for strong drain combos like Oberon's 2+3 rely on Fleeting Expertise, Streamline and Flow (primed flow) as well as duration mods such as Narrow Minded and Continuity (primed continuity). A highly efficient Oberon has lots of health regen and can push you through most of the star chart with ease.

Aside from mods you will want to invest in the following gear items:

Large Squad Energy Restore
Large Squad Health Restore

Both of these things will effectively support your survivability (extra energy and health respectively)

Pets can also help with survivability:

The Synth mod set, for example, generates more health orbs while giving you passive magazine reloading on weapons you're not currently using. Both of these factor into general survivablity by making you generally more powerful.

There are certainly more factors to consider but at your point in the game I think the points I've addressed should push you through the star chart and into higher level content.

EDIT:

Also, it is very important to do whatever you can to get more endo. Running survival missions, doing they Ayatan hunt from Maroo's bazaar, picking up any/all ayatan gems in missions (forget the exact name. the blue and orange things that randomly pop out of containers) to slot into Ayatan scupltures (selling these nets a lot of endo. You can do like 1500-4000 a week with only maroo's bazaar). You're going to need tons of endo to max all of your mods. Prioritize the mods I listed in this response to ensure you have baseline survivability options for all of your warframes.

Edited by Leqesai

Simplest solution - invest in Rhino while you are progressing through starchart / collecting + improving mods / figuring things out.

His Iron Skin is one the best and simplest survivability tools, as long as you don't run head-first into nullifiers.

Fancy stuff like healing, damage reduction mods, arcanes etc come later.

• Like 2

Well, it looks like I have a lot to do!
Thanks everyone for the nuanced and quick responses!

6 minutes ago, lexandritte said:

Simplest solution - invest in Rhino while you are progressing through starchart / collecting + improving mods / figuring things out.

His Iron Skin is one the best and simplest survivability tools, as long as you don't run head-first into nullifiers.

I will focus primarily on using Rhino then!
Btw I noticed that you have a Cohhlition logo, funny how Cohh was the one who made me give warframe a try!

19 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Hiya, this all depends on your MR and which mods you do have.

I can give a straightforward answer to get you going:

1. Look into the different damage types. The wiki is quite comprehensive on this. Once you know what does what you can look at your mod collection and see what would suit you best at any given time. Of course there is such a thing as meta builds and you can definitely go with those, but I think it's good to experiment and see for yourself as well to gain a better understanding.

2. Check out Crit chance, Crit damage, Multishot and status chance. These are all important parts of your guns. Having a good understanding of how this works will help you a lot.

My final suggestion is to check out LeyzarGamingViews. He is very new player friendly in all his vids (although some may have spoilers). 

Chech out this vid on modding. It's great: 

Thank you for the video! I'll certainly give it a look and watch more of their videos.

4 minutes ago, Nogs said:

Don't forget movement.  Jump, glide, slide.  Keep moving, it helps to lower the accuracy of the mobs as well

Yeah, that's how I've been surviving mostly since Jupiter till now, I'm no space ninja but I think I have the mobility thing fairly nailed down.

Survivability come down to 3 basic things:

1. Avoiding damage: whether by mobility, taking cover, CC-ing enemies, or using abilities (like Rhinos) for protection. Often, just making sure you don't let an enemy face you, or moving quickly, will stop a lot of damage, in fact, most star-chart enemies will always miss for a while, based on level. Shield-gating is a new way, but the larger yours are, the longer they'll take to fully restore and re-establish the gate.
  2. Surviving damage: Basically turning you health into Effective-Health. This can be using Shields (which have 25% damage reduction), armour for DR, Abilities (like Nezha/Gara's, ect), or resistance mods. Different sources of DR are multiplicative, so two lots of 90%DR make 99%DR. Though there is a min damage value, 100-hp with 90%DR will absorb 1000 damage, so you have 1000-ehp.
  3. Replacing health/Shields: Simply put, if you have 100-ehp and you take 50 damage, then heal by 30, before taking another 50, you'll have survived taking you're full health in damage. Shields regen naturally (though more slowly if fully broken), so you can just retreat to let them recharge, but health will need abilities, mods, arcanes, or items.

Also note: Toxin damage & poisoning will both bypass shields and Bleeding will bypass armour DR.

To start: use Steelfibre/Vitality/Redirection to augment the strength of a specific frame.

eg Frost has decent armour (and a uses it for a single dome cast) so multiplying it will give you decent armour amounts; in contrast, Trinity has little armour and 2 DR abilities, so adding % armour to her won't be much use, as it'll still be very low (though you could still add flat armour values to her, with mods like Health_Conversion or Arcane_Guardian).

If you're in a clan, I'd really suggest building Nezha:

His ward gives 90%DR, prevents all procs on you and stops Health_Conversion losing charges, so you'll have 99%DR on health and 92.5%DR on shields. His 2 will always make a health orb and half the time make an energy orb. His 4 will hard CC most enemies, so they can't damage you and can be mass debuffed with his 2, for double damage(+) and orbs.

Also, as a last note, in tier-4 void missions, all players and allies have resistances debuffed to take double-to-triple damage, like the tower's an evil Rhino, so avoiding damage become much more important.

Edited by TheArcSet

It bears mentioning that whenever DE make new enemies, including as variants when they do tileset reworks, they are always anachronistic in strength - whether you see them interspersed through the entire chart, or just on a specific area (and whether that area comes early or late), they're just given new shiny weaponry above their pay grade and thrown out without a second thought for newer player progression.

