Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Since when has "power fantasy" become a compelling argument against game balance?

Flying_Scorpion

• 3 months later...
On 2020-08-19 at 8:16 PM, Flying_Scorpion said:

Warframe is an action game. You know what separates edge of your seat "action" from falling asleep in your chair "action"? If the protagonist is actually put at risk. Like if they *might* actually die or fail or whatever. If the protagonist effortlessly overcame any semblance of a challenge, it would become predictable and boring. If the protagonist barely manages to overcome the challenge, it keeps you on the edge of your seat.

That is all. Feel free to trash me now because I said something that conflicts with your worldview.

Lol, nekro’d.

Original Terminator in the Police Station still counters this argument.

By all usual videogame standards, Warframe is a "Win-Simulator." 

Instead of challenge in the gameplay itself, DE had the idea to move it to the RNG instead. The "win condition" in Warframe is not "successfully complete the mission" (which is guaranteed), instead it's "get lucky with the RNG." The great thing about this for devs is that they don't have to balance the actual game, instead they just balance the RNG.

This has proven to be extremely successful. We can complain about it, and I will join you in your complaints - the foundation of the game is really fun and would be great if there was engaging gameplay for experienced players. But the success speaks for itself, this situation will not be changed. For the foreseeable future, Warframe will be a win-simulator with RNG rewards tailored to keep players around just long enough until the next content drop.

43 minutes ago, nerfinator6 said:

DE: makes us progressively more powerful over 7 years

Playerbase: ok sure

DE: releases new mode with tough enemies, playerbase immediately yeets them

Playerbase: how dare you make us so OP we thought you wanted the game to be balanced

this is you.

i wasnt there 5 or 7 years back but what players were supposed to say or react when theyre being received with more power ? say no ? and why would they say no to that , devs couldve just .. not introduce power creep with the exponential scalings if they wanted balance.  

Archived