So it might not really be you doing something wrong per se, it might just be that you happened to dip your toes into a spot with one of these off-curve enemy variants and that plus the raising level of the chart as you go is what made you feel like you just hit some abrupt wall.

Neptune's got a few nodes of the reworked Corpus Ship tileset, and those enemies are beastly. You will have run by them before at lower levels where they were more manageable, but you're in the right spot for Juno Elite Crewmen to start showing up with their explosive-ammo Supras to ruin your day.

Compare Galatea and Neso with Triton and Larissa. You might find the first pair - not on the reworked Ship and using older basic enemies - are still more or less what you've been experiencing up to now, while the second pair - on the reworked Ship - are giving you that trouble.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

It bears mentioning that whenever DE make new enemies, including as variants when they do tileset reworks, they are always anachronistic in strength - whether you see them interspersed through the entire chart, or just on a specific area (and whether that area comes early or late), they're just given new shiny weaponry above their pay grade and thrown out without a second thought for newer player progression.

So it might not really be you doing something wrong per se, it might just be that you happened to dip your toes into a spot with one of these off-curve enemy variants and that plus the raising level of the chart as you go is what made you feel like you just hit some abrupt wall.

Neptune's got a few nodes of the reworked Corpus Ship tileset, and those enemies are beastly. You will have run by them before at lower levels where they were more manageable, but you're in the right spot for Juno Elite Crewmen to start showing up with their explosive-ammo Supras to ruin your day.

Compare Galatea and Neso with Triton and Larissa. You might find the first pair - not on the reworked Ship and using older basic enemies - are still more or less what you've been experiencing up to now, while the second pair - on the reworked Ship - are giving you that trouble.

Huh, that's a very interesting point, though I'm not sure I've crossed paths with those types of units.

I've only tried the nodes that are opened after you beat Uranus Junction and they just deleted me.

Fortunately with some extra farming and the right warframe/weapons I'll be able to get going.

2 minutes ago, Ruthrion said:

Huh, that's a very interesting point, though I'm not sure I've crossed paths with those types of units.

I've only tried the nodes that are opened after you beat Uranus Junction and they just deleted me.

Fortunately with some extra farming and the right warframe/weapons I'll be able to get going.

I named the ones that are right by the entry to Neptune for your convenience. You land right on Galatea (which should be safe-ish), then go either up towards Despina (still the 'safe' tileset, but Excavation) or down to Triton which is dangerous rework-land.

These other responses gave you good information on approach for future survival, so I just thought I'd offer a little perspective instead. Good hunting, Tenno.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

I named the ones that are right by the entry to Neptune for your convenience. You land right on Galatea (which should be safe-ish), then go either up towards Despina (still the 'safe' tileset, but Excavation) or down to Triton which is dangerous rework-land.

These other responses gave you good information on approach for future survival, so I just thought I'd offer a little perspective instead. Good hunting, Tenno.

Oh cool! I'm bad at names on maps, plus I get them mixed up most of the time. 😋

Thanks for the recommendation on which path to choose, but I think for now I'm safer going back and getting that Rhino up to speed plus farming some more decent mods.

If you don't want to learn to mod (which you should eventually do, but no rush) just hop inside your Rhino and use his second ability, Iron Skin.  It will make you durable enough to survive most of the Star Chart.  When it wears out, just recast it.

You will really NEED to learn how to properly mod though. That's one thing you cannot avoid in this game. If you hate the mod system, you might as well quit the game, honestly, because it's a core mechanic. But the good news is, if you can have enough patience to learn some basics, you'll never really notice the system that much, as a basic build will get you through 90% of the weapons in this game, and make them capable of destroying high level content. The frames are the only things you might have to worry about, and even there, there are a few base, mods are mostly unimportant set ups that can help you finish the star chart. 

But if you want to reach high level content and better rewards, you will have to learn the mod system. 

14 hours ago, Ruthrion said:

Should I go back to earth and grind each planet for mods?

Lots of good advice already from others but I want to touch on this one point.  Mod drops (and all drops in general) in warframe are very specific.  Enemy X drops mod Y.  A certain mission type of a tier might reward mod Z on rotation C (ex tier 1 spy or tier 3 defense).  When you go about grinding mods its pretty important to identify which mod(s) you want and then figure out what drops them and at what drop rate.  There are better and worse places to farm the same thing.

Then its just about playing the game a bunch in the places or missions that get you the thing you want.  I always suggest spy missions to newer players.  The rewards for them are really quite good

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Spy/Rewards

The overall drop tables are published by DE for transparency (don't mind the crazy URL):

https://n8k6e2y6.ssl.hwcdn.net/repos/hnfvc0o3jnfvc873njb03enrf56.html

Nightmare mods and corrupted mods are also important to get.  Not all of them of course but high end builds almost always have some of either or both.

Getting the proper mods is only the first step.  Then you need to max rank them and that take A LOT of endo and credits.

17 hours ago, lexandritte said:

I'd agree with this, especially if you also get his Iron Charge augment that will boost his Iron Skin durability. Keep in mind that Iron Skin is also scaled on Armor, so stacking those mods is especially useful. If you have the extra Plat, you can also pick up an Adaptation mod that comes from the Arbitration missions, that can allow you to absorb up to 90% of ANY damage type. It's extremely helpful on squishier frames.

Once you get high enough Mastery to open up the Sacrifice quest, you'll also get some specialized Umbra mods that will help boost Vitality, Armor, and Strength. Good luck 😄